Monaghan Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Blooding players. The only two newcomers played today Woods and Lavelle that didn't feature under O'Rourke. This is Malachy's team. Four out the starting forwards taken off all young lads and Woods.

Monaghan were extremely lucky, surely Drew Wylie could play Centre back on the heavy ground. Seems to have been wrote of by banty.
Also when a player is taken of its manners to acknowledge him.

Need to be flying on all cylinders next week, as our neighbours will be hurting and mad to prove a lot of people wrong."
Are lacking physical presence in central areas right through team from defence through midfield right up to attack. Dont think Drew wylie has the legs anymore and Vinny Corey hasn't been replaced.
High standard players in their prime v hard to replace in fairness. The experienced players the Hughes lads Fintan Kelly Malone and hopefully Kearns will be big players next week to win the physical battle in what is sure to be a dog fight. Am assuming walshe is injured. Think you are Cavan will be hurting and raring to go. This really is where banty 2.0 gets judged.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1496 - 25/10/2020 18:08:42    2301264

Link

Very inconsistent today, but we remain in division 1.
I wouldn't write off Cavan yet - the danger of a wounded animal etc. However I think Graham counting on Monaghan having the favourites title to go in their favour; same way as he was counting on yesterday's game being cancelled.
We are in clones so would expect a good performance.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 828 - 25/10/2020 18:29:30    2301278

Link

Will Kearns be available next week? He really is a massive loss when out of the team.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 872 - 25/10/2020 18:59:26    2301297

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Blooding players. The only two newcomers played today Woods and Lavelle that didn't feature under O'Rourke. This is Malachy's team. Four out the starting forwards taken off all young lads and Woods.

Monaghan were extremely lucky, surely Drew Wylie could play Centre back on the heavy ground. Seems to have been wrote of by banty.

Need to be flying on all cylinders next week, as our neighbours will be hurting and mad to prove a lot of people wrong."
Yes but these players need to be given game time to get the experience and shine. It's quite obvious some of them are inexperienced and not physical enough but banty is giving them the game time.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 208 - 25/10/2020 20:04:53    2301337

Link

Garland, O Hanlon, Carey, mcGuinness, and not a score between them. McCarthy 1 point from play. I dunno how many wides, into double figures anyway. Not good enough.
We made 4 goal chances in the first half, and only (just about) managed to take 1.
We were told that Banty had put together some sort of management dream team for us. Does Laverys input include training guys to put the thing over the bar?
If it wasn't for Mansy today, (and Meath surely winning the 'goal miss of the year' award), we were toast. Again, he was God-like.
At the other end we were defensively all over the place, every time Meath went down their right wing in the 2nd half, they looked like getting a goal.
If Donegal, Tyrone, or even Armagh were looking at that, do you think they'd be worried about meeting us? No chance.
I don't see where the alleged progress is from last year, we may have peaked for 2020 against the Dubs in February...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 25/10/2020 20:12:36    2301341

Link

Fully agree, Mccarthy is still beeing blooded in since 2015-16, he should be playing a full game as another poster said he could nab a goal or anything at any given time, he seems to be taken off very easily.. Imo we're still the only team to really give young lads a proper go, it's still very much our strongest team of reliables and we're relying On Manzy to pull it out of the bag, we've had very successful underage teams in recent years, how many of them have had a proper go in the league? Dessie Ward? Mcmanus, Hughes x2 and Oconnell should only be featuring more this end of the league.

This team is very capable of winning and Ulster and I feel like we're going into it still experimenting, Lavelle should of been in midfield throughout the league, no reason why Wylie could of been used at CHB, he's very versatile and has the brains to play anywhere, definitely would of shored things up back there when meath were getting in very easily. We cannot be this open and poor at the back next week. Which usually isn't like us.

For me I'd have K. Hughes In for Garland to help around d the middle, with O'Hanlon moving in next to Mcmanus, however I think Banty will go with Malone and Carey next week. Leagues over and done with, Cavan will be mad to get back on track and make another final and I feel they'll be more than up to it to take us out in our own home. Realistically they're not too far off Meath in Quality.

Nonetheless delighted for another year in the top flight, onwards to next week

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 25/10/2020 21:04:25    2301376

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Yes but these players need to be given game time to get the experience and shine. It's quite obvious some of them are inexperienced and not physical enough but banty is giving them the game time."
It's almost like staying up in div1 has become our new ulster, it's meant to be a great place to blood new lads yet I'm yet to see us do that compared to Tyrone and Donegal as such. Have we no faith in them?

We seen a bit of Mulligan at the start of the year, Lavelle was thrown in the deep today. Woods got some time, I understand you can't play every game with young lads but I'd rather have our main lads rested and coming in the last 2-3games getting minutes under their belt. Looking back at our other league games the team was almost identical the whole way through particularly are defence , just no Kearns the last 2 games, Kelly coming in and Bannigan moving to half forward. I think us as fans would of liked to have seen more lads get a run,

Some day our core players will go and we'll have a very raw team with little experience.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 25/10/2020 21:31:06    2301393

Link

Jack Mccarron a big loss especially with a winter championship. Mccarthy might be carrying an injury v talented player but doesn't look.right which leaves us short up front. Dont see o hanlon mcguinness or garland as starters good options off the bench when game opens up. Mcmanus won't get space he got yesterday so up to other players to contribute. Think Banty will go with team which started against kerry with mcmanus the only change. Kearns must not be fit otherwise he'd got minutes yesterday.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1496 - 26/10/2020 08:38:12    2301464

Link

The first thing and main thing is that we have retained our Division One status for a 7th year. This is no mean feat, it is longer than we spent in the top flight in the glory years of the late 80's. However, the worrying thing would be that it was retained on the performances of February and March because we are a pale version of that team at the minute. Without Conor McManus and Meath having the worst miss I've ever seen on a GAA pitch, we would have lost yesterday and would have had to endure an uncomfortable 2 minutes while a 14 man Tyrone hung on v Mayo.

What has changed? Well, obviously Niall Kearns is a huge miss. We saw in 2019 how important he was to us when he wasn't there and we're seeing it again. If Kearns was playing we could put Kieran Hughes in the Full Forward line and give our attacks a new dimension. Also the Micheal Bannigan experiment in the forwards is not working. Pace alone is not enough to be an inter county forward, you need guile too. I think he was a far better player and a far bigger threat when he was wing half back. Also, and there's not much we can do about this but I don't think there is a team that feeds off their fans more than Monaghan do.

One of the big plusses of the earlier rounds was that we seemed to have taken the scoring load off Conor McManus. In the first 5 rounds of the league, Mansy scored under 30% of all our scores. In some games he wasn't even the top Monaghan scorer. In the last 2 games he has contributed just shy of 50% and that's not allowing for the fact he didn't play the first half v Kerry. If you do, the percentage becomes close to 60%. Obviously Jack not being around is a factor and Conor McCarthy seems to be out of sorts at the moment.

However, I think the management should be persevering with McCarthy. I don't think it is a good idea to be substituting him, especially so early in both recent games. I think he was never fully embraced by Malachy and it affected his confidence. But now he should be one of our main men and I think Banty is doing him or us no favours with the early subbing. We don't have many genuine forwards of quality in the county (one of our other forwards has more yellow cards than points in this campaign), I think we should have let Conor play himself into some form and to some confidence, he isn't going to get either on the bench. Also to echo ShaggyLegend, acknowledging a player coming off is just basic manners.

It was Ryan McAnaspie's best game for a while but he was very naive in the last minute when giving the ball away for what ended up being the equaliser by forcing a needless pass when all we needed was to keep the ball for another 30 seconds for the win.

Kieran Duffy is playing the best football of his career and is showing how much more there is to his game than just being a defender.

Thought Dermot Malone steadied the ship when he came on.

Yesterday wouldn't fill you with much confidence but Cavan are in much worse nick, they couldn't beat a weakened Roscommon team who were already promoted. And as long as our No 15 jersey is being filled by the genius from Clontibret, we will give anyone a game.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 26/10/2020 10:01:22    2301491

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "The first thing and main thing is that we have retained our Division One status for a 7th year. This is no mean feat, it is longer than we spent in the top flight in the glory years of the late 80's. However, the worrying thing would be that it was retained on the performances of February and March because we are a pale version of that team at the minute. Without Conor McManus and Meath having the worst miss I've ever seen on a GAA pitch, we would have lost yesterday and would have had to endure an uncomfortable 2 minutes while a 14 man Tyrone hung on v Mayo.

What has changed? Well, obviously Niall Kearns is a huge miss. We saw in 2019 how important he was to us when he wasn't there and we're seeing it again. If Kearns was playing we could put Kieran Hughes in the Full Forward line and give our attacks a new dimension. Also the Micheal Bannigan experiment in the forwards is not working. Pace alone is not enough to be an inter county forward, you need guile too. I think he was a far better player and a far bigger threat when he was wing half back. Also, and there's not much we can do about this but I don't think there is a team that feeds off their fans more than Monaghan do.

One of the big plusses of the earlier rounds was that we seemed to have taken the scoring load off Conor McManus. In the first 5 rounds of the league, Mansy scored under 30% of all our scores. In some games he wasn't even the top Monaghan scorer. In the last 2 games he has contributed just shy of 50% and that's not allowing for the fact he didn't play the first half v Kerry. If you do, the percentage becomes close to 60%. Obviously Jack not being around is a factor and Conor McCarthy seems to be out of sorts at the moment.

However, I think the management should be persevering with McCarthy. I don't think it is a good idea to be substituting him, especially so early in both recent games. I think he was never fully embraced by Malachy and it affected his confidence. But now he should be one of our main men and I think Banty is doing him or us no favours with the early subbing. We don't have many genuine forwards of quality in the county (one of our other forwards has more yellow cards than points in this campaign), I think we should have let Conor play himself into some form and to some confidence, he isn't going to get either on the bench. Also to echo ShaggyLegend, acknowledging a player coming off is just basic manners.

It was Ryan McAnaspie's best game for a while but he was very naive in the last minute when giving the ball away for what ended up being the equaliser by forcing a needless pass when all we needed was to keep the ball for another 30 seconds for the win.

Kieran Duffy is playing the best football of his career and is showing how much more there is to his game than just being a defender.

Thought Dermot Malone steadied the ship when he came on.

Yesterday wouldn't fill you with much confidence but Cavan are in much worse nick, they couldn't beat a weakened Roscommon team who were already promoted. And as long as our No 15 jersey is being filled by the genius from Clontibret, we will give anyone a game."
Swapping McAnespie into half forward for Bannigan could work, McAnespie can play anywhere to be honest and be good at it, he's reliable for a point or two can get up and down and his chemistry with Beggan for kickouts is good, always a great outlet for them.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 26/10/2020 10:57:14    2301519

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Swapping McAnespie into half forward for Bannigan could work, McAnespie can play anywhere to be honest and be good at it, he's reliable for a point or two can get up and down and his chemistry with Beggan for kickouts is good, always a great outlet for them."
Its not the players, its the system of play promoted by the management. If you play thy game by carrying the ball from your own back line up- field into the opposing half you will find 15 of the other team awaiting your arrival plus 8 of your own team wondering what to do next. The result is either you go down with the ball, (free in or out), pass to a man marked by two defenders, or look for Conor Mc Manus.

Its in this congested area of flailing arms and flying bodies you are expect to score.

Our repeating mistake is holding on to the ball and running from the back.

Possession at the back, from Beggan's, sometimes erratic kick- outs, should be used to send the ball quickly past midfield. This to overcome our problems in the midfield area.

There are now three advantages;

1 The opposition haven't time to run back and arrange a 15- man defence.
2 Space is available for our forwards to run, pass and score.
3 Fast ball does the work, reducing fouling, endless bottlenecks, and recycling up and down the field.

We have played that way before, (the drawn game with Dublin in Croker). All you need is accurate supply- kicking from behind and intelligent running and space- creation up front

If we continue playing from our back line into the massed defence of the opposition (as management seem to want), then don't expect forwards to score when outnumbered 2 to 1.

Overall, our approach is too slow, too predictable and lacking any idea of how to create space for forwards to score. Another problem is the disorganization in defending anytime the opposition attack along the back lines. Who is coaching this team?

Highcatch (Monaghan) - Posts: 25 - 26/10/2020 12:22:36    2301570

Link

We can criticize Banty all we want, but we simply don't have the quality of footballers available to play this style of football. This kicking game works for the top teams that have quality kick passers in the back, and lads that can win ball in the forward line. None of our forwards are capable of consistently winning their own ball and taking on a man, apart from McManus. McCarthy is definitely well capable, but he seems like he's gonna take a few more years to turn into the forward we all hoped for.
Realistically, how many Monaghan players would start for Dublin / Kerry right now? For me, the only certainties are McManus and Beggan, maybe Ryan Wylie. We just don't have the quality to play that kind of game. Play to your strengths.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 84 - 26/10/2020 13:33:49    2301601

Link

Replying To Highcatch:  "Its not the players, its the system of play promoted by the management. If you play thy game by carrying the ball from your own back line up- field into the opposing half you will find 15 of the other team awaiting your arrival plus 8 of your own team wondering what to do next. The result is either you go down with the ball, (free in or out), pass to a man marked by two defenders, or look for Conor Mc Manus.

Its in this congested area of flailing arms and flying bodies you are expect to score.

Possession at the back, from Beggan's, sometimes erratic kick- outs, should be used to send the ball quickly past midfield. This to overcome our problems in the midfield area.

3 Fast ball does the work, reducing fouling, endless bottlenecks, and recycling up and down the field.

We have played that way before, (the drawn game with Dublin in Croker). All you need is accurate supply- kicking from behind and intelligent running and space- creation up front

If we continue playing from our back line into the massed defence of the opposition (as management seem to want), then don't expect forwards to score when outnumbered 2 to 1.

Overall, our approach is too slow, too predictable and lacking any idea of how to create space for forwards to score. Another problem is the disorganization in defending anytime the opposition attack along the back lines. Who is coaching this team?"
Well it is a big improvement on the M O R stand still tactics.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 122 - 26/10/2020 23:49:07    2301838

Link

at least we have something to talk about - hon monaghan

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 105 - 27/10/2020 09:46:28    2301863

Link

Shaggylegend - if Banty won the ALL Ireland DOUBLE you would find fault, your personal agenda clouds your posts every single time, to the stage where you cannot be taken serious. to stay in the league is a great achieve, by playing good football so that stage 1 completed. Lets see how he does from now on.

patmouse (Monaghan) - Posts: 46 - 27/10/2020 17:05:38    2302155

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "
Replying To Highcatch:  "Its not the players, its the system of play promoted by the management. If you play thy game by carrying the ball from your own back line up- field into the opposing half you will find 15 of the other team awaiting your arrival plus 8 of your own team wondering what to do next. The result is either you go down with the ball, (free in or out), pass to a man marked by two defenders, or look for Conor Mc Manus.

Overall, our approach is too slow, too predictable and lacking any idea of how to create space for forwards to score. Another problem is the disorganization in defending anytime the opposition attack along the back lines. Who is coaching this team?"
Well it is a big improvement on the M O R stand still tactics."
Eaten bread soon forgotten there Seamus...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 27/10/2020 22:23:40    2302294

Link

What's the prediction for satuurday ?

A wounded cavan team to fight back or will Monaghan have to much.
If monaghan play that slow laboured build up game, thre in trouble.

Although monaghan owned this fixture in the last decade, there was never much between the teams.

Mc manus could be the difference again....

222 (UK) - Posts: 529 - 29/10/2020 10:51:52    2302750

Link

Replying To 222:  "What's the prediction for satuurday ?

A wounded cavan team to fight back or will Monaghan have to much.
If monaghan play that slow laboured build up game, thre in trouble.

Although monaghan owned this fixture in the last decade, there was never much between the teams.

Mc manus could be the difference again...."
Yeah owned it only just when had a far better side. Cavan have gone back on last year but not convinced by banty 2.0 and the mgmt set up effort to bring side back to life from the mess it was last summer in dying days of malachy. Think we caught likes of mayo tyrone on hop early in the league and were v lucky to stay up. We have gotten weak defensively remain weak in midfield if kearns is out and still hugely reliant on one forward who can't keep bailing us out. Really hope am wrong and likes of woods o hanlon mccarthy kieran Hughes help mcmanus to get us over the line but think cavan will just pip us by a point or two in a dogfight of a game in wet and windy conditions.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1496 - 29/10/2020 19:46:07    2302945

Link