Monaghan Forum

Newcomers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I have to agree about Eamonn Ward. Delighted for him, hopefully he can break into the Donegal league panel.

It begs the question, are GAA players retiring too early?? Are external factors (work, family, etc), playing more of a role than the physical demands? If a lad can break into one of the top squads in the country at 33 it goes to show that a players in their 30's is far from over the hill, which seems to be a common thought in GAA circles.

One wonders if a professional element was brought into the game would we see players lasting well into their late 30's.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 05/01/2015 11:35:35    1680548

Link

Good to see Dessie Ward playing for DCU against Longford at the weekend. Even scoring a point from corner back. He could be another option to try out during the NFL?

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 114 - 05/01/2015 14:41:34    1680647

Link

There is a very interesting article by Joe Brolly in The Irish Mail yesterday entitled "What do I think of that Kieran Donaghy" It is typical Brolly but there is an awful lot of truth in in with regard to what is happening to county players and indeed club players. If someone can put up a link to it here it is well worth a read

decco (Monaghan) - Posts: 43 - 05/01/2015 14:49:36    1680649

Link

is there any good young goalkeepers that could be called in and play 2nd fiddle to beggan at least that way they could get experience and if ever was needed as backup??

Gooch22 (Monaghan) - Posts: 46 - 06/01/2015 14:39:41    1680923

Link

Hoping to get to the Cavan and Down games in the McKenna cup to get a look at a few of the newer faces. Hard to know if any new faces will break into the team. Feel that we are relatively strong in the full back and half back line. We need a quality midfielder in the guise of Eoin Lennon. Great that he's back again this year. If he had have played Ulster final there's no way Neil Gallagher would have got the amount of ball he did as Lennon always did well on him. But we need to find a replacement. Neil McAdam's best position is centre back in my opinion and Darren Hughes is an option for one midfielder. Think we need Kieran Hughes in at full forward as he takes watching and when on form can cause damage. One of the main faults I had with us last year was that we relied too much on Mansy. He gets a lot of close attention and still does well, but we need to be gettin more scores from our half-forward line and midfield and even our half-back line. We will be up against it in the league as we have four away games and only three at home. Every game will be tough but we should be well in with a shout if we can get everything tightened up. It would be great to see us build on last years win over Tyrone and put one over on them again. Donegal are rebuilding and it looks like a few of their lads may not be there again this year, so we should be looking to beat them. Monaghan beat Mayo the last time we were in Division 1 in Inniskeen, Tommy was flyin that day...hopefully we can do it again. All in all a lot to look forward to, but Cavan will be waitin in the long grass for us in Breffni. It would be great going into that game with no big injuries and having stayed in Division 1.

T1000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 06/01/2015 15:43:59    1680961

Link

Agree T1000,i would take stay up on score difference and going to breffni park on the 24th of May with a fully fit team and winning.......to lose there would be a disaster on par with the 2008 defeat to Fermanagh.

Hopefully a few new forwards make the breakthrough if so it could be a great season.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 08/01/2015 19:56:07    1681598

Link

I thought Enda Duffy done well today after a nervous start. His kickouts were better in 2nd half but we still weren't winning primary possession from kickouts to midfield and we stopped winning breaks. Enda made 2 top class saves and 2 great punch balls. He will only get better now he will get training with the goalkeeping coach. I was talking to someone during the week and he pointed out that Monaghan have a lack of quality keepers in the county. Gerard mc Caffrey is retired from county and mark keogh is in Australia and apart from Enda Duffy can anyone name a quality keeper. This is something that has to be worked on at juvenile level up and we have top keeper coaches in Enda Brennan and Liam swift so there should be something done to get these men involved, maybe along with past keepers like Glenn Murphy. Others to shine today were Tomas Duffy in first half along with Dermot Malone and paddy kearns showed up well at times.daniel mc Kenna I thought moved well in forward line but poor ball going in. Big game v Cavan on Wednesday but it's first round of league that's important

Chico (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 11/01/2015 19:53:41    1682329

Link

Duffy's kickout were awful. he can kick 45 metres max. He saved three certain goals. But the kickouts put monaghan under awful pressure. Connolly was excellent in the first with malone. The tide turned when Drew Wylie was withdrawn. One player in Particular who has been on the panel under Seamus McEnaney, Eammon and now Malachy has never played a minute of championship football simply it time to let him go. There is enough decent young half backs that deserve a place on the panel ahead of him.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1853 - 11/01/2015 20:29:16    1682355

Link

With ref to the GK Coaches, Enda Brennan is with the Monaghan
seniors & Liam Swift is with Fermanagh Seniors from what I hear, Rory will be welcomed back just before the league but Duffy can only learn from today and no doubt with the coaching he gets can only be a plus if Rory gets injured etc....

topsecret1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 11/01/2015 20:35:56    1682358

Link

First of all sorry I said Thomas Duffy, i meant Connolly, Enda Duffy is coming from a junior club no disrespect to junior football but it is a Massive step and if he works slong with his coach ends Brennan who I know well coming from same club he will be a great addition going forward. We still need to get a midfielder along with Darren Hughes and a couple of scouring forwards. Not easy but hope Daniel and Benny will step up

Chico (Monaghan) - Posts: 19 - 11/01/2015 20:58:45    1682366

Link

Shot stopping comes from goalkeeping talent, it's probably not something that can be easily coached, I'd say you either have it or you don't. Kick out technique and strategy on the other hand can. Well done Enda Duffy. Kept us in the game today.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 11/01/2015 21:02:35    1682367

Link

Who is the player you are talking about Shaggy

star10 (Monaghan) - Posts: 31 - 12/01/2015 16:46:25    1682615

Link

who is u21 goalkeepers would they not be good enough to compete with rory.

monaghanman99 (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 12/01/2015 17:24:19    1682625

Link

We might struggle at midfield yes, but has Hyland not managed them buys the whole way through? Keating and Givney. Keating was a major player in 2013 for Cavan he acted as a perfect foil for Dunne.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1853 - 12/01/2015 20:07:45    1682666

Link

Was at a match in the 3g pitch just behind Breffeni , as a result it was called off into the second half, will tomorrow's be called off ?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 13/01/2015 21:32:51    1683013

Link