Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Footballer 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

If we played with 6 forwards you win the game in an open free flowing game all forwards did well but another scoring forward in there on the wing and I think u win that game. Butchered goal chances and can't at that level. Complete opposite team performance compared to the down game.

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 39 - 15/06/2021 16:30:09    2351190

Link

Replying To PowellJohn:  "If we played with 6 forwards you win the game in an open free flowing game all forwards did well but another scoring forward in there on the wing and I think u win that game. Butchered goal chances and can't at that level. Complete opposite team performance compared to the down game."
Not going to win any game conceding 3-22, no matter how many forwards you have.
There needs to be a balance between defence and attack.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 116 - 17/06/2021 23:45:38    2351772

Link

Replying To Wmeath2:  "Not going to win any game conceding 3-22, no matter how many forwards you have.
There needs to be a balance between defence and attack."
Westmeath took 25 scores. So did Cork. The balance is ok. Westmeath didn't convert goal chances and got caught ball watching for 2 of Cork's goals. That's nothing to do with balance; that about composure & concentration at both ends of the pitch. I'd rather continue with trying to play toe-to-toe and eventually we'll become more clinical. At least you're giving yourself a chance by opening up the game and attacking.

Lessons to be learned from it; but certainly one of them is not 'let's be more defensive'. It should be: Let's not lose concentration; let's trust that we'll convert chances; keep pressing forward and not retreat to our own half and set up siege.

We scored 17 points from play & 1 mark. We have excellent free takers and some fabulous athletes around the pitch. Improve our kicking game, play on the front foot and have a go. Our biggest issue to address is our inability to gain possession from kick outs around the center. Fix that and Westmeath actually have a group of players that can compete. Problem for me is that over the past numbers of years the emphasis has not been to try to compete but to try to contain and as a result we may have squandered the best years of quite a few on the panel.

The remainder of the year is a knockout championship. I suggest we continue with the approach taken in Cork. Apart from Dublin we should be capable of matching up with anyone in Leinster. Avoid the Dubs in the semi-final draw and some of this panel will have a chance to play in their 3rd provincial final. That's a realistic target; but please don't get there playing 'puke football'.

fizzygravy (USA) - Posts: 124 - 18/06/2021 11:18:47    2351818

Link

same team against kildare boidu is a bit lucky to hold on but team is as expected . game that will be close but if our scoring rate continues i think we can win

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1346 - 16/07/2021 13:10:15    2360390

Link

Is jack smith injured ? If so , a big loss to the team . I think we can nick this one if we get a good start.

Lakecounty94 (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 16/07/2021 13:55:14    2360412

Link

I reckon Sam McCartan may start instead of Boidu. He has really seems to be getting better and better every game. Should be a very tight game. I'd fear for us at midfield though. Ray really needs to have a big game for us!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 930 - 16/07/2021 16:36:56    2360460

Link

Good luck on the big day.

They're fit and a solid team, but not spectacular. Disappointed we did not take them.

I think you can.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 66 - 16/07/2021 16:57:57    2360464

Link

Kicked that away in the end

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 105 - 18/07/2021 16:01:02    2361088

Link

We really had the winning of that match. Even with the concession of those two goals we were the more dominant team. We limited Kildare to 5 scores in that second half but unfortunately for us two of them were goals. The decision making and shot selection of some players was very disappointing.

mintyfresh (Westmeath) - Posts: 74 - 18/07/2021 17:02:11    2361116

Link

Very proud of the team today. In the intense heat they left everything on the pitch. A couple of wrong shot selections and the concession of 2 goals was our downfall. Well done to Jack and the lads. On to 2022 now and get back to division 2

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1346 - 18/07/2021 18:53:13    2361248

Link

Well said Mick. Deserved at least extra time after working so hard in response to the softish goals. I wouldn't knock a lad taking a shot if he's in the best position. The wides did add up in the closing stages but we should really have rattled the net at least once.
Kildare not convincing if you ask me and the goals were the difference.
The usually brilliant Ger Egan was well held today, maybe he was carrying a knock as was the word about Connellan and Heslin.
Overall wouldn't have too many complaints on team selection etc and blooding the few young lads in the league particularly McCartan proved positive. Hopefully Martin, Holloway, and Loughlin will return and a couple more young lads will step up in 2022.
Roll on the club championships !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 809 - 18/07/2021 22:52:41    2361444

Link

Forgot to ask about Jamie Gonoud, surprised he wasnt involved at all, possibly injured ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 809 - 19/07/2021 11:55:42    2361596

Link

A very good year performance wise, six matches all against sides considered to be in top sixteen in country, performed really well in five of those, only blip was first half versus Down, disappointing that we only won one match out of six, very competitive in all six, strength in depth an obvious issue, Kilkenny subs scored 0-6 in Leinster hurling final, Cork subs 2-6 in relegation play off against us, the losses of Luke Loughlin, Kieran Martin and Brandon Kelly too much in forward division and Ray Connellan clearly injury hampered since Cork game. We need some of the under 20s to develop, looking at them last week versus Offaly a lot of them need winter of strength and conditioning but overall great credit to everyone involved

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 325 - 19/07/2021 12:50:36    2361642

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Forgot to ask about Jamie Gonoud, surprised he wasnt involved at all, possibly injured ?"
i was surprised jamie wasnt on today . i havent heard anything yet

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1346 - 19/07/2021 14:17:39    2361715

Link

Disappointing to lose the Kildare game. Thought we were the better team over the course of the match. U20's look to have a few talented players . Can anyone step up onto panel next year ?

Lakecounty94 (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 19/07/2021 14:37:33    2361722

Link

A very good year performance wise, six matches all against sides considered to be in top sixteen in country, performed really well in five of those, only blip was first half versus Down, disappointing that we only won one match out of six, very competitive in all six, strength in depth an obvious issue, Kilkenny subs scored 0-6 in Leinster hurling final, Cork subs 2-6 in relegation play off against us, the losses of Luke Loughlin, Kieran Martin and Brandon Kelly too much in forward division and Ray Connellan clearly injury hampered since Cork game. We need some of the under 20s to develop, looking at them last week versus Offaly a lot of them need winter of strength and conditioning but overall great credit to everyone involved

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 325 - 19/07/2021 14:51:29    2361730

Link

Such an odd year as on paper as we 'only' beat Laois but had a few marginal things went our way it would have a completely different complexion. There was maybe 5-7 minute spell on Sunday with the 2 goals which was poor enough but other teams would have folded at that point. You'd have to admire how they kept the head and nearly got Kildare at the end. I wouldn't be too harsh on all the late wides - Kildare would've soaked up anything closer in so the pot shots were probably the best chance. A pity there's no back door.

Morty (Westmeath) - Posts: 208 - 20/07/2021 13:29:17    2362120

Link