UK Forum

The Future Of London GAA After Covid-19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To opinion1986:  "From speaking to a good number of players and team managers most accept this isn't a normal year and because of that they accept the preparation won't be ideal in any event. most teams are happy that they have trained hard enough and with a 4 week interruption, would be prepared to go back and play out a semi final and final. lads won't be out of shape in 4 weeks as they will be ticking over doing something and every club will be in the same boat.

if you really think there is a manager or player in London at this moment in time who wants 6 weeks pre-season in January/feb with a number of challenge matches in between, I have yet to meet them. not to mention the difficulty of getting an evenly matched challenge match in then anyway.

what they are asking the board to do is to provisionally arrange the postponed matches for December. and if lockdown is extended then so be it and you're in to January/feb for the Plan B.

its the same for all other grass roots kids and adult competitions all back on Sat 5th December and ( i have a young boy playing soccer and he has a match on 5th Dec confirmed as it stands).

the vast majority of PLAYERS do NOT want 4-6 weeks in January and February doing another pre-season for the sake of one, max 2 games (and that's not down playing the importance of the game). the appetite on this occasion for it isn't there.

It goes back to that issue again of the games to training balance that cripples the GAA club player. not to mention the cost of hiring floodlit pitches on clubs."
This is spot on. It's a unique year and everyone is in the same boat, if they only get one weeks collective training early December and straight into the games then so be it. They have all put in the effort up until now and can use the 4 week lockdown to keep ticking over and train on their own / in pairs.

This is a far better option then asking lads to come back training in January to play 1 max 2 games in Feb. I can't see any of the clubs / players involved wanting to do that.

Offtheball10 (Meath) - Posts: 6 - 06/11/2020 16:24:19    2305626

Link

Replying To opinion1986:  "From speaking to a good number of players and team managers most accept this isn't a normal year and because of that they accept the preparation won't be ideal in any event. most teams are happy that they have trained hard enough and with a 4 week interruption, would be prepared to go back and play out a semi final and final. lads won't be out of shape in 4 weeks as they will be ticking over doing something and every club will be in the same boat.

if you really think there is a manager or player in London at this moment in time who wants 6 weeks pre-season in January/feb with a number of challenge matches in between, I have yet to meet them. not to mention the difficulty of getting an evenly matched challenge match in then anyway.

what they are asking the board to do is to provisionally arrange the postponed matches for December. and if lockdown is extended then so be it and you're in to January/feb for the Plan B.

its the same for all other grass roots kids and adult competitions all back on Sat 5th December and ( i have a young boy playing soccer and he has a match on 5th Dec confirmed as it stands).

the vast majority of PLAYERS do NOT want 4-6 weeks in January and February doing another pre-season for the sake of one, max 2 games (and that's not down playing the importance of the game). the appetite on this occasion for it isn't there.

It goes back to that issue again of the games to training balance that cripples the GAA club player. not to mention the cost of hiring floodlit pitches on clubs."
It is understandable if your club are going to lose players in the new year why you want to get the games played before Christmas. But do you really speak for all the clubs and players in London? Maybe you have been watching abit to much CNN over the last few days!

Any serious club wouldn't want to go into the tail end of a championship without being properly prepared. I've been retired a good few years, but I personally and most of my teammates would have trained all year round to win a championship, has the appetite changed that much?

But saying all that, it could very well be a mute point, yesterday just one day in the government said they would not rule out an extension of lockdown, the current numbers are shocking, who knows maybe the county board are more insightful them we give them credit for.

Anyway, all the best of luck with the championship (whenever it is played).

thejockey (UK) - Posts: 117 - 06/11/2020 17:09:20    2305639

Link

St Kiernan's have recently posted a message which included:
"Following Friday nights management meeting of the London County Board all outstanding competitions will now be deferred to 2021 with further clarification on the fixtures given in January"

Londonish (UK) - Posts: 13 - 23/11/2020 22:14:36    2314369

Link

I assume the matches aren't going ahead in 2020 at this stage.

Was there any announcement or statement from London GAA about the postponed championship or when they will likely be played? And was there any update on the Joes objection and if Parnells have replaced them in the intermediate semi finals?

I can't see anything on the official London media outlets in terms of announcements. I know the London GAA social media isn't good with stuff like this, but surely there should be an update like all other counties media accounts?

opinion1986 (Cork) - Posts: 10 - 02/12/2020 11:14:26    2317612

Link

Replying To opinion1986:  "I assume the matches aren't going ahead in 2020 at this stage.

Was there any announcement or statement from London GAA about the postponed championship or when they will likely be played? And was there any update on the Joes objection and if Parnells have replaced them in the intermediate semi finals?

I can't see anything on the official London media outlets in terms of announcements. I know the London GAA social media isn't good with stuff like this, but surely there should be an update like all other counties media accounts?"
I didn't see an official announcement but the championships will not be completed until February/March. Clubs were contacted and asked for their position on playing it off over the next two weekends. At senior Fulham were the only club who didn't want to play it this month. At lower levels I believe all clubs wanted to hold off for a few months. Also St Joes were kicked out and Parnells are in to the semi finals.

LondainEire (UK) - Posts: 9 - 02/12/2020 11:55:12    2317621

Link

Who's cahir healy after transferring to lads????

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 337 - 10/01/2021 12:38:50    2326867

Link

Replying To edshamrocks:  "Who's cahir healy after transferring to lads????"
St Brendans, surprised one of bigger clubs didn't get hold of him but both county footballers and hurlers will be looking him.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 528 - 11/01/2021 23:49:55    2327062

Link

Replying To Yourjoking:  "St Brendans, surprised one of bigger clubs didn't get hold of him but both county footballers and hurlers will be looking him."
Cheers your joking I no ya surprised at him going there be interesting to see if London compete at all this year with this covid going on...

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 337 - 12/01/2021 21:04:12    2327181

Link

see we had our AGM yesterday, doesn't look like any thing much will be changing. Mort Reidy a good addition, Kiernans have been very progressive as a club, getting their new grounds etc. Same PRO, so am guessing issues with updated league tables etc will persist.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2002 - 01/02/2021 12:18:42    2329973

Link

Any ideas about when UK GAA will be up and running? Seems like Ireland will be behind us in return to play but surely we'll start to get training and games underway before then?

macruiskeen (UK) - Posts: 36 - 11/02/2021 13:59:18    2331043

Link

All depends on when the UK government will allow sport to start again. Having already been granted "Return to Play" as they phrase it, there should be nothing preventing games and training starting once the government all all sport back.

WideBall1 (UK) - Posts: 98 - 11/02/2021 15:35:39    2331063

Link

Replying To WideBall1:  "All depends on when the UK government will allow sport to start again. Having already been granted "Return to Play" as they phrase it, there should be nothing preventing games and training starting once the government all all sport back."
Youth sport is down to start from 8 March while some adult sport may get the go ahead at the end of March. I think the county board and clubs will regret not playing it off in December when there was a window available. The county board should really draw a line under 2020 despite their best efforts as it's possible we might not get the go ahead until May. Would there be any point playing it off that late?

LondainEire (UK) - Posts: 9 - 22/02/2021 09:20:22    2332392

Link

Replying To LondainEire:  "Youth sport is down to start from 8 March while some adult sport may get the go ahead at the end of March. I think the county board and clubs will regret not playing it off in December when there was a window available. The county board should really draw a line under 2020 despite their best efforts as it's possible we might not get the go ahead until May. Would there be any point playing it off that late?"
Agree that not playing in December was a lost opportunity, couldn't understand why there wasn't a contingency in place by the board.

Playing the championship as a pre cursor to the 2021 season might not have the same feel, but it would be a disservice to the players and clubs who put in the effort in 2020 to not play off the remaining games - I don't understand why they wouldn't be played. There's about 15 championships football and hurling still to be played off in Ireland too so should create a good buzz for the return of matches in the coming weeks.

opinion1986 (Cork) - Posts: 10 - 23/02/2021 14:45:47    2332539

Link

Have you lads been under a rock for the last two months???

At one point it was estimated 1 in 3 people in London had Covid and you still think we should have ran off the championship?

It has been proven absolutely the right call to postpone in December even if the final outcome is that the championship never gets finished, player (and public) welfare comes first.

thejockey (UK) - Posts: 117 - 23/02/2021 21:20:23    2332574

Link

Replying To thejockey:  "Have you lads been under a rock for the last two months???

At one point it was estimated 1 in 3 people in London had Covid and you still think we should have ran off the championship?

It has been proven absolutely the right call to postpone in December even if the final outcome is that the championship never gets finished, player (and public) welfare comes first."
Here here the Jockey, some people are mad. We only came out of the November lockdown at start of December, you would have to give lads a weeks training to get ready for a game (and lets be honest most would only be 50-75% fit). With the amount of games left you would have had finals the weekend of 19/20th and guess what London was in tier 4 on the night of the 19th! Now I would have been fuming lugging around the boggy pitches in December only for the county final called off the night before. County board made the right decision and made it early which was great to see.

Anchorman_6 (Cavan) - Posts: 27 - 24/02/2021 09:18:23    2332599

Link

Replying To opinion1986:  "Agree that not playing in December was a lost opportunity, couldn't understand why there wasn't a contingency in place by the board.

Playing the championship as a pre cursor to the 2021 season might not have the same feel, but it would be a disservice to the players and clubs who put in the effort in 2020 to not play off the remaining games - I don't understand why they wouldn't be played. There's about 15 championships football and hurling still to be played off in Ireland too so should create a good buzz for the return of matches in the coming weeks."
Only a few clubs wanted to play in December, a lot of clubs probably struggling for numbers especially at Inter/junior were playing numbers seems to have nosedived. Hopefully the board get it played off in April and then start the new season in June as you're right, having it right before the new season will dilute it further.

whoareya (Donegal) - Posts: 50 - 24/02/2021 09:25:48    2332600

Link

Replying To Anchorman_6:  "Here here the Jockey, some people are mad. We only came out of the November lockdown at start of December, you would have to give lads a weeks training to get ready for a game (and lets be honest most would only be 50-75% fit). With the amount of games left you would have had finals the weekend of 19/20th and guess what London was in tier 4 on the night of the 19th! Now I would have been fuming lugging around the boggy pitches in December only for the county final called off the night before. County board made the right decision and made it early which was great to see."
Agreed the benefit of hindsight is we can see that making the call to stop playing in 2020 was the right call. pushing to play in December just because there was a window to do so would not have resulted in anyone actually winning.
Players would not have enjoyed it slogging it in the mud and freezing cold, the critics having a field day slating the CB and complying with the covid rules we are likley to have had games called off due to positive test results.

When we are given a green light, I think give everyone 6 weeks training, Then let the clubs still with games to play from 2020 play them and those that do not have games play a mini competition amongst them. Everyone will then be on a level par of preparation going in to start a new league and champ season. Dont play the other cup competitions.

2022 season can be planned far in advance knowing that vaccines are rolled out.

i do not see any reason why a club could not buy in to this. Thoughts?

leon (UK) - Posts: 158 - 28/02/2021 14:10:07    2333075

Link