Antrim Forum

Ulster Hurling league final

(Oldest Posts First)

Well done to Dunloy for an excellent comeback against Loughgiel yesterday. I thought we had thrown it away as we missed a penalty and shot a load of wides. I thought it was a great game for the neutral but overall and i think most of the Loughgiel support will agree that Dunloy were the better side. They held loughgiel to just two frees in the second half and their defence were brilliant. Yes Liam Watson was missing but it must be remembered that Dunloy havent trained since August.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 01/11/2010 10:50:32    806977

Link

Yes Dunloy were worthy winners yesterday. Loughgiel didn`t function at all, possibly too many just wanting to get the match over. Dunloy played the match like a local derby and we didn`t.

On a side note who assess`s the referee. Just didn`t know which way he was going to point yesterday. Poor for both teams and never let the game flow at all, out of his depth on this occasion in my opinion.

McCrackens (Antrim) - Posts: 4 - 01/11/2010 12:56:42    807070

Link

i thought we deserved to win. wasnt the best game in the world to be honest but its the result that counts.

to shoot 16 wides, miss a pen and still win is even more enjoyable. we should have won by more but still its a nice way to finish of what wasnt a great year.

well done lads

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 01/11/2010 13:12:31    807078

Link

Fair result,Loughgiel looked a bit hungover,but their are no easy matches against Dunloy,they could have won by more if they hadn't wasted so many chances.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 01/11/2010 15:44:46    807227

Link

McCrackens
thought the ref made alot of odd calls, and didnt let it flow as you said. he annoyed loughgiel more than Dunloy i thought, tho i wasnt overly fussed on his performance.

on another note it was decent of the turnstiles to drop the price from 8 to 5 quid when we arrived. the guy at the gate said it was because the other game was over. maybe they should do this more often and use common sense instead of charing the full wack when 2 games are on and people are only arriving for the seocnd game

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 01/11/2010 15:52:53    807234

Link

I'm amazed to hear Dunloy hit 16 wides and still won the game, Loughgiel must have been brought back down to earth yesterday.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 01/11/2010 17:43:00    807366

Link

Loughgiel could have serious problems going into February judging by this Ulster league final, i know and accept it was only an Ulster League Final and they may have suffered the effectos of a bit of a hangover, but the problems exposed have been the same issues all year.

On Sunday Loughgiel scored 10 points, in the County Final 1-9 in the semi final 0-14, they have developed a style of hurling that grinds a game down into a low scoring battle to combat the difficulties they face in their forward unit, however in all three games the other team had ample scoring opportunities and these will be punished by any team to come out of leinster

This is my honest analysis of what Loughgiel need to address to be competitive in February,

1. Half Forward Line - only Eddie McCloskey looks capable of winning his own ball, Scullion and Campbell have been consistently taken off and this has affected their performances
2. Scoring - already mentioned, but this is key, low scoring has been the feature, even Liam Watson hasn't fired, 0-2 friom play against Dunloy, Cushendall and Keady isn't a spectacular return by any stretch, yet still remains by far the more effective scoring forward loughgiel have
3. Goals - just don't look like scoring goals
4. High Fielding - a serious weakness in the loughgiel team, they combatted in the Antrim championship with fierce work rate, anyone who thinks the winners of Leinster won't match this workrate is kidding themselves
5. Recovery Pace - is a problem for them at the back, Cushendall tried to tease their defence out but didn't manage it,

DD Quinn is still a superb goalkeeper, defensively they are very agressive and good in the tackle

kautostar (Antrim) - Posts: 71 - 02/11/2010 10:08:57    807682

Link

have to also say that on sunday both keepers were outstanding. gareth brought off a pint blank safe early in the first half and then DD pulled off one of the best saves ive seen from a point blank drive from paddy richmond. 2 of the best keepers in the county in my opinion on their day.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 02/11/2010 10:53:06    807705

Link

kautostar........ I agree that Loughgiel need to address some aspects of their game,but they still managed to to win the league an championship.They didn't turn up for the Ulster league final for some reason,maybe to much hurling or to many celebrations.Despite the critical comments and obvious underlying bias against them they are a good young team with a lot of years ahead of them and hopefully much more success.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 02/11/2010 11:53:22    807757

Link