UK Forum

Warwickshire 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It will be another titanic sfc final on the 28th between two true gaa giants in warwickshire.

Looking back at yesterday sfc involving macs v casements . The unbelievable never say die attitude displayed by macs must be congratulated and their use of their veteran star Joey Dowling was excellent as his ball carrying skils and his goal line clearance when casements were 2 points down were vital in the last passage of the match.

I did not see the mitchells match but by all accounts they deserved their victory and will be warm favourites to retain their sfc crown but do not write off the macs!

Harp46brum (UK) - Posts: 148 - 15/09/2014 18:02:08    1652344

Link

I don't see to many of the lads on here today that were predicting a big win for Casements all last week.

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 256 - 15/09/2014 19:55:24    1652383

Link

casements didnt show up sunday - worst i have seen them play all year and they must be kicking themselves having beaten Macs by 8 in the rounds. Forwards really let them down not taking points when they were on top before and after half time. Fair play to macs - only team i know who thrive on going a man down. However they do not have the qwuality of former years and i would expect Mitchels to have too much for them. Fighting spirit will only get you so far and quality must win through. A bit like Barnabus in the other semi - they battled well for 50 minutes but in the end the quality of the balls into the Mitchels forward line proved the difference

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 16/09/2014 12:25:20    1652612

Link

Didn't see the game but I would have put money on Casements beating a 14 man (most of the game) Macs side, especially when they were missing Hayden.

Guess I would have lost money..

TakeTheHit (UK) - Posts: 98 - 16/09/2014 12:26:33    1652614

Link

Was at the games Sunday and for me it was macs homegrown young lads aswell as the free taker that got them over the line by a comfortable
5 points in the end. As for the Mitchell's game a very one sides affair with some fresh new faces in the Mitchell's team, surely that puts them in bad stead for the homegrown championship coming up? Do they have any homegrown players left?

JustSaying. (UK) - Posts: 51 - 16/09/2014 17:52:46    1652805

Link

Macs should be congratulated on their homegrown talent Sunday; The Gilbrides, Conal dowling and Ryan Bennett were exceptional. JM have a good few homegrown lads and i would expect them to win the final. Macs will go a man down and JM will be able to deal with it better than Casements did.

square_ball_ref (UK) - Posts: 127 - 16/09/2014 18:46:31    1652840

Link

I totally agree with the comments made about macs home grown stars who really shone on Sunday none brighter than Conal Dowling who was everywhere and was seen right back on his goal line at one stage in the second half! Macs policy of playing their star young players in their senior time is an example to the whole county.

It will be interesting to see whether JM fly back big Benny McKenna for the final as he is a real match winner and I cannot see any body in macs to be able to mark him effectively as he is class.

Another vital man for the final will be the choice of referee who I feel must be an external appointment from say London as there not much love between these two gaa giants and it would be a great shame if the match is spoilt by petty fouls black and red cards etc.

Harp46brum (UK) - Posts: 148 - 16/09/2014 21:42:05    1652882

Link

I think both Macs and casements on sunday had a strong backbone of homegrown players. There were 8/9 on both teams that started with the four subs coming on (2 each) homegrown as well. Compare that with the other semi final where Mitchels have no homegrown starters and Barnabus maybe had 2/3 and it shows you who is bringing the homegrown talent through.

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 18/09/2014 13:52:55    1653409

Link

Mitchells had 13 Irish and 2 homegrown starters (Loney and Clifford) with 3 Irish and 2 homegrown on the bench(o'Shea + Smith), McDermotts had 7 Irish and 8 homegrown starters with 4/5 homegrown and 2 Irish on the bench.
Casements had 7 homegrown and 8 Irish starters (I THINK) and Barnabus had 12 Irish starters and 3 homegrown. All this is completely irrelevant though- doesn't matter either way.
Who's everyone backing on the 28th then? What's the odds for each?

TonyMontana (Kerry) - Posts: 75 - 18/09/2014 16:06:03    1653491

Link

Tommy & Tony,

You are wildly out with one of the teams you are talking about - not that it matters.

patrick (UK) - Posts: 52 - 18/09/2014 18:29:54    1653574

Link

The comments regarding the number of local players on the teams on Sunday is a good marker for the forthcoming Homegrown Championships which start on the 5th October where Macs must be favourites to progress into the National competition from Warwickshire but the possible dark horses being Casements or EGB which overall should be a good contest

SFC Final prediction - MitChells to win by 5 but it will take a massive effort for them to overcome sfc experts macs whose record since 1995 must be one of the best in the UK

Harp46brum (UK) - Posts: 148 - 18/09/2014 18:46:47    1653582

Link

As patrick says your way out on 1. Barnabas had 6 homegrown players playing sunday and 3 subs that came on were homegrown as well. As you say it is irrelevant now...macs to win final by 2

cityground (UK) - Posts: 1 - 18/09/2014 19:12:12    1653593

Link

Gents/ Ladies,

Mitchels had two starters (Looney & Clifford) and 5 on the bench (Smith, O'Shea, Grace, Walsh & Brough).

They also had numerous English born lads play in the Reserve Championship final that they won on Saturday night (D Harkin, J Harkin, McGill, Gallagher, Smith, Shelvey etc).

Not sure what all the fuss about Irish lads is, the sport wouldn't be in this country if it wasn't for immigration.

McCooey's suspension swings this one in Mitchel's favour, Mitchel's by 5.

Regards,

Winker ;-)

winker (Down) - Posts: 46 - 18/09/2014 20:41:22    1653616

Link

Harp46Brum,

I think EGB have a great chance IF they can get all their lads out. I can only think of two Irish lads in their championship team (Niblock and Full Back).

I hope that they give it a good shot as they were very unlucky in both the seniors and reserves this year.

Regards,

Winker ;-)

winker (Down) - Posts: 46 - 18/09/2014 20:45:17    1653618

Link

If accounts are true it's hard to know who one of the weekends teams were playing. Even the management struggled.
Least the sideline can chip in when lads are homegrown

Breiffne1 (Cavan) - Posts: 26 - 18/09/2014 20:49:16    1653621

Link

It is irrelevant how may homegrown players started for each side, but interesting nonetheless. I doubt a championship has ever been won in warks with 8/9 English born lads starting? I'm open to be proved wrong there though. If Macs can keep Garvey relatively quiet and keep 15 on the pitch then they might sneak a win next week. I think it'll be tight for 50 mins until Mitchels score 2 goals to seal it.
Mitchels by 4

halfbackward (UK) - Posts: 76 - 19/09/2014 12:33:47    1653804

Link

Lads get over the home-grown argument. Irish immigrants improve the quality of clubs. They improve training sessions and they improve matches.Macs young lads are only at the level they are at because they have trained and played weekly with (relatively) top quality Irish players coming into the team. They train with them, learn from them and overtake them. Their system works great - except they do not have the same level of discipline and that will catch them out.

Good luck to both teams, can honestly see it go either way. I also think the talk of "needing to get the referee right" is over-rated. Emphasis should be on the 30 players on the pitch playing to the best of their ability and to the rules, and if they break the rules accept the consequences. The job of the referee is not to "let the game flow" but to enforce the rules from the throw in to the final whistle. He will make mistakes, but if the players don't give him a reason to consider sending him off then his cards will stay in his pocket.

This will go to a replay I think.

square_ball_ref (UK) - Posts: 127 - 19/09/2014 13:38:58    1653859

Link

'Irish immigrants improve the quality of clubs' is a massive understatement. There is a huge gulf. How many teams win All Britain with homegrown lads? As far back as I can recall, big Coyne from St Peters is the only one I know of.

mylovelyhorse (UK) - Posts: 36 - 20/09/2014 11:47:22    1654158

Link

On paper EGB would be the strongest 'homegrown' team, but as we've seen games aren't played on paper. Like many competitions at this time of year depends what players turn out. Invariably many of the home grown lads will be playing soccer etc

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 20/09/2014 12:38:42    1654171

Link

It's fantastic that young English lads are playing GAA. A statement like ' they are only as good because Irish immigrants step up the class' is very foolish. either way, would they have 15 starters if the English or Irish fellas were not there?

derrycitymucker (Derry) - Posts: 18 - 21/09/2014 10:41:42    1654402

Link