Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Ive been thinking about next year a lot this week with a lot of optimism to be honest. A starting team im thinking of for what its worth. Something to fill us with hope into a miserable winter.

1 Quilligan
2 Hayes
3 Cleary
4 Browne
5 McInerney
6 Galvin
7 Ryan
8 J McCarthy
9 Kelly
10 Malone
11 Duggan
12 A McCarthy
13 Shanagher
14 Conlon
15 O'Donnell

What do ye think?"
I've also been thinking about it and have a fairly similar team.

Quilligan ( got better with each game)

Hayes Cleary Browne
D Mac Malone Ryan

Galvin J Mac

A Mccarthy Duggan Conlon
Kelly Shanagher SOD.

David Mcinerney needs a flying start to the season or he'll be on the bench for championship. J Mccarthy should be played midfield for the league, give him a chance to make that position his own. Malone was top class playing half forward but if we have all our players back, he could do a job at 6.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 231 - 26/11/2020 23:36:16    2315808

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Ive been thinking about next year a lot this week with a lot of optimism to be honest. A starting team im thinking of for what its worth. Something to fill us with hope into a miserable winter.

1 Quilligan
2 Hayes
3 Cleary
4 Browne
5 McInerney
6 Galvin
7 Ryan
8 J McCarthy
9 Kelly
10 Malone
11 Duggan
12 A McCarthy
13 Shanagher
14 Conlon
15 O'Donnell

What do ye think?"
If you had that team would be in top 4 I believe, both McCarthys need to improve quiet a bit though, follow the lead of Malone.

I would also like to see Hayes used further out the field possibly as a no 11 { not the tallest but great paw} too much hurling for CB IMO no insult meant to any other CB but he wants to play every ball he is a real Jem though, great skill & Balance.

Tony Kelly seems to be leading the charge to have best team available in 2021and there seems to be a very positive feel about Lohan's style of management.

There are other hurlers that got a run this year like Ryan Taylor & Colin Guilfoyle Liam Corry & David Fitzgerald that could quiet easily develope into top hurlers they have skill need to hit a consistent vein of form.

Mark Rodgers & Shane Meehan Cian Galvin all were very good minors and performed for club this year.

Dara Corry Tulla also huge man played Centre Back for them he has the potential as well

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 572 - 27/11/2020 09:25:39    2315842

Link

Replying To clooney:  "If you had that team would be in top 4 I believe, both McCarthys need to improve quiet a bit though, follow the lead of Malone.

I would also like to see Hayes used further out the field possibly as a no 11 { not the tallest but great paw} too much hurling for CB IMO no insult meant to any other CB but he wants to play every ball he is a real Jem though, great skill & Balance.

Tony Kelly seems to be leading the charge to have best team available in 2021and there seems to be a very positive feel about Lohan's style of management.

There are other hurlers that got a run this year like Ryan Taylor & Colin Guilfoyle Liam Corry & David Fitzgerald that could quiet easily develope into top hurlers they have skill need to hit a consistent vein of form.

Mark Rodgers & Shane Meehan Cian Galvin all were very good minors and performed for club this year.

Dara Corry Tulla also huge man played Centre Back for them he has the potential as well"
I know what you're saying in relation to hayes, but the way hurling is now with 2 man full forward lines and short puckouts its very important to have corner backs who are comfortable in possession and then because of that a corner back could also have more possessions of the ball than most positions would have.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 27/11/2020 13:51:09    2315922

Link

Clare need to fix the half back line and especially centre back. Its absolutely paramount. Team target that area as a weak line.

You have 2 options nowadays for a centre back position. You either pick a hurler like Hannon, De Burca etc who sit deep and nearly act as a playmaker. These lads usually have a midfielder sitting in front of them or a sweeper behind. Lohan does not want to play a sweeper so if wants to pick a hurler at 6 then Galvin, Davy Mac or Shanahan ( if he comes back) are only options. Cian Galvin is too young but has potential.

The other option is go the Galway/Tipp route which is to pick a stopper at 6 like Gearoid Mac/Brendan Maher with 2 serious hurlers either side. Conor Cleary is perfect for that and had a good year in 17 n 18 in that role but I think we need him at 3. Now, is there another player who could play 6 and hold the centre? POC doesn't seem to be able to do it even though I have great time for him and a great servant. Or do you bring back a Malone ( not for me, we need his engine up the field). Or do you get David Mac to sacrifice himself and to sit more? I don't know. I think Ryan or Aidan Mac worth a go there. Jack Browne has the natural aggression for it but maybe not the physique. I cannot over state how important getting this right is.

For me if we can lower our concession rate and have a stable half back line that protects the FB line, we have the firepower up front to hurt all teams out there.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1027 - 27/11/2020 14:47:46    2315940

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Clare need to fix the half back line and especially centre back. Its absolutely paramount. Team target that area as a weak line.

You have 2 options nowadays for a centre back position. You either pick a hurler like Hannon, De Burca etc who sit deep and nearly act as a playmaker. These lads usually have a midfielder sitting in front of them or a sweeper behind. Lohan does not want to play a sweeper so if wants to pick a hurler at 6 then Galvin, Davy Mac or Shanahan ( if he comes back) are only options. Cian Galvin is too young but has potential.

The other option is go the Galway/Tipp route which is to pick a stopper at 6 like Gearoid Mac/Brendan Maher with 2 serious hurlers either side. Conor Cleary is perfect for that and had a good year in 17 n 18 in that role but I think we need him at 3. Now, is there another player who could play 6 and hold the centre? POC doesn't seem to be able to do it even though I have great time for him and a great servant. Or do you bring back a Malone ( not for me, we need his engine up the field). Or do you get David Mac to sacrifice himself and to sit more? I don't know. I think Ryan or Aidan Mac worth a go there. Jack Browne has the natural aggression for it but maybe not the physique. I cannot over state how important getting this right is.

For me if we can lower our concession rate and have a stable half back line that protects the FB line, we have the firepower up front to hurt all teams out there."
If anyone needed confirmation of your comments re a dominant halfback line then Waterford & Limericks display over weekends will prove how important that line is in hurling.

Pace, catching high ball, proper tackling, delivery, & threat going forward, all these are needed.

Our best options for Halfback line is to start there with D Ryan & David McInerney and i am not sure of 3rd Member would make up that line I don't think Aidan MCarthys future is in backline either perhaps as a wing forward.

There is time before next year but Brian needs to unearth a doughy defender or two watching Waterford on Saturday they have a class centre back in De Burca and C Lyone is brilliant hurler big man as is Moran outside them then the amazing Jamie Barron this year Clare had nobody like this Bar TK and to a lesser degree Malone.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 572 - 30/11/2020 14:42:56    2316959

Link