Kildare Forum

Leinster Championship 2021 Boycott?

(Oldest Posts First)

What is the consensus here?

I don't see the point in sending lads out to suspend their social lives to be hammered by a squad of professionals funded by the GAA. In fact I would be disgusted if the county board agree to enter the championship under the current circumstances.

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1141 - 20/12/2020 20:52:31    2324813

Link

Replying To Daith:  "What is the consensus here?

I don't see the point in sending lads out to suspend their social lives to be hammered by a squad of professionals funded by the GAA. In fact I would be disgusted if the county board agree to enter the championship under the current circumstances."
Can't say I disagree Daith. Until the like of Meath and Kildare make a stance then the funding crisis will remain the same.

The issue is for our CB to get the crumbs from the Dubs table they will have to enter as the money is needed. I made a point here before and I think it's worth considering.

Stop pumping money into infrastructure in Kildare and sell Hawkfield. Use a club ground for intercounty training.

Take the money being allocated for Conleths and redirect it to coaching and development of "processes".

The Dubs have never had to worry about upgrading Parnell or developing a COE. We should relieve ourselves of that burden and see how long it takes the GAA to intervene and punish us.

Wouldn't it be great to see the rest of Leinster refusing to fulfil fixtures for a year and play their own competition.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3891 - 22/12/2020 10:18:49    2325334

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "Can't say I disagree Daith. Until the like of Meath and Kildare make a stance then the funding crisis will remain the same.

The issue is for our CB to get the crumbs from the Dubs table they will have to enter as the money is needed. I made a point here before and I think it's worth considering.

Stop pumping money into infrastructure in Kildare and sell Hawkfield. Use a club ground for intercounty training.

Take the money being allocated for Conleths and redirect it to coaching and development of "processes".

The Dubs have never had to worry about upgrading Parnell or developing a COE. We should relieve ourselves of that burden and see how long it takes the GAA to intervene and punish us.

Wouldn't it be great to see the rest of Leinster refusing to fulfil fixtures for a year and play their own competition."
I see what you're getting at there - I think its probably tongue in cheek; neglecting our own facilities will never be the answer. I agree though that a Leinster championship without Dublin would be a thrilling spectacle. It would probably be the start of a schism in the GAA - a new Gaelic Amateur Athletic Association - leaving Dublin to play with themselves each year in Croke Park for the Professional All Ireland.

The rest of the country is starting to see now what other Leinster counties have seen for years. Whatever about the 6 in a row All Ireland - 15/16 Leinsters should have been ringing alarm bells years ago.

The Leinster winning margin early in the Dubs dominance was a score or two - it gradually drifted out to where it is now. It looks like the All-Ireland is going the way Leinster went - bar getting a draw when playing Kerry with 14 men they've won the past 3 by over 5 points each.

The future should be bright in Kildare with a good manager bringing on lads from the U20 All Ireland win. But it will take 2/3 years of professional style development to get close to the very professional level that Dublin are at. I really hope the lads can do this but the playing field isn't exactly level at the moment.

So a Boycott? It might be what's needed to focus the minds at the top. With the dominance of the Dubs in Leinster over the past 16 years there should be no way diligent journalists can write articles today outlining the recent and ongoing unfairness of Dublin's Cash Handouts from the GAA. In the Same 16 years - even FIFA identified a financial doping issue and brought in Financial Fair Play rules to attempt to address this. They need to cut Dublin's allocation and distribute it fairly across all counties.

How could a Boycott work? Give the Dubs a bye to the final - and then hand them a walkover.

brianb (Kildare) - Posts: 6 - 22/12/2020 14:45:53    2325402

Link