Donegal Forum

Donegal v Cork

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

First of all : well done yesterday to all involved . Not easy to come back after a final defeat .

Have we improved on 2015 - I really don't know . We still have not taken out a big side and until we do I would say no .

Well done to Paddy McBrearty yesterday - he's a class act and I believe if he was better supported in other games- he would deliver 0-4 to 0-5 in each game .

Rory gets certain things right but get totally confused during the match .

If Michael Murphy is playing injured then something is wrong somewhere .

Eunans - stop this rubbish ' getting behind the team ' . We are all behind the team . I'll be there at the weekend .

I think our season was destroyed In Clones . I don't think I am wrong about that .

Need to have a think about the Dublin game . Id be very worried at the moment .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 31/07/2016 21:10:05    1893186

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "A question for everyone - do you think Donegal have improved from last year or gone backwards? Eoin McHugh and Ciaran Gillespie have definitely added something but losing Neil Gallagher has negated those positves. I think we have stood still as we still have the same game plan. It was interesting to watch Tipp today playing a nice mix of direct ball with the running game. They dropped sone long balls on top of the full back line and got scores of them."
Donegal have improved since 2015, they have started to regain some of their intensity, which was non-existent last year I thought.

Their point scoring has also improved, which is a really good sign and shows this is an aspect of their game they have worked on. Last year Donegal just weren't scoring enough, even though they created a lot of chances. They've been adjusting to a new keeper, and he seems to be developing very well and his kick-outs have improved.

While they did manage the bench well yesterday, It's still more of an exception rather that the rule during Rory Gallagher's reign. In saying that, generally speaking I have been very impressed with Donegal in Championship this year.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 31/07/2016 21:24:58    1893202

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "Donegal have improved since 2015, they have started to regain some of their intensity, which was non-existent last year I thought.

Their point scoring has also improved, which is a really good sign and shows this is an aspect of their game they have worked on. Last year Donegal just weren't scoring enough, even though they created a lot of chances. They've been adjusting to a new keeper, and he seems to be developing very well and his kick-outs have improved.

While they did manage the bench well yesterday, It's still more of an exception rather that the rule during Rory Gallagher's reign. In saying that, generally speaking I have been very impressed with Donegal in Championship this year."
We are now judged on the big games Gary .

If we lose to Dublin by whatever ; the season has ended exactly as 2015 so zero improvement has been made .

In fact , our route to the Ulster final in 2015 was more difficult so saying there has been improvement is guesswork .

The intensity was perfect last year up until we lost to Monaghan and it wasn't intensity that best us that day - it was a game plan .

We have a serious problem in goals but I don't like comparing as Durcan was a gem .

At the end of the day it's not a results only game . Lose to Dublin and no improvement IMO.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 31/07/2016 22:59:28    1893269

Link

We are now judged on the big games Gary .
If we lose to Dublin by whatever ; the season has ended exactly as 2015 so zero improvement has been made .
In fact , our route to the Ulster final in 2015 was more difficult so saying there has been improvement is guesswork .
The intensity was perfect last year up until we lost to Monaghan and it wasn't intensity that best us that day - it was a game plan .
We have a serious problem in goals but I don't like comparing as Durcan was a gem .
At the end of the day it's not a results only game . Lose to Dublin and no improvement IMO.
TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts:1419 - 31/07/2016 22:59:28

In fairness to Donegal, I think they've seriously improved their attacking play, which their higher point conversion rate shows. Last year they were over-reliant on goal's, we have already seen that this is not the case this year. When you look at the games Donegal are faced with in 2016, playing Fermanagh, Monaghan (TWICE), Tyrone, Cork and Dublin, I would say they have actually faced a tougher route this year and look a stronger side.

I think Donegal can actually beat Dublin this year, but it's a massive ask at 1 weeks preparation. It is their 5th game in 6 weeks, and all games have been against top drawer sides, with only Fermanagh falling outside of this group. If they manage to overcome Dublin, then I think Tyrone, Kerry and Tipperary should be on guard, as they will have serious momentum and much needed break before the Semi Final to refresh.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 01/08/2016 21:23:17    1893760

Link

I agree with Gary in that Donegal are not having as many of the bad wides which were far too prevalent in 2015. The draw this year and last year were both as tough as one another. Yes Papa is a huge loss TRS but McGinley has had a very very good year, what is he 19 or 20? Going to be some player in years to come for Donegal. Plus his kickouts have improved every game.

As for the weekend we will park the bus and hope for the best. I think if we are in similar position at HT as we were in the first league game I will be happy. What I do not want to see is a repeat of the 2nd half that night which was pitiful. The fact that it is Dublin will really put a pep in the players step this week which I hope will prevent a similar embarrassment as Mayo in 2015. Donegal should not be getting beat by a team like Mayo like that ever. Remember Donegal are a team in transition. Yes further retirements are inevitable but I think in 2-4 years time Donegal will be really in a great position. Saying that there seems to be a wave of exceptional talent coming up from the south west too in those coming years.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2586 - 01/08/2016 21:59:17    1893787

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I agree with Gary in that Donegal are not having as many of the bad wides which were far too prevalent in 2015. The draw this year and last year were both as tough as one another. Yes Papa is a huge loss TRS but McGinley has had a very very good year, what is he 19 or 20? Going to be some player in years to come for Donegal. Plus his kickouts have improved every game.

As for the weekend we will park the bus and hope for the best. I think if we are in similar position at HT as we were in the first league game I will be happy. What I do not want to see is a repeat of the 2nd half that night which was pitiful. The fact that it is Dublin will really put a pep in the players step this week which I hope will prevent a similar embarrassment as Mayo in 2015. Donegal should not be getting beat by a team like Mayo like that ever. Remember Donegal are a team in transition. Yes further retirements are inevitable but I think in 2-4 years time Donegal will be really in a great position. Saying that there seems to be a wave of exceptional talent coming up from the south west too in those coming years."
Unfortunately Mark Anthony McGinley is 26. He spent a number of years playing soccer in the LOI before committing to Gaelic. Still, he's a very talented keeper and has done a brilliant job for us this year.

He's done very well with his kick outs the last 2 games but Dublin will target our kick outs aggressively without a doubt. Hard to know what our best kick out plan would be.

Dublin will put serious pressure on the short kick out. And if we go long we will get cleaned out in my opinion. Cork must have won about 80% of breaking ball around the middle from kick outs the last day. We have struggled winning the breaks and second ball all year. The first game against Monaghan is the only one is remember us having much success with

HandballRef (Donegal) - Posts: 496 - 01/08/2016 22:59:05    1893814

Link

As for the weekend we will park the bus and hope for the best. I think if we are in similar position at HT as we were in the first league game I will be happy. What I do not want to see is a repeat of the 2nd half that night which was pitiful. The fact that it is Dublin will really put a pep in the players step this week which I hope will prevent a similar embarrassment as Mayo in 2015. Donegal should not be getting beat by a team like Mayo like that ever. Remember Donegal are a team in transition. Yes further retirements are inevitable but I think in 2-4 years time Donegal will be really in a great position. Saying that there seems to be a wave of exceptional talent coming up from the south west too in those coming years.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts:334 - 01/08/2016 21:59:17 1

I disagree on parking the bus, and also about Donegal being in transition.

Dublin's current system is better suited to playing defensive counter attacking sides, and their 6 forwards tend to push right up on teams. I think the key to beating Dublin is to push right up on them, something very few teams would ever attempt. Dublin's current system, which has been tweaked slightly since 2014, is based upon teams sitting back and trying to counter. I suspect the key is to push more players into the Dublin half, and have a proper go at goal.

I don't think Donegal are in transition, I think they have the players right now to go and win the All Ireland title. If Donegal overcome Dublin, is there really another team in the All Ireland series they would feel they can't beat? The opportunity is there, I think Donegal should take and run with it.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 02/08/2016 20:44:39    1894294

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "As for the weekend we will park the bus and hope for the best. I think if we are in similar position at HT as we were in the first league game I will be happy. What I do not want to see is a repeat of the 2nd half that night which was pitiful. The fact that it is Dublin will really put a pep in the players step this week which I hope will prevent a similar embarrassment as Mayo in 2015. Donegal should not be getting beat by a team like Mayo like that ever. Remember Donegal are a team in transition. Yes further retirements are inevitable but I think in 2-4 years time Donegal will be really in a great position. Saying that there seems to be a wave of exceptional talent coming up from the south west too in those coming years.

Dublin's current system is better suited to playing defensive counter attacking sides, and their 6 forwards tend to push right up on teams. I think the key to beating Dublin is to push right up on them, something very few teams would ever attempt. Dublin's current system, which has been tweaked slightly since 2014, is based upon teams sitting back and trying to counter. I suspect the key is to push more players into the Dublin half, and have a proper go at goal.

I don't think Donegal are in transition, I think they have the players right now to go and win the All Ireland title. If Donegal overcome Dublin, is there really another team in the All Ireland series they would feel they can't beat? The opportunity is there, I think Donegal should take and run with it."
We will have to agree to disagree Gary. I was not suggesting that Donegal should park the bus but this is how I envisage the approach RG will take. This is what previous evidence points to anyways. Personally I would like to see at least 2 men left inside at all times while also keeping our defensive shape. What I fear and do not want to see is a repeat of the first league match where after being in a good position at HT Donegal showed little or no ambition in the second leaving Paddy isolated and as a result it was a performance I liken to the defeat to Mayo. As for Donegal having the players I do not disagree and you know how much the age thing bugs me too but the reality is that some of these players are past their best. We have seen new players introduced and likely to see this continue over the next couple of years hence why I feel there is a transition going on. Because of the quality of players Donegal possess the transition has not hit as hard as it might other counties. In this regard Donegal are blessed and given that the waves of new talent are there Donegal are going nowhere yet.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2586 - 03/08/2016 11:37:51    1894596

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "
Replying To GaryMc82:  "As for the weekend we will park the bus and hope for the best. I think if we are in similar position at HT as we were in the first league game I will be happy. What I do not want to see is a repeat of the 2nd half that night which was pitiful. The fact that it is Dublin will really put a pep in the players step this week which I hope will prevent a similar embarrassment as Mayo in 2015. Donegal should not be getting beat by a team like Mayo like that ever. Remember Donegal are a team in transition. Yes further retirements are inevitable but I think in 2-4 years time Donegal will be really in a great position. Saying that there seems to be a wave of exceptional talent coming up from the south west too in those coming years.

I don't think Donegal are in transition, I think they have the players right now to go and win the All Ireland title. If Donegal overcome Dublin, is there really another team in the All Ireland series they would feel they can't beat? The opportunity is there, I think Donegal should take and run with it."
We will have to agree to disagree Gary. I was not suggesting that Donegal should park the bus but this is how I envisage the approach RG will take. This is what previous evidence points to anyways. Personally I would like to see at least 2 men left inside at all times while also keeping our defensive shape. What I fear and do not want to see is a repeat of the first league match where after being in a good position at HT Donegal showed little or no ambition in the second leaving Paddy isolated and as a result it was a performance I liken to the defeat to Mayo. As for Donegal having the players I do not disagree and you know how much the age thing bugs me too but the reality is that some of these players are past their best. We have seen new players introduced and likely to see this continue over the next couple of years hence why I feel there is a transition going on. Because of the quality of players Donegal possess the transition has not hit as hard as it might other counties. In this regard Donegal are blessed and given that the waves of new talent are there Donegal are going nowhere yet."
A prime example of this is midfield Gary. Don't get me wrong I think Kav has done well since coming back but without big Neil we are struggling there. There are younger players coming through who in a few years can come into that position. For example, young Thompson or current minors Kieran Gallagher and Jason McGee. This transition will take a few years however. We do miss big Neil big time. What we would do to have him fully fit fot the weekend.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2586 - 03/08/2016 12:40:39    1894675

Link

We have seen new players introduced and likely to see this continue over the next couple of years hence why I feel there is a transition going on. Because of the quality of players Donegal possess the transition has not hit as hard as it might other counties. In this regard Donegal are blessed and given that the waves of new talent are there Donegal are going nowhere yet."]A prime example of this is midfield Gary. Don't get me wrong I think Kav has done well since coming back but without big Neil we are struggling there. There are younger players coming through who in a few years can come into that position. For example, young Thompson or current minors Kieran Gallagher and Jason McGee. This transition will take a few years however. We do miss big Neil big time. What we would do to have him fully fit fot the weekend.
panamasam (Australia) - Posts:336 - 03/08/2016 12:40:39 1894675

I think teams that are in transition are generally teams who never bothered building up replacements for key talent, and then bring in a flood of players when its too late and struggle to find their new core players and constantly chop and change for years.

Donegal are probably the opposite to that, they constantly bring in fresh players every year, and within a year or so those new players quickly become key talent. All the players coming in to the senior panel as past few years see reaching Ulster final's and All Ireland QF's as the basic expectation, the bare minimum that is expected of them. Donegal's average age is 25, similar to Tyrone's and a lot younger that Kerry, Dublin and Mayo. And when you consider that the combined standard of Donegal players at both Minor and U21 level is probably at it's highest level ever, Donegal's greatest era could be still to come.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 03/08/2016 13:41:18    1894739

Link

The park the bus / don't park the bus debate.. I'm not sure if that's a straight decision we make. it will largely be dictated to us by Dublin. There will definitely be periods when we will have to park the bus and place faith in our defence to weather the storm, and please god we hold out well, concede no goals. But we won't be able to win this game by defending only...but hey, it might end up that we have to defend for the majority of the game if it's going against us.

The question for me is, will we be able to break out when the chances arise and get our running game and hopefully long ball game into MM /PmcB / LmcL going. Every turnover, every free, every kickout we get needs to put Dublin on the back foot. I doubt the blue sea will open up like it did in '14, but we need to get them turned. Neil Gallagher's loss is huge for this game, but no point crying about that now.

Are we in transitions or not? I hope we never go into 'Transition'. We should be looking to evolve every year with adding new players and I think we are doing that. There are a few individual calls about certain players starting I would disagree with and we should be making better use of the bench, but those are management decisions. Its hard to argue too much with the makeup of the overall panel right now. It will continue to be change, but we shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater either. Many counties would kill to have the quality we have coming through.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 256 - 03/08/2016 14:18:05    1894779

Link

The term transition as you are well aware Gary is the process of changing from one thing to another. I agree with what you are saying in terms of the players coming through and their expectations. Back in 2011 Jim McGuinness spoke of building a tradition in Donegal and it is exciting that this process is coming to fruition. Too many years Donegal had quality players that under achieved and had low expectations but this is and has changed. Given the size of the county and the quality if players Donegal have produced over the years there is no reason why Donegal could not be like Kerry competing year after year. The team still is in transition for me. Some of the players who won the AI in 2012 are at the end of their careers and need to be replaced. I think Donegal will remain competitive but I think in 3-4 years it is quite possible that Donegal will be stronger again.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2586 - 03/08/2016 14:19:05    1894780

Link