Donegal Forum

Requirement To Play For A County

(Oldest Posts First)

Had a conversation and wondering if anyone can help out?

What is the minimum base requirement to play for a particular county?

- Obviously if you are born, living and playing for a club inside a county- thats your County.

- In the case of others you have players born in the county but playing club football elsewhere.

- Then you have cases where players not born in the county, have transferred to a club there and become eligable.

I suppose what the question is, if a child born in Donegal and lived there up until the age of 6 or 7, then moved to live in another county for the rest of his days. Is he eligable by Birth or by Schooling to play for the county of origin?

In the case of Nathan Mullins i'm not sure if he was born in Donegal, but he was schooled in Donegal and played some underage club there but obviously as a teen/adult moved to Dublin but was still eligable to play for us.

Whats the base requirement here?

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 328 - 11/06/2020 11:50:35    2280405

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Had a conversation and wondering if anyone can help out?

- Obviously if you are born, living and playing for a club inside a county- thats your County.

- In the case of others you have players born in the county but playing club football elsewhere.

- Then you have cases where players not born in the county, have transferred to a club there and become eligable.

I suppose what the question is, if a child born in Donegal and lived there up until the age of 6 or 7, then moved to live in another county for the rest of his days. Is he eligable by Birth or by Schooling to play for the county of origin?

In the case of Nathan Mullins i'm not sure if he was born in Donegal, but he was schooled in Donegal and played some underage club there but obviously as a teen/adult moved to Dublin but was still eligable to play for us.

Whats the base requirement here?"
Is he any good ,basic requirements ,I assume .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 11/06/2020 13:01:35    2280422

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Is he any good ,basic requirements ,I assume ."
Haha yeah I'd say that's the main thing. If a player is deemed good enough and wants to play for a particular county then by hook or by crook it'll happen. e.g Seanie Johnston playing his first and only ever game of hurling in Kildare.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7356 - 11/06/2020 14:07:40    2280431

Link

It used to be that you had to be living or working in another county to qualify.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 746 - 11/06/2020 15:26:52    2280437

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Haha yeah I'd say that's the main thing. If a player is deemed good enough and wants to play for a particular county then by hook or by crook it'll happen. e.g Seanie Johnston playing his first and only ever game of hurling in Kildare."
Canavan said that when he was first called up to play Minor or u21 for Tyrone, he was not affiliated with any club due to a long standing feud which eventually resulted in the formation of Errigal Ciaran, and to be eligable to represent the county you have to be a registered club player with the GAA, so he registered as a hurler with some other Tyrone club! And that match programme on the day testifies this!

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 328 - 12/06/2020 13:56:50    2280509

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Canavan said that when he was first called up to play Minor or u21 for Tyrone, he was not affiliated with any club due to a long standing feud which eventually resulted in the formation of Errigal Ciaran, and to be eligable to represent the county you have to be a registered club player with the GAA, so he registered as a hurler with some other Tyrone club! And that match programme on the day testifies this!"
Yeah I remember reading that somewhere about Canavan. What a ridiculous set of circumstances it was that one of the best players to have ever played the game could have been prevented from playing at the highest level.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7356 - 12/06/2020 14:53:54    2280513

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Had a conversation and wondering if anyone can help out?

Whats the base requirement here?"
I would imagine its to do with your First club. If you play u12 for a club its deemed to be your First club and as such that would also be your county. If you transfer to another club you have to decide whether to change your county allegiance. If you don't I'd say you are always eligible to play for your first county

donegaldouble (Donegal) - Posts: 272 - 18/06/2020 07:54:37    2281173

Link

Replying To donegaldouble:  "I would imagine its to do with your First club. If you play u12 for a club its deemed to be your First club and as such that would also be your county. If you transfer to another club you have to decide whether to change your county allegiance. If you don't I'd say you are always eligible to play for your first county"
Interesting. In the case of Mullins he has represented Dublin at u21 level before ever playing for Donegal.

So its hard to see the grounds of being able to transfer to Donegal at senior level whilst resident and playing club football in Dublin.

There is clearly some base criteria that he is fulfilling to be eligible for us for life. Perhaps Birth, School or first club.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 328 - 18/06/2020 12:52:07    2281192

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Interesting. In the case of Mullins he has represented Dublin at u21 level before ever playing for Donegal.

So its hard to see the grounds of being able to transfer to Donegal at senior level whilst resident and playing club football in Dublin.

There is clearly some base criteria that he is fulfilling to be eligible for us for life. Perhaps Birth, School or first club."
I was looking at the rules. I think his first club is Carndonnagh and obviously then his first county is Donegal. He transferred to St Vincents and changed his county as well, thus allowing him to play for Dublin. He then changed his county back to his first county, Donegal. I dont think you can be stopped from transferring back to your first club or county.

donegaldouble (Donegal) - Posts: 272 - 18/06/2020 14:02:11    2281197

Link