Fermanagh Forum

New County Senior Manager?

(Oldest Posts First)

Ryan McMenamin...will he go or will he stay? Could Mickey Harte be still interested in a wee management job to keep him going? If so, could Fermanagh afford him? Or is this 'macca type' suggestion ridiculous?

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 128 - 16/11/2020 13:48:49    2310050

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Ryan McMenamin...will he go or will he stay? Could Mickey Harte be still interested in a wee management job to keep him going? If so, could Fermanagh afford him? Or is this 'macca type' suggestion ridiculous?"
My god are u for real? If yiuo are serious then u and macca are well matched! Ricey if he opts to stay should be limited to a one further year to see if he is able to turn around the team to get promoted to div two and if he fails then it's time for a change.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 762 - 16/11/2020 14:12:52    2310070

Link

Fermanagh Co Board misses the boat again as they could have had Mickey Harte but now he's gone to manage Louth, a div4 side ranked at no.27! Also looking looking at Cavan yesterday maybe if Fermanagh were as spirted then they might go places as I haven't seen that with our county players since 2004.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 128 - 23/11/2020 21:48:05    2314339

Link

Bigtoejoe I have just been told that Harte was indeed contacted by a 3rd party but wouldn't consider the Fermanagh post whilst his former Tyrone player was in situ. Not rumour but fact! So don't be to hard on the Fermanagh CB

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1164 - 24/11/2020 16:17:42    2314775

Link

Has Joe McMahon left to join the Tyrone back room team?

wombat (Tyrone) - Posts: 23 - 26/11/2020 14:43:15    2315631

Link

Is the management team crumbling with the departure of Joe McMahon and the lukewarm potential stay or otherwise of Ricey? And then there are the Fermanagh supporters concerns that not enough is being done to help secure a robust management team to take the Fermanagh team forward in 2021. Who listens to the ordinary supporter or indeed players anyway as seen with the last debacle which the County Board weren't on the same thinking level as everyone else which seen the forced departure of Pete McGrath. My rant concludes.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 128 - 30/11/2020 10:59:59    2316806

Link

Joe McMahon is a big loss. He was highly regarded by all the players but the things he put in place will stand to the panel if they are followed up on.

hairyhorses (Fermanagh) - Posts: 10 - 30/11/2020 16:11:53    2317011

Link

Was the record not 9 defeats from 10 games this year. Should the decision to stay or go be left to the manager?

inallfairness (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 30/11/2020 16:33:35    2317028

Link

Replying To hairyhorses:  "Joe McMahon is a big loss. He was highly regarded by all the players but the things he put in place will stand to the panel if they are followed up on."
Who is favourite to replace McMahon? All seems very quiet regarding county management.

Or who would yous like to see get it? Anyone from underage setups or the club scene, inside or outside the county?

wombat (Tyrone) - Posts: 23 - 01/12/2020 00:20:49    2317201

Link

Replying To wombat:  "Who is favourite to replace McMahon? All seems very quiet regarding county management.

Or who would yous like to see get it? Anyone from underage setups or the club scene, inside or outside the county?"
I personally don't think anyone from the underage sets up would have enough experience for a county Senior side. I feel it may be time for Ricey to move on. In terms of who could replace him, I just don't know. Within the county, we have a very limited selection of candidates who would be fit for the role of manager or coach. I always felt Archie green could do a job for Fermanagh.

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 75 - 01/12/2020 16:17:02    2317358

Link

Personally I hope Ricey stays on and gets the right men around him.. the way he set us up is sound .. it's the men crossing the white line that just can't kicj points or take goals .. we made enough chances all season to do very well .. Manager's can't make lads shoot straight .. we need to try all the best shooters in the county .. clearly it's a step up in pressure that a few new lads couldn't handle but the man set us up well I thought .. the u20s should be given to him too and we need to recruit better at u17 level though I applaud McHugh in there

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 248 - 09/12/2020 22:10:49    2320888

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Personally I hope Ricey stays on and gets the right men around him.. the way he set us up is sound .. it's the men crossing the white line that just can't kicj points or take goals .. we made enough chances all season to do very well .. Manager's can't make lads shoot straight .. we need to try all the best shooters in the county .. clearly it's a step up in pressure that a few new lads couldn't handle but the man set us up well I thought .. the u20s should be given to him too and we need to recruit better at u17 level though I applaud McHugh in there"
To be honest, you cannot blame the players for not being able to score etc. If there is a problem with shooting and not chance creation, Perhaps these are things not being focused on through the training week or perhaps not picking the right personal, I have seen a lot of these Fermanagh forwards stay on the panel and contribute very little to the scoreboard!
Although the under21 and senior management in one role sounds good on paper, it was done under Pete McGrath in 2017 and was a complete disaster.

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 75 - 10/12/2020 11:46:32    2320994

Link

what tripe, either you can score as what a forward is supposed to or you can't. That's why you are selected to represent your county. But it's not a county issue it's also a club issue based on past results. Not enough scores at club level. Fair enough county team set up very defensively, however take your scores when the opportunity presents itself instead of recycling because you don't have the balls to shoot.

Blitzkrig (Fermanagh) - Posts: 14 - 11/12/2020 13:19:32    2321336

Link

Replying To Blitzkrig:  "what tripe, either you can score as what a forward is supposed to or you can't. That's why you are selected to represent your county. But it's not a county issue it's also a club issue based on past results. Not enough scores at club level. Fair enough county team set up very defensively, however take your scores when the opportunity presents itself instead of recycling because you don't have the balls to shoot."
Then it's clear we don't have shooters in this county, I've witnessed many players coast in that forward lie for many years contributing little to nothing at the county level.

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 75 - 11/12/2020 14:37:56    2321363

Link

correct, been a good free taker does equate to been a good forward, which has been the common thread for the county team, winning frees and convert to win games.

Blitzkrig (Fermanagh) - Posts: 14 - 14/12/2020 08:44:08    2322203

Link

No word on any additions to the backroom team yet.

Though did see article claiming that the Jones lads Ryan and Conal,plus Tomas and Ruairi Corrigan arent coming back this year, which would be huge blow.

Although could be July 2021 before any football allowed at this rate.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 902 - 05/01/2021 22:12:25    2326216

Link

McMenamin confirmed that Ryan Jones, Tomas Corrigan, Ruairi Corrigan and Conall Jones left the panel in November.

"For me it is old news. The squad knew about this for about a month. There were no qualms about it.

"We had a team meeting, and each of the lads told me that they didn't want to continue for different reasons. Ruairi and Conall felt that they should have been playing more this year. They were disappointed with the amount of game time that they got. Their opinion was different to ours, which was fair enough, but they decided not to continue.

"Tomas Corrigan said that work was going to dictate his time. And Ryan said that he felt that he had no more to give as a player. He's involved with the u-20 management so he is still part of the set up.

"I think for Tomas and Ryan it was an easier decision for them as they are in their 30s and have been playing for a while."

McMenamin said that he felt that there was no animosity about the decisions. Yet he believes that the squad is in a good place.

"We have players coming in, and players coming back. There is a freshness to the squad. We have a panel of 40-45. Sean Quigley is back trying to get his place. Michael Glynn is in there, Tiernan Daly is in there. There are a lot of new faces from the championship as well. I think there is a real freshness about it."

In a recent interview with Gaelic Life, McMenamin admitted to being a little embarrassed about the performance of Fermanagh.

He felt that he had not got the most out of the team after they were relegated out of division two, and lost to Down in the championship. He emphasised this week that there is work to be done.

"I don't think you could be anything but annoyed about the year. But we have four or five weeks now and we are working very hard

@Gaeliclife

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2278 - 06/01/2021 19:37:37    2326364

Link

Replying To FoolsGold:  "McMenamin confirmed that Ryan Jones, Tomas Corrigan, Ruairi Corrigan and Conall Jones left the panel in November.

"For me it is old news. The squad knew about this for about a month. There were no qualms about it.

"We had a team meeting, and each of the lads told me that they didn't want to continue for different reasons. Ruairi and Conall felt that they should have been playing more this year. They were disappointed with the amount of game time that they got. Their opinion was different to ours, which was fair enough, but they decided not to continue.

"Tomas Corrigan said that work was going to dictate his time. And Ryan said that he felt that he had no more to give as a player. He's involved with the u-20 management so he is still part of the set up.

"I think for Tomas and Ryan it was an easier decision for them as they are in their 30s and have been playing for a while."

McMenamin said that he felt that there was no animosity about the decisions. Yet he believes that the squad is in a good place.

"We have players coming in, and players coming back. There is a freshness to the squad. We have a panel of 40-45. Sean Quigley is back trying to get his place. Michael Glynn is in there, Tiernan Daly is in there. There are a lot of new faces from the championship as well. I think there is a real freshness about it."

In a recent interview with Gaelic Life, McMenamin admitted to being a little embarrassed about the performance of Fermanagh.

He felt that he had not got the most out of the team after they were relegated out of division two, and lost to Down in the championship. He emphasised this week that there is work to be done.

"I don't think you could be anything but annoyed about the year. But we have four or five weeks now and we are working very hard

@Gaeliclife"
Ahem thanks for the copy paste job !! So good I read it twice ... anyway I wouldn't be surprised if Ricey does better without big Joe .. he has a good football brain but his heart wasn't in it... no reason we can't bounce back in this bizarre season structure that awaits .. plenty of new talent in pipeline which is great .. and pace too .. RJ and TC were great servsbts but neither were exactly blessed with pace .. I see big SQ is back too and I'll say nothing about speed there .. however Kelm Shiels Cassidy are all speedsters and it's essential we have more .. am I missing out any other bullets ?? Young McCarney from BnL would be one maybe

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 248 - 08/01/2021 12:02:39    2326611

Link