UK Forum

All Britain Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

the all britian is back this weekend! shiedl looks doesnt look like its getting much interest but for me its a good opportunity for clubs to get experience outside there county where they might not again?

hugh o'neills v sean mcdermotts

mcdermotts to win easy.

thomas mccurtain v oisins

could see this being a close game. oisin probably to win by 2 or 3 as they normally peak for this time of year.

st. judes v eire og

eire og to beat judes could be another close game though. eire og by 2-3

gaels to win the competition and possible get to an all ireland semi

Saltire_Scout (UK) - Posts: 7 - 18/10/2019 17:52:23    2244277

Link

Replying To Saltire_Scout:  "the all britian is back this weekend! shiedl looks doesnt look like its getting much interest but for me its a good opportunity for clubs to get experience outside there county where they might not again?

hugh o'neills v sean mcdermotts

mcdermotts to win easy.

thomas mccurtain v oisins

could see this being a close game. oisin probably to win by 2 or 3 as they normally peak for this time of year.

st. judes v eire og

eire og to beat judes could be another close game though. eire og by 2-3

gaels to win the competition and possible get to an all ireland semi"
Saltire_Scout, i would have to disagree with you. Think Hugh O'Niells v McDermotts will be close enough. McCurtains to win their game, and also going for a St.Judes win.
Any idea of how the semi finals line up ?

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 256 - 19/10/2019 19:50:11    2244436

Link

Any results from yesterday's games ?
When & where are semi finals to be played ?

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 256 - 21/10/2019 09:25:18    2244705

Link

big win for mcdermotts in leeds. thomas mccurtains edged a thriller in birmingham by all account and judes beat eire og. mcdermott's play thomas mccurtains now and glasgow play judes

was at the mcdermotts game, they look strong and bound to be hungry after going so close the last years looking forward to there game against mccurtains. didnt hear anything about venues or dates for the next games they probably wont be for a few weeks. still stand by what I say before hard to see past gaels for the championship

Saltire_Scout (UK) - Posts: 7 - 21/10/2019 11:14:01    2244726

Link

Replying To Saltire_Scout:  "big win for mcdermotts in leeds. thomas mccurtains edged a thriller in birmingham by all account and judes beat eire og. mcdermott's play thomas mccurtains now and glasgow play judes

was at the mcdermotts game, they look strong and bound to be hungry after going so close the last years looking forward to there game against mccurtains. didnt hear anything about venues or dates for the next games they probably wont be for a few weeks. still stand by what I say before hard to see past gaels for the championship"
Never thought Hugh O'Neill's would cause Sean McDermott's much trouble and it proved the case, perhaps the Britain board need to consider a seeded system to give some of the smaller counties an opportunity to have a bit of a run and get a win or two under their belts. Would be interested to know when a Yorkshire team last won a game at this level.

Sean McDermott's shaping up nicely it seems and coming good at the right time as I understand they were lucky enough to get over the line against Casements in the county final. Most experienced team left in the competition and expect that to help but it's a tough route to silverware from here, Tommy Macs and Glasgow will be two good teams.

Games are scheduled for the week after next but not sure on venues. Some trek between Glasgow and Bournemouth!

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 88 - 21/10/2019 11:54:21    2244738

Link

Replying To Cilldara2012:  "Never thought Hugh O'Neill's would cause Sean McDermott's much trouble and it proved the case, perhaps the Britain board need to consider a seeded system to give some of the smaller counties an opportunity to have a bit of a run and get a win or two under their belts. Would be interested to know when a Yorkshire team last won a game at this level.

Sean McDermott's shaping up nicely it seems and coming good at the right time as I understand they were lucky enough to get over the line against Casements in the county final. Most experienced team left in the competition and expect that to help but it's a tough route to silverware from here, Tommy Macs and Glasgow will be two good teams.

Games are scheduled for the week after next but not sure on venues. Some trek between Glasgow and Bournemouth!"
Well Done to TMC, this was Oisins first Championship game away from their home pitch in Lancashire this season, old Bedians. They played all 3 of their Championship games at home, how can that be fair for the other clubs in the Mickey mouse championship in Lancashire. Seem like they pull the strings to get their way and games played at home all the time, surprised they didnt argue to get TMC game played there

craics90 (Tyrone) - Posts: 35 - 22/10/2019 20:10:40    2245051

Link

How is the draw for the All Britain actually done ?
Does anyone know ?
Noticed that McDermotts had to travel to Leeds, with Hugh O'Niells given a home draw.
St.Judes had to travel to Oxford, with Eire Og given a home draw.
Yet McCurtains & Oisin's was played at a neutral venue.
Our the clubs given any cost towards transport, coaches, etc from the Provincial of Britain at all ?

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 256 - 23/10/2019 10:02:17    2245156

Link

Replying To mayoallstar:  "How is the draw for the All Britain actually done ?
Does anyone know ?
Noticed that McDermotts had to travel to Leeds, with Hugh O'Niells given a home draw.
St.Judes had to travel to Oxford, with Eire Og given a home draw.
Yet McCurtains & Oisin's was played at a neutral venue.
Our the clubs given any cost towards transport, coaches, etc from the Provincial of Britain at all ?"
There is an open draw, only difference each year is that team who gets a buy this year can't have one next year so in this case Glasgow Gaels of Scotland.
Regarding venues First out gets a home draw but this year St Judes only have a rugby pitch to train on so there game was moved to Oxford.
McCurtains again don't play were they train but surprised they didn't play it in greenford.
teams don't get anything for travel costs of provincial thats only at county level.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 532 - 23/10/2019 13:25:35    2245218

Link

Éire Óg and St Judes played their first round game in Bristol, and not in Oxford as has been mentioned.

I beg correction but I understand teams travelling for first round game get some travel expenses from the All Britain Council?

ballagoballa (UK) - Posts: 43 - 23/10/2019 17:47:53    2245306

Link

Replying To ballagoballa:  "Éire Óg and St Judes played their first round game in Bristol, and not in Oxford as has been mentioned.

I beg correction but I understand teams travelling for first round game get some travel expenses from the All Britain Council?"
Bristol pitch was water logged and with st judes not having a pitch the game took place in oxford.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 532 - 23/10/2019 22:44:49    2245353

Link

Replying To ballagoballa:  "Éire Óg and St Judes played their first round game in Bristol, and not in Oxford as has been mentioned.

I beg correction but I understand teams travelling for first round game get some travel expenses from the All Britain Council?"
Sorry also no clubs get funding for travel, teams hire there own coaches etc.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 532 - 23/10/2019 22:46:07    2245354

Link

Bristol pitch was water logged and with st judes not having a pitch the game took place in oxford.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 532 - 23/10/2019 22:46:31    2245355

Link

Any opinions on this weekend's two semifinal's ?
McDermotts & McCurtains to be a tight game, McDermotts came out on top in this clash two years ago on route to the final, can't really see much between them again.
Very difficult to call, will go with McDermotts by the narrowest of margins, with maybe extra time required.
As regards Glasgow Gaels & St.Judes, everyone seems to fancy the Scottish champions , for obvious reasons I presume in beating Dunedin Connolly's, All Britain champions for the last two years, are the Gaels that good ?
Not much known about St.Judes, gave Neasden Gaels a good game last year.
I hear they are a very fit side, with some good footballers.
Going to side with St.Judes in this one.
Let's hope for two quality games .

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 256 - 29/10/2019 11:07:10    2246436

Link

Replying To mayoallstar:  "Any opinions on this weekend's two semifinal's ?
McDermotts & McCurtains to be a tight game, McDermotts came out on top in this clash two years ago on route to the final, can't really see much between them again.
Very difficult to call, will go with McDermotts by the narrowest of margins, with maybe extra time required.
As regards Glasgow Gaels & St.Judes, everyone seems to fancy the Scottish champions , for obvious reasons I presume in beating Dunedin Connolly's, All Britain champions for the last two years, are the Gaels that good ?
Not much known about St.Judes, gave Neasden Gaels a good game last year.
I hear they are a very fit side, with some good footballers.
Going to side with St.Judes in this one.
Let's hope for two quality games ."
Game in Ruislip I'm going TMC, just. Think it'll be very tight.

Glasgow have some class players in their full forward line. Some very fit and talented lads in their panel. Have to say know nothing about St Judes or anything to do with football down that part of England. Bit crude but I'll say Glasgow to win.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 29/10/2019 13:49:36    2246469

Link

Replying To WestAwake88:  "Game in Ruislip I'm going TMC, just. Think it'll be very tight.

Glasgow have some class players in their full forward line. Some very fit and talented lads in their panel. Have to say know nothing about St Judes or anything to do with football down that part of England. Bit crude but I'll say Glasgow to win."
glasgow will win 10+ imo. judes beat eire og well but there was not much in the scores. eire og got hammered the last few years in the all britain. mcdermotts put a serious score up on them in 18 so would not read to much into the result.

scotland have been way out in front the past number of years. there teams have serious catchment areas and there are a good few irish around the big citys. cannot see many teams coping with them and think they might go well in an all ireland quarter final.

the game in london will be interesting. sounds like there is a bit of rivalry between the teams looking at the paper this week. expect a close game but mcdermotts will win it out by 2-3. experience is massive at this stage. the only thing that might count against them is the pressure on them to win the competition especially now there foes connollys are gone.

Saltire_Scout (UK) - Posts: 7 - 31/10/2019 11:14:31    2246749

Link

Replying To Saltire_Scout:  "glasgow will win 10+ imo. judes beat eire og well but there was not much in the scores. eire og got hammered the last few years in the all britain. mcdermotts put a serious score up on them in 18 so would not read to much into the result.

scotland have been way out in front the past number of years. there teams have serious catchment areas and there are a good few irish around the big citys. cannot see many teams coping with them and think they might go well in an all ireland quarter final.

the game in london will be interesting. sounds like there is a bit of rivalry between the teams looking at the paper this week. expect a close game but mcdermotts will win it out by 2-3. experience is massive at this stage. the only thing that might count against them is the pressure on them to win the competition especially now there foes connollys are gone."
how many teams in Glasgow these days there used be a few teams knocking about up there, used be a team in Dumbarton years ago also. Also surely there could be a second team in Edinburgh.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2013 - 31/10/2019 18:47:55    2246869

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "how many teams in Glasgow these days there used be a few teams knocking about up there, used be a team in Dumbarton years ago also. Also surely there could be a second team in Edinburgh."
there are a few clubs but only two senior. 2 teams in glasgow. gaels and tir conaill harps who won junior this year. they would be way of the two big teams.

looking forward to the games this weekend. serious travelling involved for the game in brimingham

Saltire_Scout (UK) - Posts: 7 - 01/11/2019 10:32:17    2246950

Link

Should be two good games this weekend, would be nice if the rain was to ease off.
As regards the travelling, clubs should except this if involved at this stage of the competition.
Birmingham is realistically a central venue between Glasgow Gaels & St.Judes.
I think this is Glasgow Gaels first time in the competition, so I can't see them having any complaints.
St.Judes travelled for their games last year.
McCurtains have the home venue against McDermott's , not sure how that was decided after both teams travelled in the last round of the competition.
Looking at McDermotts over the last few years in this competition, I would say it is a long time since they had a home game.
Don't understand why the provincial gaa of Britain does not help out with costs of travelling for these clubs.
Plenty of money in the bank , I would say.
Surely the final will be played in Birmingham or Ruislip, two best pitches in the country.
Finals in the past have been played in Leeds, which is a nonsense of a set up, basically a schools rugby pitch with two tiny changing rooms , that can hardly fit the teams in.

mayoallstar (Mayo) - Posts: 256 - 01/11/2019 11:32:30    2246961

Link

Replying To Saltire_Scout:  "glasgow will win 10+ imo. judes beat eire og well but there was not much in the scores. eire og got hammered the last few years in the all britain. mcdermotts put a serious score up on them in 18 so would not read to much into the result.

the game in london will be interesting. sounds like there is a bit of rivalry between the teams looking at the paper this week. expect a close game but mcdermotts will win it out by 2-3. experience is massive at this stage. the only thing that might count against them is the pressure on them to win the competition especially now there foes connollys are gone."
"glasgow will win 10+ imo" scrape a win with 2 points to spare

"mcdermotts will win it out by 2-3" and got hammered by 13. that's losing by a serious score, not the 7 points they beat Eire og by in '18

talking out of your hole aren't you haha

Miami305 (Galway) - Posts: 147 - 04/11/2019 16:42:58    2247703

Link

Looking forward to the final this weekend, yesterday showed the gulf of class between teams in Britain and in Ireland at senior level but I think Glasgow and McCurtains could really put up a fight in an All Ireland JFC Quarter Final. They'd certainly be no pushovers.

Big win for McCurtains against McDermott's, understandable why people would have tipped it to be a close game after facing each other in 2017 but the Birmingham side are a lot weaker these days, Connolly's put up a similar score on them last year.

Glasgow might have struggled, but change of venue and conditions would have affected them, credit to Jude's, they have had some really encouraging performances at provincial stage of late. Great to see the game thriving on the south coast.

Glasgow for me will run out winners on a Sunday, probably with a few points to spare, they'll come in the fresher of the two teams and I think the hungrier of the two sides, Connolly's success of late will certainly drive them on. McCurtains are a well organised side so it won't be smooth sailing for the lads from Scotland but I don't think you can knock the 3-in-a-row provincial champions and not be going into the game as the team to beat. Who knows at this stage! Let's hope for a spectacle!

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 88 - 11/11/2019 09:19:51    2248988

Link