Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The other 2 you mention were better goalkeepers than McNamara in their prime. All three were in the twilight of their careers in 1998. Mcnamara thankfully didn't last too long after that season.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 496 - 07/08/2020 17:05:52    2286774

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "The other 2 you mention were better goalkeepers than McNamara in their prime. All three were in the twilight of their careers in 1998. Mcnamara thankfully didn't last too long after that season."
I was always thought Glen Comer was a better keeper to be honest and he was playing for Corofins intermediates at the time.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 469 - 09/08/2020 15:32:14    2286994

Link

I think I am correct in saying that Carraroes win guarantees them a prelim QF play off at least. Great result for them.
Unfortunately though , I think that anything other than a 1 point or 2 point win for St James against Milltown will leave them second and facing Corofin in the play off.
Not sure what happens if James beat Milltown by 3. Does it go on the head to head or scores for? I think head to heads are irrelevant if 3 teams tie and when one is eliminated by score difference ( as Milltown would be in this scenario) it does not revert to head to head to decide order of positions 1 and 2.
A really tight interesting group , but the irony is there is only 1 first prize here. Winner of group has a decent chance of making QF proper. The only real prize for finishing second is that you avoid the relegation process

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 10/08/2020 09:50:01    2287065

Link

Whatever about the ins and outs of that group, teams fearing relegation can breath a sigh of relief. The jimmies were Like a poor intermediate team yesterday. They now have to be favourites for the drop.

Stripsandbanners (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 10/08/2020 10:26:29    2287077

Link

Replying To Stripsandbanners:  "Whatever about the ins and outs of that group, teams fearing relegation can breath a sigh of relief. The jimmies were Like a poor intermediate team yesterday. They now have to be favourites for the drop."
Unfortunately, relegation is not clear cut at all. There is plenty of competition for the relegation slot. Unlike our Intermediate championship , which is highly competitive, our senior championship is very poor. We have the stand out team in the country winning it every year. Behind them we have 6 or 8 mediocre/good enough teams ( Salthill, Moycullen. Killanin, Mountbellew, Annaghdown, Tuam + maybe 1 or 2 others) , with the best of these teams playing a poor style. And beyond these teams there is a bunch of teams who would struggle to retain senior status in any other tier 1 county.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 10/08/2020 12:08:30    2287100

Link

Salthill at 10/1 with PPs for club championship probably not a bad bet for the championship. Hardly anyone going to beat Corofin in fairness, but of the rest, I think S/K have the best chance. M/M just not strong enough all round, Moycullen still too young and need Cooke back, Tuam too flaky and not enough threat up front - surprisingly Killanin ahead of them in the market. I feel only the seasiders have potentially the scoring power needed to take down Corofin.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 64 - 10/08/2020 12:14:55    2287102

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "Salthill at 10/1 with PPs for club championship probably not a bad bet for the championship. Hardly anyone going to beat Corofin in fairness, but of the rest, I think S/K have the best chance. M/M just not strong enough all round, Moycullen still too young and need Cooke back, Tuam too flaky and not enough threat up front - surprisingly Killanin ahead of them in the market. I feel only the seasiders have potentially the scoring power needed to take down Corofin."
Sk have a very strong forward unit but their defence is way behind corrofin and like all other teams they would struggle to contain the AI champs.
I feel moycullen are a better all round team but Cooke is a huge loss.
Corrofin unfortunately for all will walk this year more than ever they are just progressing way more than anyone else and it boils down to their club structure, just wish other clubs in Galway had a frank Morris that was able to dedicate and develop like corrofin. It would bring Galway on as a whole.
The only thing that will interest me this year will be the relegation final and inter championship

MB v oughterard or spiddeal or micheals

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 10/08/2020 18:21:23    2287157

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Sk have a very strong forward unit but their defence is way behind corrofin and like all other teams they would struggle to contain the AI champs.
I feel moycullen are a better all round team but Cooke is a huge loss.
Corrofin unfortunately for all will walk this year more than ever they are just progressing way more than anyone else and it boils down to their club structure, just wish other clubs in Galway had a frank Morris that was able to dedicate and develop like corrofin. It would bring Galway on as a whole.
The only thing that will interest me this year will be the relegation final and inter championship

MB v oughterard or spiddeal or micheals"
The only thing that can stop Corofin this year is COVID 19.

sticktight (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 12/08/2020 08:54:29    2287300

Link

Bóthar na Trá vs Bearna = Bóthar na Trá 5+
Naomh Mícheál vs An Spidéal = An Spideal 3+
Anach Cuain vs Maigh Cuilinn = Maigh Cuilinn 3+
Baile Mhuilinn vs Naomh Séamus = NS 1+
Uachtar Ard vs Muine Mheá = Muine Mheá 1+
Cathair Liostreáin vs Baile Chláir = BC 3+
Cill Aithnín vs Réalta Thuama = Comhscór
Mícheál Breathnach vs An Creagán Maigh Locha = An Creagán Maigh Locha 10+

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 747 - 13/08/2020 10:08:05    2287406

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Bóthar na Trá vs Bearna = Bóthar na Trá 5+
Naomh Mícheál vs An Spidéal = An Spideal 3+
Anach Cuain vs Maigh Cuilinn = Maigh Cuilinn 3+
Baile Mhuilinn vs Naomh Séamus = NS 1+
Uachtar Ard vs Muine Mheá = Muine Mheá 1+
Cathair Liostreáin vs Baile Chláir = BC 3+
Cill Aithnín vs Réalta Thuama = Comhscór
Mícheál Breathnach vs An Creagán Maigh Locha = An Creagán Maigh Locha 10+"
Salthill v Barna Draw
Michaels v Spiddal - spiddal
Annaghdown v Moycullen - Moycullen
Milltown v St James - James (Concannon back)
Oughterard v Monivea - Monivea
Caherlistrane v Claregalway - Caherlistrane
Killannin v Tuam - Tuam
MB v MM - MM

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 111 - 13/08/2020 10:31:54    2287410

Link

Salthill v Barna - Salthill
Michaels v Spiddal - Spiddal
Annaghdown v Moycullen - Moycullen
Milltown v St James - Milltown
Oughterard v Monivea - Monivea
Caherlistrane v Claregalway - Claregalway
Killannin v Tuam - Tuam
MB v MM - MM

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 13/08/2020 15:07:33    2287437

Link

Salthill v barna salthill
Michael's v Spiddal spiddal
Ann down v Moycullen Moycullen
Miltown v Jimmies miltown
Oughterard v Monivea Oughterard
Caherlistrande v claregalway cheherstrand
Kilannin v Tuam Draw
MB v MM MM

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 13/08/2020 21:40:46    2287474

Link

Nobody will get near Corofin, Salthill aren't close. They pulled away from St.Michaels in the last few minutes leaving a deceptive scoreline. Salthill is in the second tier of clubs. They came out of a relatively easy group last year so it's hard to gauge where they are at. They should beat Barna today but games between those two clubs are a poor standard and could hold a surprise.

There is no momentum for this championship which means teams are getting caught on the hop. I fancy Moycullen to do well and MM will build on beating Annaghdown.

OffensiveMark (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 14/08/2020 16:31:36    2287564

Link

Jaysus that was a poor display by salthill, think if the salthill lads spent less time getting their mullets in order and focused on their football they'd do something, embarrassing stuff.
Bringing on an old defender for another old defender when game was slipping was a poor decision from the line
They won't go far in the champo either will barna

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 14/08/2020 20:52:19    2287588

Link

Well done Barna

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 14/08/2020 21:53:29    2287597

Link

Salthill have been running on empty for a few years. Both Armstrongs were kept relatively quiet yesterday.

Tom Curran was the winning of the match. An absolutely immense presence at full forward. Barna's two wingbacks excellent in the second half too.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 15/08/2020 08:46:52    2287615

Link

Salthill looked a shambles yesterday. Barna came with a clearly defined game plan that the players clearly bought into and even with less gifted players it was enough to beat Salthill. Poor eve on the line for the much vaunted management team, Sean Conlon had them in his pocket. Salthills attacking play was not good enough, no shape or structure to it with too much individuality.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 15/08/2020 10:32:13    2287629

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Jaysus that was a poor display by salthill, think if the salthill lads spent less time getting their mullets in order and focused on their football they'd do something, embarrassing stuff.
Bringing on an old defender for another old defender when game was slipping was a poor decision from the line
They won't go far in the champo either will barna"
Great analysis there. It was the haircuts that cost them.
Barna are almost certain to be in the quarter-final. That's further than the last number of years and very good progress for them.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 15/08/2020 13:12:13    2287650

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Jaysus that was a poor display by salthill, think if the salthill lads spent less time getting their mullets in order and focused on their football they'd do something, embarrassing stuff.
They won't go far in the champo either will barna"
How far is far considering both will be in quarters and have great chance of making semis. As long as Corofin are avoided both will fancy their chances against any team

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 15/08/2020 13:53:41    2287656

Link

Barna and St.Michaels pulling surprise results. If the Barna Forwards had a better conversion rate. They could have won that by 5+. Those wides will be costly against other teams. Defensively they are very strong and other than Corofin, teams will struggles to break them down.

St.Michaels showed that the scoreline against Salthill was deceiving. Big match against Barna next, probably won't make it on account of score difference.

OffensiveMark (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 15/08/2020 19:49:09    2287686

Link