Donegal Forum

Donegal Team.

(Oldest Posts First)

with the present restrictions of nobody going to the games, would it be too much to ask that all team selections be named at least two days before the game, so people who have an interest in the games have something to talk about.

Some Counties mostly Galway, Mayo , Kerry and others name their teams , why cant Donegal do the same.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 41 - 17/10/2020 11:02:41    2298313

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "with the present restrictions of nobody going to the games, would it be too much to ask that all team selections be named at least two days before the game, so people who have an interest in the games have something to talk about.

Some Counties mostly Galway, Mayo , Kerry and others name their teams , why cant Donegal do the same."
Agree that it is nice from a supporters point of view to know the team but managers like to keep their cards close to their chest. Also might be really difficult to stick to a starting 15 with covid cases rising. Hopefully the games can go ahead, be nice to be talking about football. I see Leitrim couldnt field a team today, not a great situation.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1730 - 17/10/2020 12:19:13    2298338

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "with the present restrictions of nobody going to the games, would it be too much to ask that all team selections be named at least two days before the game, so people who have an interest in the games have something to talk about.

Some Counties mostly Galway, Mayo , Kerry and others name their teams , why cant Donegal do the same."
Most managers would prefer to name their teams two days after the game!

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 17/10/2020 22:31:47    2298582

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "Most managers would prefer to name their teams two days after the game!"
I would love to hear the team on Thursday night like it was done in the past. But then days are long gone most managers gave dummy teams now so I don't mind not hearing the team. Interestingly Tyrone always pick there team on a Thursday night but the bold Micky still hasn't announced his team.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 856 - 17/10/2020 23:06:10    2298593

Link

In these circumstances a lot can change in 48 hours with injuries, testing so it's understandable waiting to name team until last minute

Donegal007 (Donegal) - Posts: 15 - 19/10/2020 14:47:36    2299212

Link

where was C Ward on Sunday, he was best defender before lockdown, he can run all day and put up a few scores as well, He would be on my team as a halfback and not in the fullback line as Bonner plays him most of the time.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 41 - 20/10/2020 10:37:04    2299498

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "where was C Ward on Sunday, he was best defender before lockdown, he can run all day and put up a few scores as well, He would be on my team as a halfback and not in the fullback line as Bonner plays him most of the time."
He came on on Sunday. I think it was for Jack Mc Kelvey at wing half back but could be wrong.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1635 - 20/10/2020 11:53:17    2299534

Link

I think the half back line is the most changeable one. Who plays will obviously depend on form but also the game plan for whatever opposition we face. For example one of Paul Brennan's biggest strengths is his physicality so could get picked with this in mind. While someone like Jack McKelvey will be brought in with a man marking job in mind. Hopefully Ethan O'Donnell gets a run out at the weekend he is one I rate highly. Having a half backline of Ethan, O'Baoill and Ward on your bench shows the quality and depth of this squad.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 20/10/2020 13:38:22    2299585

Link

Should Aaron Doherty or Eoghan McGettigan get a run out against Kerry, they might be decent options from the bench for the championship.

I am also puzzled by the lack of game time that Caolan Ward got last Sunday. He was in really good form earlier this year and feel he deserves a chance.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1730 - 20/10/2020 17:04:13    2299672

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I think the half back line is the most changeable one. Who plays will obviously depend on form but also the game plan for whatever opposition we face. For example one of Paul Brennan's biggest strengths is his physicality so could get picked with this in mind. While someone like Jack McKelvey will be brought in with a man marking job in mind. Hopefully Ethan O'Donnell gets a run out at the weekend he is one I rate highly. Having a half backline of Ethan, O'Baoill and Ward on your bench shows the quality and depth of this squad."
Never mind his physicality, Brennan has been an excellent attacking threat in the last two seasons in Ulster, and covers lots of ground. Possibly not as dynamic as the other half backs though. Strength in depth there a massive positive.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 195 - 20/10/2020 19:29:51    2299706

Link

Agree on ward. However think his position is corner back in the county team. It's his preferred area also. An attacking/ball playing corner back would be my role for him. We have enough ball playing centre backs!

Team for Kerry I'd like to see.

Durcan /Lynch!

Mc Grath
Mc Cole
Ward

Conor Ó Donell
Daire O Baoill
Ethan O Donnell

Eoin Mc Hugh

Jason Mc Gee
Mc Gonagle

Conor Ó Donnell (Carn)
Aaron Doherty (if with panel)
Cian Mulligan (if with panel)

Eoghan Mc Gettigan
Oisín Gallan

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 561 - 20/10/2020 20:56:19    2299736

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Never mind his physicality, Brennan has been an excellent attacking threat in the last two seasons in Ulster, and covers lots of ground. Possibly not as dynamic as the other half backs though. Strength in depth there a massive positive."
I was just pointing out one of his main assets and comparing to another's. He is a solid squad player and like you say likes to get forward. Would he be in my starting 15? Certainly not an automatic for me but no problem with him starting either.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 20/10/2020 23:18:13    2299790

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I was just pointing out one of his main assets and comparing to another's. He is a solid squad player and like you say likes to get forward. Would he be in my starting 15? Certainly not an automatic for me but no problem with him starting either."
Hi Panama, not disregarding your point at all, just a figure of speech!

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 195 - 21/10/2020 14:48:22    2299956

Link