Monaghan Forum

Ulster Championship 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Agreed this whole trial by media thing is getting out of hand. It was just a bit of jostling. If Hughes gets a ban then so should all Cavan and Armagh players who got involved last week in the melee. Problem Hughes has now is he has two black cards, one from the league final and one from yesterday. If he picks up one against Armagh he will miss the next championship match. Well said Hardcore, we need to focus solely on Armagh and no further. Am convinced team will play better the next day. It was all about heart guts and determination yesterday and the Monaghan lads had those qualities in spades. It was a case of it didn't matter how badly they played they weren't leaving that field without the win. Thats the hallmark of a winning team.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 16/06/2014 16:10:20    1604601

Link

16/06/2014 16:10:20
seanie08
County: Monaghan

Agreed this whole trial by media thing is getting out of hand. It was just a bit of jostling. If Hughes gets a ban then so should all Cavan and Armagh players who got involved last week in the melee. Problem Hughes has now is he has two black cards, one from the league final and one from yesterday. If he picks up one against Armagh he will miss the next championship match. Well said Hardcore, we need to focus solely on Armagh and no further. Am convinced team will play better the next day. It was all about heart guts and determination yesterday and the Monaghan lads had those qualities in spades. It was a case of it didn't matter how badly they played they weren't leaving that field without the win. Thats the hallmark of a winning team.

Does the black card count cross over between league and championship then? Didn't know that. Also, is there such a thing as a black card being rescinded on video evidence because surely Hughes would have a case for that.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 859 - 16/06/2014 17:20:22    1604645

Link

Seen on twitter this morning a journalist say it does carry over from league to championship so we should be trying to get the one yesterday rescinded by appealing it.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 16/06/2014 17:38:18    1604650

Link

A great win yesterday. Kelly was outstanding in an outstanding defence and Dick Clerkin was back to his old self after an in/out season last year. I felt a bit sorry for McGuinness. I think if he'd popped the pass from Hughes over the bar instead of going for goal he'd have settled into the game better. Was Duffy's substitution tactical or an injury? He looked a little bit rusty at the start, as did a couple of others before they got going. Overall though I think that all the players can be proud of their efforts.

The praise in some of the papers has been of the faint variety which I think is good. Monaghan are being half-talked up but I'd suspect that the Mayo's and Corks of this world would fancy they'd be well able for us and most journalists also think that. If McManus's injury is completely healed and Hughes leg/knee isn't too serious then we should have too much for Armagh. It'll be just as tough though and they'll be well up for it. Another win in 2 weeks and the summer opens up and hopefully we can push on to that elusive Croke Park victory (over a non- Ulster team).

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 299 - 16/06/2014 19:41:26    1604731

Link

Back abroad now having witnessed what can only be described as an ojus result in Clones yesterday. Here's how I see things:

Mega performances from Fintan, Drew, Dick amongst many.

At the final whistle the overwhelming emotion was the elation of a victory - deliverance even - against Tyrone. This was mixed with a huge sense of relief at not losing or drawing a game from a winning position.

But this is also a slow burner: a result that will improve with age. We have underlined our credentials and it is a serious statement on the back of last year's Ulster title.

Others posters here and on the national Forum, from both Monaghan and Tyrone, have highlighted valid areas in which we need, and must, improve. Rightly so. Furthermore we must not get ahead of ourselves, nor should we underestimate Armagh. However I take a lot from the knowledge that when our players next gather for training they will start to address these matters with a sense of momentum.

The team has put the supporters in a position to feel positive, and for that we must say thank you.

Ah, these championship days.

Knoxboyo (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 16/06/2014 21:03:43    1604785

Link

Great to win against the Red Hands, not having played to our potential. Dick Clerkin was back to the form he showed in Division 1 a few years ago, which is a surprise boost. If Lennon comes back and Doogan is in there too we suddenly seem to have quality options in midfield.

Kelly gets better with every game, and is now a leader, along with D Hughes, Mone, Finlay and Corey. Our defenders won the game for us. The forwards held their own, but we've come to expect more from play. I'd have liked to see McCarron come on at some stage. MOR obviously is looking to keep up confidence in not substituting one or two yesterday. This will pay off in the long run.

Now let's focus on Armagh and nothing beyond.

MiseMuineachain (Monaghan) - Posts: 212 - 16/06/2014 21:42:34    1604801

Link

Well played Monaghan on a fully deserved victory, application of the game plan was exceptional (albeit psychologically you nearly blew it). Still the monkey is gone regarding Tyrone and these things are only overcome on the pitch. If you played Armagh 10 times this year I believe you will beat them 9 times. There is always the chance that a result will not go any teams way on any given day. Bad and all that Cavan were (and they were poor) against Armagh, Armagh are no great shakes at all, I have no doubt that the Monaghan players experience within their ranks will not allow themselves to be sucked into the gamesmanship and cynicism of the Armagh players and sideline. I expect Monaghan to win by 5 - 6 points if you concentrate on playing your own game. That will beat Armagh all day long. Armagh need to worry about disrupting and stopping Monaghan rather than the other way about.

offtheditch (Cavan) - Posts: 130 - 17/06/2014 09:21:24    1604829

Link

Finty, Drew and Dick are rightly getting huge praise for their performances and I thought Kelly just about shaded MOM. But a special word for Vinny who was magnificent. It feels like he's been around for ever and to able to produce that level of performance at that pace in that heat for 70 mins is a testament to his dedication and fitness levels.

bluemoon (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 17/06/2014 11:12:20    1604903

Link

Yeah Vinny was excellent, you almost expect that kind of performance from him now such is his consistency but he definitely deserves all the praise he gets. Always a man for the big occasion, he didn't give Murphy a lick in the Ulster final last year and kept Cavanagh under wraps on Sunday until he was moved away out to midfield.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 859 - 17/06/2014 12:59:37    1604994

Link

Tommy's back............:)

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 17/06/2014 13:13:29    1605008

Link

Tommy's back

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 17/06/2014 13:48:25    1605035

Link

You serious?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 17/06/2014 14:17:35    1605055

Link

Great win yesterday. Truthfully you should have won by a bigger margin, but a wins a win. Would be great to see a fully fit McManus in full flight. Even half fit he was the difference between the teams. Best of luck in the semi.

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 17/06/2014 15:44:32    1605131

Link

and how can you show to me Tommy is back ?:)

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 694 - 17/06/2014 16:48:52    1605187

Link

Tommy is not back, I seen him at the game on Sunday with his wife and child.

MuineachanAbu (Monaghan) - Posts: 624 - 17/06/2014 17:02:05    1605200

Link

Well to be fair hardcore has usually been spot on with these things in the past.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 17/06/2014 17:11:42    1605204

Link

Just because he was at the game doesn't mean he isn't coming back into the squad but I would be very surprised to see him back. He would have come back a lot earlier.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 17/06/2014 17:29:37    1605217

Link

Yes Tommy is back, has been training with the squad for last week or 2, didn't want to be on the panel for the Tyrone match as he felt he hadn't done enough training to justify been put on ahead of some of the others that have been there all year, but will be in for the Armagh match if he proves that he's still sharp enough in training.

Pukefootball (Monaghan) - Posts: 377 - 18/06/2014 11:11:24    1605426

Link

BELIEVE PEOPLE.....BELIEVE

[\/][\]

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 18/06/2014 12:52:53    1605492

Link

Its great news, just reading Darragh O'Se column in Irish Times and he was talking about how Stephen O'Neill came back in just before the all ireland in 08 it gave the Kerry management an awful headache because they now had to deal with him. Turns out that he wasn't nearly match fit, but even giving the opposition something extra to worry about and think about or to double mark, was enough of an influence.

The likes of Tommy a former all star is the type to give the same headache to the opposition even if he isn't fully match fit. Although I'd say he is in decent shape. Its prob better he only comes back now, he has been injury prone over the last few years so at least he wont have that to worry about. Just as long as he doesn't take out Conor McManus in a training match we will be ok!!

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 18/06/2014 13:32:27    1605523

Link