Galway Forum

That Galway Defence

(Oldest Posts First)

Terrible today. A big Achilles Heel. Somebody wrote in during the week complaining about how Kevin Walsh was so defensive minded. Hinting that he did not trust his backs. put too many men behind the ball and this hindered Galways progress. Well now we all know. Big Kevin is no fool. Padraig will want to get Jim McGuinness working on this side of our game plan.

Marooning (Westmeath) - Posts: 14 - 18/10/2020 21:20:52    2298953

Link

Hard to have a good defence without

(a) Workhorse half forwards
(b) a midfield who can win at least parity of primary possession to stop waves of attacks from opponent.
(C) defenders who arent known more for what they bring going forward than for actual defending.

We have none of those.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 325 - 18/10/2020 21:51:03    2298967

Link

Part of defending is the forwards and midfielders defending from the front. A lot of defences would struggle when runners aren't being tracked and players have time and space on the ball to pick out passes.

Sean Andy for example did not have a good game but try defending O'Shea on one one when there is no pressure on the ball out the field.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1786 - 18/10/2020 23:48:19    2298991

Link

Sean Andy and Gleeson not up to it. Get Kelly and Mulkerrin in.
The half forwards and midfield did damn all to help our defence yesterday. My granny would work harder.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 247 - 19/10/2020 09:56:09    2299038

Link

To single out the defence alone for yesterday's debacle would be very naive. Any set of 6 backs would have struggled badly yesterday. From throw-in, there was a serious lack of intensity in Galway's play. Very little pressure being put on the ball and a failure to track runners from deep.
There was a constant wave of attacks, many with regular free men for an overlap.
While some of the defenders definitely struggled 1-on-1, the time and space Mayo had to put quality ball in was a factor in this too.
The most damning stat from yesterday, was that Mayo took 20 of their 21 scoring chances in the 1st half. That's unheard of in any game between two division 1 sides. The fact that they had 21 chances is bad, but having an almost 100% conversion rate highlights starkly how little pressure was being put on them. You wouldn't get conversion numbers like that in a half-paced training match.
If you're not playing with a certain level of aggression and work-rate, you're on to a hiding from any good team. This a basic for any team wanting to be competitive.
After 7 months off, it's hard to be absolute about where they're at, but the signs from Sunday were very worrying.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 869 - 19/10/2020 10:21:42    2299049

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "To single out the defence alone for yesterday's debacle would be very naive. Any set of 6 backs would have struggled badly yesterday. From throw-in, there was a serious lack of intensity in Galway's play. Very little pressure being put on the ball and a failure to track runners from deep.
There was a constant wave of attacks, many with regular free men for an overlap.
While some of the defenders definitely struggled 1-on-1, the time and space Mayo had to put quality ball in was a factor in this too.
The most damning stat from yesterday, was that Mayo took 20 of their 21 scoring chances in the 1st half. That's unheard of in any game between two division 1 sides. The fact that they had 21 chances is bad, but having an almost 100% conversion rate highlights starkly how little pressure was being put on them. You wouldn't get conversion numbers like that in a half-paced training match.
If you're not playing with a certain level of aggression and work-rate, you're on to a hiding from any good team. This a basic for any team wanting to be competitive.
After 7 months off, it's hard to be absolute about where they're at, but the signs from Sunday were very worrying."
U have a point. Very easy point the finger at SAOC but with the amount of ball being pumped in, runners not tracked i think any full back would have struggled.

Our ff line didn't put in a tackle between them although Finnerty was good on the ball and took some nice scores. Varley worked hard when introduced. Conroy tackled hard.

Very disappointed with the work rate of Brannigan, Leonard, Daly, Burke and Finnerty. When they were beaten they were beaten. They didn't seem to bust a gut to get into the defensive line again to stop the overlap.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 19/10/2020 15:46:38    2299235

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "U have a point. Very easy point the finger at SAOC but with the amount of ball being pumped in, runners not tracked i think any full back would have struggled.

Our ff line didn't put in a tackle between them although Finnerty was good on the ball and took some nice scores. Varley worked hard when introduced. Conroy tackled hard.

Very disappointed with the work rate of Brannigan, Leonard, Daly, Burke and Finnerty. When they were beaten they were beaten. They didn't seem to bust a gut to get into the defensive line again to stop the overlap."
Good post, under 10s are told that when you don't have the ball you are then a defender. Players that don't track a run are a luxury no county team can afford anymore. To be fair to KW, Oisin Mullin would have had no space to run into as there would probably have been. 2 sweepers in the space. either that or someone would have pole axed him on the way through. Where was the aggression, in the last few meetings, Kyne, Kerin, Comer, Conroy were in their faces. They had men sent off because of it. Yesterday was a stroll in the park for them

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 433 - 19/10/2020 16:12:29    2299246

Link

In fairness to the backs that played the last day, they got zero help and were all expected to beat their man, one on one. If there is pressure on the ball coming in then they may have a chance but their was none yesterday. ( Lads around the middle third not able or not bothered)

I really do hope that this was joyce not showing his entire hand and keeping something for the championship. Yes there are a few lads that won't be playing come the big games but the lack of effort and sharpness was alarming.

square_ball (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 19/10/2020 18:05:53    2299313

Link

The best back we had in Limerick last year is not on the panel this year
I am not sure about Mulkerrin either, he got a good eating last year in the U20's semi v Dublin
I would run power in goal for sure and Go:
Power
Kelly
Sean Andy
Silke
GOD
Bradshaw
And Mc Daid

For the Dublin game

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 19/10/2020 18:31:57    2299324

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "The best back we had in Limerick last year is not on the panel this year
I am not sure about Mulkerrin either, he got a good eating last year in the U20's semi v Dublin
Power
Kelly
Sean Andy
Silke
GOD
Bradshaw
And Mc Daid

For the Dublin game"
Mulkerrin was very good during the first 5 games in the league. He might have struggled himself yesterday given the time and space Mayo were given further out the field. Sean Andy simply fouls far too much and is always liable to do something mad.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1786 - 19/10/2020 20:01:27    2299354

Link

McDaid seems to make everyone's team on here. For me he played all his best football at u21 and has struggled to make any sort of any impact since coming home from Australia.

I'm surprised Eoghan Kerin isn't involved. He had some excellent games for galway and getting a bit of a roasting off Paul Mannion in croke park could happen to anyone. We are not flush with options in the full back line. It's plain as day that Johnny heaney is not a corner back.

My backs would be

Flaherty
Campbell
Mulkerrin
Kelly
O'Donnell
Bradshaw
Heaney

renoir (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 19/10/2020 22:38:49    2299431

Link

In fairness O Shea is fairly unmarkable in there when the right balls are coming in..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 269 - 19/10/2020 23:37:35    2299444

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "In fairness O Shea is fairly unmarkable in there when the right balls are coming in.."
Not sean andy's biggest fan, I find that a lot of the time he gets involved physically first with his marker instead of competing for the ball. that great pic that was taken on sunday of himself and o shea a prime example. but i have to agree with galwaymaster on this one, going to cut him some slack for sunday. not many in the country could have dealt with o shea last sunday with the service he was getting and the lack of galway cover in front of him.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 341 - 20/10/2020 09:10:40    2299470

Link

Replying To renoir:  "McDaid seems to make everyone's team on here. For me he played all his best football at u21 and has struggled to make any sort of any impact since coming home from Australia.

I'm surprised Eoghan Kerin isn't involved. He had some excellent games for galway and getting a bit of a roasting off Paul Mannion in croke park could happen to anyone. We are not flush with options in the full back line. It's plain as day that Johnny heaney is not a corner back.

My backs would be

Flaherty
Campbell
Mulkerrin
Kelly
O'Donnell
Bradshaw
Heaney"
I would agree about mcdaid... didnt play many games for monivea so you would wonder how fit is he. It would make more sense to play players who were in good form for their clubs: o donnell and james foley being 2 of them.

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 20/10/2020 10:26:07    2299493

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "The best back we had in Limerick last year is not on the panel this year
Power
Kelly
Sean Andy
Silke
GOD
Bradshaw
And Mc Daid

For the Dublin game"
True, Declan Kyne never stood back from Mayo and he should be on the panal.

nohandpass (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 20/10/2020 20:20:38    2299718

Link

Replying To nohandpass:  "True, Declan Kyne never stood back from Mayo and he should be on the panal."
The reputations of some players who haven't played in ages seem to have inhanced after the mayo game.... Just waiting for someone to say Gary Fahy would still do a job

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 20/10/2020 23:03:49    2299782

Link

Kyne got far too much stick on here, he along with Daly was one of the 2 defenders who played well against Mayo last summer. I think he has something to offer going next year if he returns to the panel.

TheBishop (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 21/10/2020 09:50:38    2299821

Link

Replying To Ayeartilmonday:  "The reputations of some players who haven't played in ages seem to have inhanced after the mayo game.... Just waiting for someone to say Gary Fahy would still do a job"
No but I was thinking that the likes of Kieran Fitzgerald would certainly have been better than SAOC the last day. I think SAOC is still living off that decent U21 AI campaign he had 3 years ago. I don't think I have seen him play a good game for Galway yet - he has either been very poor or average at best. In saying that I don't think I have seen Liam Silke or Cillian McDaid play a decent senior game for Galway either despite many posters here continuously picking them in their teams.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 21/10/2020 11:45:41    2299867

Link

Replying To Marooning:  "Terrible today. A big Achilles Heel. Somebody wrote in during the week complaining about how Kevin Walsh was so defensive minded. Hinting that he did not trust his backs. put too many men behind the ball and this hindered Galways progress. Well now we all know. Big Kevin is no fool. Padraig will want to get Jim McGuinness working on this side of our game plan."
Awful lack of faith in the Messiah

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 21/10/2020 14:36:37    2299946

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "No but I was thinking that the likes of Kieran Fitzgerald would certainly have been better than SAOC the last day. I think SAOC is still living off that decent U21 AI campaign he had 3 years ago. I don't think I have seen him play a good game for Galway yet - he has either been very poor or average at best. In saying that I don't think I have seen Liam Silke or Cillian McDaid play a decent senior game for Galway either despite many posters here continuously picking them in their teams."
I agree with Tommyk I dont see how Silke & mcdaid are on everyones Team and Conneely is a better option than Ian Burke And now that the u20 is cancelled MMcloughlin and Raftery should get shot in center field they could not be any worse than Darcy?maher Tom Flynn is agood option for the last 15 minutes. Also Gary Kelly from williamstown scored 14 points in the last game. and Matt Tierney If he is not injured my team
!) Anyone with a kickout plan
2) Kerin/Foley/Jack Glynn
3) Mullkerrin
4) sean Kelly
5) G o D
6)Bradshaw
7) Heaney
8} McLoughlin/Steede if he is acvailable
9) Raftery
10) Shane Walsh
11)Conroy
12 Paul Kelly/Tierney