Monaghan Forum

Monaghan v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can only echo what everyone else has said...guts, pride in the jersey, and absolute determination that for once, we weren't going to be denied on the big stage. Superb performance to drag ourselves back into the game, when we could have dropped our heads. Thought Jinxys introduction made a huge difference. For a player with a lot of miles in his legs, he's had a great year, and really played well last night.
Whatever happens next Saturday, we can hold our heads high after last night. Our performance wasn't perfect, far from it, but for sheer guts, it couldn't be faulted. Just so proud of the players. Get down the road next week, and cheer those players on and off the pitch, they deserve all the support we can give them no matter what happens.

On a lighter note, I thought O'Rourke at times looked like the captain of some north sea trawler, peering through the wind and rain, battling the elements...glad he managed to steer our ship home!

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 367 - 03/08/2014 14:57:59    1630597

Link

A crazy game in terrible conditions. Credit due to both teams. Coming back from those 2 goals showed huge resolve. I thought the 2nd Kildare goal was a little fortuitous as one of our defenders seemed to be doing the right thing in palming the ball down to a colleague. E. Bolton & the weather conspired unfortunately intervened.

Good to see youngsters like Conor Boyle and Tomas Kerr starting and getting invaluable game time. Having Gavin Doogan, Stephen Gollogly - and later Karl O' Connell, Kieran Duffy, Ryan Wylie, Padraig Donaghy and Jack Mc Carron coming on gave us fresh legs and impetus.

Kildare missed a few easy frees but I feel we deserved to win due to the team's character and initiative. Mistakes abounded largely due the weather although some were self inflicted. Some massive individual performances but overall a huge effort from all involved. Well done to squad and management.

drumlingael (Monaghan) - Posts: 40 - 03/08/2014 15:53:01    1630652

Link

Will Darren and Kieran Hughes ever learn you can on take d ball to d tackle everyone.if these lads do this against dublin we will b crusefided with goals.

geardlines (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 03/08/2014 17:18:47    1630715

Link

A real gutsy win. With 10 minutes to go I thought you were dead on your feet. However monaghan showed real guts and determination to close that game out. Super stuff roll on the dubs

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 03/08/2014 17:35:14    1630732

Link

Good point Drumlin Gael. When you look at the quality players we brought in, you'd have to say we've a strong squad. Know what you mean Geardlines but the 2 brothers were vital yesterday. They always attack with the ball which gives us options and scoring chances. The downside is they sometimes get caught in possession as u say.

RightFull (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 03/08/2014 17:53:10    1630766

Link

geardlines
County: Monaghan

1630715 Will Darren and Kieran Hughes ever learn you can on take d ball to d tackle everyone.if these lads do this against dublin we will b crusefided with goals

Jaaz - you are a hard one to please. Sure would you have been happier if your completely fictitious claim that the game would be called off had been a reality?

#haveabitofperspective

Knoxboyo (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 03/08/2014 20:26:08    1630936

Link

A bit harsh Geraldines on the Hughes bros. Yes,they do give up possession at times which can be frustrating but I admire the way they never hide. They always make themselves available and try to make things happen.
Great result Sat night. CMG stepped up the mark with his 1-3 from play, his best performance in a Monaghan jersey and good to have a player who can score off both feet.
It could have went either way but we dug deep. Japs frees were crucial. If Kildare had have had a left footed free taker they probably would have won.
Many memorable moments:
Vinnys wonder goal.
Jacks wonder point.
Drews wonder point !
The blocks from the Hughes brothers.
Great spirit and attitude from the whole team.
We got absolutely drenched in the lower Cusack but it was worth it :)
Bring on the Dubs.....anything is possible !

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 97 - 04/08/2014 10:07:29    1631035

Link

Well done to Monaghan on your win, I have to say even though we lost I am not in anyway downhearted, it was a terrific game and i thought the way we fought our way into the lead in the last minutes was fantatsic. Monaghans experience and refusal to throw in the towel got you over the line, Best of luck against the Dubs, you have a fighting chance if you believe you can do it.

NorthKildare (Kildare) - Posts: 160 - 04/08/2014 10:08:18    1631037

Link

@northkildare that's a nice comment and sums up the true spirit of a gael.

blueblood (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 04/08/2014 10:25:54    1631046

Link

Will Kieran Hughes get suspended?

geardlines (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 04/08/2014 10:30:53    1631047

Link

Hope K Hughes plays..we need all on board for Dubs. Hope someone has a word in his ear though.....he is tremendous talent but bit prone to foolish moments. Good luck to all management and players. It will be tough but not beyond us".BELIEVE..

barroboys (Louth) - Posts: 91 - 04/08/2014 11:02:52    1631067

Link

The only way he'll get suspended is if the Dubs really want him suspended.
The ref saw it and took no action because he was aware of the awful abuse the lad was taking off the ball throughout the game which rte decided not to show.

bladecx (Monaghan) - Posts: 147 - 04/08/2014 11:32:15    1631086

Link

Bladecx,no that not right about Dublin it has not got to do with Dublin, what Hughes done. Its up to d ccc what they decide to give him one match ban r let him off,i think he could b in for one march ban.

geardlines (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 04/08/2014 12:01:11    1631113

Link

For what ? It was a bit of harmless messing although stupid. It's a complete joke if he gets suspended for that. Rte can't be desperate for Dublin to get through sure they are already overwhelming favourites.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 04/08/2014 12:24:58    1631137

Link

Come on now lads if he gets suspended he only has himself to blame, he's lucky that Niall Kelly didn't go down and make a big deal out of it, which might help his case.
But he clearly hits him on the head twice with the ball which could be considered a strike offence and pulls him by the hair.
I hope he doesn't get a ban as we definitely need him Saturday night but I fear we could be without him.

Pukefootball (Monaghan) - Posts: 377 - 04/08/2014 14:20:42    1631229

Link

It wasn't just 'messing about'. Gregory McCartan got sent off for throwing the ball at a player's head in the 2003 Ulster Final.

greenalien5 (Monaghan) - Posts: 44 - 04/08/2014 14:32:06    1631240

Link

I definitely wouldn't condone what Kieran Hughes did, it was very stupid and showed him up big time, but jesus he took some abuse throughout that game and it obviously just got to him, as someone else mentioned RTÉ decided not to show that

farneyfriend (Monaghan) - Posts: 37 - 05/08/2014 15:48:31    1631913

Link

farneyfriend
County: Monaghan

1631913 I definitely wouldn't condone what Kieran Hughes did, it was very stupid and showed him up big time, but jesus he took some abuse throughout that game and it obviously just got to him, as someone else mentioned RTÉ decided not to show that

So he reacted by picking on the youngest and smallest player on the field? He is a very lucky lad to be playing next Saturday. No complaints on the result, we should have held on but ye were better in extra time. Best of luck against Dublin, love if you could beat them.

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 05/08/2014 19:02:54    1632058

Link