Down Forum

Christy Ring 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

Not be long now lads just want to wish all players and managers the best, final game to a good year for down hurling, give it everything boys and make it a great year as I know yous will.

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 93 - 19/11/2020 22:00:42    2311571

Link

Good luck, been to all our finals and this year will be different but if the team performs to best of their abilities then I'm confident of a win.
Armchair support this week .

Jab.Lift (Down) - Posts: 111 - 19/11/2020 22:10:59    2311575

Link

You're always concerned about a team going into a final when they've produced a fantastic performance in the semi-final and whether they can get up to those heights again mentally and physically.

Play like we can and we'll win but a good start is imperative.

YouTube it is then, so no commentary from Arkwright on the Square.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2479 - 20/11/2020 09:44:50    2311622

Link

Where is young Prenter from Ballygalget or Downpatrick?

doubletree (Dublin) - Posts: 164 - 21/11/2020 18:10:33    2312102

Link

Replying To doubletree:  "Where is young Prenter from Ballygalget or Downpatrick?"
From Downpatrick plays Hurley for ballygalget football for rgu

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 234 - 21/11/2020 21:23:32    2312309

Link

Can this down team only play a high ball?

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 281 - 22/11/2020 17:40:01    2312956

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Can this down team only play a high ball?"
Can't even play high ball hardly won any of our pic outs Kildare passed us of the pitch to many mistakes cost us

galget1967 (Down) - Posts: 131 - 22/11/2020 18:21:44    2313083

Link

Can they even do that??? Pearse og best forward on show yet still took off please explain paudie sull

Windmillhill1 (Down) - Posts: 20 - 22/11/2020 18:29:54    2313101

Link

Replying To Windmillhill1:  "Can they even do that??? Pearse og best forward on show yet still took off please explain paudie sull"
Some very strange subs players who have been injured and not training getting a run out top scorer taking off albeit Frees but still scoring and pearse og getting took off very strange indeed

galget1967 (Down) - Posts: 131 - 22/11/2020 19:06:58    2313184

Link

Replying To galget1967:  "Some very strange subs players who have been injured and not training getting a run out top scorer taking off albeit Frees but still scoring and pearse og getting took off very strange indeed"
Yip Pearse og and Oisin brightest up front and shuda stayed on though we don't know if they had any sort of knock. Not enough presence in middle third. Divilly etc big men. Interested to see are win rate on contested poc outs.

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 43 - 22/11/2020 19:30:54    2313244

Link

Replying To SouthCounty:  "Yip Pearse og and Oisin brightest up front and shuda stayed on though we don't know if they had any sort of knock. Not enough presence in middle third. Divilly etc big men. Interested to see are win rate on contested poc outs."
Hard luck lads, while never replicating last weeks performance ye battled to the end.. 2 of the goals where soft but where the difference in the end.. We have the makings of a very good team if they can add 1 or 2 forwards and a bit more pace at corner back.. Pearse Og, Oisin and Tim Prenter had excellent games.. a lot to look forward to next year.. Any new players to come in next year? Young Doggan from shamrocks, Conor & Ruaidhri McCrickards, Cormac Hughes, more of Ronan Costello, Rian Branagan come back? And that's before we get to the ards surely a few class hurlers coming through in the 3 big clubs

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 187 - 22/11/2020 19:56:40    2313293

Link

Hard luck boys fought to the very end, no need to go over the game the lads I'm sure will be disappointed with their performance and that's enough.

I will say this, I noticed big time there today the build of the Kildare players and even Offaly last week, they clearly all work in the gym, if down are to compete we need to start now, and that includes the minor lads who are in for a shout in the next few seasons. Tho we do have players who are strong we also have players who are to small and clearly don't work in the gym. It's a must in my opinion because of you can't match teams like Kerry, antrim, Meath etc physically we have no hope sadly

This goes to club level to, I would love to see more teams up into the senior championship as it really can only help the county as a whole, but Hurley ability just isn't enough these days, you have to be physically fit. One example from our club is Gerard hughes, he's come on miles over the last year with gym work and is one of ballycrans best defenders

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 93 - 22/11/2020 20:13:35    2313337

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "Hard luck boys fought to the very end, no need to go over the game the lads I'm sure will be disappointed with their performance and that's enough.

I will say this, I noticed big time there today the build of the Kildare players and even Offaly last week, they clearly all work in the gym, if down are to compete we need to start now, and that includes the minor lads who are in for a shout in the next few seasons. Tho we do have players who are strong we also have players who are to small and clearly don't work in the gym. It's a must in my opinion because of you can't match teams like Kerry, antrim, Meath etc physically we have no hope sadly

This goes to club level to, I would love to see more teams up into the senior championship as it really can only help the county as a whole, but Hurley ability just isn't enough these days, you have to be physically fit. One example from our club is Gerard hughes, he's come on miles over the last year with gym work and is one of ballycrans best defenders"
I do accept lads need to build themselves up but some of those on display today are missing basic skills, balls and honesty, i believe there were 2 kads carrying injuries into the game and they both were subbed in the first half. If you are injured be honest with your team members and management. Selfishness is unacceptable in a team sport especially a final.
I do believe the line got it wrong today.

swan song (None) - Posts: 451 - 22/11/2020 21:00:39    2313420

Link

to many mistakes by the defence an keeper caused down the game yesterday. not a lot between the 2 teams but when ur given away 2/3 goals you cant expect ta win games. some good scores taken yesterday from good moves and then taking aff boys that are preforming, I just dinny know what the reason was. why was woods red carded? hard luck for another year. look forward ta the next campaign.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2567 - 23/11/2020 10:42:37    2313729

Link

Replying To cahill:  "to many mistakes by the defence an keeper caused down the game yesterday. not a lot between the 2 teams but when ur given away 2/3 goals you cant expect ta win games. some good scores taken yesterday from good moves and then taking aff boys that are preforming, I just dinny know what the reason was. why was woods red carded? hard luck for another year. look forward ta the next campaign."
disappointed for the team and management and whilst yesterday wasn't our best display the post lockdown campaign has been a positive one with league and championship promotion in the bag. lets not forget that.

Lots being made of gym work and there's merit in that but the Gym won't put 3 or 4 inches on the height of you and that's where we lost out the most.
Our puckouts were gobbled up by the Kildare half back line and when we did start to go short once McManus was moved back in there, probably the most comfortable of the three(four) in taking a short puckout, he invariably didn't do much more with it than puck it into the same area's of the field that Viper was hitting. Needed to work it through the lines to at least midfield and get beyond the Kildare defensive wall, but that needs worked on in training, not something you start to do in Croke Park.
Lots of talk about who was taken off and all that, McManus the forward is a great wee free taker and gets on a bit of lose ball can certainly find the posts but he skirts round the rucks rather than getting horsed into them. If anything Down missed a bit of a physical presence in that area to buck lads out of it and get the ball worked out to the likes of McManus, the two Sand's and Prenter.
Only Eoghan Sands can hold his own in the dirty ball stakes but he was out muscled too many times when outnumbered. Too many same, same hurlers in there, need a badger in there as well.

I'd like to see a bit more of the Bredagh lads in there especially O'Rawe if he'd commit. The very type of hurler we're missing in the forwards.
Other than those lads the only other one who might offer something is Cathal Coulter but once again, not overly tall but a solid enough lad to be bringing on in the defence and comfortable on the ball.

Good year all in but we know what needs to be done for next year.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2479 - 23/11/2020 13:17:58    2313924

Link

Unlucky yesterday lads goals win games conceding just before halftime didn't help lads had a good season hopefully can build on that for next season will the management team stick together next year ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 234 - 23/11/2020 18:25:26    2314182

Link

We just couldn't get going at all yesterday, Kildare had a better setup than us which starved the supply of ball into the forwards, not able to challenge physically and we didn't learn from the Offaly game in fielding our own puck outs and allowed Kildare to mop everything up in the half forward and midfield areas, goals conceded cost us and is prob frustrating as we actually gave them these opportunities through our own mistakes, C.T got dragged out of position which left us vulnerable in around the defence, why didn't we push woods up to nullify the extra man and he would have given us a bit more drive up front, two sands got snuffed out of it, they pulled Eoghan out to try and get on some ball but he found himself getting crowded out and lost possession time and time again, all in all bitter disappointment for the management and players but if you'd asked at the start of the year that we'd gain promotion in league and cup competition it would've been gladly taken and anything else is a bonus.
Young team to work with , hopefully management stay on another year and get to enjoy the higher standard next season.

Jab.Lift (Down) - Posts: 111 - 23/11/2020 18:30:01    2314184

Link

Overall, a fantastic season and a great experience for the lads playing at Croke. I am confident we can hold our own and survive in 2A next season and that will help us develop for the championship. It will be a big jump and teams will be fitter, stronger, and faster - so we'll need to be ready. We have a nice blend of youth and experience and I hope the senior members of the panel hang around, to help develop the squad. It's also encouraging to see players from all over the county and hopefully, this will continue to develop the game more in Down.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 551 - 25/11/2020 15:39:56    2315271

Link

Agree completely but we must get bigger and more aggressive, we need to win pick outs in our forward line. Maybe try Liam savage up there put either John wing back or Tom Murray and the other in the corner. But yes I really do believe we can hold our own, shame antrim are away up, would love to see that battle in the league at McKenna park

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 93 - 25/11/2020 23:36:18    2315486

Link

Any word on county management r is it the same as last year

Ballyhates (Down) - Posts: 37 - 09/12/2020 13:56:53    2320652

Link