Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Interesting Junior team, great to see players from some of the so called weaker clubs involved and Im sure it can be quite difficultto get lads to commit to this level. Interested to see how that Callaghan lad in goals goes, was a super young soccer keeper a few years ago.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 17/05/2019 15:56:50    2184980

Link

I remember that day well. It never stopped raining and galway could not miss. I'm hoping (and praying) for them to come without their scoring boots sunday

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 17/05/2019 20:28:48    2185052

Link

Where would be the best place to park tomorrow. Any pubs within walking distance of ground for the pint beforehand. Thanks

jj99 (None) - Posts: 165 - 18/05/2019 08:58:56    2185125

Link

Replying To jj99:  "Where would be the best place to park tomorrow. Any pubs within walking distance of ground for the pint beforehand. Thanks"
Probably Sligo Park Hotel is the handiest spot for a pint. About 5 mins walk from the bar to the gates of Markievicz Park

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 18/05/2019 11:15:42    2185150

Link

I heard a few good yarns about the Junior Set up. The best is they named a player on the bench who can't even play as he's too young. The manager has just picked his club players really. Farce.

Regards the senior game. Don't expect the team to line out as selected. It will be closer to the team I posted earlier. The handicap is -9. I feel we will beat this and come out of the game with lots of positives.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 18/05/2019 12:33:15    2185166

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "I heard a few good yarns about the Junior Set up. The best is they named a player on the bench who can't even play as he's too young. The manager has just picked his club players really. Farce.

Regards the senior game. Don't expect the team to line out as selected. It will be closer to the team I posted earlier. The handicap is -9. I feel we will beat this and come out of the game with lots of positives."
The junior team is a joke. There is a player named and will probably play, that can't make his own clubs starting 15. The team reminds me a lot of the U.20 team last year which was dominated by players from one club..

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 18/05/2019 19:32:20    2185287

Link

Sligo 0-7 Galway 3-11, the general consensus is of disappointment, the main one being Sligofans I spoke to feel Galway not at their best, not set up to push on or really go at Sligo and yet still beat us by 13pts. Taylor as expected talked about vital experience for the younger lads, 9 of our u21s from 2017 started but there comes a point when you have to be close to winning, 13pts isn't close enough for me. Were we too conservative in the 1st half with the wind. More wides than scores is not a good look. Are we showing improvement? growth, but if we are honest from league to championship with the training ramping up isn't that kinda inevitable.

Sligofans are starting to vote with their feet, only 5,000 at the game is very poor, the County Board can continue running the show into the ground as much as they want but lots of people will eventually turn away.

We are in qualifiers round 2 in 5 weekends time.

Roscommon u17s beat Galway in the league part of the championship to blow that wide open, our u17s did very well in the Ulster league, thats our most important competition this year, we have to show well hopefully starting against Galway on Friday.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 20/05/2019 00:23:56    2185716

Link

I was at the match on Sunday. The scoreboard was unfair to us as we didn't deserve to lose by 13. They got a poxy goal off the post and into a Galway players hand, while we hit the post twice and got nothing out of it. Likewise their 3rd goal was soft due to a Cummins error. In fairness he played well otherwise. However we were never at the races and it was only a training spin for Galway. We created nothing and 2 of the full forward line had a serious lack of pace. Ocean fm on the way home tried to paint a bright picture but I don't know what game they were at. Tommy Breheny did clear up one thing by saying that any lad named on a championship panel will not get his J1 Visa until the Co team has exited the championship and he named players that opted out of the panel as they were going to the States. Very difficult to blame lads for going abroad. The Shamrock Gaels team also lost the junior match before hand. In the Cumann na mbunscoil exhibition game it was very hard and disheartening to see us getting another thumping there. You might say that they are only National School kids but the skill level on the Sligo Selection was woeful. Managers can be blamed, systems can be blamed but if you haven't got players with good skills, can use both feet and hands all the systems in the world won't cover those cracks

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 21/05/2019 15:17:24    2186330

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I was at the match on Sunday. The scoreboard was unfair to us as we didn't deserve to lose by 13. They got a poxy goal off the post and into a Galway players hand, while we hit the post twice and got nothing out of it. Likewise their 3rd goal was soft due to a Cummins error. In fairness he played well otherwise. However we were never at the races and it was only a training spin for Galway. We created nothing and 2 of the full forward line had a serious lack of pace. Ocean fm on the way home tried to paint a bright picture but I don't know what game they were at. Tommy Breheny did clear up one thing by saying that any lad named on a championship panel will not get his J1 Visa until the Co team has exited the championship and he named players that opted out of the panel as they were going to the States. Very difficult to blame lads for going abroad. The Shamrock Gaels team also lost the junior match before hand. In the Cumann na mbunscoil exhibition game it was very hard and disheartening to see us getting another thumping there. You might say that they are only National School kids but the skill level on the Sligo Selection was woeful. Managers can be blamed, systems can be blamed but if you haven't got players with good skills, can use both feet and hands all the systems in the world won't cover those cracks"
I thought the Shamrock Gaels team won it handy or was it them in the Sligo jerseys.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 21/05/2019 15:45:48    2186339

Link

5 weeks is a long time to wait for round 2 of qualifiers. The challenge game circuit and training will be bit of a slog.
Word is there is a push to try keep some of players heading stateside.New York is only place county panelists cant go and rest of North America will happily take them so don't know what the radio is on about. Boston meant to be the destination for several panellists. Hard to blame players who could be gone and back again for championship in August .
Who would we want to get out of the Qualifiers? Hope that Waterford and London meet and we get winners??
The best football on Sunday was the Galway Junior side...we'd happily take a number of their players for senior squad. Their physicality and movement were massive. Disappointing display by what is probably a venture worth sticking with. There needs to be a better spread of teams represented surely though word is that players didn't want to know. Shouldn't be open to under 20s though.Make it a squad for players finished under 20 that need couple of years to develop and throw in a couple of solid older club players with them.
Agree with EoinOg on national school stuff. Looks like coaches are sent in to secondary schools but its younger they need to be targetted.

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 61 - 22/05/2019 11:36:36    2186570

Link

upon reflection you have to admire the players the way they defended, in the first half especially, the goals as fortutious
as they were killed the game as a contest. Remember this is a very young team, (10 players making their first championship start) and they will need time. One thing that struck me was our lack of a natural corner forward, Murphy and O'Connor as good & stylish as they both are, are better suited to a play making centre forward role both are not blessed with blistering pace and Pat Hughes is a target man the likes of A Kyle Cawley, Stephen Coen or a David Kelly in years gone by would have been a massive lift. Hopefully Kyle will be back in next year. are there any other cornoer forwards of that ilk out there in the county? Young Hailstones from SG perhaps. I thought Eamonn Kilgallon did well in goals, although he made some errors he recovered from them especially the save with his feet after a short kick out going astray, that game will have done him the world of good, I can seeing him being our keeper for the next 10 years or until Cadden returns home at least. Just to correct Tommy B, he may be correct on the J1 statement but most young men going over to play football will be on holiday visas as there is little or no paperwork involved and an esta only takes 48 hours approval so as soon is their county is knocked out the can be in the states in a matter of days (take Diarmuid O'Connor last year as an example) especially as any 'work' they will be doing, will be off the books anyways. So the worry about some of our young players heading off before the qualifiers is very much real. As pointed out already, regulations to play in Boston is not as strict as NY, Philly and Chicago are also viable options.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 22/05/2019 14:09:57    2186619

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "upon reflection you have to admire the players the way they defended, in the first half especially, the goals as fortutious
as they were killed the game as a contest. Remember this is a very young team, (10 players making their first championship start) and they will need time. One thing that struck me was our lack of a natural corner forward, Murphy and O'Connor as good & stylish as they both are, are better suited to a play making centre forward role both are not blessed with blistering pace and Pat Hughes is a target man the likes of A Kyle Cawley, Stephen Coen or a David Kelly in years gone by would have been a massive lift. Hopefully Kyle will be back in next year. are there any other cornoer forwards of that ilk out there in the county? Young Hailstones from SG perhaps. I thought Eamonn Kilgallon did well in goals, although he made some errors he recovered from them especially the save with his feet after a short kick out going astray, that game will have done him the world of good, I can seeing him being our keeper for the next 10 years or until Cadden returns home at least. Just to correct Tommy B, he may be correct on the J1 statement but most young men going over to play football will be on holiday visas as there is little or no paperwork involved and an esta only takes 48 hours approval so as soon is their county is knocked out the can be in the states in a matter of days (take Diarmuid O'Connor last year as an example) especially as any 'work' they will be doing, will be off the books anyways. So the worry about some of our young players heading off before the qualifiers is very much real. As pointed out already, regulations to play in Boston is not as strict as NY, Philly and Chicago are also viable options."
You didn't address the substantial point- the vast gulf in class between the two teams.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 22/05/2019 16:34:14    2186657

Link

Replying To tentonne:  "5 weeks is a long time to wait for round 2 of qualifiers. The challenge game circuit and training will be bit of a slog.
Word is there is a push to try keep some of players heading stateside.New York is only place county panelists cant go and rest of North America will happily take them so don't know what the radio is on about. Boston meant to be the destination for several panellists. Hard to blame players who could be gone and back again for championship in August .
Who would we want to get out of the Qualifiers? Hope that Waterford and London meet and we get winners??
The best football on Sunday was the Galway Junior side...we'd happily take a number of their players for senior squad. Their physicality and movement were massive. Disappointing display by what is probably a venture worth sticking with. There needs to be a better spread of teams represented surely though word is that players didn't want to know. Shouldn't be open to under 20s though.Make it a squad for players finished under 20 that need couple of years to develop and throw in a couple of solid older club players with them.
Agree with EoinOg on national school stuff. Looks like coaches are sent in to secondary schools but its younger they need to be targetted."
"Looks like coaches are sent in to secondary schools but its younger they need to be targetted"

Nail on head. BIG FOCUS

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 22/05/2019 17:07:49    2186664

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "upon reflection you have to admire the players the way they defended, in the first half especially, the goals as fortutious
as they were killed the game as a contest. Remember this is a very young team, (10 players making their first championship start) and they will need time. One thing that struck me was our lack of a natural corner forward, Murphy and O'Connor as good & stylish as they both are, are better suited to a play making centre forward role both are not blessed with blistering pace and Pat Hughes is a target man the likes of A Kyle Cawley, Stephen Coen or a David Kelly in years gone by would have been a massive lift. Hopefully Kyle will be back in next year. are there any other cornoer forwards of that ilk out there in the county? Young Hailstones from SG perhaps. I thought Eamonn Kilgallon did well in goals, although he made some errors he recovered from them especially the save with his feet after a short kick out going astray, that game will have done him the world of good, I can seeing him being our keeper for the next 10 years or until Cadden returns home at least. Just to correct Tommy B, he may be correct on the J1 statement but most young men going over to play football will be on holiday visas as there is little or no paperwork involved and an esta only takes 48 hours approval so as soon is their county is knocked out the can be in the states in a matter of days (take Diarmuid O'Connor last year as an example) especially as any 'work' they will be doing, will be off the books anyways. So the worry about some of our young players heading off before the qualifiers is very much real. As pointed out already, regulations to play in Boston is not as strict as NY, Philly and Chicago are also viable options."
O'Connor is a nice stylish player but hard to know where he is best suited to playing. It's a while since I've been convinced by him at county level.
Kilgannon a good lad too but I thought the kick outs sat up for the two Galway monsters in midfield. I agree though it could be a game that might bring him on You'd hope of he got a league campaign under his belt next year, he might come good enough.
Agree on the lack of pace inside. In hindsight probably would have been better off with Marren instead of Hughes when Galway were presented with so much time to drop a second man on him. Gaughan, Kyle Cawley and potentially Red óg are losses in that area.
Nathan Mullen was good too and I thought the full back line kept one of the best fullf orward lines relatively quiet.

The only other major concern is our midfield. Kilcoyne needs time but he's not huge and watching GOKL for the league, he is not at home there and McIntyre does his best work inside his own 50 in my opinion. McDonnell obviously was shown again to be a monumental loss.

But I can talk about players individually till the cows come home. They tried hard and are good lads but need a bit more help.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 22/05/2019 17:17:40    2186674

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  ""Looks like coaches are sent in to secondary schools but its younger they need to be targetted"

Nail on head. BIG FOCUS"
Coaches are going into national schools for last few years so hopefully in few years time start to see skill levels improving

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 349 - 22/05/2019 17:32:28    2186681

Link

Replying To muscles:  "Coaches are going into national schools for last few years so hopefully in few years time start to see skill levels improving"
Coaches are going into primary schools for 20+ years!

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 22/05/2019 22:39:36    2186745

Link

Coaches were in national schools in the 90s lol. Massive insights on here.

IT Sligo sports recreation and leisure course coaches do a few weeks a year in the national schools every year. Thats been happening for 15 years at least. Sligo GAA Coaches regularly visit the national schools a couple of times a year aswell. Club coaches too, usually the club coaching officer.

But here is the thing, our underage success at club level for me is mainly down to having a GAA fanatic headmaster in Grange National School, Grange NS went from not really competing in cumann na mbuscala to now winning it most years 8+. That filtered into the club for sure , i would say that is one of the major reasons we won quite a lot at underage last few years more so even than club coaching. Most of the parents coaching in the club don't really know much about football but fair play for volunteering. I would say 10% of the coaches are very good and to add into it we got lucky to have a great one, manager of the minors last year. National School coaching can trump Club coaching because you have more time with the kids but practising at home trumps it all. Most of our best players are self made in a lot of ways. I've seen this first hand, players from my club on the fringes of the u16 Sligo county team squad, spent their summers practising down at the field, 3 years later both starting for the minors and then u21s. Massively improved every aspect of their game.

Keeping good GAA people in the County and having the GAA fanatics who know what there doing interested is one the most important aspects. We have a very small amount of GAA families in Sligo compared to other counties. If your born into one, your practicising GAA from birth and that will always beat the 2x1hr training sessions you have a week and can override bad coaching. As Eamonn O Hara said the basis for his great goal in the Connacht final in 07 was born in his back garden with his Dad.

The apathy in Sligo GAA at the minute is our worst nightmare, our best players are filtering away. We are messing up all the good work at underage last few years through politics and lack of foresight. How are we viewing player development from underage to senior. Our physicality is behind other counties and this continues. How can we keep our best people engaged and involved across all aspects. Good GAA people are bored with our County Board making same mistakes year on year. We need some passion, inspiration and vision.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 23/05/2019 16:57:35    2186949

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Coaches were in national schools in the 90s lol. Massive insights on here.

IT Sligo sports recreation and leisure course coaches do a few weeks a year in the national schools every year. Thats been happening for 15 years at least. Sligo GAA Coaches regularly visit the national schools a couple of times a year aswell. Club coaches too, usually the club coaching officer.

But here is the thing, our underage success at club level for me is mainly down to having a GAA fanatic headmaster in Grange National School, Grange NS went from not really competing in cumann na mbuscala to now winning it most years 8+. That filtered into the club for sure , i would say that is one of the major reasons we won quite a lot at underage last few years more so even than club coaching. Most of the parents coaching in the club don't really know much about football but fair play for volunteering. I would say 10% of the coaches are very good and to add into it we got lucky to have a great one, manager of the minors last year. National School coaching can trump Club coaching because you have more time with the kids but practising at home trumps it all. Most of our best players are self made in a lot of ways. I've seen this first hand, players from my club on the fringes of the u16 Sligo county team squad, spent their summers practising down at the field, 3 years later both starting for the minors and then u21s. Massively improved every aspect of their game.

Keeping good GAA people in the County and having the GAA fanatics who know what there doing interested is one the most important aspects. We have a very small amount of GAA families in Sligo compared to other counties. If your born into one, your practicising GAA from birth and that will always beat the 2x1hr training sessions you have a week and can override bad coaching. As Eamonn O Hara said the basis for his great goal in the Connacht final in 07 was born in his back garden with his Dad.

The apathy in Sligo GAA at the minute is our worst nightmare, our best players are filtering away. We are messing up all the good work at underage last few years through politics and lack of foresight. How are we viewing player development from underage to senior. Our physicality is behind other counties and this continues. How can we keep our best people engaged and involved across all aspects. Good GAA people are bored with our County Board making same mistakes year on year. We need some passion, inspiration and vision."
Not when I was in school

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 24/05/2019 08:41:29    2187044

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Coaches were in national schools in the 90s lol. Massive insights on here.

The apathy in Sligo GAA at the minute is our worst nightmare, our best players are filtering away. We are messing up all the good work at underage last few years through politics and lack of foresight. How are we viewing player development from underage to senior. Our physicality is behind other counties and this continues. How can we keep our best people engaged and involved across all aspects. Good GAA people are bored with our County Board making same mistakes year on year. We need some passion, inspiration and vision."
Well written

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 24/05/2019 08:46:06    2187045

Link

The U17s who had a pretty successful Ulster league have lost to Galway in Tuam 0-15 to 1-10.

Galway down to 14 men for most the second half with the sides level at the time. Sligo missed easy chances early on by all accounts and dominated for long periods. Very disappointing but the manner of the defeat not surprising.

This results means we have to beat Roscommon and Leitrim to have any chance to get to the semis. Mayo hammered Roscommon 4-14 to 5 pts. Roscommon beat Galway last week.

Sligo play Mayo next week at home.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 24/05/2019 21:06:33    2187196

Link