Mayo Forum

Rebuild now as a team or fail as individuals.

(Oldest Posts First)

Look folks, like it or not we failed simply due to complacency and underestimation of Galway, we have been spoilt the last number of years with most of this team never suffering a loss in the Connaught Championship.EVER
Galway had the hunger and beating Mayo is the only prize they could aspire to this year.
You never know like the "fancy dans" of 98 the back door may do us no harm, we might come in the letterbox yet. If we are good enough to win an all Ireland we can do it the hard way. It would be all the sweeter.
We either rebuild now as a team or fail as individuals, it all boils down to how the lads react, grab this by the balls or wilt out.
I think they have the metal

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 20/06/2016 10:00:50    1869351

Link

Replying To club51:  "Look folks, like it or not we failed simply due to complacency and underestimation of Galway, we have been spoilt the last number of years with most of this team never suffering a loss in the Connaught Championship.EVER
Galway had the hunger and beating Mayo is the only prize they could aspire to this year.
You never know like the "fancy dans" of 98 the back door may do us no harm, we might come in the letterbox yet. If we are good enough to win an all Ireland we can do it the hard way. It would be all the sweeter.
We either rebuild now as a team or fail as individuals, it all boils down to how the lads react, grab this by the balls or wilt out.
I think they have the metal"
That is they type of arrogant comment that has Mayo still trying to win an AI for the last 65 years. Galway have been the traditional team in Connacht winning 6 senior AI's since Mayo's last one but many people in Mayo still don't seem to accept that. Of course Galway always aspire to winning AI's and no the "fancy dans" didn't win through the backdoor in 1998 - it was 2001 but again some Mayo people like yourself can't seem to "remember" correctly!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/06/2016 10:22:14    1869376

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "That is they type of arrogant comment that has Mayo still trying to win an AI for the last 65 years. Galway have been the traditional team in Connacht winning 6 senior AI's since Mayo's last one but many people in Mayo still don't seem to accept that. Of course Galway always aspire to winning AI's and no the "fancy dans" didn't win through the backdoor in 1998 - it was 2001 but again some Mayo people like yourself can't seem to "remember" correctly!"
Congrats to Galway on there victory over Mayo. They deserved the win.

This mayo squad has given us supporter's fantastic memories over the last few years. However, I believe that they completely underestimated the threat that Galway would pose. No matter how much a manger or selector can tell a team to watch out for the threat of the opposition, if all the commentators in the media keep saying the same things about mayo walking through Connaught, then as a player this can creep into your mind set. Like Roscommon last year, the mayo guys took their eyes of the ball and instead looked toward the Roscommon game.
Could this defeat be a blessing in disguise? The answer is absolutely not. Do you think that Dublin or Kerry would prefer to lose their provincial crown? With any game you lose, no matter what people say, a loss is a loss.]
A number of issues I believe aided mayo's defeat on Saturday
1. The timing of the appointment of Rochford.
Do not forget Rochford was only appointed as Mayo boss 6 months ago in December. No matter what people say most, if not all, intercounty teams have a fitness and training plan in place at this stage. Did mayo have anything similar? I know the players would have been training themselves but was there any structure to it.
2. The number of injuries that Mayo have had since the start of the year.
Coupled with the run of Castlebar to the all-ireland club final, the number of injuries that Mayo have had has prevented Rochford from picking certain players during the league.
3. U21 Success. This has also prevented Rochford from utilising some of the U21 panel during the League. I know that DOC, Conor Loftus and Stephen Coen are part of the Mayo panel; however, I would expect that more of these players would be called into the senior panel for next year such as S Cunniffe, L Irwin and M Ruane.
4. Changing the panel. Due to Rochford's late appointment, did he get a chance to fully review the panel presented to him. There are certain players that have given great service to Mayo but I feel there time is up. Kevin Keane, Jason Doherty, who I defended earlier during the league when playing poorly, and Alan Freeman, I believe have shown that there are good players but not up to intercounty standard. In addition, Andy Moran and Alan Dillion, I feel will finally hang up there boots at the end of this year. Rochford will have to make some tough calls with the addition of new players. He has a three-year term so I would expect to see some changes for the next back door game for the starting 15. It is time to see how string the squad really is.

Giveitago (Mayo) - Posts: 86 - 20/06/2016 10:32:25    1869385

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "That is they type of arrogant comment that has Mayo still trying to win an AI for the last 65 years. Galway have been the traditional team in Connacht winning 6 senior AI's since Mayo's last one but many people in Mayo still don't seem to accept that. Of course Galway always aspire to winning AI's and no the "fancy dans" didn't win through the backdoor in 1998 - it was 2001 but again some Mayo people like yourself can't seem to "remember" correctly!"
Sorry I don't see why you have the bitterness, more power to Galway as I said they had the hunger.
But the facts are, many of this Mayo team have never suffered a defeat in Connaught and have been on a team unbeaten in Connaught for the last 5 years.
Again apologies about the typo but I don't see why you would get annoyed about 98 or 01, I was wrong, its hard to remember something from 15 years ago, I was actually paying tribute to how Galway reacted positively to the "fancy dan" take it as a criticism if you so wish that's your prerogative. I know one thing though they haven't won a game in Croke park since 2001, 15 years ago. Tradition me backside, its the modern game now kid. Id take Mayos record in Croke park and over Galways anyday. Cheer up and get ready for the Rossies.

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 20/06/2016 10:58:18    1869422

Link

Replying To club51:  "Sorry I don't see why you have the bitterness, more power to Galway as I said they had the hunger.
But the facts are, many of this Mayo team have never suffered a defeat in Connaught and have been on a team unbeaten in Connaught for the last 5 years.
Again apologies about the typo but I don't see why you would get annoyed about 98 or 01, I was wrong, its hard to remember something from 15 years ago, I was actually paying tribute to how Galway reacted positively to the "fancy dan" take it as a criticism if you so wish that's your prerogative. I know one thing though they haven't won a game in Croke park since 2001, 15 years ago. Tradition me backside, its the modern game now kid. Id take Mayos record in Croke park and over Galways anyday. Cheer up and get ready for the Rossies."
Ah here... We need to stop yappin about Galway's record in Croke park, the rossies.. none of that matters a jot... Its ourselves we need to look at... and a good long and hard look while we are at it. Complacency has crept in. We haven't won Sam since 1951. I dont know how we can ever get complacent. I am worried that Rochford will not be able to manage the egos that exist in that dressing room

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1204 - 20/06/2016 11:31:12    1869461

Link

Replying To club51:  "Sorry I don't see why you have the bitterness, more power to Galway as I said they had the hunger.
Again apologies about the typo but I don't see why you would get annoyed about 98 or 01, I was wrong, its hard to remember something from 15 years ago, I was actually paying tribute to how Galway reacted positively to the "fancy dan" take it as a criticism if you so wish that's your prerogative. I know one thing though they haven't won a game in Croke park since 2001, 15 years ago. Tradition me backside, its the modern game now kid. Id take Mayos record in Croke park and over Galways anyday. Cheer up and get ready for the Rossies."
I think it was your original comment re "Galway had the hunger and beating Mayo is the only prize they could aspire to this year" that shows arrogance. You have to be humble and modest if you want to be successful. Arrogance is not good and unfortunately for Mayo, there is a large element of arrogance among their supporters when they get to AI semifinals and finals. Yes Galway's record of reaching senior AI semifinals / finals for the last 15 years has been poor as many of the proven performers of 98 - 01 like Donnellan, Mannion, DePaor, Meehan, Walsh, Finnegan, Fallon, Savage etc. either retired earlier than they should or were getting too old and the newer players replacing them were not as good. However we have a much better record of winning AI finals than Mayo do when we are good enough to get there.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/06/2016 11:33:39    1869466

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I think it was your original comment re "Galway had the hunger and beating Mayo is the only prize they could aspire to this year" that shows arrogance. You have to be humble and modest if you want to be successful. Arrogance is not good and unfortunately for Mayo, there is a large element of arrogance among their supporters when they get to AI semifinals and finals. Yes Galway's record of reaching senior AI semifinals / finals for the last 15 years has been poor as many of the proven performers of 98 - 01 like Donnellan, Mannion, DePaor, Meehan, Walsh, Finnegan, Fallon, Savage etc. either retired earlier than they should or were getting too old and the newer players replacing them were not as good. However we have a much better record of winning AI finals than Mayo do when we are good enough to get there."
It wasn't meant in that context and no disrespect was intended.
I find it strange Galway fans would be on the Mayo forum worrying about what we have to say after beating us! (mayo the big brothers and all I suppose)
Although I did leave a comment this morning on the Galway forum congratulating Galway and wishing them well
I wouldn't give a fiddlers what Galway would have to say if we won.

But aside from all that neither Mayo or Galway have a whole pile to boast about, a stronger Connaught Championship makes for stronger teams going to Croke park. Sam needs to cross the Shannon and soon!

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 20/06/2016 12:00:24    1869488

Link

Replying To club51:  "It wasn't meant in that context and no disrespect was intended.
I find it strange Galway fans would be on the Mayo forum worrying about what we have to say after beating us! (mayo the big brothers and all I suppose)
Although I did leave a comment this morning on the Galway forum congratulating Galway and wishing them well
I wouldn't give a fiddlers what Galway would have to say if we won.

But aside from all that neither Mayo or Galway have a whole pile to boast about, a stronger Connaught Championship makes for stronger teams going to Croke park. Sam needs to cross the Shannon and soon!"
As a Mayo man living on the border it hurt to see the Galway celebrations in the middle of the pitch in McHale Park. If this does not move the Mayo team to up their performances then nothing will. It has to hurt like hell. If it does not we are in serious trouble. Best of luck to Galway in the Connacht final. Bring on the qualifiers.

sinabhuil (Mayo) - Posts: 170 - 20/06/2016 12:39:21    1869537

Link

I also think the media set up Mayo for an ambush e.g. on the Sunday Game last week they were saying things like "that performance will not be good enough to beat Mayo in the Connacht Final!" It also wasn't the first time I heard it over the last number of weeks so the blatant disrespect shown to the third most successful football county was there for all to see. Now nearly all Galway supporters along with Mayo supporters thought Galway would do well to hold Mayo to less than 10 points on their home patch so it was nicely set up for us. I am well aware that this current Galway team are no world beaters and there are many other players that should be on the panel that for one reason or another didn't join e.g. from last year's AI Club Champions Corofin alone the likes of Ciaran McGrath, Ronan Steede, the Farragher brothers and Ian Burke but hopefully this win will encourage them to join the panel asap.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/06/2016 13:08:01    1869574

Link

I also think the media set up Mayo for an ambush e.g. on the Sunday Game last week they were saying things like "that performance will not be good enough to beat Mayo in the Connacht Final!" It also wasn't the first time I heard it over the last number of weeks so the blatant disrespect shown to the third most successful football county was there for all to see. Now nearly all Galway supporters along with Mayo supporters thought Galway would do well to hold Mayo to less than 10 points on their home patch so it was nicely set up for us. I am well aware that this current Galway team are no world beaters and there are many other players that should be on the panel that for one reason or another didn't join e.g. from last year's AI Club Champions Corofin alone the likes of Ciaran McGrath, Ronan Steede, the Farragher brothers and Ian Burke but hopefully this win will encourage them to join the panel asap.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/06/2016 13:10:29    1869579

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I also think the media set up Mayo for an ambush e.g. on the Sunday Game last week they were saying things like "that performance will not be good enough to beat Mayo in the Connacht Final!" It also wasn't the first time I heard it over the last number of weeks so the blatant disrespect shown to the third most successful football county was there for all to see. Now nearly all Galway supporters along with Mayo supporters thought Galway would do well to hold Mayo to less than 10 points on their home patch so it was nicely set up for us. I am well aware that this current Galway team are no world beaters and there are many other players that should be on the panel that for one reason or another didn't join e.g. from last year's AI Club Champions Corofin alone the likes of Ciaran McGrath, Ronan Steede, the Farragher brothers and Ian Burke but hopefully this win will encourage them to join the panel asap."
could not agree more, media did Mayo no favors but they have only themselves to blame.
Perhaps Michael lyster had the boys prepped! A good Galway man sher .:) McStay also would have been delighted to hear Mayo getting talked up.
To be fair it put the fire in Galways belly and they were tackling harder the whole game. Although in my opinion Mayo are still the better team and will go further in the competition. It was a combination of Mayo not turning up and Galway playing out of their skins.
Mayo underestimated Galway at their peril now they have the back door to deal with like Galway in 2001.

Re guys coming into the panel now would be lousy on the lads that did stick with the team.
They may be more talented but it would do very little for morale.(I imagine its at the highest its been in a while)

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 20/06/2016 14:18:02    1869655

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I also think the media set up Mayo for an ambush e.g. on the Sunday Game last week they were saying things like "that performance will not be good enough to beat Mayo in the Connacht Final!" It also wasn't the first time I heard it over the last number of weeks so the blatant disrespect shown to the third most successful football county was there for all to see. Now nearly all Galway supporters along with Mayo supporters thought Galway would do well to hold Mayo to less than 10 points on their home patch so it was nicely set up for us. I am well aware that this current Galway team are no world beaters and there are many other players that should be on the panel that for one reason or another didn't join e.g. from last year's AI Club Champions Corofin alone the likes of Ciaran McGrath, Ronan Steede, the Farragher brothers and Ian Burke but hopefully this win will encourage them to join the panel asap."
We have 30 lads who stuck with it during the bad times (which may or may not be over) and that's the 30 lads we need to back. . Were you there on Saturday night ? Did you see how happy those guys were with the win, they've put in the work any rewards should go to them. Kevin Walsh respected there decision to walk away from intercounty he's not going to chase them now nor should he.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1266 - 20/06/2016 14:33:18    1869670

Link

I would agree if for instance the players I listed were invited onto the panel and turned it down without a good reason, I would not invite them again. If however there was a valid reason for refusing to join at the time or they were not invited in the first place, then the door should remain open to those players if they would improve the team as a whole. To have any hope of challenging the better teams later on we need all our best players in their best positions on the pitch.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/06/2016 15:09:52    1869703

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I would agree if for instance the players I listed were invited onto the panel and turned it down without a good reason, I would not invite them again. If however there was a valid reason for refusing to join at the time or they were not invited in the first place, then the door should remain open to those players if they would improve the team as a whole. To have any hope of challenging the better teams later on we need all our best players in their best positions on the pitch."
How far do you predict they will go Tommy K?
Will they beat the rossies and after that?

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 20/06/2016 15:42:15    1869728

Link

If a player gets injured and is out for the year can you bring in a new player from outside the panel or once the panel is named for the year that is it?

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10417 - 20/06/2016 16:29:01    1869773

Link

Replying To club51:  "How far do you predict they will go Tommy K?
Will they beat the rossies and after that?"
I think the Rossies will rightfully start as favourites which will probably suit Galway. I would be worried about the Galway mindset going the opposite way to the Mayo game and overconfidence creeping in but there's still a few weeks to sort that out. The heart says Galway but the head probably says Roscommon (much as it pains me to say it).

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/06/2016 17:27:40    1869812

Link