Leitrim Forum

Leitrim V Mayo.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I find it hard to credit people saying we have made progress. We have been relegated and lost by double scores plus at home, after visibly tiring in the second half.
I don't think Hyland will hang around for another go at div 4, maybe he will stay, and I don't mind if he does, he seems to be a common sense character.
However, we had one man up front on his own the whole first half with a howling gale at our backs and we were tippy tappying the ball and losing it in the middle third constantly. Luckily Mayo kept losing it too in the first half. Why on earth had we not at least two men up in the forwards and pump in long diagonal balls constantly into them or drop them in on the goalie's head with lads putting pressure on him with a slippy ball.. There was little or no running off the ball or making runs to draw defenders away. The fitness levels dropped remarkably in the second half too.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 02/11/2020 13:52:40    2304414

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "I doubt if you have the good of Leitrim football at heart.
Thankfully, and against the odds, we have a reasonably talented bunch of players for the first time in a long long time. Under the current management they have made substantial progress and their is cause for hope.
Surely it makes sense for the current management to continue the journey."
Strange comment to make. I wouldn't think there is anyone on this forum without the good intentions of Leitrim football, apart from imposters we had that were dealt with last week. From my point of view i'd like to know what metrics you use to say we have made progress? And why is it against the odds we have a talented bunch of players? Gaelic is the only sport in town in Leitrim apart from small pockets of soccer and rugby. You compare us to the likes of Longford who are of similar size club wise and of Fermanagh and we are behind a good bit. Both of those teams would beat us in championship football. Compare to the Dessie Dolan and Joe Reynolds eras when we went out with the belief we could beat anyone on the day, i doubt there was one Leitrim player who thought we wold win yesterday, and that is where the change in fortunes must come.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 02/11/2020 14:09:42    2304422

Link

Very tough conditions yesterday for players but I felt Leitrim players kept fighting to the very end. In bad conditions & losing well it would have been very easy to drop the head but I felt they kept at it. Moran & Ryan O'Rourke were 2 big misses for ye.

Disappointing to drop to division 4 as I feel ye have the players to be at least competing at the top end of Division 3. Hopefully Ryan O'Rourke will get an injury free run at it next year as he's a brilliant footballer and is so important for ye. Dolan really impressed me yesterday in a game where conditions wouldn't have suited his skillset. If Leitrim can get everyone out on the field & have a bit of luck on the injury side of things I feel there is no reason why they won't achieve promotion again in 2021.

Rossiemad (None) - Posts: 93 - 02/11/2020 14:23:50    2304426

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Strange comment to make. I wouldn't think there is anyone on this forum without the good intentions of Leitrim football, apart from imposters we had that were dealt with last week. From my point of view i'd like to know what metrics you use to say we have made progress? And why is it against the odds we have a talented bunch of players? Gaelic is the only sport in town in Leitrim apart from small pockets of soccer and rugby. You compare us to the likes of Longford who are of similar size club wise and of Fermanagh and we are behind a good bit. Both of those teams would beat us in championship football. Compare to the Dessie Dolan and Joe Reynolds eras when we went out with the belief we could beat anyone on the day, i doubt there was one Leitrim player who thought we wold win yesterday, and that is where the change in fortunes must come."
Against the odds means a history of losing since the great 1980/94 era,
poor coaching structures at club level which was only recently rectified, little home based job opportunities and a general lack of belief prevalent in the county.

Success has been promotion from Division 4 and being competitive in Division 3.We were flying in the game against Louth and after that Covid set in and the priority of everyone has been personal survival rather than footballing succes. Leitrim was badly hit as we know and our resources were stretched. Despite that the performance against Tipp was good, but the loss of Rooney and O Rourke through injury has been huge.

Provided there is buy in from everyone then there is no obvious benefit in changing the management structure,particularly as the latter part of the year was so disrupted.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 02/11/2020 17:31:58    2304526

Link

Congrats to our lads for a very brave display in yesterday's dreadful conditions. Am I the only one who was disappointed with Terry's post-match interview with the Leitrim Observer? He was critical of our under-age structures, our players' commitment between training sessions and our standard of club football and seemed to take no responsibility himself for the lack of results. Does he not realise where his players come from? The clubs? Also, what's the story with leaving all the subs for the last few minutes?

Leitrimson (Leitrim) - Posts: 1 - 02/11/2020 22:00:17    2304631

Link

Replying To Leitrimson:  "Congrats to our lads for a very brave display in yesterday's dreadful conditions. Am I the only one who was disappointed with Terry's post-match interview with the Leitrim Observer? He was critical of our under-age structures, our players' commitment between training sessions and our standard of club football and seemed to take no responsibility himself for the lack of results. Does he not realise where his players come from? The clubs? Also, what's the story with leaving all the subs for the last few minutes?"
Well he's hardly wrong to be honest... we had one good underage team about 7 years ago and that's been about it. It's clear that wasn't a full strength team that played on Sunday and let's be honest club football is not at the standard it should be at for a county with little or no other code competition for players. I think Terry has been unlucky... the Covid suitation completely took the momentum out the season. I hope he stays on but unless our best lads put the shoulder to the wheel, we'll be here again lamenting about what could have been.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 140 - 02/11/2020 23:14:00    2304652

Link

I am not jumping out of my skin with excitement about Terry staying but I will say he probably deserves to stay. I would like to see him freshen up his backroom team and bring in a more positive influence towards the attack side of the tactics.
Like everyone has stated their is a talented group of lads within the county, Sundays panel then add Ryan O Rourke, Darragh Rooney, Jack Heslin, Dean McGovern, Paul Keaney, Caleb Duffy, Conor and Ciaran Cullen, Oisin Madden means that an ambitious management team who go away from damage limitation plans and actually encourage lads to play man to man and with tactics that best suit our team rather than a tactic and gameplan stolen from an Ulster county which has a totally different culture.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 869 - 03/11/2020 07:59:40    2304673

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Strange comment to make. I wouldn't think there is anyone on this forum without the good intentions of Leitrim football, apart from imposters we had that were dealt with last week. From my point of view i'd like to know what metrics you use to say we have made progress? And why is it against the odds we have a talented bunch of players? Gaelic is the only sport in town in Leitrim apart from small pockets of soccer and rugby. You compare us to the likes of Longford who are of similar size club wise and of Fermanagh and we are behind a good bit. Both of those teams would beat us in championship football. Compare to the Dessie Dolan and Joe Reynolds eras when we went out with the belief we could beat anyone on the day, i doubt there was one Leitrim player who thought we wold win yesterday, and that is where the change in fortunes must come."
Dolan and O Mahoney were blessed with better players during their era's. Its like comparing todays Irish team with the talented players Jack Charlton had.
Every Leitrim player gave his all on Sunday but the team with the better quality won out in the end. That said we gave away possession cheaply by lumping the long ball and turned over too often. Ref did us no favours with inconsistency with how many steps a player can take now and Mayo got away with this alot especially in the first . I would love to see Terry staying on and get us up from division 4.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 03/11/2020 08:12:15    2304674

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "Dolan and O Mahoney were blessed with better players during their era's. Its like comparing todays Irish team with the talented players Jack Charlton had.
Every Leitrim player gave his all on Sunday but the team with the better quality won out in the end. That said we gave away possession cheaply by lumping the long ball and turned over too often. Ref did us no favours with inconsistency with how many steps a player can take now and Mayo got away with this alot especially in the first . I would love to see Terry staying on and get us up from division 4."
I thought the ref was very kind to us to be honest. I didn't see an issue with him. You have to take the weather into account but some of the hand passing was chronic, passing nearly over their team mates head instead of to the chest. But i suppose it is a huge move up in speed levels from even div 3 football what they were facing

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 03/11/2020 11:41:37    2304745

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "Against the odds means a history of losing since the great 1980/94 era,
poor coaching structures at club level which was only recently rectified, little home based job opportunities and a general lack of belief prevalent in the county.

Success has been promotion from Division 4 and being competitive in Division 3.We were flying in the game against Louth and after that Covid set in and the priority of everyone has been personal survival rather than footballing succes. Leitrim was badly hit as we know and our resources were stretched. Despite that the performance against Tipp was good, but the loss of Rooney and O Rourke through injury has been huge.

Provided there is buy in from everyone then there is no obvious benefit in changing the management structure,particularly as the latter part of the year was so disrupted."
Longford would have little home based job opportunities too though, they have the benefit of being a compact county which seems to make their club championship a more competitive affair than ours. And I bet they'd have given Mayo a more competitive game than we did. But as you say we could consider this a scratch year and let Terry have a go again next year in what is hopefully more normal circumstances.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 03/11/2020 12:13:07    2304762

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Longford would have little home based job opportunities too though, they have the benefit of being a compact county which seems to make their club championship a more competitive affair than ours. And I bet they'd have given Mayo a more competitive game than we did. But as you say we could consider this a scratch year and let Terry have a go again next year in what is hopefully more normal circumstances."
compact country? id say leitrim is compact enough, dunno what you mean

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 03/11/2020 14:51:09    2304855

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "compact country? id say leitrim is compact enough, dunno what you mean"
I mean to travel from one end of Leitrim to the other is well over an hour in the car. All the clubs in Longford would be accessible in 45 mins or less from each other, which leads to far more rivalries and in turn far more competitive games.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 03/11/2020 18:45:31    2304926

Link

I get ya, melvin gaels v gotlettragh or drumahair v carrigallen would only attract the die hard supporters unless it was a knockout game but i have rarely heard of a player not travelling to play a game in leitrim due to the distance.
I would put it down to their slightly bigger population, slightly higher employment locally and slightly better proximity to cities like Dublin and galway that players dont have as much hassle getting home for matches and training.
They also might have a slightly better attitude, I would look more at fermanagh as an example of how to punch above your weight

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 06/11/2020 10:17:08    2305512

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "I get ya, melvin gaels v gotlettragh or drumahair v carrigallen would only attract the die hard supporters unless it was a knockout game but i have rarely heard of a player not travelling to play a game in leitrim due to the distance.
I would put it down to their slightly bigger population, slightly higher employment locally and slightly better proximity to cities like Dublin and galway that players dont have as much hassle getting home for matches and training.
They also might have a slightly better attitude, I would look more at fermanagh as an example of how to punch above your weight"
Well yes, Longford is much closer to Dublin it's true. And most of their big club championship games in the past were played on Sunday evenings which would never happen in Leitrim. Handier spin back to Dublin after the game is finished for whoever there. You could have 6-7,000 at a Longford county final which i'm not sure we've ever breached in Leitrim. Could be wrong! And look at the success of a small club like Mullinaghta too, colossal achievement.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 06/11/2020 11:31:36    2305530

Link

I was thinking of Mullinaghta there alright when you said longford, i would allude to a far stronger club scene there more than any other reason longford are ahead of us.. I was in primary school the last time a leitrim football team made a provincial final of any kind bar the juniors and ladies, we have gotten more pastings than close games so afraid terry was right when he said the club scene is a bit behind other counties

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 06/11/2020 16:13:22    2305625

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "I was thinking of Mullinaghta there alright when you said longford, i would allude to a far stronger club scene there more than any other reason longford are ahead of us.. I was in primary school the last time a leitrim football team made a provincial final of any kind bar the juniors and ladies, we have gotten more pastings than close games so afraid terry was right when he said the club scene is a bit behind other counties"
He was spot on

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 07/11/2020 20:24:41    2305911

Link

I was rooting for Kerry today but in light of Tomas O'Se's comments about the smaller counties in the championship, I'm delighted they have a good long winter now!

LetItInHigh (Leitrim) - Posts: 36 - 08/11/2020 19:49:08    2306355

Link

I wonder what he will say tonight on TV

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 08/11/2020 21:35:34    2306481

Link