Limerick Forum

Schools GAA

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "The All Ireland win in 2018 took the heat off the county board a bit in certain areas of mis-management. The underage hurling academy stardards have dropped and Jerry Wallace and Anthony Daly left the role of academy director because they couldn't get on with the top table of the county board. I know their was coach's of different underage teams a few years ago were not happy with broken promises made to them by the county board too. I'm very disappointed that certain members involved with Limerick GAA are making no effort to get amalgamations teams allowed enter the Harty cup or Corn ui Mhuiri, come on just try and get the idea talked about in the media or something to it supported. Certain schools should make more of an effort too Doon, Kilmallock and Castletroy should be able to field harty cup teams.

The football academy has to up itself too, I have criticised the little improvement the football academy has made to Limerick football on here in previous years and certain posters could only respond to me with personal attacks and insults and couldn't argue the points I made."
Yes indeed. How they cannot get reps from Clare, Waterford and limerick to convince enough reps from the three larger counties that amalgamated teams entered in senior schools competitions can in fact advance the game as it clearly has done in both Dublin and Waterford, is indeed hard to understand.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 18/08/2020 21:24:45    2288130

Link

Mad to think their will be more young lads playing harty this year from kerry than from limerick

upthetreatyboys (Limerick) - Posts: 90 - 18/08/2020 22:24:40    2288153

Link

Replying To upthetreatyboys:  "Mad to think their will be more young lads playing harty this year from kerry than from limerick"
Yes indeed . We should all be asking our County Board what they are doing about this and also if they are just sitting on their laurels following 2018. We can see how things have gone in Offaly to see where that Lassie faire approach leads to.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 19/08/2020 09:03:56    2288188

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "The All Ireland win in 2018 took the heat off the county board a bit in certain areas of mis-management. The underage hurling academy stardards have dropped and Jerry Wallace and Anthony Daly left the role of academy director because they couldn't get on with the top table of the county board. I know their was coach's of different underage teams a few years ago were not happy with broken promises made to them by the county board too. I'm very disappointed that certain members involved with Limerick GAA are making no effort to get amalgamations teams allowed enter the Harty cup or Corn ui Mhuiri, come on just try and get the idea talked about in the media or something to it supported. Certain schools should make more of an effort too Doon, Kilmallock and Castletroy should be able to field harty cup teams.

The football academy has to up itself too, I have criticised the little improvement the football academy has made to Limerick football on here in previous years and certain posters could only respond to me with personal attacks and insults and couldn't argue the points I made."
Youd wonder how we ever won an All Ireland with some of the clients at the top table of Limerick Co Board but it was down to funding and some very decent people doing the hard work with the underage players.
Some of the county board officers wouldn't even know the Harty cup draw has been made at this stage . The amalgamated schools should be revisited , whilst interest in Football in the county is patchy surely a West Limerick or Limerick City schools team would be reasonably competitive in Corn Ui Mhuiri.

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 293 - 19/08/2020 09:31:19    2288192

Link

It would be an awful shame if we let 2018 become a one off and not the start of something decent. Cork were always going to be serious once they got they're house in order at under age. That's where success always stems from. It's not guaranteed but with talent coming through there's always a chance of success.
Thankfully we have had reasonable success at minor level the last few years but we badly need to get the schools and academy to be more competitive or we will fall far behind Cork and Tipp again.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 206 - 19/08/2020 19:13:21    2288306

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Youd wonder how we ever won an All Ireland with some of the clients at the top table of Limerick Co Board but it was down to funding and some very decent people doing the hard work with the underage players.
Some of the county board officers wouldn't even know the Harty cup draw has been made at this stage . The amalgamated schools should be revisited , whilst interest in Football in the county is patchy surely a West Limerick or Limerick City schools team would be reasonably competitive in Corn Ui Mhuiri."
Hopefully this is just a blip in fortunes but I think club's should start rising concerns with the county about the decline of schools involvement in the Harty cup but also some schools should make more of an effort too, Doon and Castletroy recently regularly had teams in the Harty cup and Kilmallock is a school that should have had more involvement in the Harty cup down through the years when you consider the amount of students that has passed through that school that has played for Limerick at different grades. The decline of results in the underage academy should be raised too, I know the minors did well in 2018 and 2019 but if we are honest 1 player Cathal O'Neill was depended on too much for results.

On amalgamations I think each county should be allowed have 2 amalgamations compete in the Harty cup and corn ui mhuiri. West Limerick colleges worked well, it's very difficult to know could you get amalgamations in the city because most of the city schools would be fully committed to rugby. Maybe a South Limerick colleges with the schools in croom, hospital and kilfinane combining might be a good shout but I know distance between the schools would be a factor against it though.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 719 - 20/08/2020 22:56:53    2288483

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Hopefully this is just a blip in fortunes but I think club's should start rising concerns with the county about the decline of schools involvement in the Harty cup but also some schools should make more of an effort too, Doon and Castletroy recently regularly had teams in the Harty cup and Kilmallock is a school that should have had more involvement in the Harty cup down through the years when you consider the amount of students that has passed through that school that has played for Limerick at different grades. The decline of results in the underage academy should be raised too, I know the minors did well in 2018 and 2019 but if we are honest 1 player Cathal O'Neill was depended on too much for results.

On amalgamations I think each county should be allowed have 2 amalgamations compete in the Harty cup and corn ui mhuiri. West Limerick colleges worked well, it's very difficult to know could you get amalgamations in the city because most of the city schools would be fully committed to rugby. Maybe a South Limerick colleges with the schools in croom, hospital and kilfinane combining might be a good shout but I know distance between the schools would be a factor against it though."
Definitely agree that the county board have a massive role to play here. They issue token statements here and there about underage and even this week about the proposed Southside Gaels underage hurling. Where is the coordinated approach? Dublin are successful because they identified areas in the city/county where GAA was not prominent and threw resources at developing the games there. There is no coordinated approach in Limerick despite the massive scope for improvement that exists. Hurling in West Limerick, hurling and football in massive population dense areas of the inner city are lacking any support and need serious reconsideration in terms of the approach being taken to raise the profile of GAA. On the comment about rugby in schools - its important to remember that Ardscoil Rís was a rugby school with a few token hurling and football teams until 10 years ago, now are one of the best hurling schools in the province with some token rugby teams. Rugby is on its knees in terms of participation and interest at underage level - huge focus should be placed on getting students in these schools playing GAA but I suspect this is not a major priority for the CB.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 424 - 21/08/2020 12:01:12    2288522

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Definitely agree that the county board have a massive role to play here. They issue token statements here and there about underage and even this week about the proposed Southside Gaels underage hurling. Where is the coordinated approach? Dublin are successful because they identified areas in the city/county where GAA was not prominent and threw resources at developing the games there. There is no coordinated approach in Limerick despite the massive scope for improvement that exists. Hurling in West Limerick, hurling and football in massive population dense areas of the inner city are lacking any support and need serious reconsideration in terms of the approach being taken to raise the profile of GAA. On the comment about rugby in schools - its important to remember that Ardscoil Rís was a rugby school with a few token hurling and football teams until 10 years ago, now are one of the best hurling schools in the province with some token rugby teams. Rugby is on its knees in terms of participation and interest at underage level - huge focus should be placed on getting students in these schools playing GAA but I suspect this is not a major priority for the CB."
Dublin county board would have some extremely sharp individuals capable of running the country not to mind the county board, we do not have such people on the county board but there are people like that gaa members in Limerick and involved in clubs .
There are 3 city clubs Nap, Mungret, Monaleen at the top of all underage hurling top divisions with Ballybrown, Patrickswell , Ahane,Murroe,Adare ,Liberties all having good enough underage also, those kids are practically all going to city schools . There should be at least 2 city schools if not 3 playing harty with all these players going to their schools plus some clare and an odd Tipp player. Some of the schools could be making more of an effort . Rugby definitely isn't as big as it was and Limericks recent successes have made hurling number 1 game for a lot of 12-16 year olds in the city and its environs .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 293 - 21/08/2020 12:55:44    2288536

Link

I agree with some of the points made. Castletroy should be Harty and stay Harty. And there ought to be an amalgamation in the South or/and West. Thats obvious to anyone looking in .
The cheap point scoring and comments on rugby are annoying. 1. Rugby will always be number 1 in Linerick schools. There is no young fella that I know of who is good at hurling and rugby and has gone on to choose Hurling. It doesnt happen..The best athletes choose rugby. The most obvious I know is Dan Goggin. Great hurler but he was never going to choose it over rugby and 14 to 16 year olds wont choose it in 2020. But there are enough kids under that top level to keep 2 or 3 city schools playing Harty .
The Southside Gaels amalgamation is warranted and its sad. None of the 4 clubs can attract kids to play with them..if you joined them all up tomorrow you wouldn't make a b team out of them. They need huge support..and they need to attract middle class kids aswell as their traditional working class guys . I hope it works and that the clubs amalgamate properly all the way up and make a top class outfit to challenge Na Piarsaigh in the years to come.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1335 - 21/08/2020 14:02:09    2288553

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Hopefully this is just a blip in fortunes but I think club's should start rising concerns with the county about the decline of schools involvement in the Harty cup but also some schools should make more of an effort too, Doon and Castletroy recently regularly had teams in the Harty cup and Kilmallock is a school that should have had more involvement in the Harty cup down through the years when you consider the amount of students that has passed through that school that has played for Limerick at different grades. The decline of results in the underage academy should be raised too, I know the minors did well in 2018 and 2019 but if we are honest 1 player Cathal O'Neill was depended on too much for results.

On amalgamations I think each county should be allowed have 2 amalgamations compete in the Harty cup and corn ui mhuiri. West Limerick colleges worked well, it's very difficult to know could you get amalgamations in the city because most of the city schools would be fully committed to rugby. Maybe a South Limerick colleges with the schools in croom, hospital and kilfinane combining might be a good shout but I know distance between the schools would be a factor against it though."
Yes. We must drum up support for amalgamated teams in the Harty Cup.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 21/08/2020 19:06:11    2288590

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I agree with some of the points made. Castletroy should be Harty and stay Harty. And there ought to be an amalgamation in the South or/and West. Thats obvious to anyone looking in .
The cheap point scoring and comments on rugby are annoying. 1. Rugby will always be number 1 in Linerick schools. There is no young fella that I know of who is good at hurling and rugby and has gone on to choose Hurling. It doesnt happen..The best athletes choose rugby. The most obvious I know is Dan Goggin. Great hurler but he was never going to choose it over rugby and 14 to 16 year olds wont choose it in 2020. But there are enough kids under that top level to keep 2 or 3 city schools playing Harty .
The Southside Gaels amalgamation is warranted and its sad. None of the 4 clubs can attract kids to play with them..if you joined them all up tomorrow you wouldn't make a b team out of them. They need huge support..and they need to attract middle class kids aswell as their traditional working class guys . I hope it works and that the clubs amalgamate properly all the way up and make a top class outfit to challenge Na Piarsaigh in the years to come."
Come on none of us were having a go at Rugby, I have played rugby myself for a city club. GAA would be my number 1 but I still have a big gra for rugby and soccer. We were just trying to pinpoint Limerick schools that could have potential to take part in Harty cup or Corn ui Mhuiri. Rugby does have problems too I have friends and work colleagues involved with rugby club's and there is a big drop off in playing numbers especially with transition from underage to adult rugby. And the neglect of AIL clubs has contributed to Munster's demise because young fringe players for Munster don't want to play with their clubs and learn their trade, I know Shannon wanted 1 such player to play a club game for them but he refused because he was a travelling squad player for Munster the night before.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 719 - 22/08/2020 14:30:13    2288663

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "Yes. We must drum up support for amalgamated teams in the Harty Cup."
And Corn ui Mhuiri don't forget ;).

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 719 - 22/08/2020 14:31:25    2288664

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "And Corn ui Mhuiri don't forget ;)."
Absolutely agreed.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 22/08/2020 23:24:08    2288711

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "And Corn ui Mhuiri don't forget ;)."
Absolutely agreed.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 22/08/2020 23:24:36    2288712

Link