Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To crnm:  "RTÉ in contact with the county board with a view of showing the county final. I wonder will they turn it down like the Kerry county board. Hope RTÉ get to show it as I have been been having problems with most of the live streams to date."
Think TG4 want to show it but initial reaction from the county board is like the Kerry board and go down the streaming route. Like a few others have said I too was at the 2017 final so absolutely zero chance I will be paying for a most likely inconsistent stream.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 18/09/2020 11:34:41    2292858

Link

Word going round that a NC player has tested positive for Coronavirus.
Whole squad supposedly in for testing tomorrow.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 18/09/2020 20:23:55    2292949

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "How do you see the score ending up?"
Hi TheRock2121:. Was somewhat surprised at Naomh Conaill in semi, thought they didn't need to be as conservative and safe from the start. Can't see their management changing now for the final which is a pity as a lot of questions can be asked of Kilcar rearguard. If both teams clog her up, it will be low enough scoring maybe 11 or 12 pts will win it. A goal would be massive, N Conaill best equipped to get it with Mc Guinness inside a la 2016 Murphy v Mc Shane with Mark late to the party again.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 18/09/2020 21:19:23    2292960

Link

Kilcar quite weak at the back I would think. Brian O'Donnell out of action since the quarter final. Not sure if they have enough in the backline to hold NC out. Probably will have to go for a blanket defence type system. That said, kilcar's forwards are obviously immense and will be hard to stop from scoring.

Also, if the game is anything like the 2017 final, I would hope that it's not on TV, as that game was an embarrassment to football in this county. The worst game I have ever been at by a long way. Evem worse than Donegal v Dublin in 2011.

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 20/09/2020 12:22:42    2293161

Link

Replying To DL_Man:  "Kilcar quite weak at the back I would think. Brian O'Donnell out of action since the quarter final. Not sure if they have enough in the backline to hold NC out. Probably will have to go for a blanket defence type system. That said, kilcar's forwards are obviously immense and will be hard to stop from scoring.

Also, if the game is anything like the 2017 final, I would hope that it's not on TV, as that game was an embarrassment to football in this county. The worst game I have ever been at by a long way. Evem worse than Donegal v Dublin in 2011."
Hi DL_Man:. The 2011 game was bad alright but it had to be done, it was the game that won us the All Ireland the following year. They weren't ready to win it in 2011, it was a 4 year plan remember. Jim had to go down that route otherwise Dublin would have tanked us that day. 2 point defeat and Jim telling the players we are close to these boys, a big winter now and we are in business. Exactly as it turned out.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 20/09/2020 15:08:17    2293193

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi DL_Man:. The 2011 game was bad alright but it had to be done, it was the game that won us the All Ireland the following year. They weren't ready to win it in 2011, it was a 4 year plan remember. Jim had to go down that route otherwise Dublin would have tanked us that day. 2 point defeat and Jim telling the players we are close to these boys, a big winter now and we are in business. Exactly as it turned out."
I didn't mean to change the topic to Jim-era tactics, I was just using that game as a comparison to express how dire the 2017 Donegal final was! Don't worry, I defended Jim to the hilt after that game.

What I didn't defend was the two teams in 2017 because it's a lot easier sitting on the fence and hurling from the ditch ;)

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 20/09/2020 21:09:33    2293271

Link

Lot of rumours this morning that the county final is going to postponed.
I think the county board need to be more vocal and states whats happening. I'm not saying out the player who unfortunately has contracted it but say which club so everyone is aware.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 21/09/2020 13:32:00    2293388

Link

I heard rumours about a player within the kilcar club going around and I also heard whispers of a Naomh Conaill player. The Kilcar one seems to be true but the Glenties man may also have it. Obviously not going to name names.

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 21/09/2020 13:45:56    2293390

Link

County final will be more than likely be off ..Democrat Reporting that the only other date available is a week before Donegal v Tyrone league game. Things not looking great.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 21/09/2020 14:15:52    2293395

Link

Could it be played after Donegal are finished up for the year? I recall the same two teams playing a comórtas peile na Gaeltachta final months after it was scheduled in Ardara.

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 21/09/2020 14:38:17    2293400

Link

So it appears that the county board are going ahead with the county final, despite the fact that one of the Kilcar players has coronavirus! Absolutely incredible decision. After all reserve games being postponed on the off-chance that one of the players might have the virus, they've gone ahead with a game where we know for a fact one of the players has it!

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/the-donegal-sfc-final-will-go-ahead-this-sunday-despite-kilcars-positive-covid-19-case/

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 21/09/2020 18:28:57    2293443

Link

Surely all the Kilcar players will have to self isolate for two weeks????

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 21/09/2020 19:20:36    2293450

Link

No way should this match be played.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 21/09/2020 20:06:49    2293460

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "No way should this match be played."
If it goes ahead on Sunday after a player testing positive it is making a pure mockery of the guidelines, we will likely be at level 3 by then whatever difference that will make.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 21/09/2020 21:53:13    2293479

Link

Totally disagree playing the game. If it were a league game or maybe an earlier round maybe but not a final.
I would love if my club refused to play it if there is a confirmed case. Fingers crossed the player in question some how had a false positive.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 22/09/2020 08:52:20    2293505

Link

One positive from Kilcar and looks like one from Naomh Conaill also. No doubt that these were picked up during the county get together and testing. Could the two teams have not been left to get on with preparing for their county final. Do clubs ever get priority? If true then their panels cant train, get together or work now. No preparation at all in the week of the final. The county board then announce that the final is still going ahead as far as they are concerned. They have a lot to answer for.

fionmaccumhaill (Donegal) - Posts: 21 - 22/09/2020 10:36:39    2293524

Link

My opinion is that the game should go ahead. If the players had contracted any other type of illness in normal times and were unable to play they would simply miss the game. Strip away all the nonsense and this is the same thing. If the approach we are going to take is 1 case of virus = game off for 2 weeks then its as simple as this, the All Ireland Championship will not stand a hope of running on the timetable proposed.

If we want sport, we are going to have to handle low level cases associated with it.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 22/09/2020 11:07:04    2293530

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "My opinion is that the game should go ahead. If the players had contracted any other type of illness in normal times and were unable to play they would simply miss the game. Strip away all the nonsense and this is the same thing. If the approach we are going to take is 1 case of virus = game off for 2 weeks then its as simple as this, the All Ireland Championship will not stand a hope of running on the timetable proposed.

If we want sport, we are going to have to handle low level cases associated with it."
It hard to argue the points you've made there it's just the timing of it, this is the biggest game of the year for club footballers. Plus the precedent has been set already including my own club that if a suspected covid case was within the club all club activities stop including games and that was only for suspected case.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 22/09/2020 11:29:33    2293537

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "My opinion is that the game should go ahead. If the players had contracted any other type of illness in normal times and were unable to play they would simply miss the game. Strip away all the nonsense and this is the same thing. If the approach we are going to take is 1 case of virus = game off for 2 weeks then its as simple as this, the All Ireland Championship will not stand a hope of running on the timetable proposed.

If we want sport, we are going to have to handle low level cases associated with it."
Sorry but its not the same. This window was supposed to be so that clubs could play their championship before the resumption of county football. These players picked up the Corona virus during the testing of the county panel. This testing was convened before the championship final was played. Now that these players have tested positive, their clubs can't get together, train or in any way get ready for the biggest game in the club calendar. All of their team mates have had to be tested. They are off work. This is a pandemic not "any other type of illness" as you so glibly put it. These are not low level isolated cases. These are cases where the positive player has been in contact with large groups. Have you not learned anything since March?? But to finish your statement off with "If we want sport, we are going to have to handle low level cases associated with it" really takes the biscuit. Please explain what you mean by "low level cases"??

fionmaccumhaill (Donegal) - Posts: 21 - 22/09/2020 11:38:03    2293540

Link

Replying To fionmaccumhaill:  "Sorry but its not the same. This window was supposed to be so that clubs could play their championship before the resumption of county football. These players picked up the Corona virus during the testing of the county panel. This testing was convened before the championship final was played. Now that these players have tested positive, their clubs can't get together, train or in any way get ready for the biggest game in the club calendar. All of their team mates have had to be tested. They are off work. This is a pandemic not "any other type of illness" as you so glibly put it. These are not low level isolated cases. These are cases where the positive player has been in contact with large groups. Have you not learned anything since March?? But to finish your statement off with "If we want sport, we are going to have to handle low level cases associated with it" really takes the biscuit. Please explain what you mean by "low level cases"??"
I don't understand when you say "the players picked up the virus during the testing of the county panel".If the virus was detected when the county got them tested first day back they obviously had the virus before the county squad came back.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 22/09/2020 12:20:16    2293547

Link