Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

10 competitive games played under this manager and 10 defeats. We have ZERO defensive structure and have conceded 23 goals in these games. When we played Offaly in the last league match, we were unlucky to lose by a point. Yesterday we lost by 11 points. Therefore we are going backwards at a rate of knots. I agree with Sligonian that the manager is not the only problem. Nonetheless we need to urgently change the manager. Otherwise I fear we will not win any games next year either, even in division 4!

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 24/06/2019 16:23:26    2200030

Link

If Quinn and McKenna had stayed on the pitch a little longer they could've made all the difference

sligosham (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 24/06/2019 17:33:44    2200091

Link

Shocking performance yesterday againat a poor offaly team. Defintely not all the managers fault but played like a team of individuals. No structure or belief. Defence was very poor. No on field leaders is a worrying site. Think sligo Gaa needs a complete overhaul starting with the county board. Not sure how we cant be competitive especially when you see Roscommon this year. Questions need to be asked.

SuperSligo (Sligo) - Posts: 24 - 24/06/2019 19:35:17    2200184

Link

Shocking performance yesterday againat a poor offaly team. Defintely not all the managers fault but played like a team of individuals. No structure or belief. Defence was very poor. No on field leaders is a worrying site. Think sligo Gaa needs a complete overhaul starting with the county board. Not sure how we cant be competitive especially when you see Roscommon this year. Questions need to be asked.

SuperSligo (Sligo) - Posts: 24 - 24/06/2019 20:50:57    2200260

Link

I honestly don't know what games ye guys are watching sometimes. This might not be popular but here goes.

"No defensive structure" - this is simply not true. Time and time again you can see the defense getting set up but the simple fact is opponents seems to easily break or evade tackles and then all hell breaks loose. Some of the decision making by defenders then has been crazy though it seems to be an epidemic in intercounty football - several examples recently of defenders and keepers making crazy decisions and opening up goalscoring chances rather than settling to concede a point. A symptom of blanket defending of recent years I believe....the art of defending properly has been seriously compromised. You can see the few lads who can tackle in our defense 1 v 1....this simply has to improve. We could do with a few bigger players in defense also. Overall though to say there's no structure is not really right.

"Poor Offaly team" - again this is just wrong. Offaly were the better team and should have beaten (Division 1) Meath in their previous game. They were pretty unfortunate in the early rounds of the league and should realistically have been competing for promotion instead of battling relegation. They're a decent outfit with many players with several years of intercounty experience. They also have the luxury of leaving their best scorer on the edge of the square all through the game.

Taylor was given a hospital pass taking this job on this year. Last year it took a half time revolt by the players to spark a defeat of Derry which saved us and put them down. Obliterated by Galway in the championship, well beaten at home in the qualifiers and then you lose Donovan, Harrison, McDonnell, Kyle Cawley, Cian Breheny to start with. The potential of Red Óg Murphy whipped away. Also without Ewing and Keelan Cawley, two of the remaining experienced defenders, for most of the league and then Liam Gaughan as well. Could any manager in the country have done much better? I'm not sure. If you take 6-8 players out of any team (bar Dublin) they'll struggle. That the championship results were certainly no worse this year than last is being missed by many.

It's not acceptable but it kind of is where we are. Need to hit the ground running next year in a big way.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 25/06/2019 12:04:04    2200536

Link

Its clear this season has been a disaster and there is certain factors that were beyond Taylor's control such as the losing of so many players. But it was clear from the get go he was not the best man for the job, no previous experience as a club manager, not even going for the job in the first place, to name but a few. Then you have other players not committing because of him and other such issues. We in Sligo are not blessed with 40+ intercounty standard players, we need every player committing to the county as much as possible, I acknowledge that every player cannot commit for a plethora of reasons but the drop off this year was no coincidence.

Another problem was the game plan, was there a clear game plan? In the first half against Galway we defended very well, frustrated them and worked as a unit but then for the Offaley game according to reports we abandoned this system and they get in for 2 early goals and we're facing an uphill battle well before HT, surely the sensible thing to do was to build on the first half display against Galway and work it from there, be in the game at HT and review the plan/system then.
It's clear Taylor will not be stepping down, we have a new CB (well for the most part) from the one that appointed him and the onus is now on them to do the right thing and relieve him of his duties. The question then is where do you go from there? It's quite obvious we still do not have the funds for a high profile outside man (Fergal O'Donnell, Malachy O'Rourke etc) there's not too many local candidates pulling up trees, apart from the obvious and Brendan Leonard will know O'Hara, his regime and whether he is up to the task better than most. Or are we yet again back to the outside candidate with no managerial experience but is married to Kieran McGeeneys wifes first cousin's cat, in the ilk of Corey and Carew.
A lot of questions remain unanswered

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 25/06/2019 15:24:46    2200677

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "I honestly don't know what games ye guys are watching sometimes. This might not be popular but here goes.

"No defensive structure" - this is simply not true. Time and time again you can see the defense getting set up but the simple fact is opponents seems to easily break or evade tackles and then all hell breaks loose. Some of the decision making by defenders then has been crazy though it seems to be an epidemic in intercounty football - several examples recently of defenders and keepers making crazy decisions and opening up goalscoring chances rather than settling to concede a point. A symptom of blanket defending of recent years I believe....the art of defending properly has been seriously compromised. You can see the few lads who can tackle in our defense 1 v 1....this simply has to improve. We could do with a few bigger players in defense also. Overall though to say there's no structure is not really right.

"Poor Offaly team" - again this is just wrong. Offaly were the better team and should have beaten (Division 1) Meath in their previous game. They were pretty unfortunate in the early rounds of the league and should realistically have been competing for promotion instead of battling relegation. They're a decent outfit with many players with several years of intercounty experience. They also have the luxury of leaving their best scorer on the edge of the square all through the game.

Taylor was given a hospital pass taking this job on this year. Last year it took a half time revolt by the players to spark a defeat of Derry which saved us and put them down. Obliterated by Galway in the championship, well beaten at home in the qualifiers and then you lose Donovan, Harrison, McDonnell, Kyle Cawley, Cian Breheny to start with. The potential of Red Óg Murphy whipped away. Also without Ewing and Keelan Cawley, two of the remaining experienced defenders, for most of the league and then Liam Gaughan as well. Could any manager in the country have done much better? I'm not sure. If you take 6-8 players out of any team (bar Dublin) they'll struggle. That the championship results were certainly no worse this year than last is being missed by many.

It's not acceptable but it kind of is where we are. Need to hit the ground running next year in a big way."
Thank God for someone with a bit of cop on. Serious rubbish on this forum . Even a Leitrim person is giving us advice. Leitrim are a long time in Div 4, favourites to go back down next year, got 2 good hammerings in the Championship this year but hey presto they are now giving us advice. Carlow did the same last Feb and their bubble soon burst. For those that want to scrap the Co Board, we had a democratic election of a new chairman this year, following from a democratic election for a secretary last year. Both positions were contested. These people are proposed and voted by the clubs. There will be another convention this Dec for anyone that thinks they can do better..Get rid of Taylor....... Mayo have done that to their last 2 managers, Are they any further on ?. Some people mention our good underage structure.. We won a Connacht minor title 51 years ago and never an U.21.. Wow that's brilliant isn't it. Taylor has introduced young lads whose basic skills are terrible. Unable to use both feet, totally one sided for hand passing. That's not his fault. Our coaching is terrible but there are people there who seem to be unanswerable to anyone. These are the people I have issues with. I don't know of one player who has opted out cos Taylor is the manager. I attend a lot of games every week. A lot are tight games, exciting but shocking poor standard. O Hara and Mc Gowan also need to be sacked as Tourlestrane have done nothing in Connacht after winning 3 titles in a dreadfully poor quality, poorly attended Sligo Championship. If Taylor should be dismissed then surely the other 2 should also go.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 26/06/2019 10:51:30    2201124

Link

Replying To sligosham:  "If Quinn and McKenna had stayed on the pitch a little longer they could've made all the difference"
If you say so...

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 26/06/2019 15:44:43    2201307

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Thank God for someone with a bit of cop on. Serious rubbish on this forum . Even a Leitrim person is giving us advice. Leitrim are a long time in Div 4, favourites to go back down next year, got 2 good hammerings in the Championship this year but hey presto they are now giving us advice. Carlow did the same last Feb and their bubble soon burst. For those that want to scrap the Co Board, we had a democratic election of a new chairman this year, following from a democratic election for a secretary last year. Both positions were contested. These people are proposed and voted by the clubs. There will be another convention this Dec for anyone that thinks they can do better..Get rid of Taylor....... Mayo have done that to their last 2 managers, Are they any further on ?. Some people mention our good underage structure.. We won a Connacht minor title 51 years ago and never an U.21.. Wow that's brilliant isn't it. Taylor has introduced young lads whose basic skills are terrible. Unable to use both feet, totally one sided for hand passing. That's not his fault. Our coaching is terrible but there are people there who seem to be unanswerable to anyone. These are the people I have issues with. I don't know of one player who has opted out cos Taylor is the manager. I attend a lot of games every week. A lot are tight games, exciting but shocking poor standard. O Hara and Mc Gowan also need to be sacked as Tourlestrane have done nothing in Connacht after winning 3 titles in a dreadfully poor quality, poorly attended Sligo Championship. If Taylor should be dismissed then surely the other 2 should also go."
You're ninety percent right but (although sarcastically) saying O'Hara should be sacked on that basis isn't right. You're comparing apples and oranges. O'Hara took a winning club, yes. Now I'm no huge O'Hara fan (obviously was a player), but in my mind he has made them a better team and installed something the rest of us clubs can only dream of out there. He has gone and done what any manager who has aspirations of managing a county team should do. Probably still short experience but compared to Taylor, he has a mountain more. That's not to say he wants it or ever did. Or to say he'd be successful.

I barely know Paul Taylor. I'm sure he's a nice guy. He was a hell of a player. Could be a really good manager for all I know. I'm not here to discredit him. Just ask the questions as to whether he is the right man or not at this time. Is this a time for an inexperienced manager managing an inexperienced group of players?

So I'll ask you, the rest of the guys here and ask the CB to ask themselves these questions:
1) Is and was Paul under qualified for this job?
2) Has Paul Taylor got the most out of this group?
3) Do you genuinely feel Paul Taylor will improve the team significantly and if not, should we wait a year to find out?
4) Are the majority of the players happy with him as manager?
5) Are we likely to get any players back with Paul Taylor as manager?
6) Are there viable better options out there?

Like I said, maybe he is the man for the job. But let's not castigate a lad for asking the question.

P.S. To the fella from Leitrim, spare us the advice yet for another year or two.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 26/06/2019 16:21:47    2201342

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "You're ninety percent right but (although sarcastically) saying O'Hara should be sacked on that basis isn't right. You're comparing apples and oranges. O'Hara took a winning club, yes. Now I'm no huge O'Hara fan (obviously was a player), but in my mind he has made them a better team and installed something the rest of us clubs can only dream of out there. He has gone and done what any manager who has aspirations of managing a county team should do. Probably still short experience but compared to Taylor, he has a mountain more. That's not to say he wants it or ever did. Or to say he'd be successful.

I barely know Paul Taylor. I'm sure he's a nice guy. He was a hell of a player. Could be a really good manager for all I know. I'm not here to discredit him. Just ask the questions as to whether he is the right man or not at this time. Is this a time for an inexperienced manager managing an inexperienced group of players?

So I'll ask you, the rest of the guys here and ask the CB to ask themselves these questions:
3) Do you genuinely feel Paul Taylor will improve the team significantly and if not, should we wait a year to find out?

Like I said, maybe he is the man for the job. But let's not castigate a lad for asking the question.

P.S. To the fella from Leitrim, spare us the advice yet for another year or two."
Yes I am pulling the p..s with regards to Tourlestrane Mgt

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 26/06/2019 18:02:10    2201380

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "You're ninety percent right but (although sarcastically) saying O'Hara should be sacked on that basis isn't right. You're comparing apples and oranges. O'Hara took a winning club, yes. Now I'm no huge O'Hara fan (obviously was a player), but in my mind he has made them a better team and installed something the rest of us clubs can only dream of out there. He has gone and done what any manager who has aspirations of managing a county team should do. Probably still short experience but compared to Taylor, he has a mountain more. That's not to say he wants it or ever did. Or to say he'd be successful.

P.S. To the fella from Leitrim, spare us the advice yet for another year or two."
O'Hara has far more managerial ability than Taylor, his main weakness being that he is hot headed thereby losing his focus. As an organizer of setting up teams to be competitive I believe that he is probably the best in the county currently. Taylor displays no organizational ability to me, and I cannot see any coherent plan or structure to his play. Any future manager is severely handicapped by the caliber of player coming through courtesy of the coaching system in the county for the past 20 years. If proof is needed ,Castlebar this evening will give you the answer. Not one player in the defence line last Sunday knew how to tackle with aggression and steel. We unfortunately don't have midfielders of a county standard at the moment ,but that could change. Our attack if well coached is better than average. But overall it looks to me that the County Board do not have a clue what is needed nowadays to be competitive at inter county level at all age grades.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 26/06/2019 21:42:23    2201477

Link

Hammered out the gate in Castlebar. Suppose we are as well to sack all of that Mgt team, kit man and water boys as well to go along with Taylor and the Co Board. .....Or we could say the writing was on the wall with the way we conceded goals against Roscommon and didn't learn.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 26/06/2019 21:47:28    2201482

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Hammered out the gate in Castlebar. Suppose we are as well to sack all of that Mgt team, kit man and water boys as well to go along with Taylor and the Co Board. .....Or we could say the writing was on the wall with the way we conceded goals against Roscommon and didn't learn."
Senior team had a 0% win record. Minors won 3 out of 5 in Connacht championship and had a good run in Ulster league. No comparison.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 278 - 27/06/2019 09:05:13    2201575

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Hammered out the gate in Castlebar. Suppose we are as well to sack all of that Mgt team, kit man and water boys as well to go along with Taylor and the Co Board. .....Or we could say the writing was on the wall with the way we conceded goals against Roscommon and didn't learn."
If you were there, and gave a fair appraisal, you wouldn't say we were "hammered out the gate". I know you're joking about the rest of it. Management did a brilliant job here - one of the best prepared underage sides I've ever seen in Sligo. Last night the lads just didn't perform up to what they're capable of....despite best efforts the venue bull clearly impacted them. They misplaced passes, took wrong options and gave away more ball than they've probably done all season. It was only a small slip in levels but it cost a few really poor goals and a crucial chance when 2 v 1 and only 6 behind. Make no mistake - we beat ourselves here. I'm still of the opinion we're better than that Mayo side and several sides who'll make the last 8 but that's all for nothing now. To be honest I'm heartbroken over the whole thing.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 27/06/2019 09:14:06    2201577

Link

I didn't say sack the county board. Only asking the questions? Can you give an honest assessment of them?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 27/06/2019 09:49:09    2201587

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "If you were there, and gave a fair appraisal, you wouldn't say we were "hammered out the gate". I know you're joking about the rest of it. Management did a brilliant job here - one of the best prepared underage sides I've ever seen in Sligo. Last night the lads just didn't perform up to what they're capable of....despite best efforts the venue bull clearly impacted them. They misplaced passes, took wrong options and gave away more ball than they've probably done all season. It was only a small slip in levels but it cost a few really poor goals and a crucial chance when 2 v 1 and only 6 behind. Make no mistake - we beat ourselves here. I'm still of the opinion we're better than that Mayo side and several sides who'll make the last 8 but that's all for nothing now. To be honest I'm heartbroken over the whole thing."
This is garbage talk and this sort of attitude is the reason we haven't won a meaningful underage trophy in donkeys years. If we were one of the best prepared sides as you say we wouldn't have conceded 4 goals from the same player. How would you define "hammered out the gate"

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 27/06/2019 12:13:34    2201655

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "If you were there, and gave a fair appraisal, you wouldn't say we were "hammered out the gate". I know you're joking about the rest of it. Management did a brilliant job here - one of the best prepared underage sides I've ever seen in Sligo. Last night the lads just didn't perform up to what they're capable of....despite best efforts the venue bull clearly impacted them. They misplaced passes, took wrong options and gave away more ball than they've probably done all season. It was only a small slip in levels but it cost a few really poor goals and a crucial chance when 2 v 1 and only 6 behind. Make no mistake - we beat ourselves here. I'm still of the opinion we're better than that Mayo side and several sides who'll make the last 8 but that's all for nothing now. To be honest I'm heartbroken over the whole thing."
I was there. We were hammered out the gate. That's the reality. Lost the first half against the wind, lost the 2nd half with the wind. Let in 5 goals.... it's heartbreaking for that team not to make the Connacht Final cos they had a good year and a Connacht Final plus qualifiers would have been huge experience. If Roscommon had beaten us and we then had to play Galway do you think we would have got home advantage like what happened yesterday evening. Not a chance....
The Co Board are fine, we elect them every year. They did great work with Scarden. Results would improve we were told now that we had our own facilities. They were correct. The Hurlers did well. Footballers went the opposite way. They are extremely unambitious when it comes to coaching. Most development squads are trained by ordinary Joe soaps. Good honest men who are trying their best but with no experience of managing a young team. How could they cos they never won anything cos we in Sligo have a poor record in all competitions. We should burst the bank to get Kevin Johnson involved. He is a Sligo man, won a Mayo Championship, got them to a Connaught Final and was also involved with Dev teams in Galway. That's only one example of a player. What about Charlie Harrison, he is a former all star and works within the association. There are more out there. All we are doing at present is providing a convere belt of poorly coached players reaching the Senior team and then we can't figure out why we are so poor, so we say sack the manager. We will be in the very same situation this time next year with next year's minor team. Until we put someone in at Co Board level with a vision for the future, then we can get used to losing every year. The coaching officer, games promotion officer, Dev chair, Co Chair as ND treasurer need to sit down and draw up a plan. That won't happen cos our Coaching Officer's are accountable to no one and go not get re elected.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 27/06/2019 12:21:06    2201661

Link

I don't think anyone told Sligo that they were already into the semi final regardless of the U17 result v us last Friday? Playing a full strength team and putting in a huge effort to over turn our healthy half lead backfired for Sligo management especially when that semi final was five days later. Letting a well rested Mayo back into the championship was the last thing Sligo should have done, the chance of beating Mayo twice in one year was slim and more so when the game was played in MacHale Park.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2786 - 27/06/2019 13:04:06    2201684

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I was there. We were hammered out the gate. That's the reality. Lost the first half against the wind, lost the 2nd half with the wind. Let in 5 goals.... it's heartbreaking for that team not to make the Connacht Final cos they had a good year and a Connacht Final plus qualifiers would have been huge experience. If Roscommon had beaten us and we then had to play Galway do you think we would have got home advantage like what happened yesterday evening. Not a chance....
The Co Board are fine, we elect them every year. They did great work with Scarden. Results would improve we were told now that we had our own facilities. They were correct. The Hurlers did well. Footballers went the opposite way. They are extremely unambitious when it comes to coaching. Most development squads are trained by ordinary Joe soaps. Good honest men who are trying their best but with no experience of managing a young team. How could they cos they never won anything cos we in Sligo have a poor record in all competitions. We should burst the bank to get Kevin Johnson involved. He is a Sligo man, won a Mayo Championship, got them to a Connaught Final and was also involved with Dev teams in Galway. That's only one example of a player. What about Charlie Harrison, he is a former all star and works within the association. There are more out there. All we are doing at present is providing a convere belt of poorly coached players reaching the Senior team and then we can't figure out why we are so poor, so we say sack the manager. We will be in the very same situation this time next year with next year's minor team. Until we put someone in at Co Board level with a vision for the future, then we can get used to losing every year. The coaching officer, games promotion officer, Dev chair, Co Chair as ND treasurer need to sit down and draw up a plan. That won't happen cos our Coaching Officer's are accountable to no one and go not get re elected."
From what I hear, there are no shortage of coaches. That's not to say they are coaches of good enough ilk but I know some are doing very good work.
Bandying about names like Kevin Johnson is all well and good but nothing to say he would come or that he hasn't been as asked. I think we should get Jim Gavin down to run our U-13 development but I doubt it will happen.
I'm not going to hammer our coaches based on one game. That minor team won a Manning Cup last year and were excellent up until last night. They have won games and bar last night have looked fit to match anyone.
Also, I think it has nothing to do with whether Paul Taylor is the right man for the job or not. He has his job to do, the coaches have theirs. However, theirs is for a lot less reward and should therefore probably face less scrutiny. All for getting the right guys in coaching but the lads who are there deserve credit for the time they put in.

I can see what your point is. The players aren't there to compete with the top 12 or 14 sides. And you're right, they aren't. And that is not Taylor's fault.
But would we be closer with a guy who could get players back(e.g., J. Kelly, Brehony, Gaughan, K. Cawley, McDonnell)? Who has serious experience in coaching teams? Maybe another guy would get none of those guys back. Maybe Taylor can. Maybe another manager would be no better tactically with all his experience. But I wouldn't crucify a man for asking the question as to whether or not there are better candidates in the county or outside to 1) Get us out of Div 4 immediately and 2) Get players back and a system in place whereby we don't expect driving to Tullamore that we will be most likely out at the second stage of the qualifiers. That was the worst part of all of this. The acceptance that we are ot good enough. Maybe Taylor can turn it around. Maybe. In transition or not, we should ask the question.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 27/06/2019 13:30:44    2201693

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I was there. We were hammered out the gate. That's the reality. Lost the first half against the wind, lost the 2nd half with the wind. Let in 5 goals.... it's heartbreaking for that team not to make the Connacht Final cos they had a good year and a Connacht Final plus qualifiers would have been huge experience. If Roscommon had beaten us and we then had to play Galway do you think we would have got home advantage like what happened yesterday evening. Not a chance....
The Co Board are fine, we elect them every year. They did great work with Scarden. Results would improve we were told now that we had our own facilities. They were correct. The Hurlers did well. Footballers went the opposite way. They are extremely unambitious when it comes to coaching. Most development squads are trained by ordinary Joe soaps. Good honest men who are trying their best but with no experience of managing a young team. How could they cos they never won anything cos we in Sligo have a poor record in all competitions. We should burst the bank to get Kevin Johnson involved. He is a Sligo man, won a Mayo Championship, got them to a Connaught Final and was also involved with Dev teams in Galway. That's only one example of a player. What about Charlie Harrison, he is a former all star and works within the association. There are more out there. All we are doing at present is providing a convere belt of poorly coached players reaching the Senior team and then we can't figure out why we are so poor, so we say sack the manager. We will be in the very same situation this time next year with next year's minor team. Until we put someone in at Co Board level with a vision for the future, then we can get used to losing every year. The coaching officer, games promotion officer, Dev chair, Co Chair as ND treasurer need to sit down and draw up a plan. That won't happen cos our Coaching Officer's are accountable to no one and go not get re elected."
For the record, I agree Coaching Officers should be accountable

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 27/06/2019 13:34:53    2201695

Link