Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To greatpoint:  "Did Donegal not draw with Kerry in the Championship last July?"
Yes but I think kerry are even better this year. Their defense is a lot better I think

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 98 - 25/10/2020 17:22:54    2301236

Link

Just in relation to Jamie brennen the management would have moved him out if they were interested in getting him into the game. I've no issue with him being uninvolved yesterday. He's was very effective in the league and thinking about it further I imagine he was under clear instruction of what was expected of him yesterday.

It's fair to say that donegal have a light enough squad when compared to other teams. I think it's also fair to say that no team is as dependent on its big players as much as we are. It's hard for fringe players to make a difference in a match like yesterday though it is still an opportunity and few put their hands up.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 336 - 25/10/2020 17:40:32    2301248

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Kerry were miles hungrier than us, it was clear as day, that makes a huge difference definitely but at the same time I was disappointed in some of our squad players being caught so short. I think while you are keeping your powder dry and not wanting to show too much, there's a few lads that got a chance yesterday that in my opinion will have played themselves out of contention for the matchday squad.

McMenamin is our best defender now by a good chunk, I think he has come on brilliantly and I really love watching him play.

Thompson with a brilliant performance too. I think he has quietly been very good for us but has not been scoring as much as his first couple of years on the senior panel. If he could tack on the 2 or 3 points per game again he will really add a lot to the starting lineup, he picks up an awful lot of dirty ball around the middle third."
Nailed it with the opening paragraph Joe. The teams were at completely pitches in terms of intensity but I completely agree that some players have played themselves out of contention.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 25/10/2020 20:18:04    2301343

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Just in relation to Jamie brennen the management would have moved him out if they were interested in getting him into the game. I've no issue with him being uninvolved yesterday. He's was very effective in the league and thinking about it further I imagine he was under clear instruction of what was expected of him yesterday.

It's fair to say that donegal have a light enough squad when compared to other teams. I think it's also fair to say that no team is as dependent on its big players as much as we are. It's hard for fringe players to make a difference in a match like yesterday though it is still an opportunity and few put their hands up."
You're completely right regarding Jamie Brennan. After the first water break blitz the game was over as a contest. Plus we were playing a style we have long moved on from by hand passing up and sideways which was never going to suit Jamie. If the management wanted him involved more they would have moved him out something you might see next week if Paddy is fit.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 25/10/2020 20:21:24    2301345

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Lad's, could we compete with that Kerry team if we had full deck. That kerry team is a serious team now and if we meet them down the line would we have a chance?"
We would have a chance but in my opinion it would be a slim one. It is obvious that Kerry have gone a bit more defensive from last year while not negating their attacking play too much. They are physically stronger and more powerful than last year too. If we were to meet them again I expect they would set up more similar to 2014 than going man on man last. Brosnan has also been a big find for them to add to an already impressive armoury. Of course different factors can swing in eithers favour. Obviously injuries which will be inevitable, the softer Munster draw might help Kerry in this regard. The possibility of playing on a slower pitch could bring a more defensive low scoring affair.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 25/10/2020 20:36:13    2301363

Link

Jesus we would beat Kerry i feel. Wouldnt be a gimme but I'd be fairly confident. Should have bet them with a few to spare last year. We haven't showed our hand yet. Small matter of Tyrone first.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 561 - 26/10/2020 14:40:26    2301647

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Jesus we would beat Kerry i feel. Wouldnt be a gimme but I'd be fairly confident. Should have bet them with a few to spare last year. We haven't showed our hand yet. Small matter of Tyrone first."
In 2012 we lost in the league to Kerry by 11 points.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7076 - 29/10/2020 06:23:34    2302713

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "In 2012 we lost in the league to Kerry by 11 points."
Exactly. Great point. We better stop talking about Kerry as Tyrone game 50/50 lol.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 561 - 29/10/2020 09:10:40    2302726

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Exactly. Great point. We better stop talking about Kerry as Tyrone game 50/50 lol."
Very true! Jeez I'm getting awfully nervous as the week goes on.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7076 - 29/10/2020 09:47:58    2302736

Link

Tyrone definitely have the momentum going into Sunday's game.The league may be the league, but Donegal's complete demise by Kerry would have to be a concern, even though they were missing the big guns. Donegal backs were thrown around like rag dolls, nobody showing the physicality required to defend at the top level. Brennan at CHB is a liability if he is selected with the likes of McKenna and Mattie Donnelly on the offensive. The likes of Langan and Jamie Brennan will have to step up the gears up front,Brennan's abysmal showing against Kerry very puzzling! Should be a cracker.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 258 - 29/10/2020 12:11:02    2302789

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Tyrone definitely have the momentum going into Sunday's game.The league may be the league, but Donegal's complete demise by Kerry would have to be a concern, even though they were missing the big guns. Donegal backs were thrown around like rag dolls, nobody showing the physicality required to defend at the top level. Brennan at CHB is a liability if he is selected with the likes of McKenna and Mattie Donnelly on the offensive. The likes of Langan and Jamie Brennan will have to step up the gears up front,Brennan's abysmal showing against Kerry very puzzling! Should be a cracker."
Who would you play at 6. One thing with Brennan he'll get stuck in . Maybe if he was there last Saturday Kerry wudnt have opened us up as much.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 856 - 29/10/2020 13:10:12    2302819

Link

@rorysboys, Brennan may be physical player,not the tallest but where has he been the last 4 or 5 years? Basically a squad player,who's been given chances. Don't know his age ,say he's headed for 30,so if he were top flight defensive stopper he would have been a household name by now. Would take my chances with McFadden in 6 spot.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 258 - 29/10/2020 14:28:48    2302839

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@rorysboys, Brennan may be physical player,not the tallest but where has he been the last 4 or 5 years? Basically a squad player,who's been given chances. Don't know his age ,say he's headed for 30,so if he were top flight defensive stopper he would have been a household name by now. Would take my chances with McFadden in 6 spot."
Hugh to my knowledge has never played centre back I think it would be risky playing him there in a championship match for the first time. For a start if he played there Tyrone management wudnt be long putting a runner on him.. Hugh will play around the Donegal full back line when Tyrone are attacking. He sat in front of Cathal Mc Shane last year and done an excellent job. None of us are privy to who's going well in training so if as likely he will be at 6 he's obviously showing up well in the in-house matches.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 856 - 29/10/2020 14:41:49    2302842

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Hugh to my knowledge has never played centre back I think it would be risky playing him there in a championship match for the first time. For a start if he played there Tyrone management wudnt be long putting a runner on him.. Hugh will play around the Donegal full back line when Tyrone are attacking. He sat in front of Cathal Mc Shane last year and done an excellent job. None of us are privy to who's going well in training so if as likely he will be at 6 he's obviously showing up well in the in-house matches."
@rorysboys , So what intercounty championship experience does Brennan have at CB? You seem to be touting his case big time. I'd say between him and McGee you are looking at card trouble because McKenna will be sitting on a big game for Tyrone.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 258 - 29/10/2020 15:03:24    2302849

Link

I like Paul Brennan he gives his all on the pitch but I see him as more of a squad player, someone who pushes lads in training and is a great boost in terms of energy in the second half of matches. I wouldn't be too confident if he was to become our CHB full time.

As for who you would put there instead, I think if we had McFadden-Ferry in the full back line I'd like to see McMenamin tried there, however as things stand I think we need McMenamin in the full back line. O'Baoill I think at the moment is our best option there, he had a poor game against Kerry defensively without doubt but I think he has heaps of potential. I don't think you gain much by putting Brennan in there ahead of him, personally.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1128 - 29/10/2020 15:10:49    2302855

Link

In all fairness we are not blessed with no 6s. Nobody put there hand up last week. But in saying that the way football has evolved very few teams have out and out centre half backs. I think Mc geary plays there for Tyrone and I wudnt say he's played a lot at 6. The way I look at it whoever is named there I wish him all the best and whoever it is has to be doing something right to be there.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 856 - 29/10/2020 17:07:20    2302890

Link

I felt Langan was been tried at 6 last week .

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 36 - 29/10/2020 18:48:36    2302928

Link

Just adding in here now that the League has concluded. Given what happened with Covid it was great to stay up in Div 1, the bar was clearly high when you see the likes of Mayo going down. It was probably the strongest ever Div 1 and i say that from the outlook that it had only 1 certainty for relegation (Meath), and then outside of Dubin/Kerry any of the other 5 could have gone down.

I think next year, from the word go you are looking at Roscommon and Armagh being up against it and possibly Monaghan so staying up this year could be the start of an extended stay in the Top Division for us which we have not really been famous for this past 10 years.

Finally on the league, whilst being happy with survival, its probably a competition we threw away in many regards if you think about the 3 points absolutely tossed away against Mayo and Galway at home from almost unassailable winning positions and all things considered we should have gotten at least a point in Croke Park if not won the game.

If we had done the above we would have been going to Kerry probably leading the division at throw in.

Not to Worry tho... its all about the Champer now

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 320 - 30/10/2020 16:21:39    2303120

Link