Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Hard luck to the boys today , great effort , just came up short. One very disappointing thing today was our kickouts and what looked to be a lack of strategy and plan on this - dublin got at least 5 pts from our kickouts , Rory's short ones were very slow , often rolling on the ground , a defender wants fast ball kicked so he can run onto it and take it chest high, most kickouts were just wellied out into the middle , often over kicked , however our hb and hf foward lines and midfielders offered no runs or target to hit , even basic club set up has midfielders crossing over , kickouts to Wing back positions etc - would have felt a lot of time would have been spent on this in Portugal

FrankAnnyalla (Monaghan) - Posts: 331 - 12/04/2015 21:16:07    1713457

Link

The more air you blow into a balloon the louder the pop. AMBUSH IN BREIFNE 2015

sceptical (Cavan) - Posts: 542 - 12/04/2015 21:30:37    1713475

Link

I think that ambush happened in january sceptical yous will be like a hayshed in a hurricane come may 24 but sure yis had a good victory over new york i think should give a good shot in the arm .good morale victory after meath banjoyed yis ???..

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 762 - 12/04/2015 21:48:24    1713495

Link

Monaghan play well we beat Cavan simple as sceptical.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 12/04/2015 21:56:41    1713503

Link

Ye seriously its a real banana skin for us

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 762 - 12/04/2015 21:56:56    1713504

Link

Conor McManus pure class would get into any team in Ireland , my favourite player outside of my own county .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 13/04/2015 08:39:42    1713517

Link

A major improvement in performance yesterday following very poor show in Clones the Sunday before against the same opposition. Commented to Dad coming out of the game yesterday that the Dubs are not as good as they are made out to be when to take them down the home straight in a tight game. They are the type of team when things are going well they will destroy you but when things are tight and tough they can go missing. Really thought with ten minutes remaining that we are going to do however we have to be very satisfied with our lot for the league campaign.
By all account the training camp in Portugal was tough going with training 3 times a day with plenty of work done on tactics and systems of play however lads showed no ill effects of it yesterday. Kieran Hughes was exceptional yesterday really took game to the Dublin midfield in the second half with both starting Dublin midfielders being replaced. Conor McManus showed again yesterday that he is the best in the business when he gets a quality supply. Dick Clerkin had a stormer when introduced and brought some size, bite, steel and energy. All in all quite happy leaving Croker yesterday only niggling feeling is we failed to beat a major team at headquarters however I firmly believe that we can take a big scalp this year. Division 1 football has now left us with no fears or hang ups about our ability and we can now go toe to toe with anyone.
Cavan has the potential to be a banana skin however cool heads and discipline should see us over the line following a titanic battle. Great job the game is in the middle of the day and we wont have to do our warm up under the lights and maybe this time we will get warm up completed.

pavillion (Monaghan) - Posts: 21 - 13/04/2015 09:05:23    1713524

Link

definite banana skin but hardly an ambush as Cavan over past few years with their performances have served fair warning on us.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1509 - 13/04/2015 09:09:17    1713528

Link

K hughes and conor playing well at the moment which is good and when in this form there both nearly unplayable

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 762 - 13/04/2015 09:55:21    1713553

Link

As a team Monaghan played a lot better yesterday than the previous Sunday.. Mostly runners were tracked, the main culprits for not doing this was K, Hughes, D, Hughes and Owen Duffy. Rory really needs to improve his kickouts, firstly they were too slow and by the time he had the ball sitting on the tee, all the Monaghan men were covered. When kicking long to his left he overkicked the ball several times so that the Dublin Player standing behind the Monaghan player won the ball each time. When he was kicking to his right he was hanging it in the air for K.Hughes to run into it which worked sometimes but we needed someone on the ground to pick up the loose balls and this only happened when we had Malone and Jinxy on the field. There was some great points scored today by Monaghan. Neil McAdam's point was pure class, as was Rory's Mega 65, along with Dick, K, Hughes and Manzi there was an exhibition of score talking. Regarding the defending it was brilliant at times and the pick of the defenders was Ryan Wylie, he is developing into one of the best defenders in the country. We need to temper the performance with the fact that Rory O'Carroll and Bernard Brogan didn't start for Dublin and they were their best players last week, but then we have Colin Walshe and Gavin Doogan to come back into the team and I think we can improve on the team that started yesterday. Finally, I hope the Karl is not injured or concussed after his brave, brave, brave attempt at winning the ball in the second half, it showed a tremendous courage to go for that ball.

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 13/04/2015 13:24:02    1713708

Link

Monaghan lost 16 of their own kick-outs yesterday, 12 of them long kick-outs. That is something that needs to be worked on ahead of the Cavan game as it's an area that Cavan are strong. However given the team was changed without D.Wylie and Malone starting it was great to see that Monaghan performed a lot better. It's only a moral victory and in the end those count for little. It will only serve a purpose if we beat Cavan in the short term. People talk about Cavan being a banana skin but this Monaghan team know it's a game that will be hard fought and where the small margins will matter. They'll be ready for it. Cavan will play a running game, with players supporting with runs of the ball carriers shoulder. They won't go long and to be honest that would suit our full back line if they did. It will take huge discipline in tracking runners and in tackling to limit Cavan. Monaghan can take confidence from their league campaign. Three years ago so Monaghan tumble meekly out of the championship after a disastrous league. It's no guarantee you do well but morale should be good.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 114 - 13/04/2015 14:22:52    1713739

Link

Great game yesterday. Serious improvement on previous week.
I felt you panicked a little towards the 50 min mark and backed off them too much but re grouped again.
Have to say, well done !! Serious effort and you could have nicked it.
I was worried about the breffni game, but after yesterday I'm really really worried !!!!
Hope we step it up for it like you did yesterday and make it into a proper championship game and perhaps cause an upset !!!

StirringIt (Cavan) - Posts: 374 - 13/04/2015 16:31:48    1713811

Link

Any word on c mcguinnes .e lennon or g doogan coming back to fitness

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 762 - 13/04/2015 21:49:56    1713933

Link

Thats the performance i was looking for last sunday in Clones,I asked the question were this team was going after another heavy defeat and they answered all the questions for me in Croke Park.

Could of won, took the wrong options at times,I dont understand why we cant take a quick short free,instead of waiting on Rory to come up the field and hit one on his wrong side?????????

Big players coming back at the right time is a serious boost to an already strong team,it will make training down in Cloghan even more interesting.

Well done on great league,get the heads right for the noisy neighbours in 5 weeks time..........Cant wait.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 16/04/2015 13:53:09    1714796

Link