Westmeath Forum

Senior & intermediate championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How is it that Westmeath were knocked out of the Championship at the end of July and we are only at the semi final stage of a Senior Football Championship with 12 Clubs competing. Dublin won the All Ireland in October yet 2 weeks later they are at the Quarter Final Stage of their Championship and they have 32 Senior Football Clubs!

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 483 - 11/10/2016 14:54:33    1924945

Link

County board have a lot to answer for.. SHC semi-final being played under lights in the middle of the week says it all..

wd45 (Westmeath) - Posts: 207 - 11/10/2016 15:54:26    1924975

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "How is it that Westmeath were knocked out of the Championship at the end of July and we are only at the semi final stage of a Senior Football Championship with 12 Clubs competing. Dublin won the All Ireland in October yet 2 weeks later they are at the Quarter Final Stage of their Championship and they have 32 Senior Football Clubs!"
The playoff round between Garrycastle, Downs and Castledaly didnt help things, no need for it. If theres 3 teams just do scoring difference

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 251 - 11/10/2016 16:41:24    1924995

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "How is it that Westmeath were knocked out of the Championship at the end of July and we are only at the semi final stage of a Senior Football Championship with 12 Clubs competing. Dublin won the All Ireland in October yet 2 weeks later they are at the Quarter Final Stage of their Championship and they have 32 Senior Football Clubs!"
Dublin Chship is knockout !! Westmeaths County Players forced the county board hand by telling their clubs that they would not play club championship while still in Leinster chship!! County football manager didnt help things even though he was told there would be no moving of club games!!!!!! Left the county board with no option .........

smithers123 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 11/10/2016 16:46:49    1924997

Link

What's the solution wd45? Clubs refuse to play while county players are involved, county managers won't allow club matches, championship is round robin, twelve rounds until quarter final stage, dual players which is not an issue at senior level in a lot of counties, less whinging, offer solutions that are workable.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 11/10/2016 17:03:29    1925002

Link

Replying To kawaifive0:  "What's the solution wd45? Clubs refuse to play while county players are involved, county managers won't allow club matches, championship is round robin, twelve rounds until quarter final stage, dual players which is not an issue at senior level in a lot of counties, less whinging, offer solutions that are workable."
A simple solution would be to reduce the number of championship games. There are far too many under the current structure.
Could move to a structure with 3 groups of four instead of 2 groups of 6.
This would remove 2 rounds of the championship which would completely relieve the pressure on fixtures.

CB could then play all league games by mid July (Don't need county players for this)
Championship could then be run off every 2 weeks from the start of August.

ondeball (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 11/10/2016 19:09:53    1925061

Link

Replying To ondeball:  "A simple solution would be to reduce the number of championship games. There are far too many under the current structure.
Could move to a structure with 3 groups of four instead of 2 groups of 6.
This would remove 2 rounds of the championship which would completely relieve the pressure on fixtures.

CB could then play all league games by mid July (Don't need county players for this)
Championship could then be run off every 2 weeks from the start of August."
4 team group was much better and more competitive!

Redslayer (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 11/10/2016 21:43:14    1925167

Link

Structure the hurling champ like the Christy ring format. If your bet twice your gone. it would take 8 weeks to run it off.. I think its crazy that the championship starts of with 8 teams and 32 games later we are left with 4. Opinions please

wd45 (Westmeath) - Posts: 207 - 12/10/2016 15:49:30    1925418

Link

Replying To wd45:  "Structure the hurling champ like the Christy ring format. If your bet twice your gone. it would take 8 weeks to run it off.. I think its crazy that the championship starts of with 8 teams and 32 games later we are left with 4. Opinions please"
Too many football games too

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1749 - 12/10/2016 19:27:43    1925489

Link

Less games means less $ in the county board's pocket!

Intermediate hurling is the biggest joke! How 9 groups per team is acceptable I do not know.

kevdog (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 13/10/2016 12:18:43    1925670

Link

Big weekend ahead with 3 big games on predictions are

Rosemount v Tubberclair Tubberclair by 2 experience to prevail
Tpass V Athlone Athlone to start well against rusty Tpass but think tpass will reel them in. Tpass by 4
Killucan V Lomans Killucan might live with them for first half but Lomans class will tell 6-10 point winners

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 213 - 13/10/2016 13:06:19    1925690

Link

Replying To Dote:  "Big weekend ahead with 3 big games on predictions are

Rosemount v Tubberclair Tubberclair by 2 experience to prevail
Tpass V Athlone Athlone to start well against rusty Tpass but think tpass will reel them in. Tpass by 4
Killucan V Lomans Killucan might live with them for first half but Lomans class will tell 6-10 point winners"
Tubberclaire to win, they pushed Athlone hard in the final last year and that experiance will stand to them
Athlone need Ray Connellan to play as much as he can, if he plays from the start, i see Athlone winning, if not they will struggle...
St Lomans should be too strong for Killucan...

Tightropenet (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 13/10/2016 15:57:48    1925794

Link

Replying To Tightropenet:  "Tubberclaire to win, they pushed Athlone hard in the final last year and that experiance will stand to them
Athlone need Ray Connellan to play as much as he can, if he plays from the start, i see Athlone winning, if not they will struggle...
St Lomans should be too strong for Killucan..."
Killucan have a great chance against Lomans !!Lomans players involved in hurling chship!!! Paddy Dowdall injured last night in Clonkills win, Kelvin Reilly playing his third game in a week v Killucan and Sean Flanagan playing for Plunketts on Saturday . Add in two players suspended from Garrycastle game and I think Killucan will cause an upset.

Also very hard for teams to do two in a row..

smithers123 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 13/10/2016 17:45:04    1925855

Link

Replying To smithers123:  "Killucan have a great chance against Lomans !!Lomans players involved in hurling chship!!! Paddy Dowdall injured last night in Clonkills win, Kelvin Reilly playing his third game in a week v Killucan and Sean Flanagan playing for Plunketts on Saturday . Add in two players suspended from Garrycastle game and I think Killucan will cause an upset.

Also very hard for teams to do two in a row.."
That game was over after 10 mins the other night. Paddy Dowdall will be fine and the 2 suspended lads would be subs with Paddy Dowdall back at 6 anyway so I'd say Lomans are in good position.

Killucan lost to them last year 2.11 to 1.05 and Lomans had no Heslin and most of the 1.05 came before Paddy Dowdall came on.

Should be one way traffic when the game settles down.

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 213 - 14/10/2016 16:08:48    1926295

Link

Paddy Dowdall has a hamstring problem last few weeks and suffered a dead leg at match the other night if u think Clonkill will risk there Captain and County hurling Final in 9 days ur mistaken

Abu2016 (Westmeath) - Posts: 33 - 14/10/2016 20:54:03    1926351

Link

Congratulations' to Rosemount, great to see them back in senior, Tuberclair are condemned along with Tang and Shandonagh to the intermediate grade for another year, the sad thing is that only one team gets promoted each year. They are quite a few senior teams that would not be capable of winning the intermediate championship.
Big upset in senior, Athlone and Killucan to win.

Icehouse (Westmeath) - Posts: 41 - 15/10/2016 19:38:49    1926515

Link

Fancy Rosemount to rattle a few cages next year, some great young players and won't fear anyone on their side of the draw. Will be interesting to see how Tyrrellspass and Athlone goes, won't be much in it but I reckon Tyrrellspass by a couple. Loman's should have enough to see off Killucan, reckon midfield will be key. I imagine Boyle will be on Heslin which will be an interesting battle.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 232 - 15/10/2016 20:10:34    1926524

Link

There will be some craic next year in group b with Castledaly,Caulry,Maryland and Rosemount all in the same group some great local derby's for these teams next year all very familiar with each other from school and amalgamations .
Mad to see all the smaller teams surrounding moate in senior and they struggling in intermidate just shows good underage doesn't guarantee success at adult level.

Congrats Rosemount well deserved some great players and also have a very good bench to call upon Boidu Sahey was outstanding and put in a man of the match performance that tone lad playing corner forward will cause problems next year too very goof player.

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 16/10/2016 15:33:17    1926631

Link

Ya gotta hand it to Lomans in fairness. They're as close a resemblance to the great Garycastle team as we have seen. I mean some of the football today was a delight. Result was never in doubt. They're playing "soul football", freedom to express and enjoy and we are lucky to watch them. I hope they win it again, against all the referees riding them. We have had "sexy football" let's just sit back and enjoy "soul football"

IcarusWest (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 16/10/2016 23:35:22    1926762

Link

Replying To IcarusWest:  "Ya gotta hand it to Lomans in fairness. They're as close a resemblance to the great Garycastle team as we have seen. I mean some of the football today was a delight. Result was never in doubt. They're playing "soul football", freedom to express and enjoy and we are lucky to watch them. I hope they win it again, against all the referees riding them. We have had "sexy football" let's just sit back and enjoy "soul football""
while its great to be in a final i have to admit it will take a major improvement to even come close to st lomans .maybe that game
will bring us on but lomans looked a different class to any of the other teams yesterday

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1231 - 17/10/2016 11:01:50    1926854

Link