Mayo Forum

New Mayo Junior Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

So this New Mayo Junior Championship commences this weekend that only includes B teams in the county (excluding Castlebar Mitchells B). A joke competition in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, championship is championship, however to pick the B teams out of the Junior Championship this year and to wait until October to start the competition is almost insulting if you ask me.
To add insult to injury, they have added a rule that states that the B teams can include all subs from their A team + 3 starters who will be regraded. There are now B teams in this county that will have "junior" players that may not play a competitive game of football all year due to the A team players coming down to the B team and taking positions.

Can anyone answer the question as to why there is a need to regrade 3 starting players from the A teams when the B teams have access to all subs (no matter if they played "A" championship or not this year) which consequently will see many junior players lose their spots on the team?

Also, can anyone answer as to why B teams were taken away from the Junior championship in the first place? It all seems a bit bizarre to me? Even at that, the draw was made twice which split B teams up further into Junior A, Junior B and Junior C.

Finally, does it not seem a bit flawed in that should Castlebar Mitchells B get relegated from Intermediate (which they are strongly competing), they will go to this "New Mayo Junior Championship" and will never get the opportunity to get promoted back to Intermediate?

You will be happy to know that my rant is over on this but I would hope that the county board will have a hard look at this restructure and reconsider for next year

number_1 (Mayo) - Posts: 64 - 28/09/2020 14:27:10    2294528

Link

Replying To number_1:  "So this New Mayo Junior Championship commences this weekend that only includes B teams in the county (excluding Castlebar Mitchells B). A joke competition in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, championship is championship, however to pick the B teams out of the Junior Championship this year and to wait until October to start the competition is almost insulting if you ask me.
To add insult to injury, they have added a rule that states that the B teams can include all subs from their A team + 3 starters who will be regraded. There are now B teams in this county that will have "junior" players that may not play a competitive game of football all year due to the A team players coming down to the B team and taking positions.

Can anyone answer the question as to why there is a need to regrade 3 starting players from the A teams when the B teams have access to all subs (no matter if they played "A" championship or not this year) which consequently will see many junior players lose their spots on the team?

Also, can anyone answer as to why B teams were taken away from the Junior championship in the first place? It all seems a bit bizarre to me? Even at that, the draw was made twice which split B teams up further into Junior A, Junior B and Junior C.

Finally, does it not seem a bit flawed in that should Castlebar Mitchells B get relegated from Intermediate (which they are strongly competing), they will go to this "New Mayo Junior Championship" and will never get the opportunity to get promoted back to Intermediate?

You will be happy to know that my rant is over on this but I would hope that the county board will have a hard look at this restructure and reconsider for next year"
Bit of a joke that 3 players who started the senior championship can paly junior alright. I imagine they didn't play them off at the same time as the other games due to not having enough referees? I think the B teams were taken out of the exclusive junior championship after Kilmaine were beaten in the final last year, and yet went on to win Connaught, as Castlebar weren't allowed in. If there was a case of two B teams in the final, who'd represent Mayo then?

July29th (Mayo) - Posts: 10 - 29/09/2020 15:36:35    2294757

Link

The B teams were removed I think to get smaller clubs whose first teams are junior more of a chance getting to semis and finals. Last year you had Castlebar B winning it and Ballintubber B and Knockmore B and cant remember if there was other B teams doing well and beating first teams.
Could be to help the smaller clubs, who couldnt compete with the B teams of the big clubs.
I think its a worth a go for a year or 2 anyways and see how it goes.

The B championship now thats starting and they are letting clubs play 3 starters from the first team that played championship this year is a bit crazy, no need at all for that rule. Im not sure even if its a good thing that they are letting lads that came on as subs play too, its going to create very strong B teams for some clubs

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 424 - 30/09/2020 13:03:10    2294879

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "The B teams were removed I think to get smaller clubs whose first teams are junior more of a chance getting to semis and finals. Last year you had Castlebar B winning it and Ballintubber B and Knockmore B and cant remember if there was other B teams doing well and beating first teams.
Could be to help the smaller clubs, who couldnt compete with the B teams of the big clubs.
I think its a worth a go for a year or 2 anyways and see how it goes.

The B championship now thats starting and they are letting clubs play 3 starters from the first team that played championship this year is a bit crazy, no need at all for that rule. Im not sure even if its a good thing that they are letting lads that came on as subs play too, its going to create very strong B teams for some clubs"
Just on your point on giving the smaller junior teams a chance of getting to the semis and finals.. the restructure forced Junior C and Junior B teams into the Junior A category which meant there were some very one sided games. Imagine a Junior B or Junior C side who were not necessarily competing for their respective titles, being thrown into the lions den with the likes of Kilmaine and Ardagh? I'm not speaking for them but I would find it very demoralizing. Just an example of some results in the group stages:

Killala 5-16 Lacken 0-2
Kilmeena 3-10 Ballycroy 1-3
Kilmaine 9-21 Kilfian 1-4

In my eyes, the restructure favoured the already Junior A teams (the likes of Kilmaine, Ardagh, Kilmeena etc.) who were competing at Junior A. However, the restructure has left some teams who were Junior B / C the last few years and thrown straight into the deep end.

The rule up until this year was any player that plays Senior Championship is ineligible to play Junior Championship. I am very unsure why this rule changed this year plus the add on of allowing 3 starters to play also. As you said, we will see some of the strongest B teams line up over the next few weeks for this new championship and the line ups will be interesting.

number_1 (Mayo) - Posts: 64 - 01/10/2020 10:19:48    2294989

Link

Replying To number_1:  "Just on your point on giving the smaller junior teams a chance of getting to the semis and finals.. the restructure forced Junior C and Junior B teams into the Junior A category which meant there were some very one sided games. Imagine a Junior B or Junior C side who were not necessarily competing for their respective titles, being thrown into the lions den with the likes of Kilmaine and Ardagh? I'm not speaking for them but I would find it very demoralizing. Just an example of some results in the group stages:

Killala 5-16 Lacken 0-2
Kilmeena 3-10 Ballycroy 1-3
Kilmaine 9-21 Kilfian 1-4

In my eyes, the restructure favoured the already Junior A teams (the likes of Kilmaine, Ardagh, Kilmeena etc.) who were competing at Junior A. However, the restructure has left some teams who were Junior B / C the last few years and thrown straight into the deep end.

The rule up until this year was any player that plays Senior Championship is ineligible to play Junior Championship. I am very unsure why this rule changed this year plus the add on of allowing 3 starters to play also. As you said, we will see some of the strongest B teams line up over the next few weeks for this new championship and the line ups will be interesting."
What I heard at the time was that its the smaller clubs who were pushing for it, maybe not all of them were, as you said some arent able or not ready too compete at Junior A.
Maybe they thought its better to be losing to other clubs first teams rather than a clubs B team.
They teams that finished bottom of the groups did go into the Junior B competition so least thats good.
Id leave it the way it is for another year or 2 and see if it does help the smaller clubs improve.

The new rule for who can play with B teams must have been a decision cause of Covid..clubs were having high numbers training so more ppl not getting games but I dont know..

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 424 - 02/10/2020 20:58:12    2295377

Link

It's looking likely that this competition will be scrapped altogether now after the GAA's announcement yesterday. I truly feel for the players of all B teams who probably saw very little football this year.

number_1 (Mayo) - Posts: 64 - 06/10/2020 10:58:49    2296018

Link