Mayo Forum

Full Back Position

(Oldest Posts First)

Does anyone feel we need to do something about the full back position?
Perhaps the plan is to merge Harrison or Boyler or Zippy or Barrett in at some stage but if its the case is the white heat of battle against Ross or galway the place to do it? Not their normal position and no out and out since I dare say it Cafferkey.
Got caught out with Keane and and and.
Surley we must have a plan its such a critical position and more prevalent since the mark

Maybe im overreacting but im worried about this position , bread and butter for defenders is to defend, yes if the opportunity arises bomb forward but minding the house is number 1. leave the scoring to someone else.

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 298 - 27/10/2020 16:29:24    2302134

Link

Full back should never be too far away from his square , last line of defence ,first job is mind your own house.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 41 - 27/10/2020 20:19:22    2302255

Link

Our issues are not as simple as who wears the number 3 jersey. Sundays game reminded me of the Roscommon game in McHale last year. Playing against a team with men dropping back, slippery conditions, running into traffic, getting turned over and then its's 2 v 2 inside our own 45 against good forwards which leads to goals.

Horan's teams look to impose their game onto the opposition with half backs bombing forward. When a team is not up to that level of intensity it will work. When someone matches you in that department you are in trouble as there is no one to mind the house..

I sincerely hope we are prepared to deal with that situation better then recent history suggests or it will be lights out in the Hyde

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1199 - 28/10/2020 14:42:52    2302503

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "Our issues are not as simple as who wears the number 3 jersey. Sundays game reminded me of the Roscommon game in McHale last year. Playing against a team with men dropping back, slippery conditions, running into traffic, getting turned over and then its's 2 v 2 inside our own 45 against good forwards which leads to goals.

Horan's teams look to impose their game onto the opposition with half backs bombing forward. When a team is not up to that level of intensity it will work. When someone matches you in that department you are in trouble as there is no one to mind the house..

I sincerely hope we are prepared to deal with that situation better then recent history suggests or it will be lights out in the Hyde"
Barrett could not be faulted , rock solid thank God

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 298 - 10/11/2020 22:28:32    2307400

Link