Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To eoinog:  "Was there any need to put that up ?"
Well said.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 18/02/2019 16:21:09    2166177

Link

Totally disagree, it is a forum or a discussion board. After all we had to listen to the Guru Eoinog bladdering on last year how Tubber would win the championship!

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 47 - 20/02/2019 12:02:35    2166525

Link

Need a win in Louth. Is Murphy fit? I give us a chance of upsetting the odds

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 115 - 21/02/2019 12:59:03    2166767

Link

Replying To leyny:  "Totally disagree, it is a forum or a discussion board. After all we had to listen to the Guru Eoinog bladdering on last year how Tubber would win the championship!"
You are correct, it is a forum for discussion, but for a poster to throw up a negative one liner about a young inexperienced team playing a challenge match (irrespective of opposition or league table position) was not in keeping with the forum.
I am not sure why you appear annoyed about my prediction of Tubbercurry winning the Co Championship before a ball had been kicked last year in the Competition. I wasn't far off the mark, Great to see you follow my posts so much that you can memorise these things, indeed if Coolera had taken their chance Tourlestrane would not have made the final. Credit to them, they dug out a draw. I am also "bladdering' on for years about the coaching set up in the county and that we are failing each year to bring players through the ranks and until we get that sorted our Co Senior Team will be poor. We have hovered on Div 4 for the last number of years so it's no surprise that we are at same junction again. I would absolve present management as it's plain to see that the emphasis is on bringing new players into the set up, players who are at best average and may only have won a handful of games since they started playing for Sligo in their min teens. We need a win against Louth and our recent record up there is surprisingly good.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 22/02/2019 12:30:42    2166938

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "You are correct, it is a forum for discussion, but for a poster to throw up a negative one liner about a young inexperienced team playing a challenge match (irrespective of opposition or league table position) was not in keeping with the forum.
I am not sure why you appear annoyed about my prediction of Tubbercurry winning the Co Championship before a ball had been kicked last year in the Competition. I wasn't far off the mark, Great to see you follow my posts so much that you can memorise these things, indeed if Coolera had taken their chance Tourlestrane would not have made the final. Credit to them, they dug out a draw. I am also "bladdering' on for years about the coaching set up in the county and that we are failing each year to bring players through the ranks and until we get that sorted our Co Senior Team will be poor. We have hovered on Div 4 for the last number of years so it's no surprise that we are at same junction again. I would absolve present management as it's plain to see that the emphasis is on bringing new players into the set up, players who are at best average and may only have won a handful of games since they started playing for Sligo in their min teens. We need a win against Louth and our recent record up there is surprisingly good."
It wasn't a negative one liner, it was the score of a challenge game which is of interest to people here

We all know the challenge game implies a young inexperienced team but doesn't mean there isn't an interest in the outcome or score

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 349 - 22/02/2019 15:00:29    2166965

Link

Sligoman1234 was right to post the challenge result. Also, there were 2 posts taken down recently on here, obviously HS got the call from the CB. If you post anything negative even if its factual like a scoreline the narrative machine goes into the usual cycle, the CB would rather you not say anything if its negative about the state of Sligo football. Heaven bid our incompetence gets exposed or called out. Censorship.

Here are my thoughts on that challenge, I don't mind losing challenge games but getting hammered is not acceptable especially to that extent because it kills morale for the chasing 15 and ringfencing the place of the starting 15. Eoinog says he absolves current management of any blame for our current demise, that's laughable. They chose to play Mayo in a challenge, that is a huge error of judgment. Surely they would have expected and set us up to be competitive, they were only 40pts off. So Eoinog writes us off to Div4 like it should be completely acceptable and inevitable, OHara had similar sentiments for Corey last yr. I couldn't disagree more.

From what I am hearing, Taylor is far too easy-going, he barely flinched when we conceded 1-3 after half time against Laois when our defender was caught the wrong side of the attacker. Any chance of alternative keeper being utilized.

I've seen the team for tomorrow and some of the positionings are plain stupid and we have been there before, if I was louth I would be targetting the many weak spots. You can't absolve the management of these mistakes. you can't absolve them for whatever was said at HT against Laois to get such a poor reaction after. Taylor has spoken about the attitude at training being top class but our match attitude being well below par. He needs to step it up big time himself and stop being so passive on the line. He will learn a harsh reality tomorrow about certain positioning of players and it may cost us if Louth put pace where we are slow and test us in the air. The main criticism of the players is that we didn't get within 2/3 yards of our opposing players. Need to be much tighter tomorrow.

We have to beat Louth or we are relegated, Westmeath are our current target on 3pts, louth are already on 4pts but at least we play those 2 and offaly, and we just have to hope they get beaten elsewhere.

There is a huge turnover in players this year but that is partly down to the CB selecting Taylor and players turning away, they had to deal with Corey and Carew beforehand, can't be easy committing to this year after year.

Where are all the good footballers that came through Sligo minors 2015 and 2017, Sligo u21s 2017, Summerhill and St Attractas the last 5 years, with all that hard work and talent should really be so accepting our current state?

I read the Leitrim players article on Hyland for Leitrim and saying how it is such an improvement on previous setups but until then they didn't know any different. I see Joe Keane and Adam Speer previous setups and think what must they think about it all in Sligo and the disconnect between training and match days.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 23/02/2019 23:40:29    2167353

Link

Absolute disgrace from Sligo today.

SuperSligo (Sligo) - Posts: 24 - 24/02/2019 16:21:03    2167535

Link

Don't post the result lads, ye might offend Eoinog, the players, management and county board.

And when you read my post from before the game ask yourself this how in the hell does someone 6000 miles away know more about player positions and our weaknesses than current management. Louth had us figured out halfway through the first half (not hard), we were 6-3 up then at HT we were 3-8 to 0-8 down, they brought on Duffy, they scored a goal straight from sideline in 2nd half, how is that even possible, just shambolic. For CB now is Taylor viable for now never mind 2020. Our CB managerial selections have been a disaster. This is Leonard's first test as chairman. They should apologise to every fan who made that journey today I know I would.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 24/02/2019 16:47:53    2167550

Link

Some performance today by the sounds of it. Yet again straight from the half time break our opposition manage to score big and quick even when we're on the back foot. Shouldn't be happening and shows a clear disengagement from whatever is said in the dressing room moments earlier.

I make no apologies for posting a result as had been said they made the decision to have that game against that opposition. If they're offended by getting hammered then pick opposition who are less likely to do it. And anyway what was a team playing a challenge game on a week off after 3 league games on the trot and more to follow?

My only fear now is that seeing as we're shipping big losses to division 3 teams what is before us when we play Galway in Markievicz!

For 2020 it looks like we won't even get a local derby with our neighbours in Division 4.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 76 - 24/02/2019 19:58:33    2167663

Link

I was at the game today as I live in Slane now.
It is hard to know exactly where to start.
Full forward line won most of the ball in bit never had runners off the shoulder and louth's backs were tight so a lot of dispossession when the boys tried to turn. Our full/half back line were not tight and louth's forwards could turn and score easy.
Running from deep they scored goals at will. No Sligo boys seemed to bother or could track those runners and it looked at times like a junior team playing in the senior championship.
Some Sligo players seemed to struggle to get around the pitch with pace and that's another reason for the collapse when Louth turned the screw either side of half time.
Murphy made a lot of tireless runs but seemed to hurt his ankle before halftime and wasn't the same.

The positives were Sligo were patient with the ball and kept possession well at times and scored some good points.
If the management stays the same they are gonna have to sort the soft center.
A spell in div 4 might not be the worst because a run of victories will certainly help these lads for the most part can play ball and to be fair they battled to the end.
I think a very inexperienced team and an inexperienced manager is unfortunate but hey.

Peakay (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 24/02/2019 22:25:20    2167764

Link

Terrible result and performance today. It very clear that our management team are out of their depth. However i do have a degree of sympathy for them. Firstly having 3 of our first 4 games away was unfortunate. The loss to Down and manner of it was very unlucky. Add to that the turnover of players from 2017. Of panel of 30 that went to NY 2 years only 8/9 are available this year. The team that went out on field today however was all over the place. Most of the defence are playing out of position. Carr has never played in the full back line. How is he expected to be a success at county level playing in a position he has never played in. McHugh not a full back. OKL playing on middield, Cummins at wing back. Clueless stuff.
County board only seem to be concerned with cost savings. If you get a cheap management team on board who have no experience at managing at even club level you should not be surprised at the results that follow. Players are deciding to opt out K Cawley, Brehony, McDonnell, Kelly x 2 rather than play for management that are out of their depth.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 278 - 24/02/2019 22:42:22    2167772

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Terrible result and performance today. It very clear that our management team are out of their depth. However i do have a degree of sympathy for them. Firstly having 3 of our first 4 games away was unfortunate. The loss to Down and manner of it was very unlucky. Add to that the turnover of players from 2017. Of panel of 30 that went to NY 2 years only 8/9 are available this year. The team that went out on field today however was all over the place. Most of the defence are playing out of position. Carr has never played in the full back line. How is he expected to be a success at county level playing in a position he has never played in. McHugh not a full back. OKL playing on middield, Cummins at wing back. Clueless stuff.
County board only seem to be concerned with cost savings. If you get a cheap management team on board who have no experience at managing at even club level you should not be surprised at the results that follow. Players are deciding to opt out K Cawley, Brehony, McDonnell, Kelly x 2 rather than play for management that are out of their depth."
I'd agree in full with that. Bad luck can only account for so much. Conceeding 5 goals to Louth isn't in that bracket. Very disappointing.
No doubt a higher profile management team may have got more out of them. However, I will say that the lads stepping away have to have a look at themselves. I would have loved to have been good enough to pull on the black and white jersey.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 26/02/2019 09:37:18    2168248

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Sligoman1234 was right to post the challenge result. Also, there were 2 posts taken down recently on here, obviously HS got the call from the CB. If you post anything negative even if its factual like a scoreline the narrative machine goes into the usual cycle, the CB would rather you not say anything if its negative about the state of Sligo football. Heaven bid our incompetence gets exposed or called out. Censorship.

Here are my thoughts on that challenge, I don't mind losing challenge games but getting hammered is not acceptable especially to that extent because it kills morale for the chasing 15 and ringfencing the place of the starting 15. Eoinog says he absolves current management of any blame for our current demise, that's laughable. They chose to play Mayo in a challenge, that is a huge error of judgment. Surely they would have expected and set us up to be competitive, they were only 40pts off. So Eoinog writes us off to Div4 like it should be completely acceptable and inevitable, OHara had similar sentiments for Corey last yr. I couldn't disagree more.

From what I am hearing, Taylor is far too easy-going, he barely flinched when we conceded 1-3 after half time against Laois when our defender was caught the wrong side of the attacker. Any chance of alternative keeper being utilized.

I've seen the team for tomorrow and some of the positionings are plain stupid and we have been there before, if I was louth I would be targetting the many weak spots. You can't absolve the management of these mistakes. you can't absolve them for whatever was said at HT against Laois to get such a poor reaction after. Taylor has spoken about the attitude at training being top class but our match attitude being well below par. He needs to step it up big time himself and stop being so passive on the line. He will learn a harsh reality tomorrow about certain positioning of players and it may cost us if Louth put pace where we are slow and test us in the air. The main criticism of the players is that we didn't get within 2/3 yards of our opposing players. Need to be much tighter tomorrow.

We have to beat Louth or we are relegated, Westmeath are our current target on 3pts, louth are already on 4pts but at least we play those 2 and offaly, and we just have to hope they get beaten elsewhere.

There is a huge turnover in players this year but that is partly down to the CB selecting Taylor and players turning away, they had to deal with Corey and Carew beforehand, can't be easy committing to this year after year.

Where are all the good footballers that came through Sligo minors 2015 and 2017, Sligo u21s 2017, Summerhill and St Attractas the last 5 years, with all that hard work and talent should really be so accepting our current state?

I read the Leitrim players article on Hyland for Leitrim and saying how it is such an improvement on previous setups but until then they didn't know any different. I see Joe Keane and Adam Speer previous setups and think what must they think about it all in Sligo and the disconnect between training and match days."
In fairness to Hyland he is doing a good job ( getting a fair rub of the green too which is needed), but Leitrim was moving in the right direction the last 2-3 years. Last years campaign started with 2 tough games that we came out the wrong side of and when that happened all momentum was lost. We still hammered Limerick, Waterford and few other teams in challenges before the snow ended our involvement in the league. New York put out a very good side which we got over by skin of our teeth. But apart from Roscommon game (which was an improvement on the previous year) we always seemed to be moving forward and improving our performances. Hammering Louth by double scores and giving Monaghan plenty of headaches in the first half also showed these young men were standing up and counted. Now with more players back and a good run in for the league things are eventually falling into place results wise. I do hope Sligo somehow pull it out of the bag as Div 4 is a hard place to get out of. But importantly for ye as supporters you need to see some signs of improvement from game to game, some hope is all diehards fans need and looking at the result against Louth doesn't give that. I do hope we will meet in Div 3 of the league next year all working out for both teams.

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 27/02/2019 11:13:58    2168632

Link

I have been too all four games and In my 40 years of watching Sligo GAA this is the worst team I have sen in those years. Yes we know these lads are young but a lot of other teams have young squads and are coping fine. I think its not just the players fault but it is from the top down. All the county board are worried about is money and staying in profit. They do not want to spend money too better our senior team and underage set ups. I see players have walked away and these players owe Sligo Gaa nothing in my opinion. They have gave up their lives for long enough to play with Sligo GAA so I dont see anything wrong with it.

By watching the four games I do not see this team winning one game this season and what I am afraid of is that we could very well find ourselves in division 4 for years to come as I dont think players that should be playing will commit at all.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Stephen Coen has been stationed in Monaghan with work and is transferring club and that he has joined up with the Monaghan squad doing his rehab but wont be back playing until the Ulster Championship starts. Heard this today. If so wish him the very best, Top forward. We could do with him this year.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 79 - 27/02/2019 19:52:01    2168778

Link

Sligo team to play tomorrow.
Devaney
Gordon
Laffey
Carr
Cummins
McIntyre
Mullan
OKL
Kilcoyne
Ewing
Carrabine
McKenna
Gaughan
Hughes
Murphy

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 02/03/2019 16:33:26    2169438

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Some performance today by the sounds of it. Yet again straight from the half time break our opposition manage to score big and quick even when we're on the back foot. Shouldn't be happening and shows a clear disengagement from whatever is said in the dressing room moments earlier.

I make no apologies for posting a result as had been said they made the decision to have that game against that opposition. If they're offended by getting hammered then pick opposition who are less likely to do it. And anyway what was a team playing a challenge game on a week off after 3 league games on the trot and more to follow?

My only fear now is that seeing as we're shipping big losses to division 3 teams what is before us when we play Galway in Markievicz!

For 2020 it looks like we won't even get a local derby with our neighbours in Division 4."
We will have to agree to disagree on your post re challenge game. No idea in the first place why it took place. When I say present Mgt is absolved I am talking about the teams fortunes as a whole and not one game. The present Mgt inherited a team on a downward spiral for the last number of years from outside managers. I fully believe we needed a local man and nobody else was interested only Taylor and I am going to be give him 100% backing for this year. Interesting that a Leitrim poster mentioned that they are on an upward spiral the last few years and as I said we are the opposite. People have mentioned players pulling out of the squad. Kevin Mc Donnell did not pull out. He is injured.Very unfair to tar him with that brush. David Kelly never regained his form after that ankle injury and is very prone to injury. I can see why he won't play, no player wants to play when he can't regain his form. Breheny got sent off 3 times in last year's Championship in Sligo. Enough said on that. Didn't hear of Coen moving but there is not a snow balls chance that he will be in the Monaghan set up. Players leave Co panels in every county, the most obvious is Diarmuid Connolly. How long did it take for us to coax Mc Intyre to join with us a few years ago.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 03/03/2019 12:30:32    2169667

Link

With 12 goals given away in the first 5 games, is there not a case for giving the number 16 a chance?

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 434 - 03/03/2019 19:26:02    2169814

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "With 12 goals given away in the first 5 games, is there not a case for giving the number 16 a chance?"
Seems to be undroppable. Should have made that change before league started.

SuperSligo (Sligo) - Posts: 24 - 03/03/2019 19:58:58    2169840

Link

Replying To SuperSligo:  "Seems to be undroppable. Should have made that change before league started."
How many years will we go on with the same?
Though to be fair, I wouldn't necessarily point the finger at him the last two games. Ease of allowing turnovers and our defensive shape was disgraceful. Management have to take some flak for that.

I agree with it being a year with a large turnover of new blood but that's no excuse for being mauled in games and dropping out of the division after 5 games. I said after the first round that I'd get over relegation if we were growing to something long term and went down fighting. At the moment that's hard to see. An U-20 setup that's just started (why did this take so long to setup) and many of our young players not in with the county. It's really unfortunate that it has come to this

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 04/03/2019 09:49:30    2169993

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "How many years will we go on with the same?
Though to be fair, I wouldn't necessarily point the finger at him the last two games. Ease of allowing turnovers and our defensive shape was disgraceful. Management have to take some flak for that.

I agree with it being a year with a large turnover of new blood but that's no excuse for being mauled in games and dropping out of the division after 5 games. I said after the first round that I'd get over relegation if we were growing to something long term and went down fighting. At the moment that's hard to see. An U-20 setup that's just started (why did this take so long to setup) and many of our young players not in with the county. It's really unfortunate that it has come to this"
U20s were not allowed come together till march 1st. County board wouldn't ratify a manager till the February meeting. Cummins was begged to take it again even though he didn't want it.
Clubs aren't letting some players go in to the set up now. The whole county is a mess.

Peter Greene was brought in years ago to sort out the financial mess. It's time a Director of Football was brought in to sort this mess.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 04/03/2019 12:37:17    2170071

Link