Leitrim Forum

Coaching Crisis

(Oldest Posts First)

It's a crying shame last night to learn of James Glancy's departure as county coaching officer after less than 2 years in the role. In those 2 years he brought a new found enthusiasm to the county and stoked up the appetites of coaches to learn more. His dealings with our club were of great value and we will miss him badly. If as I suspect that a more intune and ambitious county board were assisting him instead of constantly calling rank and putting obstacles in his way, I am certain James would not have walked away from trying to change the county he loves and played for with such distinction. When is enough "Enough"???

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 869 - 21/03/2018 15:08:55    2086645

Link

Lot of conjecture there Banana

From reading of press release, he has taken up a role with the Co. Council and Fire Service.

Presumably has guaranteed tenure and a pension.

I'm pretty sure Co. Board will keep him involved and in possibly a consultancy role, he has great contact and connections across the GAA world.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 332 - 26/03/2018 12:14:11    2088229

Link

Replying To Dodgy_Pass:  "Lot of conjecture there Banana

From reading of press release, he has taken up a role with the Co. Council and Fire Service.

Presumably has guaranteed tenure and a pension.

I'm pretty sure Co. Board will keep him involved and in possibly a consultancy role, he has great contact and connections across the GAA world."
If only Dodgy Pass.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 869 - 26/03/2018 12:26:57    2088241

Link

The county board hasn't covered itself in girly in many situations in the last few years but what i'm hearing about this is barely believable. James Glancy was arguably the greatest asset belonging to the county board and being constantly sought by Dublin clubs yet he stuck loyal to Leitrim and now it has ended like this. Don't believe for a second that a job in the Fire service is more attractive to James than a role he has spent the last 10 years working towards in both Leitrim and Dublin.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 243 - 26/03/2018 13:31:42    2088268

Link

You said, "The county board hasn't covered itself in girly". You wrote that wrong!

The word you should have used was "girlies". You have to use the plural in situations like that.

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 633 - 01/04/2018 17:34:36    2089988

Link

Digging out this old post seems appropriate with the news that Enda Lyons has resigned as GDA with Leitrim Coaching and Games. Now just Stephen McGurrin remains following the departure of Enda and both Sean Gallagher and James Glancy in the past couple of years. Who is going to do the tremendous work that these men did in their roles and why are we losing them. Following a year of no development squads, no schools coaching, limited club coaching for underage players there is a greater likelihood of kids dropping out and as we all know, a county with Leitrim's limited playing resources need to be punching way above their weight to be competitive. Other counties are flooded with GDA's including in their clubs and in a county the geographical size of Leitrim only one remains. Where do we go from here. Yes clubs will return to coaching in 2 days time but also many are preparing to run cúl camps this summer and as anyone who encountered Enda at camps throughout the county over the last number of years knows he is a huge loss to this aspect of his job. He was about to commence training of a new host of coaches within our clubs to take on the role of cúl camp coaches, can Stephen McGurrin cope with the amount of work involved in this on his own, I dont think he could be expected to.

Bowser93 (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 24/04/2021 10:25:52    2338606

Link

Digging out this old post seems appropriate with the news that Enda Lyons has resigned as GDA with Leitrim Coaching and Games. Now just Stephen McGurrin remains following the departure of Enda and both Sean Gallagher and James Glancy in the past couple of years. Who is going to do the tremendous work that these men did in their roles and why are we losing them. Following a year of no development squads, no schools coaching, limited club coaching for underage players there is a greater likelihood of kids dropping out and as we all know, a county with Leitrim's limited playing resources need to be punching way above their weight to be competitive. Other counties are flooded with GDA's including in their clubs and in a county the geographical size of Leitrim only one remains. Where do we go from here. Yes clubs will return to coaching in 2 days time but also many are preparing to run cúl camps this summer and as anyone who encountered Enda at camps throughout the county over the last number of years knows he is a huge loss to this aspect of his job. He was about to commence training of a new host of coaches within our clubs to take on the role of cúl camp coaches, can Stephen McGurrin cope with the amount of work involved in this on his own, I dont think he could be expected to.

Bowser93 (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 24/04/2021 10:38:43    2338609

Link

I agree with you but there is a solution. Advertise and fill the posts without delay. Surely Croke Park wont deny Leitrim this

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 24/04/2021 20:25:51    2338658

Link

Any idea why Enda Lyons left? Seen him working first hand very impressive coach and a big loss to leitrim gaa?

JimmyNail (Leitrim) - Posts: 56 - 24/04/2021 21:07:58    2338664

Link

Taking up a teaching opportunity locally. He is a brilliant coach and leader. Good luck to him.

Those jobs need to be filled ASAP to continue the good work started

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 25/04/2021 11:20:41    2338700

Link

Common trend in relation to exit of leitrim coaches.all heading for the door.why???.

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 25/04/2021 23:45:51    2338747

Link

Not sure what you are implying.

The facts are the last two have opted for teaching positions locally.

Who could blame them for that?

It is important to have these posts filled as real progress was being made.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 26/04/2021 20:04:18    2338848

Link

we have to get the best coaches in, that much is certain. But how do we get them, I don't know, don't ask me.

the_creeler (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 30/04/2021 09:19:39    2339462

Link

Replying To the_creeler:  "we have to get the best coaches in, that much is certain. But how do we get them, I don't know, don't ask me."
Ye already have one of the best in the business over there, ye have terrie Highland who is an excellent coach. He had superb success while coaching here in Cavan and now he is doing the business with ye. We are lucky that we now have a Mickey in charge of us.

the creeler (Cavan) - Posts: 512 - 30/04/2021 10:27:54    2339476

Link

Agree

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 30/04/2021 14:00:54    2339506

Link

Replying To the_creeler:  "we have to get the best coaches in, that much is certain. But how do we get them, I don't know, don't ask me."
Not a very attractive prospect to any coaches out there to coach a division 4 team like Leitrim.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 01/05/2021 08:21:03    2339577

Link