Monaghan Forum

Lack of support

(Oldest Posts First)

I am dismayed by the lack of the support in Croke park after all these boys having giving us and the majority of supporters showed the team a lack of respect today. After we were beaten in Mayo the support was poor in letterkenny and after last Sunday the support was abysmal yet again. a massive crowd went to Kerry because of the weekend away not to support the team.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 12/04/2015 18:42:36    1713368

Link

I figured there would be a thread on this subject this morning. I would think you're being a bit harsh saying the fans showed the team a lack of respect. It's hard for some people to raise the enthusiasm to go to a second game in a week when they've been hammered by the opposition already. Yes we can all trumpet about being real and loyal fans but the reality is that for some people they have to pick and choose which games they go to because of commitments money etc. Dublin Cork and Donegal didn't exactly travel in numbers either.

To say that after the Mayo game there was a bad turnout in Donegal suggests that there was a good turnout in Castlebar. As someone who was there I can categorically state that this wasn't the case.

Monaghan have always had great support even in bad times so I don't think it's appropriate to suggest that we're fair weather supporters, I remember a great turnout a few years ago in Tullamore to witness probably the worst performance by a Monaghan team in my lifetime.

Be proud and don't be too quick to judge.

bluemoon (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 13/04/2015 10:18:42    1713573

Link

The biggest Monaghan away supports were in Kerry and Mayo which suggested people went for a weekend away and the football was second. Bar the season ticket holders few people bought tickets during the week. Yes money is a factor granted but it's a national semi final so we should have more. If people can make it to kerry they can make it to Dublin.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 13/04/2015 10:35:42    1713586

Link

I was very surprised how few Monaghan supporters were there.. when Monaghan scored there was only a handful of people cheering.. Even among the season ticket holders there was a lot of empty seats..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 13/04/2015 11:41:08    1713636

Link

definitely only a handful alright. That period in second half when we started to get on top and played some lovely football, you could have heard a pin drop as the Dublin crowd were very quiet and there was the odd roar of encouragement from the few souls that travelled. They missed a good game of football.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1513 - 13/04/2015 12:25:35    1713681

Link

Was a fairish crowd ...just so spread out, if you buy your tickets online or through Super Valu you can't guarantee you'll be in with a crowd - so atmosphere harder to generate - I was in the lower cusask towards the Davin end and there was decent crew but also thought more could have made the effort

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 67 - 13/04/2015 14:07:53    1713732

Link