County Hurling Team 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To carlovia:  "Team is in.

Marty not named, James Doyle starting. Ross Smithers
in for Gary Bennett. John Michael playing with Diarmuid
Byrne at half back for Richard Coady.
Damien Jordan in for Brian Treacy.

Hopefully finish with a win."
When Bonnar steps down as Carlow manager, will Eddie Brennan be offered the job.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2201 - 28/11/2020 14:53:17    2316167

Link

Nothing good from that today. Second half was awful. Lost so many 50/50 balls, some very poor wides and just all round drop in intensity. Looked a preseason game at times, but seemed to mean alot more to Westmeath.

I just can't understand why not give a few lads a chance who we haven't seen much of in a game that realistically meant very little. Even when the game was gone, could he not have brought on some of the younger lads instead of Richard Coady and an unfit James Doyle, lads we know what they offer. You could argue he wanted to win the game, but why was Chris Nolan taken off after 50 mins if that was the case?

Bonnar done some very good work with this team in the past, but this year has been horrendous and we are in reverse now. One competitive win all year, against a Ring standard side in Meath, is just not good enough. Can't keep blaming injuries, when he had the same lads for the McDonagh as he had in 2018. Tactics, selection, prep, fitness, player development all should be questioned. Easily the worst campaign in many years.

I was surprised Bonnar stayed for another year, as I felt he could do very little more with the team and stood to only hurt his own CV, which he probably has no. His tenure has run it's course for me.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 116 - 28/11/2020 14:59:22    2316170

Link

Bonnar gone. Definitely time for a change and would
love to see Eddie Brennan approached.

Bad display, especially in the second half when news Antrim were winning easy must have come in.

Full back and Half back line very good. Chris Nolan very good till strangely substituted.

Ball wouldn't stick at all up front.

Huge call now for county board. We have quality players like Marty, James Doyle and Chris Nolan that we may never
have again.

We need to aim high.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1212 - 28/11/2020 15:19:59    2316174

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "When Bonnar steps down as Carlow manager, will Eddie Brennan be offered the job."
Hopefully, and sooner the better. Finished very poor in every game this year. That's a sure sign things just are not right in the camp.
For the talent that's there it's a real shame we are not seeing the best of them.
We have player's that would make it in any county but the set up of a club team.
S & C seems way off other team's and set up the team the same way evey day.
Bonnar has done his bit and fair play him, but it's time for a change.
That team is still young enough to compete with the best of them. But it takes 25 of a panel to achieve anything, more players need to be brought into the set to be developed for the years ahead.

Skippy2 (Carlow) - Posts: 37 - 28/11/2020 15:29:34    2316179

Link

Is easy off on the Bonnar criticism.. gave us great days like two years ago against Westmeath in croker on Leinster final day when mouse was in USA.
And very few Leinster counties can claim to match Kilkenny or beat them in a half of hurling which we did last year in NCP.
E Brennen would be great move but takes balls so extremely unlikely..
hope rumours of Marty aren't true, be very poor form today from someone that gets plenty of profile out of playing for carlow and it's never a one man team!!

Carlowtothecore1 (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 28/11/2020 20:33:11    2316289

Link

The last 13/14 years have given me some of the greatest days of my life following Carlow hurlers. The last 4 years under Bonnar have been great, anyone saying anything else then I duno. Two league finals, winning one. Two trophies lifted in Croke Park, days never to be forgotten. Playing division 1 hurling for two years ,& drawing with Galway while there. Running them to 6 points in Salthill was a brilliant performance. Realistically where we've been last few years Is as high as we can go probably but no matter who is in charge for next year I can't wait to start the journey again to getting out of division 2 again & the Joe Mc. Thanks for your time Colm & best of luck to the next man in.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1105 - 29/11/2020 11:52:16    2316421

Link

Replying To fergie:  "The last 13/14 years have given me some of the greatest days of my life following Carlow hurlers. The last 4 years under Bonnar have been great, anyone saying anything else then I duno. Two league finals, winning one. Two trophies lifted in Croke Park, days never to be forgotten. Playing division 1 hurling for two years ,& drawing with Galway while there. Running them to 6 points in Salthill was a brilliant performance. Realistically where we've been last few years Is as high as we can go probably but no matter who is in charge for next year I can't wait to start the journey again to getting out of division 2 again & the Joe Mc. Thanks for your time Colm & best of luck to the next man in."
That is a great post and echoes what I think. Some unreal days over the last few years. Thanks to Colm and his team (small and compact but still achieved) over the past few years.

Oldyellar (Carlow) - Posts: 41 - 29/11/2020 14:07:53    2316474

Link

Certainly think Bonnar did well with the player pick he had, we can mention this lad or the other but there is a limited enuf pool of talent. Certainly based in WIT sport dept he would be on top of training, team prep and so on. Re Eddie Brennan, certainly would be level we would be targeting, question is would he be targeting a bigger side? Also I'd watch Kilkenny in the next few weeks.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 483 - 29/11/2020 14:23:12    2316483

Link

I'm not arguing Bonnar didn't do a great job over his tenure as Carlow manager, but the last year was bad and he'd probably admit himself he stayed a year too long.

Carlow are judged on what they do against the teams at their level (Laois, WM, Antrim & Kerry). This year we drew one and lost four.

Ultimetly, despite the success, he leaves the team in the same position as when he got the job. Div 2 and tier 2 championship.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 116 - 29/11/2020 16:26:21    2316518

Link

Replying To TaosHum:  "I'm not arguing Bonnar didn't do a great job over his tenure as Carlow manager, but the last year was bad and he'd probably admit himself he stayed a year too long.

Carlow are judged on what they do against the teams at their level (Laois, WM, Antrim & Kerry). This year we drew one and lost four.

Ultimetly, despite the success, he leaves the team in the same position as when he got the job. Div 2 and tier 2 championship."
We were always going to struggle this year in Division 1 with the injuries we had.

Probably better for the new manager facing Division 2 and rebuilding rather than Limerick or Tipp arriving in town.

Would love to see Eddie Brennan take the job.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1212 - 29/11/2020 16:55:35    2316531

Link

Replying To fergie:  "The last 13/14 years have given me some of the greatest days of my life following Carlow hurlers. The last 4 years under Bonnar have been great, anyone saying anything else then I duno. Two league finals, winning one. Two trophies lifted in Croke Park, days never to be forgotten. Playing division 1 hurling for two years ,& drawing with Galway while there. Running them to 6 points in Salthill was a brilliant performance. Realistically where we've been last few years Is as high as we can go probably but no matter who is in charge for next year I can't wait to start the journey again to getting out of division 2 again & the Joe Mc. Thanks for your time Colm & best of luck to the next man in."
Could not agree more!
Those days against Galway especially whether in Cullen Park or Salthill and those wins in Portlaoise and Croke Park... fantastic days over Colm's tenure with a very small but committed back room team who never let the side down.
Great days and thanks to Colm - we had fantastic days!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1575 - 30/11/2020 14:41:43    2316957

Link

Eddie Brennan gone to Cuala and Cheddar Plunkett heading back to Laois (thought he would have been a good option).

Always felt Brennan was a long shot. If he was frustrated by what was going on with Laois Co Board, I don't think Carlow would have been too enticing for him.

A few names that could be on the radar...

DJ Carey I think makes sense considering his work for Carlow IT, worked with alot of the lads at IT and may be looking to get into Inter County management.

Conor Phelan has been involved with the hurlers before and had MLR in serious shape this year. Could be a strong candidate.

Henry Shefflin is probably a long shot considering he's with Thomastown, but might be looking at getting involved at inter county.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 116 - 04/12/2020 09:49:26    2318070

Link

Replying To TaosHum:  "Eddie Brennan gone to Cuala and Cheddar Plunkett heading back to Laois (thought he would have been a good option).

Always felt Brennan was a long shot. If he was frustrated by what was going on with Laois Co Board, I don't think Carlow would have been too enticing for him.

A few names that could be on the radar...

DJ Carey I think makes sense considering his work for Carlow IT, worked with alot of the lads at IT and may be looking to get into Inter County management.

Conor Phelan has been involved with the hurlers before and had MLR in serious shape this year. Could be a strong candidate.

Henry Shefflin is probably a long shot considering he's with Thomastown, but might be looking at getting involved at inter county."
DJ Carey would be a great appointment.

Had great success with IT Carlow and would know the Carlow scene well.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1212 - 04/12/2020 12:28:33    2318128

Link

So Antrim take the cup. Can't argue that they were the best team.
A good sign for Carlow is we have 10 players in Fitzgibbon Cup panels for 2021. Gives the new manager plenty to work with.

Anyone hear any word on who it will be ?

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1212 - 13/12/2020 21:43:03    2322155

Link