Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mickruane:  "Big question is for next year have Corofin got the players coming through to replace the aging players like Sice Lundy McGrath and Steede??they have been performing constant for them the last 10 years but with these guys pushing on I do question is the same quality is there to replace them???definetely not in my opinion...Moycullen (Man City )look a strong powerful side who will be looking to push on and win another few county titles...mountbellew are young athletic and classy and will be there for years to come while u wud imagine Salthill and Claregalway will begin to push with the amount of quality they have coming through....I think we cud be in for a very exciting and open championship in the next 5 to 10 years with the amount of quality young sides coming through"
Moycullen are Salthill light with players from Cavan, Mayo etc... and surerly Mountbellew/Moylough should be two teams. How can it be fair to have 2 small towns joined together and have one team? Corofin are far from finished. All they need is 3 or 4 new players coming through and they could have them. I hope there is an All Ireland club championship and Moycullen will discover just how hard it is to win it.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 18/10/2020 20:33:25    2298917

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Moycullen are Salthill light with players from Cavan, Mayo etc... and surerly Mountbellew/Moylough should be two teams. How can it be fair to have 2 small towns joined together and have one team? Corofin are far from finished. All they need is 3 or 4 new players coming through and they could have them. I hope there is an All Ireland club championship and Moycullen will discover just how hard it is to win it."
Yes because no gaa club team in Ireland is two small villages joined up.

Considering Corofin's pick and giant cachement area this is a bananas post.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 325 - 18/10/2020 21:05:48    2298934

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Moycullen are Salthill light with players from Cavan, Mayo etc... and surerly Mountbellew/Moylough should be two teams. How can it be fair to have 2 small towns joined together and have one team? Corofin are far from finished. All they need is 3 or 4 new players coming through and they could have them. I hope there is an All Ireland club championship and Moycullen will discover just how hard it is to win it."
Just to clarify about the 2 villages thing as a lot of people do not seem to understand. GAA clubs in Galway like most of the country are formed around parishes. In rural Galway most parishes have at least 2 x Roman Catholic churches. Historically this relates to population and the fact that each church area did not have the population to sustain a parish priest AND a curate. So the parish priest would be located near one church (e.g. Moylough) with the curate in the other church in the parish ( e.g. Mountbellew). This is replicated all over the county. Kilkerrin / Clonberne, Caltra/Ahascragh, Monivea/Abbeyknockmoy, Ballygar/Newbridge, Corofin/Belclare, Dunmore/Garrafrauns. All these are SINGLE parishes. As the relative populations in all these parishes is getting smaller ,if anything, there is no need or benefit to splitting the parishes. Probably the exception to the above list is Corofin/Belclare , but even in Corofin the population is not as big as the catchments of Clareglaway, Oranmore, Salthill, Moycullen or Barna so I think where possible it is good to keep with the traditional parishes/clubs.
Regarding Mountbellew / Moylough , the parish has always played together . The records show that "Mountbellew" won the county championship in 1974 while "Mountbellew-Moylough" won it in 1986 , giving some people the impression that there was an amalgamation in the intervening years. Not so , what actually happened around that time was a club decision to change its name to reflect the actual parish name, but no change to the club or parishes geography happened.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 19/10/2020 09:42:27    2299029

Link

It used to be people giving out about the size of Corofin and now that Mountbellew beat Corofin you are giving out about the size of Mountbellew...ah stop!!

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 19/10/2020 10:53:47    2299073

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Just to clarify about the 2 villages thing as a lot of people do not seem to understand. GAA clubs in Galway like most of the country are formed around parishes. In rural Galway most parishes have at least 2 x Roman Catholic churches. Historically this relates to population and the fact that each church area did not have the population to sustain a parish priest AND a curate. So the parish priest would be located near one church (e.g. Moylough) with the curate in the other church in the parish ( e.g. Mountbellew). This is replicated all over the county. Kilkerrin / Clonberne, Caltra/Ahascragh, Monivea/Abbeyknockmoy, Ballygar/Newbridge, Corofin/Belclare, Dunmore/Garrafrauns. All these are SINGLE parishes. As the relative populations in all these parishes is getting smaller ,if anything, there is no need or benefit to splitting the parishes. Probably the exception to the above list is Corofin/Belclare , but even in Corofin the population is not as big as the catchments of Clareglaway, Oranmore, Salthill, Moycullen or Barna so I think where possible it is good to keep with the traditional parishes/clubs.
Regarding Mountbellew / Moylough , the parish has always played together . The records show that "Mountbellew" won the county championship in 1974 while "Mountbellew-Moylough" won it in 1986 , giving some people the impression that there was an amalgamation in the intervening years. Not so , what actually happened around that time was a club decision to change its name to reflect the actual parish name, but no change to the club or parishes geography happened."
By the way its not just a North galway thing. I forgot to mention Peterswell/Kilchreest, Leitrim/Kilnadeema, Abbey/Duniry, Kilconnell / Aughrim, Fohenagh/Killure, Ballymacward/Gurteen, Oranmore/Maree , and i'm sure there are more.
Of course there may be exceptions. Tuam/Cortoon are the same parish with separate mens GAA club. Not sure if there is any other instance of 2 clubs with catchment areas completely inside 1 parish?

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 19/10/2020 16:20:08    2299250

Link

Carnmore hurling club is the hurling club for Claregalway parish.

renoir (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 20/10/2020 12:31:01    2299555

Link

Relegation final put back until Spring. Doubtful it will go ahead now at all.

Stripsandbanners (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 22/10/2020 15:30:35    2300252

Link

Any chance this getting rattled off pre xmas. I know I'd like it off my mind ASAP if I was involved

Sportsfanatic90 (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 17/11/2020 07:22:23    2310482

Link