Limerick Forum

Best Club hurlers

(Oldest Posts First)

Well lads. Just looking to get your opinions on the best club hurlers (any level) who have never played senior for Limerick. They can be past of present. Fellas who went out and could dominate a game. I say any level because this could have been what was holding him back from playing with Limerick.

Looking forward to your views,
cooper100.

cooper100 (Limerick) - Posts: 40 - 02/06/2015 13:56:04    1731380

Link

I'll have a stab from west LK side cooper. Best from each club I saw Adare mark foley or Hannon , drom Bford Tim Burke and Tom McLaughlin granagh Bgarry Dodge killeedy paudi Fitzmaurice, Newcastle john Danaher, feohanagh T Quaid RIP, knockaderry Tom condon fee agh Maurice o Sullivan Askeaton R Hayes Croagh John or Neville Roche Tournafulla Seamus Horgan mo nagar john flavin temple galantine John riordan rathkeale K Hartnett comes to mind but haven't seen lot of them to be fair would also struggle with Keirans they have won fair few junior c ships but no one stands out Johnny McCarthy best in recent years.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 02/06/2015 18:40:35    1731614

Link

Df
I go back a bit before you. Overall I agree with many of your selections but of course I differ a little as well. From my own parish Pat Hartnett was the best player I saw and wes probably the best hurler the parish ever produced. John McGrath closely followed by Paddy Hogan were the two best Monagae players in my memory. Jack Enright RIP was Ardaghs finest and the splendid Kevin Long was the best Feenagh Kilmeedy player. Tom Markham always stood out for ST Marys Rathkeale and a host of Quaids stood out for Feoghanagh, although the late Jimmy Barrett was also a splendid player for them. It should also be noted tat Liam Murphy and John Riordan carried the Glantine colours with distinction.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 03/06/2015 21:54:36    1732192

Link

Here is a team of good clubs hurlers that haven't played much for Limerick Seniors , this got me thinking a while!

1 Ger Flynn (Croom)
2 John O'Riordan (Templeglantane)
3 Anthony Foley (Patrickswell)
4 Liam Hurley (Kilmallock)
5 Mike Alfred (Adare)
6 Tom Mcloughlan (Drom/Broadford)
7 David Clancy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
8 Ray Hayes (Askeaton)
9 Aidan O'Rahilly (Adare)
10 Andrew Brennan (Caherline)
11 Damien Moloney (Effin)
12 Anthony Owens (South Liberties)
13 Donie Reale (Hospital/Hertbertstown)
14 Willie Griffen (Adare)
15 Jake Mulcahy (Kilmallock)

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 915 - 04/06/2015 20:09:34    1732560

Link

Good team dualsport. I think jason hayes - bruff and lar considine - patrickswell worth a mention. At junior level players worth a mention for me aidan mcCauliffe - castletown/ballygran, Denny ahern - kilteely/dromkeen, sean herlihy - monagea, mike mcCormack - crecora/manister and damian quaid - st. Marys/sean finns

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 05/06/2015 20:02:33    1733009

Link

A few mentions from the top of my head ..... BACK IN THE DAY - Pat O Brien (Bruree), Jackie McCarthy(Ardpatrick/Kilmallock), Mike Leary (Dromin/Athlacca)......... MORE RECENTLY - Patrick Kirby (Knockainy), Donie Reale(Hospital), John Dillan (Effin)

Hey_John (Limerick) - Posts: 7 - 22/07/2015 12:53:15    1757492

Link

Hey_John totally agree with you with dillan from effin and pity reale isnt around more often.. I think dermot walsh and nigel finch deserve a mention... danny hayes of Garryspillane shows glipses of what he can do every now and then but he needs more consistency in his game... he is a very good club hurler..kilmallock have too many to really mention one but if my arm was twisted kevin o donnell and robbie egan very solid players and i think capable of making a step up...Mark o connell of glenroe getting better each year for them probably there key player now, very good free taker and very good hand very capable of playing at a different level.. jason hayes and bobby o brien very good for bruff, young team and these are good men as a back bone on that team

toby137 (Limerick) - Posts: 76 - 04/08/2015 15:43:56    1763818

Link

Liberties Captain Shane O' Neill (affectionately known as JJ after JJ delaney) always excellent for the souths. Was inspiration the year we finally got back senior and won munster (should have won all ireland). Never forget his goal against Ballybrown in the semi final to force a replay, darting up from half back with the ball. Also scored a great goal against whitegate in the munster semi final. But in general a very consistent club performer. Always given the opponents best forward to mark. strong, fast, good under highball and a good brain.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 04/08/2015 21:55:34    1764067

Link

Good Thread, My Team would be

1 Padraigh Kennedy (Na Piarsaigh)
2 Stephen Lavin (Adare)
3 Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
4 Shane O Neill (South Liberties)
5 Liam Walsh (Killmalcok)
6 Mike Alfred (Adare)
7 John Riordan (Templeglantine)
8 Jason Hayes (Bruff)
9 Lar Considine (Patrickswell)
10 Cathal Mullane (Killedy)
11 Alan O Connor (BallyBrown)
12 Johnny McCarthy (St. Kierans)
13 Jack Ahern (Killedy)
14 John Paul Sheehan (Tournafulla)
15 Sean Heirley (Monagea)

cornerback11 (Limerick) - Posts: 63 - 07/08/2015 12:50:50    1765593

Link

A mention for Joe Grimes from South Liberties in the early 80's. Also Ger Galvin in the late 1990's and Shamie Kirby from Patrickswell

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 761 - 07/08/2015 20:08:36    1765807

Link