Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Year after year Monaghan is knocked and wrote off by the so called experts. I expect Monaghan to retain their status and pull off a complete of shock results.

Newguy22 (Louth) - Posts: 8 - 31/01/2015 14:55:27    1688341

Link

I know me stuff hi..........;)

I also called a draw but ive changed my mind lastnight,seen Malachy has taken note of how WE SHOULD LINE OUT.........

2 point win maybe more, best of luck lads lets get 2015 of to great start.

Safe journey folks.........Hon the Farney.

[\/][\]

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 31/01/2015 16:53:18    1688381

Link

Great bit of Craic in Omagh last night. I want to say that apart from opening 20 mins the standard of our defending was up there with the best I've ever seen.

Have to mention Darren Hughes. Sometimes you need a leader to step up and take things by the scruff of the neck, and that's what he did.

Thought Ryan McAnespie and Daniel McKenna had very good games. McAdam showed good improvement from the last day too. The other usual suspects put in a good effort.

One point of criticism, we were far too wasteful with our shots, esp in first half. Prob should have been ahead going in at half time

Tyrone certainly were not at their best,

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 01/02/2015 09:50:02    1688569

Link

Great win last night after a bad first 20 minutes. I hope plenty of people get to the match next week and give the lads the support they deserve.

hutto (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 01/02/2015 10:14:30    1688582

Link

Darren Hughes and Kieran really stood up and were counted when monaghan needed them Dessie with two brilliant scores. We started sluggish i think the knock to Sean Cavanagh really helped break Tyrone's momentum, Micky Harte said he had a mild concussion. Its mind boggling Tyrone let him continue. The backs stood up the second half after a sluggish start. The slow laboured passing was our Achilles heel in the first half. Last night also showed the importance of McManus and Finlay for free taking duties. Ryan McAnespie was outstanding but overall you couldn't pick a player that didn't play well for Monaghan.

There will be serious competition for places comes May. I hope Fintan Kelly's injury isn't too bad.

On a side note one thing really annoyed me last night and I find it disgusting. Monaghan supports cheering when Colm Cavanagh got senf off and also the cheers when Monaghan made passes at the end. That's a bad element that does that, the players got caught up in it and even had Dermot Malone trying a stupid pass that on another day could have led to a goal.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 01/02/2015 11:25:58    1688608

Link

brilliant result last night considering were going so well backs were brilliant midfield did well and daniel mckenna played well and laid of a lot of ball roll on cork next week any word on e lennon suas muineachain

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 01/02/2015 12:00:01    1688618

Link

Monaghan give Tyrone too much room in first 15 minutes and it was only when they went man to man that Mattie Donnelly influence was curtailed. I thought Dessie, Darren stood out and backs were excellent but for me Ryan mc Ainespe was absolute class. He ran all match and was great link man and never give the ball away part from 1 wide. He is the future and what's Tyrone's loss is definitely Monaghan gain

Chico (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 01/02/2015 13:50:51    1688644

Link

Great win lastnight, although our slow start will have to be worked on as the are better teams left to play that wont let us back into it.

The younger boys did really well and it will give them a big boost to have won in Omagh.

Next weeks game is even bigger now,a win will leave us with 4 points two off the magic number 6 that is needed to stay up.Although i liked Malachys mindset lastnight in his interview that we are not here just to survive but we are here to compete and win every game we play..........

A word on the booing and cheering.......Some people forget the abuse we received from SOME Tyrone supporters,and their players down through the years.

2011 Dick Clerkin wrongly sent off,the roof near came off the stand........2010 Brian Dooher,Ryan McMenimen and Conor Gormely taking turns at winding our players up in the Ulster Final and them winning by 10 points......2013 Mickey Harte dancing on the pitch in Croke Park after his team Cheat their way to victory over us..........only to name a few.

The boo's and cheers were very mild and noting compared to the abuse that our player and us supporters recieved down through the years....

PS.Not all Tyrone supporters are like this,just to be clear.

Well Done Monaghan........ [\/][\]

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 01/02/2015 16:12:58    1688697

Link

Brilliant result last night.
This win will give us serious confidence going into the Cork Game
Darren Hughes was Awesome.
"Im still on a high" that was our sweetest win in along time
Anyone know when we last defeated Tyrone in Healey park?
Last victory I remember in Omagh was in 2007 when when we beat Donegal in Qualifiers, (another great day).
Onwards and upwards.

Blackhill2014 (Monaghan) - Posts: 5 - 01/02/2015 18:40:09    1688810

Link

Yes 07 is a happy memory for me. My big memory is tommy blowing a kiss to us behind the goal after slotting a goal.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 01/02/2015 19:46:55    1688871

Link

Like other posters, I'm still buzzin after last night. We have had many bad days in Healy Park, so gonna enjoy this one. Worst Tyrone team in a long time and they don't have the marquee players they had 10 years ago. Great for Dick, Jap and co to have stuck it out to enjoy these days. Thought Darren Hughes was excellent. Ryan Wylie was excellent and McAnespie really laid down a marker of what he can do. Dessie's two points were class. Neil McAdam is improving and did well for us. McKenna showed well and would have got more scores if the ball in to him had been better in the first half. Big thing was the belief the boys had to stay with it when they were missin scores, just kept plugging away and got the scores. When we run at teams we are very dangerous. Other years against Tyrone Monaghan would've been bullied, this time we showed that the balance of power in Ulster has changed. Great intensity back in tackling and everyone full of runnin. If we can get Eoin Lennon, Collie Walsh and Chris McGuinness back in we'll take beating. Panel is strong and really hope we can win against Cork, we owe them one. Well done to Malachy & bsckroom team on gettin the boys set up to push on and keep the improvements comin. A good weekend to be a Monaghan supporter.

T1000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 01/02/2015 20:09:22    1688899

Link

A huge win, and great start to our League campaign.
Well done lads.

Knoxboyo (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 01/02/2015 20:13:42    1688904

Link

Congrats on your win lads, I was very impressed by Monaghan. You have a lot of strength across the whole team and the desire to go with it.
Showed our lads up for sure. Well done

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 02/02/2015 10:37:06    1689075

Link

Great win on Sat night and some outstanding performances. As mentioned by everyone Darren Hughes was superb. Dessie made some telling drives forward and Jinxy is playing some of his best football in a Monaghan jersey at the minute. And if McAnespies league debut is a sign of things to come from him then that is a huge plus. Danial McKenna showed glimpses of his danger too and we still need to throw in McManus. Only real negitive is the injury to Fintan Kelly who has been very solid for Monaghan over the past couple of seasons.
But we won't get too carried away. Cork are always tough opponents for us and next Sunday will be no different. But hopefully we hit the ground running from the start on Sunday and another 2 points can be gained

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 329 - 02/02/2015 10:48:23    1689087

Link

Is Fintan Kellys injury bad?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 02/02/2015 11:55:35    1689110

Link

Should we do a Bantyesque last minute pitch change and bring them to rockcorry or somewhere next week?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 02/02/2015 11:59:07    1689114

Link

Monaghan need to make sure not to get carried away with the result from Saturday's night game, they were outplayed for the first 15
minutes of the game, which is a worry. What was great though was the performance of the 3 young guns.. Ryan Wylie got to grips with
Darren McCurry and was a rock at the back. Daniel McKenna caused loads of problems for the Tyrone defence were they could not get hold of him
when he got the ball and finally the star of the show was Ryan mc Anespie who collected the ball and moved it into the forwards with pace, he didn't stop all night and what was nice to see is that is first thought is to kick pass instead of handpass the ball. it's a good sign of things to come..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 02/02/2015 12:16:01    1689130

Link

Excellent win in Omagh. Though it was the tried and tested players that did the damage, it was also great to see some new faces for the first time and both Ryan McAnespie and Daniel McKenna showed up well and look good options in an area where we need them.
A few other observations:
1) What was the catalyst for the dramatic turnaround? Was hard to make out what led to us taking over to such an extent just on the TV coverage. Was there a tactical change?
2) It was amazing the extent we took control. We were basically camped in the Tyrone half for the last 15 minutes of the first half and then again on the resumption. In fact, we probably left another 1-2 or 1-3 behind us in the final few minutes of the second half.
3) We again look very strong at the back. Even with Colin Walshe out. I don't think I've seen Sean Cavanagh as peripheral. Testament to Drew Wylie and stopping any direct ball coming in after Tyrone's initial purple patch.
4) I don't say this often but the referee was excellent. The black and yellow cards were correct and he didn't put up with any Tyrone whingeing after the those decisions.
5) We badly need a free-taker. I'd imagine that Paul Finlay is not going to start every game this season and while Mansy will take a lot of them, another option would be great to have.
6) The win was achieved without one of our best defenders, our best midfielder and our best forward (for all but the final flourish).

Mike Patton (Monaghan) - Posts: 82 - 02/02/2015 12:29:49    1689139

Link

Why is the Cork game in Blayney..... Clones is the Monaghan home ground, and somewhat of fortress for us. No county likes to play us at Clones. You dont see other counties moving home games around the place. When did Cavan last play outside Breffni?

The last time Cork came to Blayney they beat us to relagate us. The extra spin up to Clones would do no harm to them either. With Casement on the slip, we need to showcase Clones as much as possible.

Fair play to the blayney development, but how can we create an atmosphere when the main stand is half a mile from the pitch.... very poor decision... who makes that call and why?

BlueNose (None) - Posts: 28 - 02/02/2015 12:32:54    1689144

Link

There were a few league matches down for blaney last year, but were moved back to clones. I wonder if county matches in blaney are solely to justify it's redevelopment.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 02/02/2015 18:06:38    1689356

Link