UK Forum

Lancashire 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yesterday's game was not one for the purists of the sport. Tactical Fouling under atrocious conditions made it a tight one. Brendans very lucky in my opinion to win that game, Mitchels kept hammering their goal in the last 10mins.

shabba (Down) - Posts: 55 - 16/09/2013 10:10:16    1482713

Link

Put the fishing rod away Shabba.

Good game played in terrible conditions, some great scores taken by both sides. It was a very physical game.

Judging by the scores in both games so far Mitchells have qualified for the semi finals.
Now onto the final game of the group, Oisin's v Brendan's in 2 weeks, winner takes all.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 16/09/2013 11:03:59    1482752

Link

Good preview of the Championship Tribesman.

You've put a lot of effort into that.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 16/09/2013 16:20:45    1483063

Link

It was a good game considering the conditions! Mitchells cleared 3/4 goal chances of the line in 1st half! Brendans were throwing everything in front of ball in last few mins! Some great blocking! There was some good solid hits and tackling from both sides, and as you get in most games some off the ball stuff from both sides. Good game for a neutral as it was close to the whistle. Good scores taken in terrible conditions! Brendans packed midfield and narrowly won more ball and breaks, thats what won them the game! I see Wolfetones beat St Lawrences 1-13 to 0-8. Thats a great result for Woltones who will be in Semi's, fantastic for them only being senior for 2 years.

tribesman_10 (Galway) - Posts: 96 - 16/09/2013 16:31:29    1483077

Link

Thanks THEWESTSAWAKE i was doing alright until i got to Wolftones, dont have a clue on any of them, chuffed they have made it out of group though, great achievement in only 2 years senior.

tribesman_10 (Galway) - Posts: 96 - 16/09/2013 16:37:19    1483086

Link

It's looks very likely now a Peters v Mitchels semi-final which should be a cracker, Brendans deserved their win yesterday their new players giving them the edge this year and will be hot favourites to beat Oisins but with weather like this it could suit this physical Oisins team and I predict a very close game down in Old Bedinas, but Oisins will need to win by 4 or 5 points to progress I think on scoring averages ? Well done Wolfetones in reaching the semi-final deserved win even tough I heard it was 16 v 13 for a lot of the game ? Is there home advantage for the semis ? How would the bookmakers call it after the weekend results ?

33233 (Donegal) - Posts: 50 - 17/09/2013 13:24:39    1483594

Link

This is how I see the teams at this stage (in order of favourtes)

1. Brendans for me must be the favourites to win not only their final group game, but the whole championship. They have picked up the league title, and beat their nearest rivals, John Mitchels twice in a few weeks. Seems they are peaking at just the right time, which has been their achilies heal in recent years. Big, strong, physical and not lacking quality... Can anyone stop them?

2. John Mitchels have all but qualified for the semi's, despite last weekends defeat. This speaks volumes about a team who at the very least will always be hard to beat. In reality though they are much more than a dogged team, they are peppered with match winners like McDermott and Molloy and on their day can beat anyone. Whoever is to win the championship will have to go through this lot.

3. St Peters have been given the good grace of a favourable draw and will cruise through to the final four. This mighn't help them much when they meet a battle hardened team from the other side. Perhaps Peters aren't of the same quality of recent years but in my opinion still have the most dangerous inside forward line in the county and have no glaring weaknesses. They too will be capable of beating anyone on their day.

4. Oisins are a much improved outfit this year and have recorded wins against all their rivals at some point this season. They are however, in a draw with this years two best teams and there is no easy way out. Their upcoming game against Brendans will be a cracker and they will be glad of home advantage. If they could get into the semi's they would be genuine contenders, I just don't see that happening though.

5. Wolfetones have qualified for the semi finals having only played one game. Somewhat surprising, but a fine achievement for the club. Now they are playing with the big guns, and whoever they meet in the semifinal will go in as hot favourites. They have done very well to get this far but for me their journey will come to an end in the semi's, lets hope they can continue to build on some great recent progress.

6. Lawrences race has now been run, and it has been a dismal championship for them. They may have been expected to beat Wolfetones, but perhaps the earlier game against Peters, in which they were hammered, knocked the stuffing out of them. In exiting the championship, they did so with two players seeing red, a lack of dicipline may have been a contributing factor in their shortcomings. (although I'm open to correction as I wasn't present at the game in question).

Not meant to be overly critical to any team, just calling it as I see it. Thoughts?

Yer Man (None) - Posts: 286 - 17/09/2013 14:53:15    1483685

Link

Good weekend of football just gone. Results probably raised a few eyebrows, but not overly surprising. Can't see any shocks happening in the championship. That's what Oisins and Wolfe Tones will need to go any further.
Mitchels and Peters will be some semi final!
Can Brendans beat one of the top 2 again?

Liverpool2 (UK) - Posts: 43 - 18/09/2013 15:52:18    1484502

Link

For me, St Brendans look like the strongest and hungriest team this year. They seem to have come good at the right time and their defeat of Mitchells last sunday was very impressive. Not alone did they effectively stop all of Mitchells main players performing, they also took some fine scores themselves, in tough conditions. The addition of the 3/4 lads around midfield and the half back line has proved very rewarding and it appears they must be favourites going forward. Oisins will prove a tough game, especially in Old Bedians, but if Brendans perform it should be an relatively easy win for them, and thus topping the group and getting a straight forward semi-final against Wolfe Tones.

St Peters look a little weak this year, and the lack of competition in their group will not benefit them in a semi final against teams that have battled to get out of the 'group of death'. Still, on their day, Peters could be a formidable force and with their inside forwards they will always be capable high scores and goals!! This year though, especially with the loss of a few of their better midfield/half back players, it will be an uphill task to reclaim the title. It the games next weekend go as they should a semi against the old foe, Mitchells, may prove a step to high.

In all there is a lot of football to play. For me, it would be an upset if it was not a Brendans/Mitchells final this year. Based on last weekends game, it doesnt look like Mitchells have enough to outmuscle Brendans around midfield, thus Brendans will be champs 2013.

Superman114 (UK) - Posts: 6 - 19/09/2013 11:57:56    1484959

Link

So going into the last games it is like this is it?...........

Peters and Wolfe Tones go through; winner as group winner

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Brendans win or draw they go through as group winners and Mitchels second

If Oisins/Brendans draw,Brendans go through as group winner and John Mitchels go through in second place

If Oisins win by 1 point, Mitchels finish top and Brendans second

If Oisins win by 3 points, Oisins go through in second (as h-2-h winners,as they will finish level on points and scoring difference) and Mitchels as group winners

If Oisins win by 4-6 points, they go through in second and Mitchels as winners

If Oisins win by 7 they go through as group winners and Mitchels in second

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this how it goes??

-------------------------------------------------------------

This group is still wide open. Oisins could yet spring a 'surprise'. If all the games I seen this year the 2 best teams were Oisins and Mitchels

derrycitymucker (Derry) - Posts: 18 - 19/09/2013 15:17:48    1485145

Link

Group is wide open. Oisins will want to make amends against brendans for the league semi final. Nothing is assured in that group. On the other side, peters will top the group. Half the county team came from them and they have been there before

shabba (Down) - Posts: 55 - 22/09/2013 16:22:30    1486717

Link

How do people see the final round of games panning out in the Lancashire senior championship today.

hough_ender (UK) - Posts: 82 - 29/09/2013 12:40:59    1491244

Link

I saw both games yesterday,St.Peters eased past Wolfe Tones after a slow start.
A massive injury list and a lot of players absent for various other reasons may put paid to Peters going any further this year but with Ross Nolan and Dessie O'Malley up front you never know.
Fair play to Wolfe Tones yesterday,game to the end and real battlers but Peters always had too much for them.

On to the St.Brendans/Oisins match..where to start?!
A deserved victory for the lads in maroon as they were fitter and sharper than Oisins.
Oisins couldn't cope with the direct running of the Brendans lads,especially the no.8,Brendans were more clinical in front of the posts and ultimately goals made the difference.

The talking point among Gaels in Manchester will be the free for all midway through the second half which was sparked by a sly dig from an Oisins player,20 men rolling about throwing punches and the ref chose not to issue a single card !!!

Disgraceful scenes like this along with inept refereeing can only damage the association.

Best of luck to all in the semi's next weekend.

manusthedyag (Donegal) - Posts: 23 - 30/09/2013 09:18:53    1491659

Link

The Oisins and St. Brendan's game was played under good conditions. Oisins looked well up for the game and a few tasty challenges were thrown by both sets of players. I thought the game was very free flowing, with some dubious decisions going against both sides, but this is championship football and nothing is ever going to be given easy.

The other game was all Peters by all accounts. It is theirs to lose I think, with the county lads of Quinn, Nolan and O'Malley making the difference for them.

shabba (Down) - Posts: 55 - 30/09/2013 10:59:29    1491753

Link

Semi Finals will be on Sunday

Nothing confirmed yet but you'd have thought both games will be played at Old Bedians.

St Peters v John Mitchels is the standout game, Mitchels will be the favourites going into it. Peters are a much changed side and are not operating at the same level as last year but they've still got very good players especially in O'Malley and Nolan in the full forward line. Whether they see enough of the ball will be the questions.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 30/09/2013 11:33:23    1491795

Link

Both semi finals of the senior championship are at Old Bedians this Sunday;

St Brendan's v Wolfe Tones @ 1pm

St Peter's v John Mitchel's @ 3pm

Is there any duel players playing for Fullen Gaels? If there is its a shame they can't be accommodated

mike_tuam (Galway) - Posts: 157 - 02/10/2013 09:29:25    1493266

Link

Any Standout Players to look out from the four sides in the semi finals? Anyone care to post a match preview??

shabba (Down) - Posts: 55 - 03/10/2013 09:30:13    1494121

Link

St Brendans that beat Mitchells compared to the St Brendans that beat Oisins, very different! No where near level of what they were playing v Mitchells. They will need to find that level to win Championship

St Brendans looked good in first half but is that because of the opposition?, however in second half the scoring was almost even i have it Brendans won 2nd half by 1 point . They will need to be consistent in both halfs against better opposition!

There was some very hard FAIR hits but there was some off the ball stuff which both teams are notorious for. How this was missed and cards not shown i will never know! Some very poor decisions.

No 8 Connolly was my MOM known for having a short temper and losing head and over carrying, he kept cool and was dominant in midfield and released. Sands scored some very impressive scores. Plant and Mulligan were solid in back line.

The good thing for GAA in Manchester is that 3/4 of those names are Manchester born 2nd generation.

I have Brendans to win v Wolfetones by 7-10 points

Peters to beat Mitchells by 3 points (not really good at this though)

tribesman_10 (Galway) - Posts: 96 - 03/10/2013 09:55:34    1494139

Link

Shabba

I've heard Brendan's have a former Down goalkeeper between the sticks.

BigTom2050 (Tipperary) - Posts: 289 - 03/10/2013 12:38:54    1494294

Link

Yeah Declan Adler. played for all britain winning county team outfield. very vocal and great kick out. good keeper

tribesman_10 (Galway) - Posts: 96 - 04/10/2013 10:30:59    1495220

Link