Westmeath Forum

Standard Of Club Facilities

(Oldest Posts First)

Any thoughts on the state of club facilities throughout the county ? I think the standard is quite high and many clubs have done serious work in recent times. Great to see Shandonagh and Multyfarnham developing a second pitch and looks like Delvin have ambitious plans too.
Still probably a lack of floodlit pitches up to the required standard for both football and hurling.
The 2 lomans pitches are class and to have a full size fully lit astro is a great asset for club and county, especially since new dressing rooms complete. Was the astro funded by Leinster GAA ?
Kinnegad a great set up too with 3 full size pitches and 1 floodlit. The Downs with their 2 pitches, (1 floodlit) a new junior pitch, stand, terrace, clubhouse, gym must be one of the best setups.
Good few clubs with small astros too and hurling walls. Indoor facility at Clonkill is class but they don't appear to have much space to expand. 2 new pitches at Raharney are excellent but no lights.
Athlone probably lead the way down south and have done for some time ? 3 full size pitches all with lights now I believe.
Loads more of great community projects and they are just some examples.
The tremendous community facilities at Streete - are they used by any gaa club ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 22/02/2021 20:44:58    2332478

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Any thoughts on the state of club facilities throughout the county ? I think the standard is quite high and many clubs have done serious work in recent times. Great to see Shandonagh and Multyfarnham developing a second pitch and looks like Delvin have ambitious plans too.
Still probably a lack of floodlit pitches up to the required standard for both football and hurling.
The 2 lomans pitches are class and to have a full size fully lit astro is a great asset for club and county, especially since new dressing rooms complete. Was the astro funded by Leinster GAA ?
Kinnegad a great set up too with 3 full size pitches and 1 floodlit. The Downs with their 2 pitches, (1 floodlit) a new junior pitch, stand, terrace, clubhouse, gym must be one of the best setups.
Good few clubs with small astros too and hurling walls. Indoor facility at Clonkill is class but they don't appear to have much space to expand. 2 new pitches at Raharney are excellent but no lights.
Athlone probably lead the way down south and have done for some time ? 3 full size pitches all with lights now I believe.
Loads more of great community projects and they are just some examples.
The tremendous community facilities at Streete - are they used by any gaa club ?"
Yes I think that the Astro in Lomans was funded and I believe is owned by Leinster gaa.
The downs have probably the best set up out of them all & talking to a few people from the club they have more plans to expand & upgrade their facilities even further.
Clonkill also are looking to expand but with lack of space to develop I believe they are still planning on a mini Astro turf & floodlighting their pitch .shamrocks they good facilities in terms of a clubhouse and Astro but could probably do with a resurfacing the pitch as it is very up & down & wouldnt be the best pitches to play on.
Garrycastle also have improved their pitch by adding better drainage to their main pitch which is fully floodlit aswell , they also added a fine Astro turf.
Isn't shandonaghs development not meant to be up in the millions with the cost wherever they are getting the money from.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 22/02/2021 21:21:11    2332483

Link

Shamrocks not great in my opinion, dressing rooms poor and too small. Yes a decent astro and walking track but overall not great, especially for a senior club.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 22/02/2021 22:12:50    2332491

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Shamrocks not great in my opinion, dressing rooms poor and too small. Yes a decent astro and walking track but overall not great, especially for a senior club."
That's because they keep the two bigger dressing rooms for themselves for home games. Always put the visiting team in the old one!
Their gym is excellent. got a peak in to it a couple of years ago. Properly fitted for what a GAA team needs.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 279 - 23/02/2021 08:33:56    2332501

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "That's because they keep the two bigger dressing rooms for themselves for home games. Always put the visiting team in the old one!
Their gym is excellent. got a peak in to it a couple of years ago. Properly fitted for what a GAA team needs."
Fair point which is what every would do in fairness. Forgot about gym, yes I believe it is decent. They too are a bit restricted in terms of expansion.
With regard to Lakepoint Park, wasn't there whispers about the county board developing a centre of excellence type facility on lands at back of Lomans pitches.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 23/02/2021 10:13:08    2332507

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Fair point which is what every would do in fairness. Forgot about gym, yes I believe it is decent. They too are a bit restricted in terms of expansion.
With regard to Lakepoint Park, wasn't there whispers about the county board developing a centre of excellence type facility on lands at back of Lomans pitches."
I've heard Rumours that the county board were looking to develop a centre of excellence in loughnavalley.
Would make sense really with it being roughly in the centre of Westmeath and it has an equal distance for the furthest away clubs to travel too. Also out there beside loughnavalley pitch there's plenty of fields around which would allow for development & for a grand center of excellence to be built.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 23/02/2021 11:09:51    2332518

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "I've heard Rumours that the county board were looking to develop a centre of excellence in loughnavalley.
Would make sense really with it being roughly in the centre of Westmeath and it has an equal distance for the furthest away clubs to travel too. Also out there beside loughnavalley pitch there's plenty of fields around which would allow for development & for a grand center of excellence to be built."
Yeah I heard that too but it probably wont happen for a long time because of Covid.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 23/02/2021 12:28:24    2332528

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "I've heard Rumours that the county board were looking to develop a centre of excellence in loughnavalley.
Would make sense really with it being roughly in the centre of Westmeath and it has an equal distance for the furthest away clubs to travel too. Also out there beside loughnavalley pitch there's plenty of fields around which would allow for development & for a grand center of excellence to be built."
They were hoping to get the Valleys pitch if the club folded

the best gym in the county is in Rochfortbridge. An example to what any club in the county should be able to do

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1811 - 23/02/2021 14:25:56    2332538

Link

Replying To valley84:  "They were hoping to get the Valleys pitch if the club folded

the best gym in the county is in Rochfortbridge. An example to what any club in the county should be able to do"
Yes great gym and other facilities in the 'Bridge including astro, stand, decent enough pitch too and a junior pitch.
I think it's a public gym i.e. not just for club use so probably brings in a few quid too.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 23/02/2021 17:41:22    2332552

Link

Athlone have great playing facilities with 3 full size, floodlit pitches, ball catchers etc. Four dressing rooms, and now a state of the art gym.
The pitches are often poor quality in the winter.
Lack of stand seems to impact hosting more championship games.
The Downs, Lomans, Kinnegad have great facilities as well. Caulry also recently opened a second full size pitch.

The county are miles behind the likes of Meath, kildare, Laois, Offaly, Leitrim, Galway etc who all have centre of excellence facilities which allow for training of all county teams in top class facilities.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 23/02/2021 20:47:06    2332571

Link

That's right, Caulry have a lovely new second pitch. I guess its crucial now for clubs with Ladies teams and underage to be able to cater for the demand and protect the pitches.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 23/02/2021 22:07:24    2332587

Link

What pitches can host official floodlit games
Ait
Athlone x 3
St.lomans x 2
Kinnegad
Tubberclair
The downs
Moate ?

The bigger clubs have huge advantages when comes to attraction when have such facilities and gyms are a huge advantage for younger player development. Westmeath could do with a central centre of excellence and get rid of north and south divide.

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 23/02/2021 22:42:27    2332588

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Yes great gym and other facilities in the 'Bridge including astro, stand, decent enough pitch too and a junior pitch.
I think it's a public gym i.e. not just for club use so probably brings in a few quid too."
Fine facilities in Rochfortbridge, huge push on development in the last decade and it's a credit to them

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 23/02/2021 22:53:24    2332589

Link

Replying To PowellJohn:  "What pitches can host official floodlit games
Ait
Athlone x 3
St.lomans x 2
Kinnegad
Tubberclair
The downs
Moate ?

The bigger clubs have huge advantages when comes to attraction when have such facilities and gyms are a huge advantage for younger player development. Westmeath could do with a central centre of excellence and get rid of north and south divide."
The floodlights in Moate are at the school pitch and rarely host club games I think.
Tubberclair's lights not up to standard for adult matches in my opinion but I know it is used on occasion.
Centrally located CoE makes lost of sense. Big money though.
Do it gradually, get pitches sorted first.
In Donegal they were togging out in prefabs for years but had 3 or 4 great pitches in Convoy where clubhouse has just been completed.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 24/02/2021 17:16:12    2332654

Link

It's probably the most pressing need in Westmeath GAA. The list of counties with impressive centres of excellence include Louth, Meath, Monaghan and Offaly, counties with similar populations to ours, Meath excepted. Unfortunately Covid has pushed this even further down the line as Croke Park and Leinster Council Funding obviously massively reduced. We really need a committee that's too heavy with renowned business people to drive this. County board people already doing enough work, business people are the experts at making money.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 195 - 24/02/2021 20:18:24    2332674

Link

Standards are way behind clubs in County Meath where Id say 40% of clubs have lights suitable for games, they also did their CoE bit by bit and didnt rush it. A couple of pitches, then wait a few years, then a couple more then dressing rooms etc. It probably took them over 10 years to do it and I think they have plans for a few more pitches. The Westmeath CoE is like the national Broadband roll out - plenty of talk but no action!
While you're talking about club grounds, St. Pauls have made big improvements over the last few years - a second full size pitch and a top class Astro. Not bad for a Junior club.

Boarderboy (Meath) - Posts: 99 - 24/02/2021 20:26:44    2332675

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "The floodlights in Moate are at the school pitch and rarely host club games I think.
Tubberclair's lights not up to standard for adult matches in my opinion but I know it is used on occasion.
Centrally located CoE makes lost of sense. Big money though.
Do it gradually, get pitches sorted first.
In Donegal they were togging out in prefabs for years but had 3 or 4 great pitches in Convoy where clubhouse has just been completed."
Anyone of them places should be hosting more games with floodlights if country board always worried about fixtures lists.
Tubberclares are as good as Athlones.
Ait and lomans probably the best. Don't know what they standard is to actually host an official games is.
Lots of county's have one don't know why Westmeath should be any different.

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 25/02/2021 09:17:53    2332704

Link