Westmeath Forum

Senior & intermediate championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Garrycastle should beat Maryland easily. Castledaly had a good win in Moate on Sunday morning could have won by double the margain Lorcan Dolan was very impressive missed the start of the game but believed he registerd 1.10 with Holloway back for them too i fancy them to beat The Downs . Kilucan won again against The Downs which was a great game and Kilucan are a force to be reckoned with and the most underated team in senior very fit and great running from deep straight into a semi now and hope they get a county final. Caulry had a big win too against Athlone so they are now safe so its going to be in my opinion kgead/malachys v maryland in the playoff to drop think Castledaly will beat the downs and even if they don't cant see Maryland beating a garrycastle badly needing points .

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 30/08/2016 17:04:48    1908238

Link

Replying To iarmhi919:  "Garrycastle should beat Maryland easily. Castledaly had a good win in Moate on Sunday morning could have won by double the margain Lorcan Dolan was very impressive missed the start of the game but believed he registerd 1.10 with Holloway back for them too i fancy them to beat The Downs . Kilucan won again against The Downs which was a great game and Kilucan are a force to be reckoned with and the most underated team in senior very fit and great running from deep straight into a semi now and hope they get a county final. Caulry had a big win too against Athlone so they are now safe so its going to be in my opinion kgead/malachys v maryland in the playoff to drop think Castledaly will beat the downs and even if they don't cant see Maryland beating a garrycastle badly needing points ."
Killucan are not straight in to the semi. They have to avoid defeat against Shamrocks first. Which of course they are well capable of doing. Not so sure about Castledaly beating The Downs, but if they do it'll be a fixture headache for the county board. Tyrrellspass likely to finish top of section B, with Lomans second. Athlone should be able to beat Kinnegad and take third.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 258 - 30/08/2016 18:02:51    1908281

Link

Is the championship going on score difference if teams finish level. Just looking at kinnegad, they are bottom of the group but level on points with Malachys what happens if both teams don't win there final games.

ger2k7 (Westmeath) - Posts: 3 - 30/08/2016 20:18:53    1908347

Link

If Kinnegad and Malachys both lose their final games, Mals will be in the relegation play-off on the head to head rule. Kinnegad beat them a few weeks ago. A play-off will not be required....

JoeytheLips (None) - Posts: 44 - 30/08/2016 21:30:13    1908394

Link

Shamrocks poised for a strong push for the Championship.
T-Pass have found there form again after a middling start,
And Lomans seem steady still the team to beat altho conceding a lot could be a problem against good sides later on,

Between these teams i reckon....
Garycastle have been very poor for such a rich history the club should be performing better hopefully they can right the ship in the next year or 2

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 31/08/2016 09:12:55    1908513

Link

Do not rule out Coarlstown/Kinnegad to beat Athlone look at how Caulry exposed them I think that are stronger than Caulry. Section could end up with a 3way play off . Athlone, Caulry and Coarlstown/Kinnegad to emerge as winners.

Icehouse (Westmeath) - Posts: 41 - 01/09/2016 23:29:41    1909345

Link

Lomans V Caulry Presuming Lomans play full team handy win
Kinnegad V Athlone WIll be tight think kinnegad will scrape it
Malachys V Tpass Malachys may be competitive for long stages but tpass will win

Killucan V Shamrocks Will be low scoring game Shamrocks to win if Kieran Gavin maintains form
Garrycastle V Maryland Garrycastle to win have a few lads back to shore up team
The Downs V Castledaly Again a tight battle but think Holloways return might see Castledaly hitting form and making semis

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 213 - 08/09/2016 15:21:51    1911899

Link

Replying To Dote:  "Lomans V Caulry Presuming Lomans play full team handy win
Kinnegad V Athlone WIll be tight think kinnegad will scrape it
Malachys V Tpass Malachys may be competitive for long stages but tpass will win

Killucan V Shamrocks Will be low scoring game Shamrocks to win if Kieran Gavin maintains form
Garrycastle V Maryland Garrycastle to win have a few lads back to shore up team
The Downs V Castledaly Again a tight battle but think Holloways return might see Castledaly hitting form and making semis"
Castledaly to make semis? If they do manage to beat The Downs, and come through a three way play off to finish third, they will most likely then play Lomans in the 1/4 final. Good luck with that prediction.
Tyrrellspass and Lomans should have comfortable wins to finish first and second. As someone said above, Athlone are not convincing. But I still think they will scrape past Kinnegad and take third. Malachy's in to relegation playoff.
Killucan and Shamrocks is a hard one to call to take top spot in that group. Killucan are scoring a lot of goals, but now they are facing a team who concede very little. Gonna call a draw, which will put Killucan first and Shamrocks second. I think The Downs will beat Castledaly and take third, with Maryland going to relegation playoff.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 258 - 09/09/2016 09:15:22    1912117

Link

Lomans, Tpass and a draw in the other game for me
Shamrocks, Garrycastle and Castleday in the other group.

Will be a good relegation playoff between Malachys and Maryland

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 251 - 09/09/2016 14:06:22    1912253

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "Castledaly to make semis? If they do manage to beat The Downs, and come through a three way play off to finish third, they will most likely then play Lomans in the 1/4 final. Good luck with that prediction.
Tyrrellspass and Lomans should have comfortable wins to finish first and second. As someone said above, Athlone are not convincing. But I still think they will scrape past Kinnegad and take third. Malachy's in to relegation playoff.
Killucan and Shamrocks is a hard one to call to take top spot in that group. Killucan are scoring a lot of goals, but now they are facing a team who concede very little. Gonna call a draw, which will put Killucan first and Shamrocks second. I think The Downs will beat Castledaly and take third, with Maryland going to relegation playoff."
Sorry I didn't consider quarter final pairing i'll go with Castledaly for quarters so and Lomans Shamrocks semi and Killucan Tpass in other. Lomans T pass final. Lomans win

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 213 - 09/09/2016 14:56:45    1912283

Link

Castledaly garrycastle and the downs will have to have playoff for q/f place. Maryland and malacys in relagation play off

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 11/09/2016 18:11:56    1912804

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "Castledaly to make semis? If they do manage to beat The Downs, and come through a three way play off to finish third, they will most likely then play Lomans in the 1/4 final. Good luck with that prediction.
Killucan and Shamrocks is a hard one to call to take top spot in that group. Killucan are scoring a lot of goals, but now they are facing a team who concede very little. Gonna call a draw, which will put Killucan first and Shamrocks second. I think The Downs will beat Castledaly and take third, with Maryland going to relegation playoff."
Killucan had no bother with goals last night Jamsie. Most folks on here are talking about Shamrocks, Tyrellspass and Lomans. Everyone seems to be ignoring Killucan. Unbeaten in group stage and now into a semi. Greville proving he should be a starter for the county.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 11/09/2016 18:16:47    1912808

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Killucan had no bother with goals last night Jamsie. Most folks on here are talking about Shamrocks, Tyrellspass and Lomans. Everyone seems to be ignoring Killucan. Unbeaten in group stage and now into a semi. Greville proving he should be a starter for the county."
For sure. I didn't see the 4 goals coming. They certainly know how to open teams up. Wasn't at the game but I heard that a couple of the goals came off bad kickouts from Shamrocks.
Killucan will probably play Lomans now in the semi and they will give them their fill of it. I think Greville chose to leave the county panel himself. There is no doubt he would be a starting player.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 258 - 11/09/2016 18:46:21    1912824

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "Shamrocks poised for a strong push for the Championship.
T-Pass have found there form again after a middling start,
And Lomans seem steady still the team to beat altho conceding a lot could be a problem against good sides later on,

Between these teams i reckon....
Garycastle have been very poor for such a rich history the club should be performing better hopefully they can right the ship in the next year or 2"
They've only been senior since 1997. Calm down. A rich recent history to be sure.

kevdog (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 11/09/2016 20:37:21    1912892

Link

Why was Killucan v Shamrocks played in Moate? If that was in Kinnegad or The Downs there would have been a bumper crowd, instead of the paultry attendance.
And the CB are complaining about gate takings!

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1749 - 11/09/2016 21:28:46    1912919

Link

Killucan v Shamrocks in Moate has everyone puzzled.
Castledaly good value for their win over The Downs - wanted it more and worked so hard in second half v gaelforce wind.
The play off is Castledaly v Garrycastle next weekend with The Downs playing winners the weekend after.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 680 - 11/09/2016 23:02:15    1912966

Link

Replying To kevdog:  "They've only been senior since 1997. Calm down. A rich recent history to be sure."
Only been senior since 1997 which isn't a bad rich recent history for a club that was formed in 1981.

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 11/09/2016 23:02:49    1912968

Link

Anyone know are the Senior and Inter finals on together this year? I know the Junior is on earlier due to the Leinster club championship so it wont be on together with the Inter as usual

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 251 - 12/09/2016 14:48:54    1913106

Link

Kilucan and Shamrocks draw which was fair enough Kilucan are some team to get goals and i think if they can keep momentem going they could win it out it would be great to see. Caulry pushed lomans close!Athlone through to qtrs after beating kinegead well. The Downs and Castledaly was a hard fought match credit to Castledaly they love a good dog fight this time of the year trew in some massive hits Alan Stone was motm. They play Garrycastle next Saturday with the winner meeting The Downs for place in last 6.Maryland v Malachys in playoff think Maryland will win and Malachys to drop. Just looking there at the possible groups for next year it could very well end up Castledaly Garrycastle Maryland Caulry and Rosemount in one group along with Kgead that would be some rivalry in that group in south Westmeath all clubs very close to each other .

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 12/09/2016 17:39:29    1913196

Link

Iarmhi 919 very interesting prediction of a senior grouping for next year. Rosemount ??? Those in Shandonagh, Tang ad Tubberclair will love that kind of thinking.

loughree (Westmeath) - Posts: 45 - 12/09/2016 21:03:22    1913267

Link