Donegal Forum

The way we play football.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see RG has got another 3 years with the option of a 4th. That is a massive vote of confidence for him from the county board and the clubs. They must see something in him that I personally do not see.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1767 - 19/09/2016 22:01:26    1916667

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Goin by todays papers. rory would need a two thirds majority. which would be a big ask if it was depending on clubs but the executive will prob vote for him. i still think it could be tight enough. as i said previously he shudnt get 4 years unless its reviewed annually. i hope he is elected cause in fairness to him he had a hard act to follow. but if he succeds i hope hes big enough to realise his mistakes and start afresh with a very young panel."
Thanks for the info. I would not argue with Rory seeing out his 3 years next year then reevaluate the situation then. Like I said 4 years is too much given what we have seen on the pitch. Not only that but the on-going situation with issues with certain players. Donegal have a fine squad reinforcements needed in midfield, half back and a scoring inside forward or 2. The job would be very appealing to most managers given the talent at their disposal. I think bar Dublin and Kerry (given young talent coming through) Donegal are on a par with the likes of Mayo and Tyrone. The U-21 Championship this year is one I cannot wait for as hopefully with it will come a long overdue Ulster U-21 and coming of age for some of the younger players.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2584 - 19/09/2016 22:05:02    1916671

Link

Just as I typed previous message news came through that Rory has got his wish. Just don't get it myself really not warranted but I guess when MM comes out and says he deserves 4 years it gives Rory alot of clout.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2584 - 19/09/2016 22:11:01    1916673

Link

Sorry back to being negative for me .

Three more years for losing 2 finals by playing disgusting and puke football .

Well done clubs of Donegal and well done CB.

Negative football is here to stay .

Murphy basically finishes his career as a midfielder .

Depressing stuff .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 19/09/2016 22:12:05    1916674

Link

I find it kind of depressing to be honest. I know people will talk about change of tactics and the backroom team but I can't see those things happening. Rory was in charge of Kilcar for quite a few years and Donegal for a further 2 years and the style of football has remained consistent. It is a possession based game with lots of running and no kick passing.

As TRS has pointed out we are going to see MM finish out his career as a midfielder. Also I would be shocked if we see the likes of Leo McLoone back in the squad again.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1767 - 19/09/2016 22:21:53    1916678

Link

When I defended our style earlier in this thread I never for one second believed he'd get a 3 year term with a 4th year as an option. I thought maybe he'd get another year. What has he brought to the set up to warrant that level of confidence?

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1182 - 22/09/2016 14:40:07    1917951

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "When I defended our style earlier in this thread I never for one second believed he'd get a 3 year term with a 4th year as an option. I thought maybe he'd get another year. What has he brought to the set up to warrant that level of confidence?"
In my opinion nothing to deserve a 4 year term.

I believe the clubs felt they had to give him the extra term because the players came out in such strong support for him. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, the players deciding the fate of the manager but it is what it is. I understand that RG has promised a different style of play, a new backroom team and the younger players to get a chance.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1767 - 22/09/2016 16:19:16    1917999

Link