UK Forum

'Pre-season' Cups

(Oldest Posts First)

Is it right to call the Tipperary / Murphy / McArdle cups pre-season competitions? A lot of walkovers last year in these cups, perhaps it should be used as a grading system for championship seeding to make it more competitive?

I don't believe clubs treat any of the cup competitions with any great enthusiasm. Any front runners for any of the grades so far, to early to tell so far?

Expect big things this season from Neasden / Brendans and Eire Og personally....

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 88 - 13/03/2015 13:17:51    1702304

Link

Don't think that is a fully fair comment. My club certainly have treated the cups like any other competition and have been lucky to win a couple over the past few years which have meant a lot to the club.

WideBall1 (UK) - Posts: 98 - 16/03/2015 10:36:18    1703241

Link

I agree with CillDara, these cups are used by teams as pre-season.
Games lack any real intensity and are very rarely all played without walkovers.

Have to disagree with you about Eire Og though, played against them last year and they have 2/3 very good players but after that there very average. I heard they lost a few players this year too.

900312ts (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 18/03/2015 14:00:50    1704127

Link

I would agree that teams use these cup comps are treated as pre-season games. Hopefully this season there will not be as many walkovers as last year.... I am sure we will see on Monday how many of the games went ahead.

I think that NLS will be the dark horses in senior this year. They put a good run together last season. I would say Moindearg are ones to watch in the Inter after their clean sweep in Junior last season. With Anthony's coming back into Junior you would have to fancy them to make a mark on the Junior grade. I wouldn't write off Eire Og, I heard they have recruited a few players and now have their own pitch which will be an bonus to them.

YourMaIsYourDa (UK) - Posts: 36 - 18/03/2015 17:57:27    1704239

Link

Now we're in the knockout stages of the Murphy and McCardle Cups are there any further predictions? Who's looking strong this year?

mj92 (UK) - Posts: 12 - 20/04/2015 11:10:24    1715675

Link

I've been surprised this year actually, there haven't been too many walkovers and teams seem to be using the competitions quite effectively. Moindearg have been impressive again this year, shows that there isn't a great gap in standard between Junior and Intermediate grades. Eire Og look strong in Junior although Thomas McCurtains and Anthony's won't be far off the pace come championship, Tir Conaill Juniors have been disappointing considering two/three quite successful years of late although I understand it is examine time and the lads are playing soccer. Senior grade is very difficult to determine at this stage...

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 88 - 20/04/2015 19:08:30    1715837

Link

Anyone see the cup games from the weekend? How did they go?

mj92 (UK) - Posts: 12 - 27/04/2015 16:27:48    1718088

Link