Westmeath Forum

Westmeath SHC 2021.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Knockouts are taking shape after the weekends action. You've got to hand it to Clonkill, they keep coming back to the well year after year, I must admit I thought they'd fade this year but when the chips are down they always find a way, straight to the final for them. Castletown on the other hand keep proving themselves to be the biggest bottlers around, on paper they should be winning championships but as was illustrated on Saturday they just don't have the bit of steel that it takes. Raharney are a very useful team, excellent from midfield up but backs are poor which is why they let the Gaels back into the game yesterday, despite this they were able to pull away with big leads twice to win rather comfortably but they can be got at. The Gaels again showed their battling qualities to cause them bother by times but ultimately they lack any depth of quality around the field which told in the end. Castletown and Raharney for the semi and I think Raharney for the final. Crookedwood a cert for relegation. Castlepollards championship effectively over now they're safe. It could be pointed out that the Gaels and Castlepollard are still in it mathematically and could get through but I'll compare that likelihood to this… if I were to go back to work for another 35 years and save every cent of the wage I'd be a millionaire, mathematically possible but it just ain't gonna happen

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 125 - 13/09/2021 11:41:20    2380217

Link

Castletown v the gaels is now knockout. Same old failings from the gaels fading in final quarter. Castletown have lost and drew one but if the slim chance the gaels beat them that would leave them out of the championship?

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 218 - 13/09/2021 12:05:11    2380228

Link

As a football man, what way does the hurling knockout stages work in the hurling?

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 261 - 13/09/2021 15:30:51    2380305

Link

Replying To martyW:  "As a football man, what way does the hurling knockout stages work in the hurling?"
Generally Castletown and Raharney play off to see who's second best and then Clonkill beats the winner in the final.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 125 - 13/09/2021 17:36:06    2380350

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Generally Castletown and Raharney play off to see who's second best and then Clonkill beats the winner in the final."
Lol indeed but alas that is a fair and accurate summary. Niall Mitchell and Jordan Smyth yet to reach full fitness and I hear Eoin Price is back training. Unless Raharney can get sorted it looks like this one is done and dusted.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 809 - 13/09/2021 18:23:58    2380366

Link

Replying To martyW:  "As a football man, what way does the hurling knockout stages work in the hurling?"
This year only one semi final. Group of 6. Top team makes the final. 2v3 the only semi final.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 218 - 13/09/2021 19:33:28    2380383

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Lol indeed but alas that is a fair and accurate summary. Niall Mitchell and Jordan Smyth yet to reach full fitness and I hear Eoin Price is back training. Unless Raharney can get sorted it looks like this one is done and dusted."
Lads, if ye think castletown v clonkill match will bear any resemblance if they meet in a semi or final, then ye havent followed club hurling long enough. History will show that by and large the loosing teams whenever they top 3 meet always seem to learn more from their earlier loss and more often than not overturn earlier round results in the knockout stages. Raharney are motoring well and gaining momentum with a big score knocked up against a gaels side that top 3 always find sticky to beat. Winners clonkill and raharney straight into final could be a disadvantage as will be sitting 2 weeks longer without a competitive game and in fact will not have played a single knock out game on way to a county final. Reckon winners of the semi will take it this year.

Jackt (Westmeath) - Posts: 11 - 13/09/2021 20:31:42    2380408

Link

Replying To Jackt:  "Lads, if ye think castletown v clonkill match will bear any resemblance if they meet in a semi or final, then ye havent followed club hurling long enough. History will show that by and large the loosing teams whenever they top 3 meet always seem to learn more from their earlier loss and more often than not overturn earlier round results in the knockout stages. Raharney are motoring well and gaining momentum with a big score knocked up against a gaels side that top 3 always find sticky to beat. Winners clonkill and raharney straight into final could be a disadvantage as will be sitting 2 weeks longer without a competitive game and in fact will not have played a single knock out game on way to a county final. Reckon winners of the semi will take it this year."
Raharney v clonkill final.
Castletown no defence to clonkill or raharnrys forwards.
Will be good final between raharney and clonkill.

Onionbagger (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 18/09/2021 20:39:21    2381517

Link