Donegal Forum

Leo McLoone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think the issue is as a county after the success over the past number of years we are expecting Donegal to be reaching the final every year. Anything else is not good enough. RG has brought the best out of some players. I think his experience has let him down at times but that'll come. Another 2/3 years in charge then people should be judging.

Terrorist (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 26/07/2016 21:56:11    1890676

Link

Replying To Terrorist:  "I think the issue is as a county after the success over the past number of years we are expecting Donegal to be reaching the final every year. Anything else is not good enough. RG has brought the best out of some players. I think his experience has let him down at times but that'll come. Another 2/3 years in charge then people should be judging."
I think Donegal fans are right to benchmark the recent success, and demand those high standards moving forward.

It seems to be an Ulster thing, where some fans feel its unfair to put demands to be consistently challenging for Ulster titles on players and management, yet for Kerry or Dublin, an All Ireland is the benchmark of success.

If the minimum fans expect year on year is to win Ulster, it will drive on a younger generation.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 26/07/2016 23:11:58    1890715

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "I think Donegal fans are right to benchmark the recent success, and demand those high standards moving forward.

It seems to be an Ulster thing, where some fans feel its unfair to put demands to be consistently challenging for Ulster titles on players and management, yet for Kerry or Dublin, an All Ireland is the benchmark of success.

If the minimum fans expect year on year is to win Ulster, it will drive on a younger generation."
Totally agree. Success breeds success. Or at least it should do. There's no point in lying back and resting on our laurels now, wasting the legacy that Jim McGuinness left. We need to be proactive and demanding. For sure, there are absolute legends of Donegal football who might soon be departing the scene, but we need to drive on with the next generation and be expectant that more Ulster titles will be for the Hills. Otherwise, if you sit still you'll be left behind. Just ask Down, Derry, Armagh etc..

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7356 - 27/07/2016 10:26:17    1890828

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Any bets on who will be manager next year lol"
See mc elhinney writing in paper today , says rory is well respected by the players. so it looks if rory wants another year hell get it. probably only fair. he took the job on when jim left so it was always goin to be difficult following jim. probably his biggest downfall is not having a good no 2 who he would listen too. thats not being disrespecful to jack cooney who is very highly rated. but is mainly a trainer.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 1000 - 27/07/2016 11:38:02    1890877

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Totally agree. Success breeds success. Or at least it should do. There's no point in lying back and resting on our laurels now, wasting the legacy that Jim McGuinness left. We need to be proactive and demanding. For sure, there are absolute legends of Donegal football who might soon be departing the scene, but we need to drive on with the next generation and be expectant that more Ulster titles will be for the Hills. Otherwise, if you sit still you'll be left behind. Just ask Down, Derry, Armagh etc.."
I think Derry fell into the old "Ah sure we are not doing too bad" mentality, while Tyrone and Armagh were pushing things to a different level, even Donegal would have been ahead of us in those early Noughties. And I think Down fell through a hole in the floor, feck knows what happened them, as they were once team everybody in Ulster was weary of playing.

You will have a few men coming to the end of their playing careers, but those men have accumulated a lot of knowledge from playing under one of the most tactically superior managers of our age, they've employed the most radical scientific thinking of our age to push training to a new level. I would suggest that Donegal GAA look now at harnessing those guys, look at using them for coaching underage development squads, and keep those essential skills within your County.

Colm McFadden could be a forward coach, teaching budding forwards/Corner forwards how to play and developing them properly. While the likes of Karl Lacey could be working on defensive play, teaching young players how to do it properly. These players would be developing their own coaching skills while doing this, and I think it would be good for younger players to see that there will be roles for all of them when their playing days end.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 27/07/2016 11:46:30    1890883

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "I think Derry fell into the old "Ah sure we are not doing too bad" mentality, while Tyrone and Armagh were pushing things to a different level, even Donegal would have been ahead of us in those early Noughties. And I think Down fell through a hole in the floor, feck knows what happened them, as they were once team everybody in Ulster was weary of playing.

You will have a few men coming to the end of their playing careers, but those men have accumulated a lot of knowledge from playing under one of the most tactically superior managers of our age, they've employed the most radical scientific thinking of our age to push training to a new level. I would suggest that Donegal GAA look now at harnessing those guys, look at using them for coaching underage development squads, and keep those essential skills within your County.

Colm McFadden could be a forward coach, teaching budding forwards/Corner forwards how to play and developing them properly. While the likes of Karl Lacey could be working on defensive play, teaching young players how to do it properly. These players would be developing their own coaching skills while doing this, and I think it would be good for younger players to see that there will be roles for all of them when their playing days end."
I hear what u all saying and respect all your opinions ,But Donegal has to face the fact that Rory Gallagher is not the right person to take Donegal forward ,two many bad decisions and refusing to bring on quality player s like Leo Stephen mcBrearty ,Ciaran Thompson far too many good players been wasted .I respect Gary and the other posters ,but they have got to look where Jim left us very unlucky not to have won a second All Ireland s.Gary says we have improved from last year,but that is not the barometer to judge us by ,it's where Jim left us .I sincerely hope I'm wrong ,but I can't honestly see us beating Cork never mind reaching another All Ireland .i am still saying and hoping (Come-On-Donegal)

Tonyjack61 (Donegal) - Posts: 172 - 27/07/2016 17:55:48    1891111

Link

I respect Gary and the other posters, but they have got to look where Jim left us very unlucky not to have won a second All Ireland's. Gary says we have improved from last year, but that is not the barometer to judge us by, it's where Jim left us . I sincerely hope I'm wrong ,but I can't honestly see us beating Cork never mind reaching another All Ireland, I am still saying and hoping (Come-On-Donegal)
Tonyjack61 (Donegal) - Posts:119 - 27/07/2016 17:55:48

2014 was the end of the road for some Donegal players, but some of them didn't retire and Rory Gallagher didn't drop them. So 2015 ended up being an kinda extended last hurrah, which seen Donegal bow out in a low tempo match against Mayo, lacking the kind of intensity we would normally associate with them.

For Example:
Declan Walsh put in the kinda performance against Galway in 2015, that hadn't been seen from Karl Lacey since 2011/2012, yet Declan Walsh, like Leo McLoone who put in a belter against Galway, didn't get a start in the next game against Mayo. Yet the problematic Mark McHugh made the starting lineup against Mayo, and positioning him as sweeper ended up seeing Aidan O'Shea score a goal.

Donegal have improved from 2015, but they maybe haven't reached their full potential this year, and the blame for that can be squarely laid at Rory Gallagher's feet. He is the team manager, and yet he seems blind to the benefits of using his full bench in any Championship game, or dropping players who aren't performing well. I don' think he is a bad manager, but he needs to be more open to addressing his mistakes.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 27/07/2016 18:56:06    1891141

Link

Replying To Terrorist:  "I think the issue is as a county after the success over the past number of years we are expecting Donegal to be reaching the final every year. Anything else is not good enough. RG has brought the best out of some players. I think his experience has let him down at times but that'll come. Another 2/3 years in charge then people should be judging."
Well, I would like to agree, but am afraid to. The facts point to his track record with club, which is not that good at all. Maxi has a poor record in ulster finals as well, always being involved in low scoring matches. I was at the u21 final a couple of years ago v Cavan and it was an even worse game than the all ireland semi v dublin in 2011. I think that these 2 men in charge are not going to do the business on this evidence.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3801 - 28/07/2016 13:59:11    1891513

Link

people are starting to hit the nail on the head, what have the gallagher/curran axis ever won???? answer is diddly, curran won a senior c'ship with eunan's, a team that had already won championships and will win more championships, his u-21 record, poor especially the last final he was in charge where a fear of losing the lead instead of taking the game to cavan cost us another ulster title. in the last 2 ulster finals our wide count in each game was scandalous, Why? because we were afraid to deliver the ball inside and when we did we only had paddy mcb inthere who was having to kick on the run or on the turn when being double and treble teamed. cavan proved that the tyrone fullback line was porous and supsect on the high ball, and even though tyrone were pressing a high line to deny the runners the space in the final we wouldn't gamble with a ball over the top to murphy or mc brearty because we were programmed for another game plan which didn't allow the players the flexibility or autonomy to change the game plan. the messsage has to be to trust you players and their abilty to make the correct decisions on the ball and have variety to the gameplan.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 568 - 28/07/2016 15:23:42    1891567

Link

Who do you fellas think should be the next Donegal manager?

TirChonaillabu2 (Donegal) - Posts: 344 - 28/07/2016 21:31:04    1891733

Link

Replying To TirChonaillabu2:  "Who do you fellas think should be the next Donegal manager?"
My choice and most qualified would be James Horan and not linked to any Donegal club

Tonyjack61 (Donegal) - Posts: 172 - 28/07/2016 21:58:50    1891760

Link

Yeah I Iike Horan myself, he was unlucky not getting an All Ireland with Mayo. Give him 4 years to mould the team as he wants.

TirChonaillabu2 (Donegal) - Posts: 344 - 28/07/2016 22:21:34    1891777

Link