Westmeath Forum

Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So the footballers are home and away v Laois with aggregate score deciding who goes through to semi finals.

Sun 30th Dec: WH v LS in TEG Cusack Park @ 2pm
Sun 7th Jan: LS v WH in Stradbally @ 2pm

Any idea on how the lads are going - any new names or notable absentees ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 815 - 28/12/2017 19:17:19    2066101

Link

Starting 15 and subs according to Westmeath GAA Twitter account:

1. Eoin Carbery (Rosemount)
2. John Rock (Tang)
3. Sam Duncan (Milltownpass)
4. Mark McCallon (Garrycastle)
5. James Dolan (Garrycastle)
6. Gareth Carr (Shandonagh)
7. Noel Mulligan (Athlone)
8. Alan Stone (Castledaly)
9. Denis Corroon (Mullingar Shamrocks)
10. Ger Leech (C Kinnegad)
11. Luke Loughlin (The Downs)
12. Nigel Scally (Kilbeggan)
13. Callum McCormack (Maryland)
14. Kieran Martin (Maryland)
15. John Egan (Athlone)

Subs: Kevin Fagan (Ballycomoyle), Killian Daly (Shamrocks), Boidu Sayeh (Rosemount), Sean Lyster (RBridge), Ciaran Shanle (Shandonagh), Finbar Coyne (MPass), Ciaran Slevin (TPass), Jordan Marshment (Athlone)

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 815 - 28/12/2017 21:36:42    2066107

Link

Good to see Kelly trying out a few different goalies as this position has been a major problem position in recent years. I'm looking forward to seeing Luke Loughlin playing and I'm sure he will take his opportunity.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 930 - 29/12/2017 01:35:21    2066120

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Starting 15 and subs according to Westmeath GAA Twitter account:

1. Eoin Carbery (Rosemount)
2. John Rock (Tang)
3. Sam Duncan (Milltownpass)
4. Mark McCallon (Garrycastle)
5. James Dolan (Garrycastle)
6. Gareth Carr (Shandonagh)
7. Noel Mulligan (Athlone)
8. Alan Stone (Castledaly)
9. Denis Corroon (Mullingar Shamrocks)
10. Ger Leech (C Kinnegad)
11. Luke Loughlin (The Downs)
12. Nigel Scally (Kilbeggan)
13. Callum McCormack (Maryland)
14. Kieran Martin (Maryland)
15. John Egan (Athlone)

Subs: Kevin Fagan (Ballycomoyle), Killian Daly (Shamrocks), Boidu Sayeh (Rosemount), Sean Lyster (RBridge), Ciaran Shanle (Shandonagh), Finbar Coyne (MPass), Ciaran Slevin (TPass), Jordan Marshment (Athlone)"
A couple of new names in there which is welcome to see. Surprised to see Callum McCormack in there though. He is very injury prone and cant see the benefit of him playing in a O'Byrne Cup game in December. Personally speaking I dont think he has been fit for at least 5 years and cant see him figuring for WH anymore.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 513 - 29/12/2017 08:36:58    2066122

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "A couple of new names in there which is welcome to see. Surprised to see Callum McCormack in there though. He is very injury prone and cant see the benefit of him playing in a O'Byrne Cup game in December. Personally speaking I dont think he has been fit for at least 5 years and cant see him figuring for WH anymore."
I don't see much of a treat from that full forward line unless Martin is on his game,
John Egan will hardly be operating from corner forward anyway,
The best of a bad bunch tho they should be beating laois especially in mullingar this time of year

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 29/12/2017 15:52:53    2066160

Link

Unlimited subs tomorrow once from named 26 !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 815 - 29/12/2017 16:55:41    2066166

Link

Best of luck to the footballers today plenty of new faces good to see unlike the hurlers who have given no new debuts hopefully Kelly will put an attacking emphasis into these players game at home at least and give them a free run at it score advantage is the name of the game in this competition over 2 legs so no blanket/duvet defence and hopefully no new record handpassing the ball so many times inside our own half please, at times the last few years we looked as if we were trying to make forwards extinct in Westmeath

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 30/12/2017 10:26:32    2066228

Link

Nice to win and good to see that the new county board are entering the Information Age with twitter updates etc.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 896 - 30/12/2017 19:09:48    2066300

Link

Good win, down a good few players but this is the time of year trying new players. Great to see luke loughlin playing well. Can offer a new dimension at center forward if the manager continues with his attacking tactics. James Dolan yet again scores a goal against Laois they must me sick of him at this stage. Will be disappointed if we don't progress onto the next stage, Laois have been so poor in the last few years and look to be still in a downward spiral.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 30/12/2017 20:41:32    2066310

Link

Much more comfortable than the one point scoreline. Loads of changes in the second half which let Laois back into it and could have got at least a draw. Loughlin the stand out performer at 11 showing, pace, vision and eye for a score off both feet. Hard to fault anyone today - Carr and Duncan fairly quiet but didn't do anything wrong. Stone and Corroon got on plenty of ball at midfield but distribution a bit rusty. All the new kids did fine. Kieran Martin fairly quiet by his standards and Callum McCormack quiet enough although did kick a few scores. Finbar Coyne scored a classy point after coming on and looked lively with limited game time. Dolan, McCallon and Daly solid as you'd expect.
Early days but if Kevin McGuire is not playing this next year then we need to find a full back !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 815 - 30/12/2017 21:09:29    2066314

Link

Nice to get the first competitive win out of the way. Fair dues to players young and old for turning out when the rest of us are taking it very easy. Good to see Calum McCormack getting a few scores. I guess he is fit enough after all.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 31/12/2017 12:21:50    2066348

Link

Great to see Luke Loughlin back in a Westmeath jeraey; he was one player who stood out in the club championship. A pity that a few players don't seem to be available yet but a lot of them may just need a few months off to recharge the batteries.

I assume John Connellan is also not available this year? Does anyone know if Ken Casey eligible to play for Westmeath? It's a few years since he played with Offaly and I understand he is living in Mullingar. He would be worth having in the panel if he is interested in switching allegiances!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 930 - 31/12/2017 12:43:22    2066353

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "Great to see Luke Loughlin back in a Westmeath jeraey; he was one player who stood out in the club championship. A pity that a few players don't seem to be available yet but a lot of them may just need a few months off to recharge the batteries.

I assume John Connellan is also not available this year? Does anyone know if Ken Casey eligible to play for Westmeath? It's a few years since he played with Offaly and I understand he is living in Mullingar. He would be worth having in the panel if he is interested in switching allegiances!"
Ken Casey won't play for Westmeath....

Job probably doesn't suit it tho he makes Lomans tick opens room for Dempsey and covers ever blade of grass there is

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 01/01/2018 22:07:45    2066448

Link

good win v laois . wasnt at game so not able to comment . well done to all

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1349 - 02/01/2018 09:18:05    2066460

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "Great to see Luke Loughlin back in a Westmeath jeraey; he was one player who stood out in the club championship. A pity that a few players don't seem to be available yet but a lot of them may just need a few months off to recharge the batteries.

I assume John Connellan is also not available this year? Does anyone know if Ken Casey eligible to play for Westmeath? It's a few years since he played with Offaly and I understand he is living in Mullingar. He would be worth having in the panel if he is interested in switching allegiances!"
K Casey is back training with Offaly

yellowboy (Westmeath) - Posts: 67 - 02/01/2018 13:24:48    2066483

Link

Well it's confirmed. Kevin Maguire won't be available to Westmeath in 2018. His loss is huge. He has been key to Westmeath for a number of years.

maroonkingdom (Westmeath) - Posts: 41 - 03/01/2018 19:09:29    2066668

Link

Maguire a big loss for sure. Brought composure and tenacious tackling to the full back line. I guess the good old days of a big strong commanding full back are gone with most teams just playing 2 quick forwards up front. Jamie Gonoud had a great year playing mostly full back for his club and will surely be in the mix but maybe not at FB. Time to create a new topic !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 815 - 03/01/2018 20:36:06    2066677

Link

Anyone know if John Connellan is part of the set up this year? He left the panel last year which one can only assume due to a disagreement with management but surely he's back involved this year?

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 198 - 04/01/2018 16:40:06    2066822

Link

Wouldn't agree Maguire is a huge loss

Westmeath have been in need and looking for a fullback for years now, they don't seem to have one

Tho I agree the typical full forward isn't around anymore there all more free moving and not just ball winners
So I can see why the new manager has tested Killian Daly there as he seems to be a good man marker when asked to pick a man up he normally does alright.
Jamie G of Tpass is probably the best back if in the set up he should be placed in the full back position to see how he goes I dunno if he's in there tho does anyone know this??

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 04/01/2018 19:10:25    2066843

Link

No sign of Gonoud, Egan, Quinn, Boyle, conellan or Gaughan yet this year at any challenge games or Laois last sunday be interesting to see if any are in the team this weekend. Maguire massive loss to the back line he always goes about his job with minimal fuss. Paddy holloway is obviously still recovering from his bad knee injury and the St.Lomans contingent are enjoying there well earned few weeks break i imagine we'll see them for the leagure against derry. Would love to see few more of them called in like ronan o toole, david whelan etc. Its certainly a time of change in Westmeath football. I couldnt get much of a read from kellys brand of football last sunday very scrappy game lot of new faces, i reckon it will be a game or two into the league to see if he puts much emphasis on attack.

ear2ground (Westmeath) - Posts: 92 - 05/01/2018 00:16:28    2066874

Link