Monaghan Forum

Forward options

(Oldest Posts First)

Ok, so with Conor McManus likely to be out, what are our options up front? I do think that losing Conor, while it's a huge blow, it wouldn't be as bad as losing a player around midfield such as Darren Hughes or Eoin Lennon because we have other options up front.

I feel that we still have a huge amount if class in our forward line in k Hughes. Also, this could be Jack McCarrons big chance to show us what he has got, and an opportunity like this could be a blessing in disguise for the likes if him. I also think that Chris McGuinness is an underrated forward, could be a chance for him to shine also.

Also could Tommy Freeman be enticed back into the fold?? He's the sort if player that can get us those crucial 2 or 3 points from play in the final quarter that Conor is also great at getting.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 05/05/2014 16:12:58    1584352

Link

I don't think you can understate how much of a loss McManus is, he's among the very best forwards in Ireland right now and simply put we don't have anyone of the same quality up front to make up for his absence. At the end of the day scores win games, and in a tight game his class and ability to get a point out of nowhere is invaluable, so make no mistake it's a huge blow.

Kieran Hughes now has to take on more responsibility up front, but I don't see him as the main score getter as Conor is. I'd put in McCarron in Conor's place, and him along with the likes of McGuinness will have to fill the void, as one player won't do that on their own. You might be right in a way in that it could be the making of McCarron, but it's an awful pity we have to find out this way.

Also, no disrespect to Tommy Freeman, he is one of Monaghan's greatest ever players, but he's no longer the same class of player that McManus is now, so it's wishful thinking that he could come back in his place and we carry on as normal. I'd still be in favour of him being on the squad mind, especially now, but how likely is that at this stage with him not being involved all year.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 859 - 05/05/2014 16:29:09    1584358

Link

The thing about McManus is also he frees up space for other players with his running. He is a massive loss if he is out. Any word on Owen Duffy or maybe Daniel Mckenna coming in.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 05/05/2014 17:54:36    1584399

Link

I just read on Northern Sound website that Kieran Hughes and Paudie McKenna also picked up hand injuries at the weekend. Anyone got any word on how serious these are?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 06/05/2014 14:06:23    1584608

Link

Both broke bones in their hands by all accounts.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 859 - 06/05/2014 14:28:20    1584619

Link

Anyone know what kind if recovery time is involved? Tell ya what, we are blessed we didn't get drawn for the preliminary round.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 06/05/2014 15:07:33    1584641

Link

Terrible news for mcmanus, hopefully it's not as serious as feared. Always good to see the best talent playing. Was just wondering too what happened that Hanratty fella that came on the scene 5 or 6 years ago, they was big hope for him at the time but he seems to have gone of the radar?

peterpollywog (Donegal) - Posts: 66 - 06/05/2014 17:10:41    1584733

Link

Our county players are not having much luck in the club matches.Maybe Jimmy Mcguiness has a point up in Donegal. Don't want to see lads being pulled out of club matches but if it's effecting a county's chances of silverware might need to do something.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 06/05/2014 19:22:42    1584791

Link

I think I'm right in saying that are 4 rounds of the league and 2 rounds of Championship to be played before June 15th. Games have to go ahead all the same. If players are going to get injured, it was probably a good thing that it happened sooner rather than later.

We cannot wrap the lads in cotton wool either. Its why having a good panel is so important.

I wonder will some of those matches be postponed in light of recent injuries?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 06/05/2014 19:35:44    1584797

Link