Westmeath Forum

Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ear2ground:  "No sign of Gonoud, Egan, Quinn, Boyle, conellan or Gaughan yet this year at any challenge games or Laois last sunday be interesting to see if any are in the team this weekend. Maguire massive loss to the back line he always goes about his job with minimal fuss. Paddy holloway is obviously still recovering from his bad knee injury and the St.Lomans contingent are enjoying there well earned few weeks break i imagine we'll see them for the leagure against derry. Would love to see few more of them called in like ronan o toole, david whelan etc. Its certainly a time of change in Westmeath football. I couldnt get much of a read from kellys brand of football last sunday very scrappy game lot of new faces, i reckon it will be a game or two into the league to see if he puts much emphasis on attack."
haven't got the forwards to put much emphasis on attack especially when Heslin isn't around and even when he is if there not a poor side the majority of his scores are coming from Frees..

Maybe Luke Loughlins pace with Heslin could open things up a little with Kieran Martin working between them
We'll have to wait and see

A win sunday and it's the dubs in mullingar the following weekend i guess you'd have to say if we cant beat there 3rd team why would lads bother there arse coming back in... like Sharry or the Lomans lads

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 05/01/2018 11:16:00    2066906

Link

I read an article by Dick Clerkin in the paper a couple of weeks ago where he interviewed Sharry where Sharry spoke of the reason for playing county football was to get a chance to play against the top teams. Surely he will return to the fold when the league starts; sure he's entitled to a break along with the rest of the Lomans lads but he needs to back up his talk and return to the panel, every player is needed. If every players makes themselves available we haven't a bad panel.

Keepers: Quinn, Carberry
Backs: Gonoud, K Daly, Stone, Dolan, Mulligan, Sayeh, Whelan, McCallon, Lynch, Slevin, Carr, Duncan
Midfielders: Corroon, Holloway, G Egan, Sharry, D Daly
Forwards: Heslin, Martin, Loughlin, Leech, Dempsey, Connellan, Gaughan, D McCormack, C McCormack, Coyne

Retired/Away: Boyle, Glennon, Reilly, Maguire

I'm probably missing a few as well.
Bottom line, we need everyone for a good league campaign.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 198 - 05/01/2018 12:38:24    2066932

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "haven't got the forwards to put much emphasis on attack especially when Heslin isn't around and even when he is if there not a poor side the majority of his scores are coming from Frees..

Maybe Luke Loughlins pace with Heslin could open things up a little with Kieran Martin working between them
We'll have to wait and see

A win sunday and it's the dubs in mullingar the following weekend i guess you'd have to say if we cant beat there 3rd team why would lads bother there arse coming back in... like Sharry or the Lomans lads"
Only if the Dubs beat Wexford by 16+ points. Otherwise it'd be Offaly. Getting to a semi final would be good regardless of opposition though from the point of view of getting a more competitive game than arranging a challenge in the run up to the league.

anon (None) - Posts: 338 - 05/01/2018 12:43:41    2066933

Link

Replying To Left Full:  "I read an article by Dick Clerkin in the paper a couple of weeks ago where he interviewed Sharry where Sharry spoke of the reason for playing county football was to get a chance to play against the top teams. Surely he will return to the fold when the league starts; sure he's entitled to a break along with the rest of the Lomans lads but he needs to back up his talk and return to the panel, every player is needed. If every players makes themselves available we haven't a bad panel.

Backs: Gonoud, K Daly, Stone, Dolan, Mulligan, Sayeh, Whelan, McCallon, Lynch, Slevin, Carr, Duncan
Forwards: Heslin, Martin, Loughlin, Leech, Dempsey, Connellan, Gaughan, D McCormack, C McCormack, Coyne

Bottom line, we need everyone for a good league campaign."
david bryan will be main keeper

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1349 - 05/01/2018 13:26:50    2066941

Link

Replying To anon:  "Only if the Dubs beat Wexford by 16+ points. Otherwise it'd be Offaly. Getting to a semi final would be good regardless of opposition though from the point of view of getting a more competitive game than arranging a challenge in the run up to the league."
westmeath v offaly in mullingar

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1349 - 05/01/2018 13:27:48    2066942

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "david bryan will be main keeper"
Kelly is trying out a few different lads in goals which is great. This is a position we have struggled in so it's important we try to rectify this. I don't think Connellan is coming back.

Be brilliant to get a few more games in January to try out a few new more players. All the lomans lads should be given as long as they need as they had a long year.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 930 - 05/01/2018 14:07:56    2066949

Link

Replying To Left Full:  "I read an article by Dick Clerkin in the paper a couple of weeks ago where he interviewed Sharry where Sharry spoke of the reason for playing county football was to get a chance to play against the top teams. Surely he will return to the fold when the league starts; sure he's entitled to a break along with the rest of the Lomans lads but he needs to back up his talk and return to the panel, every player is needed. If every players makes themselves available we haven't a bad panel.

Typical Sharry, leave the situation unanswered so they will talk about him some more. Will he, wont he for the next few months!

Thats as poor a Westmeath panel as I can ever recall. We'll do well to stay in Div 3.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 513 - 05/01/2018 14:54:33    2066959

Link

Lot of lads on that panel won't get near the pitch during the league let alone the championship , we have a good first 20 - 21 if we can keep them uninjured can see us doing well , I taught we played very well in first half against Laois likes of stone and corroon and whatever Kelly has done or said to Loughlin seems to be working rather him at 11 than inside . Kieran Martin looks rusty but that will come .

Pintman13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 05/01/2018 18:38:36    2066993

Link

Boyle has committed to another season

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 06/01/2018 12:14:49    2067065

Link

Great win with good final score.
anyone have the Final Line up and scorers. Who Did well?

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 206 - 07/01/2018 15:46:34    2067174

Link

Loughlinn ran a muck again and Callum McCormack seems to be fit again at long last.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 105 - 07/01/2018 16:42:54    2067191

Link

Replying To JohnyDuncan:  "Loughlinn ran a muck again and Callum McCormack seems to be fit again at long last."
Callum is very injury prone, would be nice to see him get a run a fabulous footballer. Lord Laois showed me why they are division 4 side. I know they gave 38 lads a chance in the two games but I never though I see the day they would be so bad. I think we will know where we are after the Offaly game.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 07/01/2018 19:25:42    2067228

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "A couple of new names in there which is welcome to see. Surprised to see Callum McCormack in there though. He is very injury prone and cant see the benefit of him playing in a O'Byrne Cup game in December. Personally speaking I dont think he has been fit for at least 5 years and cant see him figuring for WH anymore."
3-4 for Callum McCormack today as Colin Kelly's side made it 2 from 2 in the O'Byrne Cup today.

Next up Offaly in the semi-finals!

#iarmhabu

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 07/01/2018 22:14:02    2067254

Link

Taken from Indo:

Scorers - Westmeath: C McCormack 3-3, L Loughlin 0-7 (2f), K Martin 0-3, J Dolan, F Coyne (f), A Gardiner 0-1 each. Laois: R Munnelly 1-5 (2f), E Lowry 0-5 (4f), N Donoher, A Forbes, R Murray 0-1 each.

Westmeath - E Carbery; J Rock, S Duncan, M McCallon; J Dolan, N Mulligan, C Slevin; A Stone, D Corroon; N Scally, L Loughlin, K Martin; C McCormack, J Sheerin, J Egan. Reps: K Fagan for Carbery (h-t), A Gardiner for Rock (h-t), F Coyne for Sheerin (h-t), K Daly for Slevin (51), S Lyster for Stone (55), G Carr for Mulligan (60), G Leech for McCallon (60), B Sayeh for Martin (60), J Marshment for Egan (62), C Shanley for McCormack (62), T Molloy for Loughlin (69).

McCormack proving the doubters wrong so far - something the manager alluded to in post match interview.
Offaly will be a different test altogether but another competitive match will help the league preparation.
Kelly is in touch with the Lomans lads as you'd expect - seems Sharry is non committal as this stage but time will tell.
How come so many Shandonagh lads involved ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 815 - 08/01/2018 13:25:13    2067338

Link

Replying To wonit1time:  "3-4 for Callum McCormack today as Colin Kelly's side made it 2 from 2 in the O'Byrne Cup today.

Next up Offaly in the semi-finals!

#iarmhabu"
Great to see but I still stand by what i said. Would be a huge addition to Westmeath if he could stay fit.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 513 - 08/01/2018 13:38:07    2067342

Link

Any sign of Tommy McDaniels yet this year?

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 151 - 09/01/2018 13:22:09    2067502

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "Any sign of Tommy McDaniels yet this year?"
He has transfered from balinagore to a Dublin Club and heard he couldnt give the commitment req to play for westmeath

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 85 - 10/01/2018 13:50:58    2067650

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "He has transfered from balinagore to a Dublin Club and heard he couldnt give the commitment req to play for westmeath"
He'll be a huge loss for them, they'll struggle to stay Intermediate this year

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 263 - 10/01/2018 16:46:21    2067668

Link

Is McDaniels really transferred? thats a huge loss for Bgore if he has. Any other transfers announced? there was a rumour about Denis Glennon moving to Shandonagh.Is that true does anyone know.

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 206 - 10/01/2018 17:36:22    2067675

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "He has transfered from balinagore to a Dublin Club and heard he couldnt give the commitment req to play for westmeath"
What Dublin club is he gone to lads?

RoylerKing (Meath) - Posts: 809 - 10/01/2018 18:16:47    2067681

Link