UK Forum

The Future Of London GAA After Covid-19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Surprised Kiernans didn't beat TCG but hard to take an awful lot away from that game as both were through anyway. I still fancy Kiernans to win it out. Looking at the Intermediate grade, I think TCG juniors lost quite a few to the first team and also probably another couple of players. Eire Og seemed to just about get over the line against Cus, expected them to win well.
Regarding the appeal against Joes, might sound harsh here but maybe Parnells should let it go? They managed one win in three and that was against a terrible Garryowen team (all due respect to them but clearly struggled this season). Therefore, they hardly fancy themselves to win the thing? Rules are rules though I guess. In the junior I'd like to see Wandsworth cause a shock and do it but fancy Harps to go all the way.

ballymoreboy34 (UK) - Posts: 4 - 27/10/2020 14:25:07    2302038

Link

Is there relegations this year?

In the last round of group games KKG didn't bother fielding and NLS after putting it up to TCG and Kiernans strangely got hammered by Mccurtains. Would have thought they'd wan't to avoid a relegation playoff but looks like they weren't bothered?

Offtheball10 (Meath) - Posts: 6 - 27/10/2020 15:02:33    2302072

Link

Senior semi finals should be interesting. Will Neasden take a weakened TCG? Fulham and Kiernans will be another close one but Fulham seem to be the form team in senior with some decent wins under their belt. Hopefully the St Joes debacle as resolved quickly and doesn't delay the intermediate championship. Going on recent results Dulwich are strong favourites. Eire Og lucky to beat Cuchullains in what was supposed to be a very poor game with a lot of passengers between both teams. St Brendans seem to have a strong side in the other group and could be dark horses. In Junior it was surprising to see Clarets beat Harlesden in what could also end up being the final pairing. Wandsworth will fancy their chances also but seem to be weak and lethargic around the middle.

whoareya (Donegal) - Posts: 51 - 27/10/2020 15:06:49    2302077

Link

Replying To Offtheball10:  "Is there relegations this year?

In the last round of group games KKG didn't bother fielding and NLS after putting it up to TCG and Kiernans strangely got hammered by Mccurtains. Would have thought they'd wan't to avoid a relegation playoff but looks like they weren't bothered?"
I have been told no relegation in hurling this year so would have assumed the football. In that case I would expect there would be no promotion either.

looking forward to a few good games at the weekend, wonder if any chance the board may stream them, i would hope the finals will be streamed. Neasden the big surprise packed this year, I had written them off myself earlier in the year seemed to be a lot of transfer out. Fancy winners of Fulham v Kiernans to go on and win it out. Would like to see Eire Og or Dulwich win out in Inter, two well ran clubs and both being steadily improving the past few years. Clarets got a few experienced heads playing with them this year, not as quick as they used be but very experienced players could help them over the line in Junior

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2013 - 29/10/2020 11:32:16    2302771

Link

All three championships seem quite open and competitive this season. At Senior Kiernans and Fulham seem to be the strongest so that semi final will be one to look forward to. Has a decision been made on the intermediate championship yet? Surely this should be done ASAP to give clubs some clarity. Its been a decent championship which bodes well in the long term as many clubs will get some encouragement so hopefully playing numbers hold up for next season. Junior is similar though Wordsworth, Clarets and Harlseden all seem quite strong. The semi between Wandsworth and Harlesden will be a big game but I expect Harps to shade it.

LondainEire (UK) - Posts: 10 - 29/10/2020 11:48:40    2302780

Link

Replying To LondainEire:  "All three championships seem quite open and competitive this season. At Senior Kiernans and Fulham seem to be the strongest so that semi final will be one to look forward to. Has a decision been made on the intermediate championship yet? Surely this should be done ASAP to give clubs some clarity. Its been a decent championship which bodes well in the long term as many clubs will get some encouragement so hopefully playing numbers hold up for next season. Junior is similar though Wordsworth, Clarets and Harlseden all seem quite strong. The semi between Wandsworth and Harlesden will be a big game but I expect Harps to shade it."
any word on whats going to happen with eth remainder of the championships, I am assuming will be run of in 2021.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2013 - 02/11/2020 13:42:12    2304409

Link

Yea looks unlikely that any further activity will be allowed to take place in the current restrictions. Even golf and tennis are prohibited according to the government guidance.

But in reviewing the brief window of activity that we had, I feel that the County board should be commended for organising the competitions in difficult and testing circumstances. Bar a minor hiccup with games being cancelled at a late stage for one weekend in October, virtually most fixtures ran smoothly. Hopefully they can carry this efficiency into 2021.

Notwithstanding, I do think that swift action is required to clear up the debacle over the St Joe's allegation of fielding ineligible players. If what is said here is found to be true, and there is conclusive photographic evidence to demonstrate that they have breached the rules, the appropriate punishment action must be taken.

If this issue continues on unchallenged and unabated, it will set a dangerous precedent in which clubs can take liberties to interpret the rules of the competition as how they deem fit. For the integrity of the competition and future competitions going forward, strong and decisive action is required - provided of course, it has been found that a breach has occurred in the first place.

SouthLDN_Spud_Murphy (UK) - Posts: 8 - 03/11/2020 11:26:32    2304732

Link

Got to agree with all three main points here.

There certainly won't be any chance of games being on for at least the lockdown period (and we don't know really know exactly how long that will be). Given the specifics of GAA in London, lads criss-crossing the place on tubes and buses, car sharing and the like for matches and training, it would be wrong to try and do so.

Given the extreme weather there has been during the period when games were allowed, to have got within a whisker of completing all the competitions is a huge credit to everyone involved. I sincerely hope we can have the hurling finals and football semis & finals, if only to have an occasion to recognise the work put in on and especially off the pitch this season above all others. (but if it is in January or February, can we please God have the stand open again!)

And yes, there needs to be a resolution of the eligibility protest, but in the right way. Absolutely conduct a proper investigation and insist on solid evidence, not just here say or rumour. If that thorough process does indeed reveal wrongdoing then the outcome needs to serve as both a punishment to the club and a deterrent to others or, as already said, the problem will persist and potentially undermine the games in the county.

These last few weeks of games have been a real boost to me at least, so my thanks again to anyone here involved in the clubs for some respite from the gloom.

Londonish (UK) - Posts: 13 - 03/11/2020 15:37:19    2304868

Link

Really enjoyed the last couple of months down at Greenford and Ruislip. There's been a real buzz amongst the clubs.

Thinking back to a few months back to get the amount of action we did get across the codes is a miracle.

Credit to the county board for their organisation. Website has been kept well up to date since games started up, hope that continues next year.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 03/11/2020 16:28:09    2304875

Link

The final stages of the 2020 championship will now be ran off in February. Disappointing but expected and understandable.

Also heard that the Parnells objection has been upheld so they will take St Joseph's place in the intermediate semi finals when they are played.

thejockey (UK) - Posts: 117 - 05/11/2020 16:32:09    2305378

Link

Replying To thejockey:  "The final stages of the 2020 championship will now be ran off in February. Disappointing but expected and understandable.

Also heard that the Parnells objection has been upheld so they will take St Joseph's place in the intermediate semi finals when they are played."
Where did you hear/see that it was February?

Justlooking123 (UK) - Posts: 10 - 05/11/2020 17:10:29    2305390

Link

Replying To thejockey:  "The final stages of the 2020 championship will now be ran off in February. Disappointing but expected and understandable.

Also heard that the Parnells objection has been upheld so they will take St Joseph's place in the intermediate semi finals when they are played."
Very disappointing if this is the case.

Why can they not be ran off in December. We're talking about 2 weekends. I'm sure they players/clubs involved would prefer to finish this year if at all possible.

Offtheball10 (Meath) - Posts: 6 - 05/11/2020 20:59:14    2305447

Link

Replying To Offtheball10:  "Very disappointing if this is the case.

Why can they not be ran off in December. We're talking about 2 weekends. I'm sure they players/clubs involved would prefer to finish this year if at all possible."
Why would it be run off in February? From what I hear the majority of players and managers of the teams involved want it finished off as soon as possible. surely this be a decision made by the teams still in the championship.

Aside from the joes obejection causing a delay, why would the other games be delayed by two months at the end of the current lockdown for no good reason? the board should strike when the iron is hot as we could be back in a lockdown in January or February again and then where do we stand.

board have done well so far in getting the season restarted, but this makes no sense.

opinion1986 (Cork) - Posts: 10 - 06/11/2020 09:24:57    2305502

Link

Def needs to be run off by the end of the year if possible, but agree that county board deserves credit for getting it to this stage - apart from one weekend where they cancelled games they did well. As another post mentioned, they finally found the log in details to the website aswell to keep that updated which is a great and long may it continue.

Joe's had to be punished, can't be at that carry on anymore!

Whats the thoughts on London Inter county next year? Will we be let have a team in competition? Will Maher come back?

LondainGael (UK) - Posts: 8 - 06/11/2020 09:51:59    2305508

Link

>>What's the thoughts on London Inter county next year?<<

I can't help wondering if the scheduling of the end of this season's championships for February in the midst of what should be National League time might suggest they've been tipped off that having London teams in the NFL/NHL is a non starter that early next year with all the uncertainty around travel and quarantine etc as well as potential further lockdowns. They can look again at the championship later on.

Londonish (UK) - Posts: 13 - 06/11/2020 10:59:32    2305519

Link

Replying To Londonish:  ">>What's the thoughts on London Inter county next year?<<

I can't help wondering if the scheduling of the end of this season's championships for February in the midst of what should be National League time might suggest they've been tipped off that having London teams in the NFL/NHL is a non starter that early next year with all the uncertainty around travel and quarantine etc as well as potential further lockdowns. They can look again at the championship later on."
It may be the case that NHL/NFL isn't happening in February for London but still don't see what it has to do with 2020 club championship. this should be a decision for the clubs to make.

If lockdown ends on 2nd December you could run the games off safely straightaway as long as players are doing keeping themselves fit. if its refixed for February sure lads would need to be out for longer in the muck in the middle of January for another pre season as the injury risk would be worse because of the longer lay off which isn't fair on the players.

The Christmas period is always a time when many in London move on to new locations and I know our club has two boys moving back home at Christmas. now they are commited to come back to play the game but with the travel restrictions that might not be easy.

opinion1986 (Cork) - Posts: 10 - 06/11/2020 12:14:59    2305539

Link

I don't think you can just run off the remaining games following 2nd December (if it's not extended).

We're talking latter stages of the competitions. Clubs will want to make sure players are in shape.

Scheduling for February and allowing a run in period for training and challenge matches is sensible.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 06/11/2020 14:18:29    2305586

Link

Replying To WestAwake88:  "I don't think you can just run off the remaining games following 2nd December (if it's not extended).

We're talking latter stages of the competitions. Clubs will want to make sure players are in shape.

Scheduling for February and allowing a run in period for training and challenge matches is sensible."
I actually think Clubs and players would rather just run it off in the two weeks after this lockdown, again if its not extended. Waiting until February just prolongs the process and realistically its another long training period without matches (Other then challenge matches) Just get it over with, everyone should realistically be in the same boat and it will be up to whoever works hardest on their own during lockdown, you can then let the clubs have a proper break before the next season starts.

Justlooking123 (UK) - Posts: 10 - 06/11/2020 14:44:51    2305592

Link

Replying To WestAwake88:  "I don't think you can just run off the remaining games following 2nd December (if it's not extended).

Scheduling for February and allowing a run in period for training and challenge matches is sensible."
That's the problem, if you fix games for the 5/6 and 12/13 of December, clubs will have no time to train together and what guarantees do you have lockdown will be over?

Say lockdown is extended by a week and you move the games back, then if it's extended 2 weeks we are at Christmas, so much uncertainty at present.

Maybe they have decided to review the lockdown situation in January, if its all over and looking good, they can give the clubs 4-6 weeks notice to prepare for championship semi finals.

Not ideal for anyone but this is a unique situation.

thejockey (UK) - Posts: 117 - 06/11/2020 14:48:36    2305594

Link

From speaking to a good number of players and team managers most accept this isn't a normal year and because of that they accept the preparation won't be ideal in any event. most teams are happy that they have trained hard enough and with a 4 week interruption, would be prepared to go back and play out a semi final and final. lads won't be out of shape in 4 weeks as they will be ticking over doing something and every club will be in the same boat.

if you really think there is a manager or player in London at this moment in time who wants 6 weeks pre-season in January/feb with a number of challenge matches in between, I have yet to meet them. not to mention the difficulty of getting an evenly matched challenge match in then anyway.

what they are asking the board to do is to provisionally arrange the postponed matches for December. and if lockdown is extended then so be it and you're in to January/feb for the Plan B.

its the same for all other grass roots kids and adult competitions all back on Sat 5th December and ( i have a young boy playing soccer and he has a match on 5th Dec confirmed as it stands).

the vast majority of PLAYERS do NOT want 4-6 weeks in January and February doing another pre-season for the sake of one, max 2 games (and that's not down playing the importance of the game). the appetite on this occasion for it isn't there.

It goes back to that issue again of the games to training balance that cripples the GAA club player. not to mention the cost of hiring floodlit pitches on clubs.

opinion1986 (Cork) - Posts: 10 - 06/11/2020 15:47:13    2305614

Link