Limerick Forum

Favourite Game Under John Kiely's Reign?

(Oldest Posts First)

John has been over the team for four seasons. What game in that time is your favourite?

I have to say the Kilkenny quarter final in 2018. When they got their goal I thought it was all over but our lads showed what they were made of, outscoring Kilkenny 0-5 to 0-1 in the remaining time. In my lifetime I'd seen us beat Cork and Tipperary but had only seen us beat Kilkenny in the NHL.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 18/12/2020 15:09:14    2323456

Link

That Kilkenny game was brilliant. Sensed there was something decent brewing when the cats were beaten. A really mature performance for such a young team.
For me though the cork semi final in 2018 was magical. I thought nothing would beat the earlier game in Pairc UI caoimh but the one in croke Park did. Fair play to both teams. It had absolutely everything. Well worked goal finshed by lynch in the first half. Gillane and Dowling leading the fight back in the last 10 mins plus Nicky Quaid's save to keep the dream alive. With Pat Ryan's lob in extra time it was like time stood still which never happens in a hurling match. I'll never forget that game as long as I'll live. The Luas was buzzing afterwards. O please bring on the vaccine

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 18/12/2020 21:24:25    2323543

Link

Replying To Mads:  "That Kilkenny game was brilliant. Sensed there was something decent brewing when the cats were beaten. A really mature performance for such a young team.
For me though the cork semi final in 2018 was magical. I thought nothing would beat the earlier game in Pairc UI caoimh but the one in croke Park did. Fair play to both teams. It had absolutely everything. Well worked goal finshed by lynch in the first half. Gillane and Dowling leading the fight back in the last 10 mins plus Nicky Quaid's save to keep the dream alive. With Pat Ryan's lob in extra time it was like time stood still which never happens in a hurling match. I'll never forget that game as long as I'll live. The Luas was buzzing afterwards. O please bring on the vaccine"
I would also go with the All Ireland Semi Final in 18, although the 2019 Munster Final would closely follow. The latter was a fine display of fluid skillful Hurling. The League game against Galway was another fine display by the lads.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2704 - 18/12/2020 21:56:25    2323576

Link

Replying To Mads:  "That Kilkenny game was brilliant. Sensed there was something decent brewing when the cats were beaten. A really mature performance for such a young team.
For me though the cork semi final in 2018 was magical. I thought nothing would beat the earlier game in Pairc UI caoimh but the one in croke Park did. Fair play to both teams. It had absolutely everything. Well worked goal finshed by lynch in the first half. Gillane and Dowling leading the fight back in the last 10 mins plus Nicky Quaid's save to keep the dream alive. With Pat Ryan's lob in extra time it was like time stood still which never happens in a hurling match. I'll never forget that game as long as I'll live. The Luas was buzzing afterwards. O please bring on the vaccine"
I would also go with the All Ireland Semi Final in 18, although the 2019 Munster Final would closely follow. The latter was a fine display of fluid skillful Hurling. The League game against Galway in Salthill in '18 was another fine display by the lads.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2704 - 18/12/2020 21:56:59    2323578

Link

That game in Pairc Ui Caoimh in 2018 was phenomenal given our previous record at the venue and the early red card. The performance of the team against the odds in that game especially Seamus Flanagan and Graeme Mulcahy signalled the arrival of a new force at the top table.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 914 - 18/12/2020 23:55:21    2323613

Link

A personal favorite was the draw against Cork in 2018 because of who and where we were playing. Cork were our utter nemesis for decades and the one side we had an inferiority complex against. As time goes by though, the Munster Final last year is becoming a favorite memory as it looks like that will be the last game that I'll go to with my father.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 21/12/2020 09:50:35    2324974

Link

It's great to have so many to pick from for a start.. My immediate reaction is probably the 2018 semi final against Cork.
Our terrible history against them over the years and the fact that With 7 mins to go I thought we needed a couple of goals to win.

But I actually think the 2018 1B decider in Salthill against Galway.
I think that was the making of this team, gave them the confidence to kick off to great things. After years in 1B to go to home of the all Ireland champions and beat them after being so much down at half time.. Amazing result.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 21/12/2020 10:38:26    2325002

Link

Very tough question, lots and lots of highs !
- Salthill versus Galway after being 8 pts down at half time against AI champions and first time out of 1B in 7/8 yrs
- Draw in round robin with Cork in PUC, down to 14 men and likes of Flanagans display adding him to big stage for first time
- KK quarter final, breaking through ceiling that hadn't been done before in many of our lifetimes, even conceded a goal to Richie Hogan and went behind with only mins left
- Cork in semi-final draw and extra time, 6 pts down with 8 mins left, Quaid's save, Dowling and Pat Simons goals
- Galway in final, first in 45 yrs, the unreal performance and 8 mins added that went to over 9 before Tom came roaring out with it, the emotion and ecstasy

- Tipp in Munster final, beat them everywhere with a powerful performance in GG
- League final demolition of Waterford where national title was won with ease at Croke Park

- Tipp in torrential rain in PUC, again put AI champions to the sword who had lots of hype and favorites with many
- Waterford in all-Ireland final, dominant throughout

Been to lots of games which will live long in the memory !, 2020 a shorter year and with not being at the games - will they not have same longevity in terms of nostalgia in a few years time ?

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 21/12/2020 11:21:15    2325016

Link

Favourite game v Cork 2018 semi final. Limerick 5 points down @62 mins and Cork with the wind in their sails. Limk looked dead and buried but dragged them selves back into the game and the momentum swung. Only one winner when it went to Extra time.

Most complete performance 2020 All Ireland v Waterford. Outstanding performances all over the field. Workrate, team work and skill not see at this level before.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 21/12/2020 15:43:08    2325116

Link

Replying To Westfester:  "That game in Pairc Ui Caoimh in 2018 was phenomenal given our previous record at the venue and the early red card. The performance of the team against the odds in that game especially Seamus Flanagan and Graeme Mulcahy signalled the arrival of a new force at the top table."
This is may favourite also. Gillane sent off and Graeme Mul and Flanagan ran themselves into the ground and destroyed the famous Nash puck out.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 21/12/2020 18:15:06    2325171

Link

It's a great question because the options for answering are now so numerous. While the most complete and brilliant performances of the Kiely era came this year, not being in attendance robbed them of a little bit of the electricity of games in previous non-Covid times. I don't think I'll ever attend a better, more atmospheric match than the draw v Cork in Pairc Ui Caoimh back in June 2018. The noise level that night was insane. That was a game when we transitioned from a team of great promise to a mature side of serious All-Ireland contenders. There was one sequence of play in the first half which epitomised how far we had come in such a short time. Richie English played a lovely short stick pass to Darragh O'Donovan who then dinked a beautiful square pass to Gearóid Hegarty, who took the Doon man's pass on the run and burst forward to score a magnificent point. I was out of my seat roaring approval at a sequence of play I'd normally expect to see only from an aristocratic hurling county in their imperious pomp.
That Pairc Ui Caoimh match was so pivotal to this team's evolution that it goes down as my favourite game of the Kiely era so far.

GerO.Racle (Limerick) - Posts: 38 - 21/12/2020 22:25:39    2325273

Link

The revenge win over Clare last year

treaty1973 (Limerick) - Posts: 93 - 23/12/2020 16:41:59    2325696

Link

The kilkenny game in 2018. I knew when Tom Morrissey got that point we would win. I'll never forget that feeling.

freetaker1 (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 25/02/2021 12:25:54    2332722

Link

Mads. Don't forget the absolute brilliance of Darragh O'Donovan that day. He was here, there and everywhere and was the man driving on the team, when they were six points down. A very under estimated servant of Limerick hurling

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2704 - 25/02/2021 14:40:20    2332734

Link