Tyrone Forum

Tyrone Minors

(Oldest Posts First)

the minors produced a pretty impressive game of football against down. although they have some injury doubts for the tie against monaghan on saturday. how do we think these lads will do this year?

tyronelad14 (Tyrone) - Posts: 9 - 21/05/2014 15:55:42    1591438

Link

I would be very very surprised if the injured Conor McKenna and Lee Brennan do not make an appearance at some stage, particularly if Tyrone are under pressure. After a very poor performance against Monaghan in the latter stages of last year's Ulster final Tyrone will, no doubt, be out to gain revenge.

PDaley (Tyrone) - Posts: 3 - 22/05/2014 14:32:13    1591873

Link

yeah, two big misses. although i do think there are some forwards capable of stepping up to the mark while these two lads are out. for example, Pauric mc anenly, fintin mc clure and cormac o hagan. these lads showed a great display of talent last sunday!

tyronelad14 (Tyrone) - Posts: 9 - 22/05/2014 16:13:08    1591963

Link

I see the Gaelic Life reporting that Brian McGuigan and Ricey have been lined up to take the Minors next year. Sounds like a good decision, Ricey in particular has been coaching for years at Dromore

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 560 - 02/09/2014 12:36:08    1646696

Link

Too much politics involved...as usual personal agendas of a few people clouding sensible judgement.
I heard a lot of calls on here in the past for ex county players to be given management roles in certain county teams...results to date for one such appointment - zero championship wins in 2 years.

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 03/09/2014 16:31:29    1647588

Link

What point are you trying to make? That no one who used to play for Tyrone should manage any county teams? As I've said before, we have a group of young men in their thirties retired from county football in the last few years with a number of All Irelands to their name as players. Surely within that group there are people who are willing and able to step forward to take up roles in the county underage structure. Look at Armagh, who had less success than Tyrone, and how many of their All Ireland winners have been in top management positions in Armagh and around Ireland, yet in Tyrone we have had the same old faces and cliques for a long time now.
Tyrone football has been stagnant for some time now and you only have to look at the AI semi finals the last few weeks to see how far we have slipped behind the top teams. We are well ready for a good shake up and change in approach at all management levels, and who better than some of our All Ireland winners and indeed other innovative young coaches to inspire the next generation.

johnboy7 (Tyrone) - Posts: 79 - 04/09/2014 10:40:01    1647816

Link

I think you are educated enough to work out that my point is that the criteria should be more than just being an ex county player, sure there are plenty of ex county players that have and will make very good coaches but just because you have played at a good level that does not mean that you are automatically going to be a good coach.
Playing and coaching are two completely different things and we should never assume that they are one in the same.
There have been many excellent players who have turned their hand to coaching club and county teams who have failed to make the impact people thought they might have; organisation, people management, empathy and communication skills are only a few things that arent really necessary to have in your locker as a player but a must have for any half decent coach.
My real point was not around who would or wouldnt be the best fit for the minor job but it was the fact that the situation is now basically driven by a couple of county board members with their noses out of joint and is nothing to do with getting the best person for the job.

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 05/09/2014 12:18:53    1648356

Link

BTW I have no affiliation with any of the county teams and like most people I would just like to see the best person for the job in place for all of the Tyrone teams, but I have to point out that at the same meeting, a management team for another one of the Tyrone county teams was ratified for another year even though they havent won a single championship game in 2 years whereas the minor management who have won an Ulster Final and reached an All Ireland Final in the last 3 years and failed to be ratified...so to someone like me who is not involved it just doesnt look right.

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 05/09/2014 12:43:22    1648377

Link

So the management situation has been sorted. Heard trials ongoing at the minute. How will things go in 2015?

Inthrough (Donegal) - Posts: 32 - 02/12/2014 12:04:26    1675932

Link

Minors management and performance are important but far more worrying is the failure of players to progress through to U21 and Senior effectively. What needs to be done to solve this bigger problem?

The soft arrogant lack of commitment is destroying the whole picture for GAA in Tyrone

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 02/12/2014 14:24:16    1675978

Link