Monaghan Forum

Monaghan Vs Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The addition of a good physical midfielder would be huge for the team next year as we were hamstrung in that department this year. Anybody got any prospects to keep an eye out for ?

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1505 - 13/08/2014 21:58:15    1636658

Link

I'm hoping Dick and all the older lads stay on. Next year is the last Ulster Final in Clones, this might be a strong motivation for our lads.

The Face (Monaghan) - Posts: 890 - 14/08/2014 11:00:28    1636731

Link

yeah am optimistic they will but don't think they can keep going to the well in their mid 30s. Unless we get long term replacements for Eoin and Dick I cant see us being in contention for silverware in the next few years. Not an easy fix I know as those kind of players are thin on the ground which is a pity as think we are in good stead in defence and attack.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1505 - 14/08/2014 11:20:44    1636740

Link

Colin Walshe apparently tore his cruciate ligament in that incident before O'Gara's disallowed goal.Heard it from lads in the Doohamlet club last night.He's out for the season. Wish him a speedy recovery.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 114 - 14/08/2014 11:38:21    1636748

Link

Unfortunately as i predicted we got a right thumping against the dubs - not enough recovery time after the extra time and more importantly not enough time to work through a plan to take on the dubs out from flood the defence and let cluxton kick all out short which was clearly wrong thing to do - we pushed up on armagh in the replay and it worked well but we then dropped off again donegal.
some people have mentioned about the team pushing on etc in 2015. I dont see that happening - Eoin lennon , dick , jap could all be finished at this level - all brilliant servants - Colin walshe is a massive blow as he will miss both league and championship next season - we have no natural midfielders to replace the 2 boys, We didnt need division 1 football next year and we will be hot favourites to go straight back down especially with only 3 home games- Kieran Hughes had a poor championship this year as did Darren , both men get a world of ball in games but there is very little end product with all the possession they gain - Rory Beggan s kick outs are very poor and far to slow at this level - he needs a spark put under him. Hard to know if the likes of jack will ever make it - he didnt make the u21 team last season - Our Mgt done very well over the 2 yrs but you would have to say the got it badly wrong against Donegal - unneeded sweeper- and the way we set up v Dubs - Dubs will bt Donegal by 10pts in the semi , Maybe some new players will step up in the club championship

FrankAnnyalla (Monaghan) - Posts: 329 - 18/08/2014 17:09:13    1638470

Link

I don't understand how players can still be tired a week later though ?

Yes playing extra time can take it out of you but why would you still be tired from that a week later ?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 18/08/2014 18:24:12    1638513

Link

Think we had a relatively good 2014. Promotion to Division 1, an Ulster final, All-Ireland Quarter-Final and finally beating Tyrone are all good signs of consitency and progress. Still a bit sick about Ulster final. We needed Eoin Lennon badly in that game and every man flying fit. Mansy and Kieran Hughes weren't 100% for it. For us to compete at the top level we need every man playin out of their skins similar to the Ulster final last year. Midfield is a major concern going forward. Eoin Lennon has been up there with best midfielders in the country for a long time. We needed him badly against Neil Gallagher as he always played well against him. Colin Walshe gettin unjured was the catalyst for Dublin's first goal, as he was playing his best football of the year before it. The goal was always going to come, but it would have been great to get to half time with keeping things tight. In fairness Dick had a great game and kept going all of the way through. Thought Ryan Wylie was class as well and didn't do much wrong against Dublin, Mansy kept pluggin away as well. We needed more from the other players and maybe fatigue was a factor. We have a small pick to choose from and we need to remember where we have come from i.e. in 2011 and 2012. The team has given us so much to be proud of. Pity Tommy wasn't able to be there this year, even coming off the bench he would take watching. On now to the club championship. Hopefully a few new lads can come through and stake a claim to places on the county team. Good to hear that Malachy is staying put; he has achieved an awful lot. The goals for next year should be staying in Division 1 (think this is very important as our lads need more gametime against the best and the league rankings are very similar to who's at the business end of the champtionship, excluding Derry), getting back to Ulster final and putting in a performance in the All-Ireland Quarters again and hope for an easier draw!

T1000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 19/08/2014 11:17:44    1638762

Link

@Frank, are you sure that we have only 3 home games next year? We've been fortunate this last 2 years with 4 home games each year.. it's always a big advantage..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 740 - 20/08/2014 12:54:34    1639297

Link

I agree with everything frank said.it has to b down hill from now on.

geardlines (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 20/08/2014 14:00:01    1639331

Link

I don't think it has to be all down hill from here but there are still problems above a shortage of midfielders. Monaghan are better than Kildare, Tyrone, Armagh, and Meath and in a head to head as good if not better than Donegal. What they aren't however is anywhere near as good as Donegal in how they approach games against the big (non-Ulster) teams. That was what was so disappointnig against Dublin. Not so much the defeat, but they seemed to stop playing and I don't think they believed, maybe because they hadn't played that well during the championship and that it was going to be a step too far. Maybe the same will happen to Donegal in a couple of weeks but they really have nothing to prove having done it already. Other teams have had heavy beatings recently, (including Dublin: 2008 by 12pts, 2009 by 17pts, and 2010 by 11pts) and still were able to come back better (eventually). Kerry too got bad beatings from Meath and Tyrone in the early 00s and still were back winning all-irelands within a year. But they had to adjust their approach, mentally and tactically, to the game before they were able to progress. Monaghan still need to handle the mental side of the game better. Playing in division 1 should be a big help next year. Monaghan got to 2 quarterfinals and 2 Ulster finals without the experience of playing any of the top teams in the league so now they have a chance to get a look at the top-level opposition without it being a life or death game. I'd like to see Monaghan get as many of their scoring forwards as possible on the field for those games and try to win games a bit easier. Staying up in div 1 is important. At this stage Monaghan should expect to win more than they lose and there are always 2 or 3 settled teams in div 1 who aren't taking it seriously at the start so it's always possibe to pick up points.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 299 - 20/08/2014 14:52:05    1639386

Link

We need a big change in attack,we half a half forward line that dont score enough,Jinskey gets you a couple of points,and Dermot Malone gets the odd goal,but know one to kick 3-4 points from play,Paul used too but doesnt get the game time now.

Conor McCarthy,Daniel McKenna,Adam Treanor,Ryan McAnsepie,Fergal McMahon,Barry McGinn,David McAllister...........

All the above have proven themselfs at minor and Club level,all can score freely and are very very good footballers who should be blooded in the Mc Kenna Cup, Under 21 Championship and National League Division 1.

Ryan Whylie showed it can be done and that list of boys are in the same class as he is.

I agree we need to find 2 midfielders,hopefully over the next 6 months Malachy will come up with something.

But we must attack more next year....we would of beaten Tyrone by 10 points if we had to keep going,same as the Armagh Match,and to play 1 man up front in the Ulster Final was the last straw........

FRESH LEG'S... NEW YOUNG BLOOD... GET THE HUNGER BACK....

We are still a good team but we need to freshen things up.

[\/][\]

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 20/08/2014 20:00:08    1639618

Link

Division 1 will hopefully be a good experience and hopefully tighten us up !

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 21/08/2014 18:20:13    1640140

Link

I do think we have the potential to be more productive in attack, we have some very promising forwards like hardcore has mentioned. If even a couple of them can make an impact and compliment what we have, we would be in decent shape. In reality we're never going to have 6 regular scoring forwards in the mould of Dublin, but no other team can do that. Our game plan requires workhorses around the middle also. But we don't particularly need all scoring forwards, just a couple more options to take the heat off Conor all the time. I'd hope to see more of McCarthy especially in 2015.

But the main worry for me, as it has been for a while, is midfield. We have alot of good options in defence and attack in the mid-20s and below age range, but there is noone coming through in midfield. When Lennon and Dick hang up the boots we're rightly goosed, and in truth at this stage we shouldn't be relying on them anymore regardless. It's amazing how few prospects we have had in this area in the last decade, and that doesn't seem to be improving. Let's hope some lad comes frmo nowhere to make an impression because it's not looking good right now.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 22/08/2014 11:40:46    1640371

Link

What age is McCarthy ?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 22/08/2014 15:10:43    1640500

Link

All about midfield for me. We have the players in attack if used a bit more and defence but midfield options wise is poor.At the end of the day however we should be proud of this team and players who bar 2011 and 2012 have worn the jersey with incredible pride and passion for well over a decade now. You look at counties around same size as ours Carlow etc who wouldn't get within successive quarter finals or provincial titles/finals in their wildest dreams.The bad days will inevitably return as we don't have the pool of players other counties have but hopefully they stay away for a fair few years yet.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1505 - 22/08/2014 20:47:50    1640702

Link